TJ09

2021-08-22 - August Dragon Release

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

And I think you're seeing the world 'force' through the lens of what you already know: That it takes Earthquake to get a skittish.

'Force' can be much more widely interpreted than that.  I do think of Incubate as forcing an egg myself.

If you've never hatched through earthquake or kill, then you might not know: these two methods are specifically referred to IN GAME as being "forced."

forced.png.81b80b0d53a1947c3372dfc628b9caba.png

I felt like doing some theory-crafting on the Pyropellis' variants and which other dragons may be needed to obtain them.

I've been updating this post with new information as it gets confirmed.

I'll crosspost this over to the sleuth thread, when that opens again and if more experiments and note-taking are needed. :)

The below is confirmed information unless stated otherwise. Check edit summary for sources.

Spoiler

First and foremost, it's probably breeding-centered, but it's not clear how.

Is the variant determined by the mate of the parent Pyropellis?

Or is it the act of breeding itself that makes the flames change color, much like Lumina / Dark Lumina shedding?

Testing required.

The act of breeding itself changes the state of the flames.

Refusals do not seem to affect the flames. (Since no contact is made)

The duration of the flames' new state is as of yet unknown. Hopes are that it is permanent, or at least lasts until the next pairing.

The flames' new state lasts until the Pyropellis is bred to a different color-changing breed.

orange.png.445182e722699165d6dbb12e2b4bd2dd.png

Orange

• Default variant
  • Can be reverted to
    • Blazeback Dragon
    • Male Hellfire Wyvern Dragon
    • Male Hellhorse Dragon
    • Leodon Dragon
    • Pyro Xenowyrm
    • Shumoga Dragon

bald.png.0dcf63c55348b5cbc4d9a21eb439e017.png

Bald / Flameless

• Water Dragon

green.png.3bf9c88a07ffe0572953af788850f18f.png

Green

• Arcana Dragon
  • Copper Dragon
  • Magi Dragon
  • Exalted Pitfire Dragon

aqua.png.742a3e39658c3337b31953a8bed33ee9.png

Aqua

• Red Fire Gem Dragon
  • Female Hellfire Wyvern
  • Female Hellhorse Dragon

blue.png.1b03d62bbdfe0fdbe4ab40a5b0028cd3.png

Blue

• Brimstone Dragon
  • Carina Dragon
  • Falconiform Wyvern

purple.png.a9a4883939451fbc6ed9ef2cfd594289.png

Purple

• Green Fire Gem Dragon
  • Omen Wyrm

Edited by 0x08
Big thanks to Tini, Shadowdrake, Fyrebird, Bambi, Elizabeth Moonstone, Dinala1641882, lexi_, Dinala1641882 et al., tjenni, Stromboli, Paradisiske

1 minute ago, ShorahNagi said:

As for how to obtain them - we won't know for certain until people get adults and start breeding them. Current theories are that breeding with another fiery dragon will change the color of the adult [with a water element breed creating the bald variant] - so think like how we get scale-less Luminas OR that the adults will all be the Orange one, and the rest are 2nd gen. Only based on the parent [so for example: Male Pyropellis × Female Hellfire = 2g Pyropellis adult will have blue flames]

Oh yes I got caught up with the thread and I agree that it makes sense if they are obtained by breeding. It's gonna be experimentation like we did with the Florets. Exciting! 😇

Thanks to the spriters and TJ for the new dragons, they look great!

I noticed there are the same number of Pyropellis variants as Gemshard ones and the colours match up (apart from the red Gemshard and the Pyropellis with no fire), so maybe there's a link there?

So, I had 2 Shumoga eggs, 4 days 9 hours left, big holes, correctly influenced, perfect breeding pair. Used EQ and killed two perfect release day dragons.

Thanks, I hate it. 

Very pretty adults!

As for the Pyropellis variants, maybe it's similar to the Luminas in which they become a new colour after breeding? The descriptions seem to imply that the colours come from mates.

Edited by Niomedes

so im confused how to get these

i dunno how my volcanos turned out but all the white eggs hatched white for me

i proged them and influenced them and used the red bsa so im assuming non of that works

made sure i had even pairs so gender isnt a thing

i love how the adults for both new species look though but i hope the volcanos arnt too difficult or have the same mechanics as the sapphires for one of the colors

8 minutes ago, Kestra62 said:

so im confused how to get these

i dunno how my volcanos turned out but all the white eggs hatched white for me

i proged them and influenced them and used the red bsa so im assuming non of that works

made sure i had even pairs so gender isnt a thing

i love how the adults for both new species look though but i hope the volcanos arnt too difficult or have the same mechanics as the sapphires for one of the colors

You have to either use earthquake or attempt to kill the egg before it hatches to get the dark variant.

5 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

You have to either use earthquake or attempt to kill the egg before it hatches to get the dark variant.

Yikes that sucks but thank you! i will just have to try and catch a bunch more then 

Pretty dragons!

I love the wings on the Shumogas! But I am kind of with @random_dragon_collector about their legs -- can't quite figure out where the right hind leg is at all and the right foreleg is a bit hard to define. I guess I will have to try my luck with earthquake after all because the dark ones are so pretty. I don't have to like it though!

The Pyropellis are fascinating. It will be interesting to see which is the default once our hatchies start growing up. I vote for the bald one and then it gets its flames when it mates with a dragon that breathes one of those colors of flame. We have never had that sort of a mechanic before but there are lots of new things happening around here, so why not that? But if that is true, does it then change its color if it is bred with another dragon that has a different flame color? Hmmm!

Cute how the two breeds look like they are almost locking tails in the display of TJ's adults. XD

Well done, spriters! Thanks to all of you and to TJ for this release.

Edited by purplehaze

By the way...

Pyro = fire

Pellis = skin

Fireskin dragons.

1 hour ago, 0x08 said:

I felt like doing some theory-crafting on the Pyropellis' variants and which other dragons may be needed to obtain them.

If this sort of post is best suited for another forum, a moderator should let me know so I can shoo. :)

Reveal hidden contents

First and foremost, it's probably breeding-centered, but it's not clear how.

Is the variant determined by the mate of the parent Pyropellis?

Or is it the breeding itself that makes the flames change color, much like Lumina / Dark Lumina shedding?

Testing will be required.

bald.png.0dcf63c55348b5cbc4d9a21eb439e017.png

Bald / Flameless

• [UNTESTED] Any Water-element breed
  • Or maybe this one is the default

orange.png.445182e722699165d6dbb12e2b4bd2dd.png

Orange

• [UNTESTED] Any non-Water-element breed
  • If the flameless one is the default
    • [UNTESTED] Blazeback Dragon
    • [UNTESTED] Ember Dragon?
    • [UNTESTED] Blue Fire Gem Dragon
    • [UNTESTED] male Hellfire Wyvern
    • [UNTESTED] male Hellhorse Dragon
    • [UNTESTED] Leodon Dragon
    • [UNTESTED] Magma Dragon?
    • [UNTESTED] Pyro Xenowyrm

green.png.3bf9c88a07ffe0572953af788850f18f.png

Green

• [UNTESTED] Arcana Dragon
  • [UNTESTED] Pitfire Dragon?

aqua.png.742a3e39658c3337b31953a8bed33ee9.png

Aqua

• [UNTESTED] Red Fire Gem Dragon
  • [UNTESTED] female Hellfire Wyvern
  • [UNTESTED] female Hellhorse Dragon

blue.png.1b03d62bbdfe0fdbe4ab40a5b0028cd3.png

Blue

• [UNTESTED] Carina Dragon
  • [UNTESTED] Falconiform Wyvern

purple.png.a9a4883939451fbc6ed9ef2cfd594289.png
Purple

• [UNTESTED] Amarignis Dragon
  • [UNTESTED] Omen Wyrm
  • [UNTESTED] Green Fire Gem Dragon

There may be fiery breeds that I have missed.

Thank you 💚

Sprites are cool, personally it's the Shumoga Lite for me, 'dark' version is not dark enough imo Pyropellis is awesomesouce in all versions, bald is solid with great colors and shading and the color versions are pure fun

@Infinis & @Dohaerys - the adult sprites look awesome!

Infinis, I love the wing detail, especially in the darker wings—those colors!

Dohaerys, the color variation was unexpected, but a very nice surprise!

Thank you both for your hard work and artistic talents. I’ll definitely be hoarding both of them, lol. 😆

Ooh, looking forward to figuring out how to get all those Pyropellis variants! I also quite like the sprites for the Shumoga, and their descriptions. Seems like they'll make for some interesting dragon descriptions.

i think I like the fireless Pyropellis more, tho I like these flames variants too! As for Shumoga, I can't wait to get some of those adult, they looks really incredible! Tho I'll have to rely on trading to get the alternate form since EQ usually ends up taking my kill slots :')

21 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It will be interesting to see which is the default once our hatchies start growing up. I vote for the bald one and then it gets its flames when it mates with a dragon that breathes one of those colors of flame.

I think the Orange one is the default as TJ has two [no dimorphism and TJ always keeps an Adult and a frozen hatchling [and since all the hatchlings are the same and there's 2 of the Orange...that's why my guess is Orange]

Also. It would make sense lore wise - hatchlings are lit ablaze by the parents, all hatchlings have orange fire so logically would grow up into Orange 

But that's just my thoughts 

These are pretty. Like everyone else, I'm super curious about how to get the different varieties of Pyropellis. I'm also incredibly disappointed to have another (beautiful!) sprite locked behind using a risky BSA/action. These hatching/alt mechanics feel so gimmick-y, and after the Cantors and Sapphires and such I'm really tired of them. I don't blame any spriters for suggesting them, I just don't like the feeling that this is the way the game is going, and to have so many released so close together is exhausting and frustrating.

I don't have any problem seeing the limbs of the adult Shumogas, but to me the gendered hatchlings look like they've had their right hind foot cut off. No one else has mentioned this so maybe it's just me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

all hatchlings have orange fire so logically would grow up into Orange 

That does make sense, I guess. I sort of forgot that all the hatchies had orange flames because mine haven't gendered, yet, and all of TJ's were grown by the time I got to see any of the adults.

I suppose all the color variants could be breed-only which wouldn't be as much fun as having the adults change color with breeding.

Ok new weird theory about the pyros. What if they all grow up with orange flames by default, but after x period of time it's extinguished? And from then on they only get flames after breeding with specific kinds of mates that relight their fires. 

Just some speculation, though if it's a mechanism like that I personally hope the colours are permanent (at least until they're bred to something else). 

I used kill on two Shumoga eggs from me, right before it was going to hatch anyway, both turned and are healthy. I am glad that we can turn them without EQ, never liked that BSA to be honest.

I LOVE this release.

The Shumoga's are beautiful, amazing spritework as always from Infinis. I really like their pose that has them breathing flame but also looking as if they're flinching backwards. Their pose works with their lore which I adore. The idea that the paler ones are rare in nature, but will be common for us, is great. Very creative and the mechanic is perfectly fitting. 

The Pyropellis is amazing too. The sprite I love, I love me some bulkier dragons. Their lore and mechanic is awesome, although it's not 100% confirmed, I'm fairly certain it will involve breeding them that changes the colours. My guesses:

Green - Aracana

Orange - Blazeback, pyro xeno, male hellfire, male hellhorse leodon

Light blue - Falfoncfire, female hellfire, red firegem?

Dark blue - Carina, red firegem?

Purple - Amarginis, omen wyrm

Naked - Breed with a water dragon maybe??? (Sidenote I LOVE that there is a bald one so much <33)

I love them both. Amazing release :D Thank you spriters!

Edited by Murkydepths

9 minutes ago, MissK. said:

Ok new weird theory about the pyros. What if they all grow up with orange flames by default, but after x period of time it's extinguished? And from then on they only get flames after breeding with specific kinds of mates that relight their fires. 

Just some speculation, though if it's a mechanism like that I personally hope the colours are permanent (at least until they're bred to something else). 

I hope it's something like that! At least, that is affected by breeding. Getting naked luma was a bit of a struggle, so I hope it's a permanent change in their cases. 

40 minutes ago, Nightmon said:

i think I like the fireless Pyropellis more,

Me, too. I think the skin shading really "pops" on the unlit version. I think they'd be lovely with the Ravenclaw (looks up name) Razorcrest dragons.