Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

Eggs lost their Influence and Incubate when they leave a scroll. For someone else to Influence something for you and have it stick, they need to hatch the egg on their scroll and *then* give it back to you.

So I would have to wait for the lil baby to hatch, ok got it. Thanks!!

13 hours ago, lovecats99 said:

Quick question, has anyone bred an egg from a Floret which wasn't a Floret? 100% of my Floret breedings have resulted in just Florets and I have 17 adult Florets, overall.

Only once. It was when my first Florets became adults (exactly five days from release) and it was a blue Fire Gem from a male green Fire Gem. The same pair has since only bred two purple Florets (purple Floret parent).

Has breeding two of the same Xeno variant creating a different Xeno variant always been a thing?  (same question for Pyralspites) I just grabbed some AP eggs of said breeds that look to be different variants than their parents. ((Red Pyralspite + magi = pink Pyralspite (at least, I THIIIINK it's a pink Pyralspite...)) and (two of same Xenoworm creating different Xenoworm))

Edited by VioletWhirlwind

5 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Xenos breeding a different variant has always been a thing that was possible. For example, see Wiki entry for Astrapi and scroll down to breeding section http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Astrapi_Xenowyrm

I thought that Pyralspites always breed true.

Kind of hard to tell at this point, but I thiiiink it's a pink, and the Pyralspite parent is clearly red:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/8Y7me

11 minutes ago, VioletWhirlwind said:

Kind of hard to tell at this point, but I thiiiink it's a pink, and the Pyralspite parent is clearly red:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/8Y7me

Nope, the hatchling is red. They do look very similar, so I put them in a paint program side by side and enlarged them. The pink hatchling has a subtle pinkish highlight on top of it's back, that one doesn't.

13 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Nope, the hatchling is red. They do look very similar, so I put them in a paint program side by side and enlarged them. The pink hatchling has a subtle pinkish highlight on top of it's back, that one doesn't.

Ah, ok.  Darn. XD But then, I've been fooled by that before, heh.  I was using the encyclopedia page for my comparison...it looked pink from there. *shrug* Oh well.

Thought I might finally have a pink.  Guess not. :P Oh well.

Edited by VioletWhirlwind

Why do Zyumorphs seem so especially prone to sickness? I treated my new guy the same as I do all the other eggs I hatch, but he got sick anyways.

Edited by broadway_fiend

17 minutes ago, broadway_fiend said:

Why do Zyumorphs seem so especially prone to sickness? I treated my new guy the same as I do all the other eggs I hatch, but he got sick anyways.

I assume it’s the same reason Prizes are so prone to sickness- needing more views to hatch than normal eggs, though I’m unsure what the numbers on that are.

17 minutes ago, broadway_fiend said:

I'm not sure anyone knows *why* exactly, but certain breeds seem to need more stats to hatch and grow up, which in turn makes them more prone to sickness. Prize dragons are the same way, and to a lesser extent Avatars. 

7 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm not sure anyone knows *why* exactly, but certain breeds seem to need more stats to hatch and grow up, which in turn makes them more prone to sickness. Prize dragons are the same way, and to a lesser extent Avatars. 

don't forget Harvests and Luminas and other more common breeds that need extra  views and can become sick

2 minutes ago, dragonpuck said:

don't forget Harvests and Luminas and other more common breeds that need extra  views and can become sick

Hmm, I've never had any issues with my Harvests or Luminas. I wasn't aware there were common breeds like that, the only ones I ever have issues with are Zyus, Prizes, and Avatars. 

You can kind of group them by how easy/long they can get sick when you incubate and ER them (in hatcheries that accept 4d eggs as ERs):

GoNs, Avatars, Prizes, Zyus: always get sick when you try to hatch them at 4d after incubate. I found them safe to hatch without sickness at 3d 18h.

Harvests, Luminas, Nhiostrifes: some individuals may get sick, others will be okay to hatch at 4d after incubate. I found they are usually healthy much quicker than the above group, like 3d 21h, I'd say?

Most other breeds: usually don't get sick with the method described above. Usually safe to set and forget (as long as the used hatcheries work properly and do their ER cleanups).

Note that this always involves taking off a day from the countdown (incubate) - which doesn't change the egg's actual age. The egg is still young and vulnerable. Without incubate, all eggs are okay to hatch at the 4d mark.

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Harvests, Luminas, Nhiostrifes: some individuals may get sick, others will be okay to hatch at 4d after incubate. I found they are usually healthy much quicker than the above group, like 3d 21h, I'd say?

I would add Brimstones to this group. I find them rather difficult to hatch at 4d (incubated).

Golds, Silvers, and Coppers, too. (Not sure if they belong in the GoN etc. group?)

Just now, Confused Cat said:

I would add Brimstones to this group. I find them rather difficult to hatch at 4d (incubated).

Golds, Silvers, and Coppers, too. (Not sure if they belong in the GoN etc. group?)

Nah, not really. Maybe in the second group, with some individuals just being less tough than others. TJ also once stated that bred eggs that left their scroll of origin are more vulnerable to sickness than those which stay "home" - I don't think that changed. Does this perchance typically affect eggs you traded for? At least I never had issues with Golds, Silvers, Coppers or Brimstones (but those I usually bred myself) ...

Huh. I never really paid attention to differences between my own bred eggs and others. Maybe I just got used to being over-careful with everything metallic.

I'm quite sure about Brimstones being a "stubborn" breed though.

The only ones I have found that get sick ALL THE TIME are prizes and zyus. Others can be hard to hatch/grow up, but don't get sick while they sit there annoying me...

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'd like to create a group called "Rares, Variants, Hybrids", but I get a message stating that "group names can only contain letters, numbers, and some punctuation". So what kind of punctuation is allowed since I can't even use two commas?

Probably the same as in names: apostrophes and dashes. I know for sure about apostrophes.

I see, thanks. Feels kinda weird that we can't use even commas or periods in group names...

I found that allowed are ( ) : ' -

For example, "Halloween: CB" would work.

Or a smiley like in my top highlighted group :)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Okay this is driving me batty, i was fine until i noticed it, now its like that 'cant unsee it' i used to edit. A lot.

has *anyone* else noticed the description is backwards?!?! 

This egg is yellow with orange speckling.

but if you look at the image 

Sorry i dont know how to add it to a post or i would!

The base and majority are orange and the top left is yellow, making it visually orange with yellow speckling!

Though the adult sprites are mostly yellow with orange speckling on their backs and very puppy esk dragons 👍 thumbs up on that

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I found that allowed are ( ) : ' -

For example, "Halloween: CB" would work.

Or a smiley like in my top highlighted group :)

Myself, I'm using apostrophes as separators for now, so - "Rares ' Variants ' Hybrids". Better than nothing, I guess.

6 hours ago, SpeckSilver said:

This egg is yellow with orange speckling.

but if you look at the image 

Eh, to me it's about 50/50 so it could be seen either way. And I guess to be consistent with the whole "freckles" thing it makes sense to have orange speckling ^^

7 hours ago, SpeckSilver said:

The base and majority are orange and the top left is yellow, making it visually orange with yellow speckling!

Yeah but eggs aren't two-dimensional. Maybe when you first spotted it for the taking, it was mostly yellow, but now you've grabbed it and spun it around and it's orange. :)