Tini

Earthquake Science!

I know there's a earthquake success and fail thread, but I thought it might be helpful to make one just for the science side of it. How to maximize survival and hatches. Given the new cantor, it's nice to have it at the start of a thread instead of buried. This won't be specific to the cantor, but I will give my own opinions on how to cantor.

I'm just pooling stuff from the last year or so of eq attempts in the unofficial discord. We have a few people that do it every release, and have been getting pretty good odds of survival recently. (Tending towards half of eggs hatching) I've mostly just helped viewbomb and hold eggs people wanted safe, only earthquaking for the first time this release.

All times are unincubated.

So, what are the unofficial rules to earthquake successfully? 

1. Eggs must be over 24 hours old in order to hatch. They can survive the attempt before that, but they won't hatch.
    • It may need to be 25 hours old, as most of the eggs earthquaked shortly after 24 hours died.
    • So, 5d23h to 5d19 hour remaining is a decent window to attempt.
  2. Cracks, they need to be cracked, s1 minimum, s3 is a good goal. The problem is you have to balance that with sickness.
    • What I mean by minimum vs goal is that they can hatch on s1 cracks, but have much better odds at s3 cracks. You just don't want it to die of sickness first.
    • Earthquaking later means you can have higher cracks with less sickness.
  3. Incubate doesn't really matter.
    • Unless you're going for the cantor, as if it survives but doesn't hatch, you can let it hatch normally and it will be green. Incubate before so it still hatches earlier if you want.
    • Otherwise you can incubate after.
    • Some people always incubate some people never incubate, it doesn't seem to help or hurt. 
  4. Its wise to ward shortly before the attempt, so the successful hatchies won't die, but you also maximize ward time.
    • Its not common to die after, but it really depends on how early you earthquaked and how long things have been sick.
    • (You can't ward hatchies)
  5. You should also fog just after, until at least a few hours after sickness wears off. Take a minute to show off your shiny new babies if you want, but then hide those suckers. Take no chances with them.

Some other things:

• Extremely early earthquake attempts (in the first few hours) seem to kill things a lot more often.
    • So even if you just want the cantor and want the success/fail out of the way, you should probably wait a day. 
    • Not much testing has been done on this as after we discovered the inability to hatch that young we stopped trying.
  • Just because an egg survives one eathquake doesn't mean it will survive more. Many times people just use earthquake until all the eggs are gone, and there are deaths on further earthquakes.

I'm not going to try and dig through all the logs for hard data, but just for some recent data to back this up.

• When pitfires happened we had multiple people lose all or all but one egg when earthquaking at 24 and a half hours old. It was very sad.
  • Original cantor release (when everyone waited a few extra hours) had an average of 6/8 egg survival.
  • March release people were in all hour ranges (down to the high 4 day area), and had about 50% odds.
  • April release were around ~5d20h with about 60% odds
  • As mentioned, early eq attempts have been mass killing this release, but more normal attempts (~5d19h) have had about 5/8 survival.

There are of course some people that just get unlucky and lose more no matter the time or crack stage, but the goal is to maximize chances of successes, not guarantee them. Its still earthquake.

If you don't want to risk any other eggs, find a friend or two to hold your other eggs for a few minutes. 

We now have a google doc and in the interest of doing Science, a form.

Egg #:
Time Remaining:

Crack Stage:

Sick?:

Incu?:

Result:

Example

Spoiler

Egg #:1
Time Remaining: 5d6

Crack Stage: s5

Sick?: n

Incu?: n

Result: hatch

Edited by Tini

Numbers we still need for data are eqs before 24 hours or near incuhatchable/hatchable times, and extensive crack stage tracking. However, for now it looks like best odds are getting to s3-s5 crack, 5d20h or under.

- 7 eggs, some 5d9h some 5d 18h. all s4 & incubated. 4d18h sick

-- 1st try: 3 hatches, 2 deaths, 2 unaffected 

-- further eq = 1 death right away, 1 hatch after multiple unaffected eqs 

- total 4 hatches, 3 deaths (1 4d9h death, 2 4d18h deaths)

- 8 freshly bought cantors, all incubated.

- total 6/8 deaths, 2 survivors 

Edited by Shadowdrake

So are there disadvantage on odds if I do s5 crack at 4d 12hrs? If it doesn't I'll try eq at incuhatchable moment.

26 minutes ago, Tini said:

I hope this helps some of you get the new cantor! And if you don't want to risk any other eggs, find a friend or two to hold your other eggs for a few minutes. 

Thank you for posting this, I'll add my info when I make my attempts.   -Note to self, get some friends...-

5 minutes ago, sh20000sh said:

So are there disadvantage on odds if I do s5 crack at 4d 12hrs? If it doesn't I'll try eq at incuhatchable moment.

We don't know because most of our EQs have been done as early as reasonably possible for new releases. Good luck.

I EQ'd 6 things yesterday, ALL S5 cracks:

Cantor, ~4d 5h killed

Market Cantor, ~4d 7h hatched

Nilia, ~4d 8h hatched

New Floret, ~4d 7h hatched

New Floret, ~4 7h killed

Yellow sapphire, ~4d 2h, killed. Was sick, so not sure if this made it more likely to die? Or if my rng was just bad lol 

Had a 50% success rate.

My own today were 4 market cantors at 5d7 and all lived. Big hole, think thats s5?

Tried it with the two cantor eggs i had

1. 4d 10h got killed

2. market cantor at 4d 23h was unaffected

Both got giant holes and are incuhatchable

Both were warded

Can earthquake be done again on an unaffected egg? Or will it still come out as green?

Edited by Yubelchen

2 hours ago, Yubelchen said:

Tried it with the two cantor eggs i had

1. 4d 10h got killed

2. market cantor at 4d 23h was unaffected

Both got giant holes and are incuhatchable

Both were warded

Can earthquake be done again on an unaffected egg? Or will it still come out as green?

Currently, it would be a green hatchie if you just let it hatch. You can eq again, but it might just die.

my results from yesterday:

market cantor #1: 5d9h, s5 crack, hatched/stayed

market cantor #2: 5d9h, s5 crack, killed

in case it turns out to be relevant:

both were initially warded to get white variant, neither was incubated. both had s5 crack (large hole) by 5d13h - at which point ward had long worn off and both were sick. fogged/hid both until they were no longer sick. eq'd as above when all other eggs on my scroll had incu-hatched.

Edited by miaou

I was unlucky with my attempt. No incubate, Stage 5 crack and earthquake killed it.

I'm apparently stealing the luck, s4 crack at 3d22hr with two catches and an unaffected. 

3 attempts today, all 2G cantors at AP time (~3d21h). hope to do more soon :3

#1 with s5 crack hatched

#2 with s5 crack hatched

#3 with s4 crack hatched

Just did an attempt with 6 eggs. All were 5d 3h unincubated. 2 were sick. 4 eggs were unaffected, and 2 died. The 2 that died were not the sick ones 

Thank you for this thread! I have never earthquaked before, so in reading thru this the egg HAS to have a crack? What if you waited till 4 days 2 hours to earthquake? 

17 minutes ago, kzspot said:

Thank you for this thread! I have never earthquaked before, so in reading thru this the egg HAS to have a crack? What if you waited till 4 days 2 hours to earthquake? 

Happy to help! Your question is a little vague but they do need to have a crack to hatch. There's a different message if they're uncracked. 

Cracked message: 'killing the baby dragon inside'

Uncracked: 'killing whatever was forming inside' 

No idea why there would be a different message unless it meant something, you know?

They can still survive uncracked if that's all you care about, they just won't hatch.  For me if you're going to eq, you might as well go for the hatch.

There's no data on if there's a difference in the survival rates of cracked vs uncracked, because as I said at the start, this data is mostly pulled from people trying to get the earliest hatches possible. 

1 hour ago, Tini said:

They can still survive uncracked if that's all you care about, they just won't hatch.  For me if you're going to eq, you might as well go for the hatch.

Thank you. I don't need them to hatch, I think, because using the bsa earthquake will turn the cantormoris green anyways, right? 

4 self-bred Cantors, 40 hours old, big holes, all sick or nearly sick: 3 hatched (and kept), 1 unaffected

@kzspot Yes, it will.

EQ'd 4 Market Cantos.

All eggs were at 5d 6h naturally (no incu), had ~3.5k views, ~400 unique views, and had large holes in the shell; none were sick.

2 unaffected

1 hatched and caught

1 hatched and ran

Edited by Dragonalassa

2 Cantor eggs, neither sick

bred, 3d 8hrs / s4 / incubated / unaffected

CB, 4d 6hrs / s5 / no incubate / dead

Briefly, I just hatched 5 Cantos and the 6th egg will hatch in a few hours. Still cannot believe how well it went and this thread was a BIG help in my set-up. :D

Loaded my scroll with 6 Market Cantos.

Initially fogged first 16 hours.

Unfogged, incubated, influenced and placed in 4 hatcheries. Removed and fogged for rest, and all fogged at stage 5.

All were fogged for the quake at 4d,7h.

Just grinning, ear-to-ear! :D

All 8 marketplace Cantos. 4 incubated (3-17), 4 not(4-17) . 2 incubated and 2 not incubated were warded. No cracks or holes in them. Earthquaked, all of them said "this egg is unaffected...." . No cracks and no little babies. So, I wait. I'll put the 3-17 eggs into a hatchery now and see how they turn out. 

16 minutes ago, kzspot said:

All 8 marketplace Cantos. 4 incubated (3-17), 4 not(4-17) . 2 incubated and 2 not incubated were warded. No cracks or holes in them. Earthquaked, all of them said "this egg is unaffected...." . No cracks and no little babies. So, I wait. I'll put the 3-17 eggs into a hatchery now and see how they turn out. 

They should all hatch green unless you do something else to them before they hatch. Grats on 8/8 survival!

EQed three eggs, all over 48 hours old with a large hole in the shell. e: Actually, the survivor and one of the dead ones was over 72 hours old... Two died, one was unaffected.

Edited by Guillotine