TJ09

2013-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

I'm curious, how can a dragon as large as them be able to survive only on charred bits? If something is burned then it's wrinkly and not quite edible and certainly wouldn't contribute much weight...so shouldn't they also eat something live? like plants or small animals?

Well, nothing could survive on a diet of ashes and charcoal really. ^^; They don't exactly provide a wide array of nutrients, only minerals and carbon residue.

Anyway...the adults are very pretty, if anything a bit too pretty for my tastes when it comes to Halloween. The idea of the faces on their wings is interesting but somehow I was slightly let down after the hatchling descriptions, which struck me as creepier. These would be gorgeous as a regular release in my opinion. Oh well, I can keep wishing for scary monsters for next year. XD

One thing: if these eat ash and charcoal, does that mean ember dragons have to watch out. :blink:

Headcanon accepted.

I love these guys, have to be one of my favorite holiday dragons, right up there with marrows. I wish they were regular dragons so I could have an army and breed lots of these guys. But I guess you can't please everyone, I am very happy with them.

Oh my these dragons are absolutely gorgeous! Though the color scheme is going to make it difficult to decide were to place them- white or orange or even black!? (were are you all going to place them?) Also the little fact about the markings on the wings are the faces of those lost to their fires is horrifically delicious.

OMG, my favorite Halloween dragon ever! xd.png Thank you spriter whomever you may be! I shower you with love for this one!

Oh my these dragons are absolutely gorgeous! Though the color scheme is going to make it difficult to decide were to place them- white or orange or even black!? (were are you all going to place them?) Also the little fact about the markings on the wings are the faces of those lost to their fires is horrifically delicious.

Now this is a good question. I suppose my manual rainbow is rather unorthodox (the fact that I have two pages of things unsorted right now doesn't help either) but I might place them between Embers and Seragammas. I had a lot of trouble creating a gradient around that area anyway so how much worse could it get?

The black and fiery colours are a bit too intense for them to be placed among white and other pale dragons IMO. They're just a bit too striking.

Omg, the female's 'hands' have just made my day! There are so... Mwahahahahaha xd.png

And those faces, i hope i don't have nightmares about this!

These are awesome >u<b good job!

Also, as to where to sort them... That'll be difficult! I'd place them between the embers and the snow angels if they weren't so apart in my personal rainbow xDDD

Oh my god these are fantastic! The poses, the markings... I think these are my favorite Halloween yet.

Well - seeing the adults has officially landed them in the spot for my 3rd Favorite Halloween Dragon look-wise (Male Vampire [i just don't like the Albino look of the female for some reason] and Marrow as still fighting for the number one spot).

Sorry Shadow Walkers, you now take 4th, Pumpkins go to 5th, and Cave Lurkers take 6th.

However, I must admit name and description wise, I'm a little disappointed at what they are, but they are still an interesting and beautiful looking breed.

Thanks TJ, Aangs-sister, and anyone else who may have had a hand in these Dragons and the whole of Halloween.

Edited by ShorahNagi

I saw them earlier in the morning, right when they grew up and I still prefer the female. I love the colors on both though, especially how the white brings out the orange and black. I really like the description as well. But the male kind of bothers me. He looks very stiff and his legs are strange. His front leg looks like a human leg and his hind leg looks too small to support the rest of his body, let alone his wing.

Overall though, I'm quite happy with this release as a departure from the traditionally mostly orange or mostly black coloring and I can't wait to breed them with my embers, brimstones, and hellfires...and probably many others.

What's "the spirit of halloween" anyways? That's such a vague set of words.... For some people, it means staying up all night watching horror movies (the kind of crowd this might appeal to), to others it means the chance to make a little kid's day handing out candy, to others it's the chance to break societal constraints and wear and act in a way differing from the norms, and for others it ties back to ancient religious practices and beliefs.

In other words, the spirit of halloween comes in a lot of different formats and just because it doesn't necessarily evoke the spirit that you might personally prefer that does not mean the spirit is not fully evoked.

Makes a comment about previous pages.

Edited by Walker

Oh wow these ones are REALLY COOL and AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! So glad I went out on a limb this year and got 4 of them-- 2 males and 2 females. The other 2 are for a trade until hatchlings emerge.

Thank you to everyone involved bringing us the new dragons and events ♥

I adore the colour scheme for these guys, I agree with what folks are saying about the male's front leg, but as this is an event dragon I think it's more important to be thankful that the sprite artist took the time to do this. I love all of my creepy dragons and Graves will make a brilliant addition to my scroll, I don't know where to start when it comes to breeding them ♥

Ooh, I just love the colors and pattern on the wings. Very cool dragons, thank you TJ and aangs-sister! Now I can't wait for my own to grow up, and for people to start breeding them... I think my favorite part of new dragons is seeing what they look good with. biggrin.gif

I was going to place them with Whites as that's the majority of color I see on them.

And OMG wub.gif so beautiful! The description is haunting!

What's "the spirit of halloween" anyways? That's such a vague set of words.... For some people, it means staying up all night watching horror movies (the kind of crowd this might appeal to), to others it means the chance to make a little kid's day handing out candy, to others it's the chance to break societal constraints and wear and act in a way differing from the norms, and for others it ties back to ancient religious practices and beliefs.

In other words, the spirit of halloween comes in a lot of different formats and just because it doesn't necessarily evoke the spirit that you might personally prefer that does not mean the spirit is not fully evoked.

Makes a comment about previous pages.

I think it has to do with the idea of the thinning of the veil between worlds that is the base of Halloween. It brings to mind thoughts of the ghost, ghouls, demons and the variety of things that go bump in the night... the unknown realms and afterlife.

This dragon doesn't have those qualities. It's a standard dragon. It burns down forests and villages to create food. Okay. Any of our fire breather types have likely done that.

There's no quality that sets it apart that makes it seem like a Halloween dragon. It doesn't just show up during the holiday, it doesn't have any mystical, magical, or horrific quality that links it to the season.

It is beautifully done, without a doubt, but I think it would have been better as a regular release since then we would be able to breed it year round and create some truly awesome lineages.

Uh oh sad.gif they admin's hatchlings seem to be sick. :c

Luckily, they are protected from death-by-sickness, so we all can click on'em as much as we like without killing them ^.^

So glad to see these adults - they are gorgeous, and they feel like a nice creative take on the Halloween idea... a fun departure from the usual, stereotypical themes. Which isn't to say I'm interested to see a werewolf- or spider- or ghost- (and so on) themed dragon at some point in the future xd.png I just really appreciate how outside the box aangs-sister went with this one, and yet it still fits Halloween wonderfully. Cheers to DC, TJ and the spriters for another fun event!

The adults are fantastic. I love the description as well. I think that these might be my favorite of all the Halloween dragons.

I think it has to do with the idea of the thinning of the veil between worlds that is the base of Halloween. It brings to mind thoughts of the ghost, ghouls, demons and the variety of things that go bump in the night... the unknown realms and afterlife.

This dragon doesn't have those qualities. It's a standard dragon. It burns down forests and villages to create food. Okay. Any of our fire breather types have likely done that.

There's no quality that sets it apart that makes it seem like a Halloween dragon. It doesn't just show up during the holiday, it doesn't have any mystical, magical, or horrific quality that links it to the season.

It is beautifully done, without a doubt, but I think it would have been better as a regular release since then we would be able to breed it year round and create some truly awesome lineages.

Which is your opinion. What Halloween means for you may not mean the same for everyone or anyone else, and the same for these dragons, although I can see where you are coming from.

I think they are fine as a holiday release and I will enjoy having and breeding them.

Which is your opinion. What Halloween means for you may not mean the same for everyone or anyone else, and the same for these dragons, although I can see where you are coming from.

I think they are fine as a holiday release and I will enjoy having and breeding them.

And that's great. Obviously there are a lot of people who are thrilled with the new dragon; as they should be. I was only trying to help clarify why some of us are disappointed.

Absolutely beautiful, I love the wings on the adults!

The only thing that would make them perfect is an adjustment of the male's near front leg to make it not look so much like a human leg.