Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

The hatchling page is at least even, but the egg and adult pages look STUPID.

I say AGAIN... there was NOTHING wrong with the action page to start with, therefore it DID NOT NEED FIXING!!!!! PLEASE! revert back to the original page.

This. All of this.

I don't like the new action page either. IMO, it simply looks much worse. I also have a problem with instinctively finding the action I was looking for, and end up clicking the wrong link :/

I'm not a big fan of changes for changes' sake. I know some people like change because they often get bored, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Instead of layout rearrangement, I'd rather see something practical, like a message "You have a new trade offer" displaying like the sickness message to catch one's attention.

Question: If an action would be unavailable anyhow, do we really need it on the action page? For example: On the egg, page, since we can not describe anyhow, why not remove it?

If its just there as a matter of consistency, ok, sure. However, its already acknowledging that the action is not available due to the age, so why not just have it not show up at all?

UGH I haven't been able to click ANY of the links (okay, save for "kill" but WHY WOULD I WANT THAT LMAO) on the new action page all day *weeps into hands*

EDIT: Nvm, I found the answer in other threads - looks like I'll have to disable Ad-block to use the actions. *Sigh* That's gonna get a lil' annoying 8DDDD (because it worked fine before the action page update? I don't see what would be different now---)

Edited by Slater_C

First of all, the new action page looks like a mess, and is in need of either a revert or serious fixing, and since the others have elaborated so well I may as well not bother to repeat everything.

On top of that, unusable actions need to be greyed out (or at least a different color) for all skins. Right now the only visual clue that an action is unusable on 1960's is the lack of an underline and the different text, and both are not something that really stick out.

Furthermore, the footer (the Paypal/players online/copyrights/etc section) jumps up to the action section for AdBlock users if the right side has less actions than the left side, requiring them to block the footer as well (or unblock the ad, if you're having an unrealistic dream) in order to not make this mess look like a landfill.

user posted image

Fig: I bet few would realize that "Breed" is unavilable at the first glance, and most would find the footer completely out of place.

Edited by CNR4806

The new layout for the actions page is definitely not user friendly, especially if you ever access this site on a smartphone or tablet. Since the page needs to be zoomed out farther in order to fit both columns, the links are quite small and much harder to read and click. If your eyesight isn't that great, I'm guessing that you're probably going to have a lot of trouble if you try to access the DC actions page on a mobile device. sad.gif

user posted image

It seems that when Ad is blocked, the page footer covers up the action area, so we cannot click on any action below the first line?

This is the first change that has actually made me reconsider whether I can be bothered to play sad.gif I've been cross about others - but one that requires me to disable adblock is a step FAR too far.

It seems that when Ad is blocked, the page footer covers up the action area, so we cannot click on any action below the first line?

Simple solution - Block the footer.

If you don't have the Element Hiding Helper, just add this to your AdBlock rule list manually:

dragcave.net###footer

Until TJ fixes the problem, this is probably the best band-aid fix.

Edited by CNR4806

Simple solution - Block the footer.

If you don't have the Element Hiding Helper, just add this to your AdBlock rule list manually:

dragcave.net###footer

Until TJ fixes the problem, this is probably the best band-aid fix.

This really helps. Thanks!

This is the first change that has actually made me reconsider whether I can be bothered to play sad.gif I've been cross about others - but one that requires me to disable adblock is a step FAR too far.

Same for me. Some of the ads I am shown I consider offensive, because they use sexist and misogynistic imagery. I can report them, but they just keep coming back.

I don't mind seeing ads. I mind seeing ads that are offensive to me. Unfortunately ad settings have still not progressed to the point where I can simply say "do not show me ads that use x, y and z imagery", so I have to resort to turning off ads altogether.

I understand showing ads is a way for sites to support themselves. I also require the freedom not to be confronted unasked by images that I find offensive. I realise it's a fine line.

So for now I have adblock on and turn it off if I need to do an action, hope I don't see another pair of laciviously portrayed legs on my screen and turn it on again when I'm done.

Well, I use an adblocker, too. Because I've heard once too often that there are ads that infect your computer with nasty stuff you can't get rid of without paying a fortune for it being done right.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2nltxqw.jpg

At least for Portal 2, that was fixed. Have you tried clearing your cache?

(I have an ad-free subscription, so the ads don't show for me, either.)

I'm not disabling adblock to fix this because 1. ads have never shown up for me in the first place (all I have ever gotten is the guilt-trippy "DON'T BLOCK ADS" banners), and 2. ads slow my browser way the heck down. Even besides that, it's a visually ugly change.

If this change stays I'm probably going to quit. Pixel dragons, no matter how pretty, aren't worth the effort.

While I don't like the set up of the new action page, I am not having any trouble using said actions. I block ads via the HOSTS file, just to give folks another option for blocking ads that won't cause other issues (more info here on what the HOSTS file does). Only negative to it I know of is that you can't 'whitelist' a site to allow for ads.

Why has the actions page not been fixed yet? With so many users having trouble and a lot of people saying they are going to quit over it wouldn't it be easier just to put the original code back and have it the way it was before?

Please fix this TJ before people start to quit the game!!!!

Why has the actions page not been fixed yet? With so many users having trouble and a lot of people saying they are going to quit over it wouldn't it be easier just to put the original code back and have it the way it was before?

Please fix this TJ before people start to quit the game!!!!

TJ said it is down to our browsers, not the site....

I don't like the actions layout, but my issue ( as I stated before) is because "KILL" is the first thing available!!!! and the actions one uses most are on the other side or at the bottom!!( and the footer thing is oddly placed)

OH and I have adblock on- - and have no trouble seeing the whole page or doing actions- though I haven't tried to un-name anything since it wouldn't work yesterday---

EDIT:

the footer on my actions page has now been moved to the "normal" placing unsure.gif

Edited by dragonpuck

It sucks cause I need Adblock on. This to me is just trying to make us pay to remove ads which I will not do. I really hate the new look and I prefer the old look instead. If this was to try something new out, it is horrible.

At least for Portal 2, that was fixed. Have you tried clearing your cache?

(I have an ad-free subscription, so the ads don't show for me, either.)

Yep, it's the first thing I do. tongue.gif

Now I just block the entire footer along with ads... It seems that only action page have this issue.

Ok why was it changed. Just why.

I LIKED having everything all neatly on one side of the page, with the underlines and little blurbs of text saying what does what.

What was the reason for the change?

---

As for the being unable to do things, i figured out how to disable adblock for specific pages, so I disabled it for dragcave.net/actions*

If it makes any difference im on a mac, but with this i dont need to turn adblock off completely and the actions page works fine~

Edited by Whitefire

This is the first change that has actually made me reconsider whether I can be bothered to play sad.gifI've been cross about others - but one that requires me to disable adblock is a step FAR too far.

Agreed. Infected ads are the only reason any computer I've had has been infected with viruses. Adblock keeps that from happening, and I haven't had a virus since I installed it. I will not disable Adblock on any site for any reason. If the site doesn't work with it enabled, I will not visit that site anymore.

One of the skins does work the way it's suppose to though (Blackout), so...yeah. I switched to that one for now.

Edited by Allspice

i really don't like having the two columns now sad.gif i keep clicking on the wrong actions and i can't do anything but kill and release with my ad-block on. but when i do turn ad-block off the page keeps trying to reload to load the ad-pages which is slowing down my load time or making the page constantly reload. also my browser doesn't allow redirecting/reloading without my permission so my page keeps getting bumped down to ask if its ok. -.-

i really don't want to have to change all the settings on my browser just to play DC sad.gif i don't see why the action page needed changed anyway but this will definitely keep me from playing the game as much cuz its just annoying to have to keep changing my settings.

Edited by FireMercury

TJ, I'm telling you straight out.. I will NOT turn my adblock off. Making changes that require your customers to disable programs they use to protect their computers is BAD BUSINESS. If your changes make it hard for me to play the game, then I'll just not play it anymore and you will lose a customer of many years standing.

Now if you will consider a compromise, so will I. Quit using animated ads and flash ads, and use only plain image or plain text ads and I will designate DC a trusted site for my adblock program. But as long as you insist on using animation and flash, my adblock will remain enabled.

Beyond that, I find the page ugly and annoying. The two column style is totally unneeded for such a short page.