TJ09

2021-08-22 - August Dragon Release

1 minute ago, Oddsoxdi said:

So all I wound up with is a dead hatchie.

Oh, ouch! It only works on EGGS, not hatchlings. Please do not stab your hatchlings.

I just tried it and got a skittish hatchie, so it does work.

Made sure it was closer to hatching to hope for better chances so there's that.

6 minutes ago, SamuelMaybird said:

I just tried it and got a skittish hatchie, so it does work.

Made sure it was closer to hatching to hope for better chances so there's that.

You used the kill action? Or earthquake? 

skittish results from a friend who doesn't use the forums:

earthquake, 1st attempt:

2 skittish hatched & caught

2 unaffected

0 dead

earthquake, 2nd attempt (an hour later):

both the ones previously unaffected were hatched and caught

kill/smash (just now):

1 skittish hatched & caught

1 dead egg

Edited by miaou

5 minutes ago, miaou said:

skittish results from a friend who doesn't use the forums:

earthquake, 1st attempt:

2 skittish hatched & caught

2 unaffected

0 dead

earthquake, 2nd attempt (an hour later):

both the ones previously unaffected were hatched and caught

kill/smash (just now):

1 hatched & caught

1 dead egg

Do you know what stage and time the eggs were during killing? 

If it's true that using the Kill action can result in skittish (need bigger sample size for confirmation of course) that is SUCH a relief. I can't even express how much of a relief that would be.  @miaou the kill-one that was hatched/caught, it was the skittish type?

TJ's hatchies will grow up in 7-9 hours and of course I'll be asleep. That almost always happens, I guess because the release starts at either 9pm or 10pm my-time (depending on daylight savings) and his eggs take a handful of hours to hatch even though they are low-timed, so the hatchlings will grow up in the middle of the night. It does make for a great surprise when I wake up though. 

Anyone have any more ideas about the Volcano variants? I'm still hoping for some 'true' breed-only alts, but it's really screwing with my mind that none of the hatchies show any variation. An adult-only alt is unheard of outside special holidays.

1 minute ago, Bambi said:

Do you know what stage and time the eggs were during killing? 

the eggs were < 5 days (she thinks they were around 4d12h), both s2 cracks.

I earthquaked 3 eggs at less than 4 days left (fully cracked but hidden by fog) and they were all unaffected lol, sadge. At least they didn't die I suppose. I heard fogging doesn't matter but I'm worried it messed it up.

Anyway I can't wait to see the adults, the skittish/snuggly ones look like pegasi as babies 😛

Edit: Hearing that killing works gets my hopes up, I hope it is intended and not patched out later hhh

Edited by Mangrit

10 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

If it's true that using the Kill action can result in skittish (need bigger sample size for confirmation of course) that is SUCH a relief. I can't even express how much of a relief that would be.  @miaou the kill-one that was hatched/caught, it was the skittish type?

yep!

Screenshot_20210824-221058_kindlephoto-184073776.png.8dcda7e63bc2d1c4e470751403c44cd2.png

(i edited my post above to clarify, sorry for not being clear!)

Edited by miaou

@FyrebirdWell, do if you want a zombie. Depending on what time it was for Oddsoxdi, they could use it for zombie fodder on the 31st. Else, sadness because it will decay away. It all could work out. 😅

---

My thoughts might be disorganized, but I've rewritten this a few times. I've tried to shorten it but it ain't happening so bear with me. 

I think the discussions and groans from people from another alt forced through EQ bring up an old topic that has been around since BSAs were added years and years ago. Back when Discord was called IRC, a lot of users, myself included, wanted to see Balloons become valued via Float/Levitate. This was a suggestion that people suggested time and time again. It is a suggestion that has often been left on read. I think a lot of frustration for EQ as an alt mechanic comes from the risk EQ carries, as well as no way to mitigate it. Float/Levitate was the idea the community had to solve the problem. If you want to prevent damaging your eggs that you don't want to potentially die, you will have to devote resources. This is normal and is common with other BSAs, chaining multiple together to achieve desired results. Even when EQ was only looked at as the risky way to hatch eggs early, people avoided it because they didn't want EQ to destroy their batch. For those with some luck and for those ND experimenters, EQ was great. For some people like me, we killed an entire batch of eggs and never touched it again. In a way, RNG is flawed, but this is the nature of it and is the only way to balance out something that could be so strong. Incubate is the no risk way and if you want to hatch even faster, EQ was the way forward. There should be risk involved with EQ and I'll never advocate removing the risk. 

EQ isn't forgotten about, a lot of users, such as myself, hate unnecessary risk. I don't have Mortis Cantors because of this. Like at all. I don't want to throw my breeding projects behind a week for it. I'll probably eventually trade for them, but I don't plan to start any breeding projects with Mortis Cantors for this reason. 

I'm hoping that this:

1 hour ago, Tini said:

HELLO EVERYONE now that this is unlocked, I bring news from afar fields! Rejoice and celebrate! You *can* smash the egg to get a skittish hatchie! I've seen the action log for both the one posted here before and a hatchie from 12 hours later, neither were earthquaked, both were killed, the more recent one is skittish. Weather its just a chance between skittish and snuggle, or a fixed bug, is unknown, if you feel like smashing eggs, please tell us if you get skittish or snuggles! 

Personally I lean to a fixed bug, cause skittish works with attempted murder. But its hard to know for sure with just two known hatches.

...is at least confirmed.

But it raises the question of "why EQ?" What is the benefit to choosing to EQ an entire batch over individually egg smashing? Why would we use EQ to attempt to force the eggs? Are the chances different? I'm confused as to why it was brought up that Infinis wanted to encourage EQ use when it might be possible to just force the eggs via kill? Someone help me out here because I don't use EQ at all, but I thought the chances for kill and EQ were similar. The recent new information brings much confusion to this new alt and I wonder if it was something patched in for a hotfix? Perhaps per Infinis? If EQ was the intended way to obtain this alt, then this would have been a perfect way to acknowledge the decade's old feedback and give the Balloon value with Float/Levitate. 

Infinis is very well known for their sprites that people enjoy. I'm looking forward to the adults because I've always preferred adult sprites. People will naturally be passionate about wanting to collect as many pieces as possible, especially for artists known for their talent. Everyone seems to be raising eyebrows at another EQ alt, which I 100% agree is questionable. New and quirky ways to get dragons is cool. DC is unique in that the puzzle on new releases forces the community rub its braincells together and figure it out, together. That's a part of the community that makes DC unique. Like some others, I don't like recent trend towards risky methods and some of the forced interaction with the community. I'm hoping that this thread leads more towards those steering the DC boat to being more open with feedback. The community isn't unreasonable with requests and has always historically thought VERY HARD about the full implications of changes. I think they should at least be acknowledged or worked with if the community is overwhelmingly supporting something. 

Edited by Charu

1 hour ago, Charu said:

Why would we use EQ to attempt to force the eggs? Are the chances different? I'm confused as to why it was brought up that Infinis wanted to encourage EQ use when it might be possible to just force the eggs via kill?

It's probably for the breed lore. Wait a few hours and you may have the answer to that question when the dragons mature!

Edited by Dragon Mage
made more specific.

49 minutes ago, Mangrit said:

I earthquaked 3 eggs at less than 4 days left (fully cracked but hidden by fog) and they were all unaffected lol, sadge.

A fogged egg cannot hatch. If you are earthquaking to try to get skittish hatchlings, fogging them defeats the purpose.

Fogged eggs can die though, so it's not earthquake protection.

Correction: I've been informed fogged eggs CAN hatch during earthquake.

Edited by Fyrebird
correction

On 8/22/2021 at 8:52 AM, Fyrebird said:

This would be cool, and explains 7 eggs: one "generic" s1, three s2s and three adults.

OMG, the seven volcano eggs are the head-fake!!! The alpine/desert eggs have different colored hatchlings with different descriptions!!

Is anyone else seeing this on TJ's hatchies?

Young dragons are relatively defenseless. They are born with relatively soft scales, which are shed and replaced with harder ones as the hatchling matures. Once a hatchling’s wings grow in, it marks the beginning of maturation. At this point they are often capable of hunting on their own and are usually left alone by their mother.

This hatchling seems sick. It hasn’t been eating lately and it doesn’t move very much.

Anything known about variants on the ones from the volcano yet?
TJ normally only has s2 + adults on the announcement, and all the s2's look the same so far. Could it be adult variants depending on day hatched or matured, like the gemshards are based on day caught/bred?

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

Just now, Feral71 said:

Young dragons are relatively defenseless. They are born with relatively soft scales, which are shed and replaced with harder ones as the hatchling matures. Once a hatchling’s wings grow in, it marks the beginning of maturation. At this point they are often capable of hunting on their own and are usually left alone by their mother.

This hatchling seems sick. It hasn’t been eating lately and it doesn’t move very much.

That means it's sick from the amount of views it has. Same message we get as users on our own dragons if they're sick. Only difference is TJ's can't die from being sick. 

16 hours ago, Kaini said:

A spriter is perfectly allowed to chat casually in a place they feel comfortable without being obligated to post an official word everywhere else. Especially with the way she's been treated.

Completely understandable and respectable where and when artists prefer to interact with people. I was here last night and read the entire discussion and even in the deleted posts, as far as I can tell, no one treated Infinis disrespectfully, if that's what you mean by "especially with the way she's been treated". Discussion got heated, yes, but the main point was the disappointment of having another species that requires EQ.

1 hour ago, Charu said:

But it raises the question of "why EQ?" What is the benefit to choosing to EQ an entire batch over individually egg smashing? Why would we use EQ to attempt to force the eggs? Are the chances different? I'm confused as to why it was brought up that Infinis wanted to encourage EQ use when it might be possible to just force the eggs via kill? Someone help me out here because I don't use EQ at all, but I thought the chances for kill and EQ were similar. The recent new information brings much confusion to this new alt and I wonder if it was something patched in for a hotfix? Perhaps per Infinis? If EQ was the intended way to obtain this alt, then this would have been a perfect way to acknowledge the decade's old feedback and give the Balloon value with Float/Levitate. 

It was brought up because at that time we only had confirmation that EQ was required to get the skittish version of the species, people were chatting about it and then someone said that Infinis would like to encourage people to use EQ more often.

Some time later someone posted a smashing attempt but got the cuddly version, so we thought we could only obtain the skittish ones via EQ. I suggest you checking the link in my next quote.

2 hours ago, Tini said:

HELLO EVERYONE now that this is unlocked, I bring news from afar fields! Rejoice and celebrate! You *can* smash the egg to get a skittish hatchie! I've seen the action log for both the one posted here before and a hatchie from 12 hours later, neither were earthquaked, both were killed, the more recent one is skittish. Weather its just a chance between skittish and snuggle, or a fixed bug, is unknown, if you feel like smashing eggs, please tell us if you get skittish or snuggles! 

Personally I lean to a fixed bug, cause skittish works with attempted murder. But its hard to know for sure with just two known hatches.

I don't think it's a fixed bug, it's cool (I don't think I'l try smashing an egg myself) to have another alternative, if there's this alternate way to obtain them, great! But I don't think it's a fixed bug because I went back a couple pages in this topic and this dragon is still a cuddly one

But I think it's safe to assume that smashing an egg is an alternate way to get the skittish version.

6 minutes ago, Kegluneq said:

don't think it's a fixed bug, it's cool (I don't think I'l try smashing an egg myself) to have another alternative, if there's this alternate way to obtain them, great! But I don't think it's a fixed bug because I went back a couple pages in this topic and this dragon is still a cuddly one

But I think it's safe to assume that smashing an egg is an alternate way to get the skittish version.

It has happened before where a way of getting a variant initially didnt work as intended (Cantos, for example). Some people had their hatchies change form! And I think other shenanigans went on that I dont recall. 

52 minutes ago, Feral71 said:

If you mean the sick message, TJ's new releases almost always get sick because they get *so* many views (look at their views compared to most regular-user dragons!), but he does his magic so they aren't in danger of dying. 

Just to get this right:

"Kill" on an egg has the same chances as "earthquake" just without the risk of killing everything else?

When do I use this?

Does the egg need to be under 4 days?

---

Result: Two dead eggs - amazing! (NOT!)

Edited by Seriva Senkalora

While I am very thankful for the thoughts, effort and love everybody has put into these new draggies I am extremely sad to see yet another set of stuff that needs to be earthquaked.  And yes, I know, that is my personal problem. But if we get drama and fights with each new release now and the spriters feel disrepected there should be done something. And I am not sure if "That's the way it is, deal with it" is the solution for that. This site lives from the community and the creative input of a large userbase. What will be left of that if more and more users leave the site because they don't enjoy playing anymore and got the feeling that their oppinion does not count?

Edited to add: And I am not really fond of the way these releases impact trading. Sapphires, Gems and Cantors mostly trade for stuff beyond any measure.  I'm afraid the new ones will take the same path.  And yes, I can buy some of them on the market. But how on earth am I supposed to save shards for Stats that way?

Edited by Varasse

I was the user who killed an egg and got a skittish hatchie that Tini mentioned when the thread was reopened. In my case, the egg had a s5 crack (large hole) and was at exactly four days, having been incubated down from five immediately before. I tried it with two other eggs as well and they both died. Not sure if it's intended for some kill forces to hatch snuggly or if it's a bug, but either way at least there is an alternative to earthquake, for those opposed to using it.

I just attempted the Kill command on the one egg I had unhatched. It was big hole stage and popped out skittish (was caught). Now need to get more of them and attempt more smashing and/or some earthquaking.

I have to say I appreciate these being achievable by kill so much - my main personal gripe w/ EQ is just it's a hassle to organize my scroll to be empty, using kill aligns with my personal playstyle much more nicely :^D