TJ09

2021-08-22 - August Dragon Release

These are beautiful adults! My "To collect" list is ever expanding! Damn you, spriters! You're doing too good of a job! 😆

Ho ho.... So the Pyropellis gets flames from it's mates or parents, interesting.  So in theory the one you get from the cave should THEORETICALLY be 'fireless' as we stole the egg and we don't really have any fire to give it (unless we have flints to set it on fire I guess, which would make normal orange fire?)  Anyways, if so, then comes the question, if you breed a flame bearing dragon with the fireless, the Pyropellis should get the color of that 'mate' and the child should get that color aswell (as from parents).  BUT if you then maybe breed it with a WATER type, would that douse the fire and you can try breeding it to a new fire bearing dragon of another color and changing it's color?  Curious and interesting to try.  (someone has already theorized the water dousing idea, I'm just wondering if you could keep changing their color)

I have an idea the Fire Gems are probably a good choice for most of the colors.  Possibly the Blazeback, Carina, Falconiform, Arcana, Desipis, Hellfires, Hellhorses, and the Pyro Xeno.  (these are the ones I can see fire in their sprite, but there's probably other fire aligned.)  Water to test with are the waterhorses and other water based sea dragons, BUT I wonder, what if mixed with them with the turpentine dragon?  They're both covered in oil, and some fires are killed by dousing it in cold oil/grease.  Also, what if we bred them to an electric-type dragon like the electric or bolt dragons?  Those cause fires, just a spark would be enough to set the scales on fire.  Or magma based dragons?  Though all of these would likely make plain orange flames as specialty flames usually connected to a species/color of dragon.

Also looks like I'm gonna have to wait a bit to make the skittish variant of the Shumoga, since I'll be messing with eggs for awhile and I don't wanna pop out my others eggs XD

Edited by ironmaiden66

First and foremost: EEEEEEKKKK!!!! *ahem* That's seriously my reaction to these adults. Unfortunately I think the 'skittish' Shumoga looks so much more interesting sprite-wise than the pale one, that coloring plus that pose is just wonderful! Thank goodness I can just use Kill instead of risking EQ, I definitely need some of these adults. ..... I always forget to actually try making Zombies so Kill slots won't be as much of a problem, those I will have to actually remember to not let the egg hatch normally, lol.  (I do agree with others about the legs getting a little lost, especially that right hind leg just blends in and it's hard to see an actual foot...)

The Pyropellis, okay first off we now have *how* many breeds that start with Pyro?? This one, Pyro Xeno, Pyrovar, and you could count Pyralspite too... I guess a 'pyro' prefix is pretty popular. Anyways, THOSE FLAMES!!!! I'm so freaking excited about those flames oh my goodness. I'll be honest, while I liked the flames on the s2 hatchies I wasn't overly wowed by them in general, but these adults omg. The bald one makes me lean towards breed-only alts, flame-color dependent on what the parent is bred with.... Though I guess it still could be a BSA or breeding affecting the *parent* instead of the resulting egg... And the fact that all TJ's hatchies had one color of flame makes it more confusing, any regular users have s2 yet to compare? I love how big they look, those wings are just magnificent and, to me, makes it feel more stereotypically-dragon (as in, some DC dragons are dragons but don't really look like the stereotypical depictions of dragons, but these totally do, to me anyways). 

BALD??

new adults look incredible. i guess i was wrong with my 3 alts with dimorphism idea LOL but more flame colors is even better. i was halfway there.

my fave is the lime green and light blue because they're gonna go incredibly with omens, arcanas, and pitfires. love the shades, but i really hope we get a white fire dragon in the future!

has there been any confirmation on the fire color mechanics yet? there's no way i have time to read 10 pages today.

8 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

any regular users have s2 yet to compare?

I have seen a few, and they all have orange flame like TJ's did. But babies are given fire by their parents - as somebody pointed out, that means us in this case so *shrug*

Just now, steeve said:

BALD??

new adults look incredible. i guess i was wrong with my 3 alts with dimorphism idea LOL but more flame colors is even better. i was halfway there.

my fave is the lime green and light blue because they're gonna go incredibly with omens, arcanas, and pitfires. love the shades, but i really hope we get a white fire dragon in the future!

has there been any confirmation on the fire color mechanics yet? there's no way i have time to read 10 pages today.

Nobody can know until we start getting adults. All the hatchies were the same, so its an adult only alt which nobody can test yet.

1 minute ago, steeve said:

Unlikely to be any until users have adults to breed.

I'm a long-time user and I can't admit I've touched earthquake besides one curiosity attempt way back in the 2000s. I can't admit I'm overly fond of the "challenge" of a variant that comes about using that BSA because it is a hassle to have to ensure you have no other eggs that could be peripheral damage. But the compromise of the "kill" action working as well is much welcomed.

I do also wonder whether DC's tendency to try and work towards more dynamic alts and variants as of late is a good practice. It certainly diversifies the collection process on DC, but there are so many breeds at this point that it makes things very slow. I dream of having extra egg slots for "older" breeds, even though that's an impossibility, just to account for the massive amount of sprites to collect on the site. It must be far, far worse for someone who is newer.

edit: aaaand all the eggs I tried to kill were smashed successfully, that felt pointless, LOL.

Edited by Ashywolf

Let me just say how much i LOVE both of these bad boys. Rainbow flames. Nobody thought it would happen, but I believed in Doha. I really hope its a first mate determines color kind of deal.

Now the toothpaste babies.....my heart. The red highlights, the gold on the face and claw, the black/blue crow like wings. I need 20 and I need them yesterday. Anyone else notice how the wings are actually larger on the dark ones?

As for the lighter ones, the use of blue in place of the red, and black in place of the gold. Very nice.  Also love that the adults are spitting fire, we need more of those.

oh, duh. steeve will be offline for 24 hours and assume it's been 3 days.

in that case, i'll throw my hat in the ring. definitely leaning towards breeding for the alts, but i really hope the flame colors can be CB as well because orange doesn't go well with everything in a lineage. unless the flame on CB pyros will depend on day or time before hatching/maturing, i don't think they will be CB since all other breeds (undine, ridgewing, nebula) alt as hatchlings so they can be traded. it seems way too complicated to have 6 variants that are all random and won't be seen as adults : /

... but i'm still crossing my fingers that there IS a way to control the colors of a stolen egg in hopes of having a purely one-color flame lineage. really curious to see how this 'Pyropellis sporting flames unique to other species of dragons' mechanic will work in correlating color to mate. and very curious which color terrae will produce.

1 minute ago, Tini said:

Also love that the adults are spitting fire, we need more of those.

When we started looking for dragons that breathe fire to mate with the Pyropellis, I was surprised at how few there were. After all, isn't that what dragons do?

Wait a second, so do the darker alt Shumogas have to be hatched using EQ, or just have EQ used on them like green Cantos?

1 minute ago, Kovia said:

Wait a second, so do the darker alt Shumogas have to be hatched using EQ, or just have EQ used on them like green Cantos?

They must hatch by being forced, yes. You can use the Kill action too though, it's not just EQ thankfully.

Just now, 0x08 said:

They must be forced out of the egg using EQ.

That's... rather annoying. I'm not used to using EQ for anything, lol. Guess I'll have to get someone to hold one egg for me while I try to get some alts. Thanks.

I love both of the new dragon breeds, Shumoga and Pyropellis. Thank you to Infinis and Dohaerys for your work on these new dragons. It will take me a while to get some of the variations, but I'm looking forward to collecting many more of both breeds, and think there are some very beautiful lineage possibilities for both. <3

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Pretty dragons!

I love the wings on the Shumogas! But I am kind of with @random_dragon_collector about their legs -- can't quite figure out where the right hind leg is at all and the right foreleg is a bit hard to define. I guess I will have to try my luck with earthquake after all because the dark ones are so pretty. I don't have to like it though!

You can also use the Kill action to get a skittish!

17 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

When we started looking for dragons that breathe fire to mate with the Pyropellis, I was surprised at how few there were. After all, isn't that what dragons do?

Yeah there's very few actually breathing fire, but a number more On fire. which is funny.

Cheers to the gorgeous new dragons.

Jeers to being forced to endanger our eggs again.

6 minutes ago, Tini said:

Yeah there's very few actually breathing fire, but a number more On fire. which is funny.

We should maybe keep both lists, just in case either will do.

For those who hesitate to use EQ or Kill, may I suggest you keep an eye on the trading hub and the Community Notice Board in the Trading Forum (and ,of course the AP)? Yes, some of those being traded will likely be asking high prices, but not everyone, and others will be offering on the Community Notice Board as well as some Abandoning them for all to try for. This will be an opportunity for people having a difficult time catching rarer eggs to have a chance to get something to trade for them. Another "leveling of the playing field" for them.

33 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Unlikely to be any until users have adults to breed.

Even then, we'll probably have to wait another week or so before we can get any concrete results for when those breeding results grow up if the differences are really only visible on grown dragons.

17 minutes ago, Kovia said:

Guess I'll have to get someone to hold one egg for me while I try to get some alts.

This is something I wanted to ask about, for everyone in general; is there a thread for asking for a volunteer to hold eggs for quakers? I know we have a thread for asking people to pass eggs back and forth to undo BSAs (influence/incubate), but I don't know if the same thing applies for people who want to protect certain eggs from earthquake.

the great and powerful @MoonShark wrote the lore for the shumoga \o/

the near foot on the wild shumoga is hard to see just because of where it is - i did everything i could to mitigate it (yellow claws were one of those mitigations) already so no further adjustments will be coming

here is the EQ science thread for those who want to try EQ: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/188924-earthquake-science/

4 minutes ago, Myoukin said:

This is something I wanted to ask about, for everyone in general; is there a thread for asking for a volunteer to hold eggs for quakers? I know we have a thread for asking people to pass eggs back and forth to undo BSAs (influence/incubate), but I don't know if the same thing applies for people who want to protect certain eggs from earthquake.

I've seen people use this thread for this sort of thing: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/158260-random-scroll-help-and-missed-connections/

6 minutes ago, Myoukin said:

Even then, we'll probably have to wait another week or so before we can get any concrete results for when those breeding results grow up if the differences are really only visible on grown dragons.

People have been asking there since cantors, with no objection.