Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

Simple solution - Block the footer.

If you don't have the Element Hiding Helper, just add this to your AdBlock rule list manually:

dragcave.net###footer

Until TJ fixes the problem, this is probably the best band-aid fix.

Thanks for the suggestion! IT worked & I can go back to the default skin which I liked the best. biggrin.gif

I rather like the new layout, though I think they should be ordered differently (honestly I never really liked the weird order they were in *before*), but the problem with adblock/having to switch skins is a bit bothersome, to say the least. D: I mean, I really don't mind disabling adblock for DC or at least switching to Blackout to do something, since I like Blackout enough, but it's just one more step.

I can't see how it's "too easy to click the wrong thing" when the actions seem to be more spaced out with the text than before...I guess they DID have more line breaks before, though. o3o Maybe if those were brought back or some other kind of spacer put in, it might help the page not look so cluttered, yet still compact?

But the *order* drives me crazy, still. I don't see why the negative "Kill" action is first on the lists. I also realize the layout of the actions is shared for every stage, but I really think it might be best if the actions that *can't* be done to a certain stage are either taken out OR put at the bottom of the list. I'd prefer taken out entirely, because if you can't do it anyway, why is it there? Then again, I do like that it tells you "only ___ can be ____", so maybe moving them out of the way is better.

But really, I feel like the actions should go...

•eggs: Hide>Abandon> Kill

•(growing) hatchlings: Hide>Name>Abandon>Freeze>Kill

•frozen hatchlings: Name>Describe>Release>Kill

•adults: Name>[Describe]>Breed (if applicable)>BSA (if applicable)>>[Describe]>Release>Kill

(Describe could go in either place, I think)

For the double columns, it would place them like

1, 2

3, 4

etc, instead of

1, 3

2, 4

or whatever, kind of like how it is now.

I just *really* don't like how the actions have ever been set up. I want Kill at the bottom, since I rarely use it and it's an extremely limited, negative action. D: I also wouldn't want Release near the top because I don't release my dragons. I'd rather them be out of the way.

I do not like the new layout for the Actions page. It is very hard to read and too easy to click the wrong thing. There was nothing that knew of that was broken in the original layout. Change for change's sake isn't always for the best.

o.0 Insert Harry Potter reference here...

I do agree with it being a lot harder to find the actions you want, and that the order of actions makes no sense.

Hmm. Well, I just clicked on Breed rather than Influence on my pink dragon's action page, so yeah. I'll get used to where things are eventually. However, for me at least, there is a visual disconnect between the action link and the description. I think it's basically because the link is on a separate line from the description. Yes, yes, I know they were that way before. With the new layout it doesn't connect to the action for me visually, where before it didn't seem to be a problem.

Rather than :

Link

<indent> description

Perhaps try something like:

Link - description.

That would visually connect the action to the description.

I hope this get fixed soon. I don't know how to ad somthing manualy to the adblock list, so I have to disable it if I want anything eles done, exept killing or releasing. Just super annoing plus I really hate to disable it, got a reason why I had it installed in the first place. And I don't like the two colums, but thats something I will get used to at some point.

Hmm. Well, I just clicked on Breed rather than Influence on my pink dragon's action page, so yeah. I'll get used to where things are eventually. However, for me at least, there is a visual disconnect between the action link and the description. I think it's basically because the link is on a separate line from the description. Yes, yes, I know they were that way before. With the new layout it doesn't connect to the action for me visually, where before it didn't seem to be a problem.

Rather than :

Link

<indent> description

Perhaps try something like:

Link - description.

That would visually connect the action to the description.

Removing the indent may help as well since these are sentences, not paragraphs (if it stays on two separate lines).

Edited by Jazeki

View the page without page style - that's another work-around. That's what I'm doing.

I don't mind having two columns at all, I'll get used to that. I do think the order of the actions could be improved though, like "hide" should be first, then "abandon" etc. Sorted by the frequency people are probably using it.

About the adblock thing - I did actually disable adblock just to try it out. Clicking on the action links on the actions page took me to spam/ad sites. I do NOT mean clicking on the ads did this, just regular playing caused it.

I don't care why this happened to me, whether it is my fault, DC's fault, googleads fault, whatever. Adblock is switched back on.

Right, that has happened to me a time or two, too. When I was playing without blocking ads that is. But definitely not often. Still, I'm rather safe than sorry. unsure.gif

I say AGAIN... there was NOTHING wrong with the action page to start with, therefore it DID NOT NEED FIXING!!!!! PLEASE! revert back to the original page.

Exactly. There are actual studies about ideal line lengths that would say that not only was the old action page not in need of fixing, but it was actually better than the new page.

I really hope TJ looks at some of those articles I referenced in my previous post (I could give links if needed). This isn't just a case of people not liking change, or adblock issues, or wanting to complain.

edited one word for clarification

Edited by diaveborn

Yeahhh I'm not a huge fan of the new layout either. I would prefer it to be changed back.

Aside from that, I have Adblock, I am not disabling it for any reason, and I don't want to change my skin every time I want to name a dragon.

Using Tab and Enter to select the right link works, though, so it's not overly crippling.

I do however get the feeling that, rather than the bug itself, the fact that nothing is being done for those of us with Adblock besides disabling it is indeed a push to either get the subscription or disable the addon. My two cents.

First, I don't understand why this change was *made* in the first place. It wasn't needed. The actions page wasn't huge and hard to navigate or anything like that. WHY did this happen, exactly?

Second, I do use AdBlock on DragonCave because let's face it, some ads are annoying or flashing, and some *may* lead to viruses. I will NOT compromise my NEW computer to be able to do actions on this website. I've seen workarounds mentioned, why on earth should we NEED workarounds just to play the game?!

My opinion, just my opinion:

1.I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have issues with the changes. I have an ad-free account, but my sister didn't have problems either and she doesn't have an ad-free account, so that is not necessarily the issue.

2.Ad-free accounts were not originally TJ's idea. Members suggested it and TJ adopted it. As far as I know he doesn't try to push it on us.

3.Other than disabling adblock, there are other workarounds and other ad-blocking options that will work.

4.Although the change is not something I embrace, I would get used to it in time.

5.I hope that with all the negative feedback TJ reconsiders this change, but it doesn't have so drastic an effect for me that I would consider leaving over it.

I am facing this issue as well. I do like the layout, but the fact that I can't click on anything except for the first row of things makes it impossible to do anything on the site for now. I'm sure it will get fixed soon, and I'm not going to flip tables or anything over it, but i do agree that it is frustratingly game-breaking.

I currently use the Portal 2 Dark skin.

I've blocked the footer for now, which at least allows me to access actions, but it creates a layout error that is rather unappealing to the eye.

Edited by PieMaster

I hope this get fixed soon. I don't know how to ad somthing manualy to the adblock list, so I have to disable it if I want anything eles done, exept killing or releasing. Just super annoing plus I really hate to disable it, got a reason why I had it installed in the first place. And I don't like the two colums, but thats something I will get used to at some point.

I'm using Adblock Edge, for me it works like this:

1. Click the Adblock icon.

2. Click "filter preferences".

3. On the left, chose the tab "custom filters"

4. Create a new filter group (might not be necessary if you add it to an existing one)

5. If you're not seeing the filters on the right side of the window, click "actions" and "show/hide filters"

6. Add a new filter by clicking "Add filter" (on the top, right side)

7. Copy the code CNR posted in the line that appears

8. Click "Close"

That worked for me smile.gif

ETA: Here's the code:

The footer, which moved upwards in the Actions page with the ad bar blocked, is causing the problem.

Simply add this rule to your AdBlock rules and you should be able to click on the links:

dragcave.net###footer

It is meant to be a band-aid fix, of course. Until TJ fixes the footer, you are pretty much forced to choose between turning AdBlock on and off, changing to an unaffected skin and blocking the footer like I did.

Edited by Ha-Ki

The page looks like it's been fixed, at least for me. The copyright notice is no longer shoved up amongst the actions (despite the fact that I use AdBlock on the Cave because it slows down my catching - I have it disabled on the forums) and everything looks far more even and neatly arranged. I actually like the change now, though it will still take me a bit to get used to it.

Edits for stupid typos.

Edited by LibbyLishly

The "bandaid fix" suggested by CNR4806 seems to be working for me, for now.

But why in the seven hells was this change made??

I can't get the band aid fix to work (Chrome/Default skin), I either have to pause adblock anytime I want to perform an action or use the Blackout theme. Neither are satisfactory solutions and the page looks horrible now.

The page looks like it's been fixed, at least for me. The copyright notice is no longer shoved up amongst the actions (despite the fact that I use AdBlock on the Cave because it slows down my catching - I have it disabled on the forums) and everything looks far more even and neatly arranged. I actually like the change now, though it will still take me a bit to get used to it.

In light of this, can people try clearing their cache again and letting me know if you see the update or if it looks the same?

Looks the same, can't click anything except the mentioned actions.

Firefox, Adblock, Portal 2.

In light of this, can people try clearing their cache again and letting me know if you see the update or if it looks the same?

Still is the same. I cannot click any action. I really dislike this change.

I'm using Adblock Edge, for me it works like this:

1. Click the Adblock icon.

2. Click "filter preferences".

3. On the left, chose the tab "custom filters"

4. Create a new filter group (might not be necessary if you add it to an existing one)

5. If you're not seeing the filters on the right side of the window, click "actions" and "show/hide filters"

6. Add a new filter by clicking "Add filter" (on the top, right side)

7. Copy the code CNR posted in the line that appears

8. Click "Close"

That worked for me smile.gif

OMG THIS WORKED FOR ME TOO THANK YOU SOOO MUCH *sobs gently* It's been so frustrating turning adblock on and off for every action OTL

Unfortunately in my case (and many others I'm sure) I HAVE to have adblock on constantly. I literally live on a mountain and my connection is TERRIBLE. My bandwidth is so bad and even just the few times I've had to turn adblock on and off to use the actions it took waaaay more time and almost all my sanity just to preform those actions because of how slow the ads make my connection run.

So yeah. To all the people saying to just 'put up with the ads, it won't kill you': I know I don't HAVE to use adblock - but then I wouldn't be able to play DC much at all or even come into the forums so- :T

Does everyone expect TJ to pay out of pocket for us to collect dragons?

No--but several of us block all ads across all sites due to the simple reason of we cannot afford to fix or replace our computer if an infected ad slips through. Now, that's no fault of TJ's about bad ads getting in. He does what he can when we let him know they exist. He doesn't get to personally screen every single ad before it displays to a user to ensure there's nothing wrong with it.

But not everybody has money to throw at a game subscription just to make sure their computer doesn't get screwed over beyond their financial ability to fix, either. It seems like a small amount, but sometimes you just can't spare the money at all. Especially when you have a free option that will protect your computer that you're already using to keep it safe from every other website.

Now, that said, TJ doesn't seem like the type to be stupid enough to intentionally screw his potential revenue source over in an attempt to force them to pay up to play his game and protect their computer from a feature he includes on his own game at the same time. It's probably just something in the code broke something with adblock, and it's not a conspiracy to force us to pay.

Personally, my issue with it is that I dislike the look of the new layout. I much prefer how it looked before and would rather see it go back to that. It doesn't seem well handled, really. I dislike the 2-column layout, and I especially hate that "kill" is the first action for adults. I'd rather see something like

(Re)Name Describe

Breed Release

Kill

Or at least

(Re)Name Describe

Release Kill

Breed

I just don't like kill and release being the top options.

Though I thought the old look was neater, this seems messier.

@Sock--Still doing it for me, too. Using Chrome.

Still bugging for me; using oldOpera. I hard refreshed before checking just to be sure, too.

I'd still like to know why this change was made in the first place; there is no benefit to the change even when you take bugs out of the picture.

I have been playing on my phone since the issues started, i was egglocked and couldnt hunt, so just been Reading the forums a bit and looking trough the ap. I have no problems on my phone and tbh i am scared to turn on my computer and look.

I use adblock and do so for a reason. I Will not turn it of. Also use the default because thats what i like best.

I guess i'm going to wait till things get fixed , when i have issues on my computer.

I cant hunt on my phone, but everything else works perfectly.

I dont see why i should turn something of thats always worked perfectly for me.