TJ09

2018-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

11 minutes ago, Shuuichi said:

That was actually me who dropped it to accept a trade, oops! I was going to hatch it and toss it back into the AP but oh well XD

Good to know, at least I have a 50% chance it will gender correctly. XD Thanks for dropping it! :D

I've said this before elsewhere but--I'd hate to see an artificial limit on Holiday multiclutching. Implement a separate AP for holiday stuff so people who don't care for them can go about their business, and then let the system regulate itself. If it ever DOES get to the point where things are dying (I still maintain that this was just a weird year--AP has been off since a few days ago, usually doesn't get so low on time so fast...), I imagine people will start self-regulating and only breeding their nicest lines anyway.

Anybody else grabbing bunches of eggs, tossing them into every hatchery in existence, then punting them back to the AP when they hatch?  It only takes me about 10 min. each bunch.  I started today when the wall said 2D 6H, & now the eggs are down to 2D 3H.  I CAN'T KEEP UP!!!

Just now, Sunrunner said:

Anybody else grabbing bunches of eggs, tossing them into every hatchery in existence, then punting them back to the AP when they hatch?  It only takes me about 10 min. each bunch.  I started today when the wall said 2D 6H, & now the eggs are down to 2D 3H.  I CAN'T KEEP UP!!!

I've been doing this for two days now. Must save all the babes!

Mine take a couple of hours, I think.  Maybe I'm not using enough hatcheries.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of people bred their dragons right at the end, so it might be that it's too many bred too close to the same time for us to be able to see any difference.

I know I bred a bunch on the 31st, mostly past CB's, so I'm definitely one of those guilty - and I think I've got 8 hatcheries I'm using, ER's included.

12 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I've said this before elsewhere but--I'd hate to see an artificial limit on Holiday multiclutching. Implement a separate AP for holiday stuff so people who don't care for them can go about their business, and then let the system regulate itself. If it ever DOES get to the point where things are dying (I still maintain that this was just a weird year--AP has been off since a few days ago, usually doesn't get so low on time so fast...), I imagine people will start self-regulating and only breeding their nicest lines anyway.

I agree.

7 minutes ago, Sunrunner said:

Yes - been doing it all day.

I think people will self-limit as well. There are so many breeds now and if you have a lot of dragons, it's tiring to breed. At least for me, it is.

8 minutes ago, Sunrunner said:

Yeah, I began when the wall was at about 3d 4h but it takes me more than 10 minutes and I'm putting eggs everywhere!

I been throwing hatchling back, but I'm starting to get locked because I want to keep some of the dragons I grab, so my help is slowing down a bit, 

6 minutes ago, Lady Dragoon said:

I been throwing hatchling back, but I'm starting to get locked because I want to keep some of the dragons I grab, so my help is slowing down a bit, 

Oh, me too!  I keep finding nice checkers that'll help extend my current lineages - if they gender correctly XD!  Wish I wasn't out of Aeons!

48 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:
@Marrionetta by a statement to the contrary do you mean my wish that they’d done a 2g mass breed? Well, of course I wish they had—I collect 2gs. But my personal desires don’t mean I can’t be sincere in apologizing. 

I apologize for jumping to negative conclusions, and for being a sourpuss. I WAS bummed, and because of that I was more argumentative than the discussion called for. It’s certainly not the end of the world—and I am glad for all the people who liked the messies. Even if I STILL think they’re crazy. Can I trade you all some messy Golds for CBs? Call me. XD (half teasing here and half honestly clueless why people like messies, but again—just because I have different views doesn’t mean I can’t be sincere in what I’m saying :) )

And I am backpedaling because I did start out on a wrong assumption, which I am sorry for. I started off this Halloween with a PM about a Spriter’s Alt trade that was very poorly received, when I had 100% not expected it to be, so I was already kind of shaken. And then seeing all the intentional messies—I honestly did think it was an intentional nose-thumbing at people who collect pretty lines (goodness knows we pester spriters quite a bit, ahaha...), especially with all the lulz style memes, which are usually associated with trolling and not nice intent. So I was annoyed and spoke accordingly.

Then I found out it wasn’t the case. I was still pretty thrown off (and bummed) so I was overly vocal in arguing why I felt 2gs would have been better. I still think a straight hundred-deep 2g wall would’ve been awesome, and I’m not going to lie about thinking so. But people can do what they like, and I am glad that people enjoyed the chaos and the spriters got exactly the fun community reaction they were looking for. 

...Actually, I’m realizing now for the first time that the goofy reactions probably were what was aimed for, and that I was missing the point until now. So I tip my hat even more for being slow on that!

Anyway, my previous receding statements (and hopefully this) have been geared precisely at backpedaling exactly because 1) my first few posts were unduly and wrongly confrontational, and because 2) it’s really not worth bad feelings over and I don’t want to glut up the thread any more with such when everyone else is having a good time. 

So I leave here this apology and will let the festivities resume. :) 

I would have loved to see some 2Gs as well. I think those messies were a waste of time and lost opportunities but those Alts are their stuff. If people liked what they did, fine...

Anyway, a hug to ADP ^_^

@Sunrunner ever since two years ago when the Halloween AP went ER for the first time I’ve put aside extra Aeons for this, but I was not expecting the AP to be that bad FOR FIVE DAYS STRAIGHT. ;___;

Wondering if I should get more eggs or wait for the upcoming hatchie tsunami...

I think the messies are pretty hilarious. I unfortunately did not catch any myself, but it was great seeing them make people happy!

And even on a more serious sort of note, they're a nice reminder that spriter alts don't exist to throw out 2gs for everyone. They exist as a thanks to the spriters. Sure, I like a 2g just as much as everyone else, I have a couple myself. But the messies just made me think about how the true purpose of spriter alts is lost within their trading power of 2gs and 3g+ nice lineages, and I think that's rather sad to be honest.

2 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

I think the messies are pretty hilarious. I unfortunately did not catch any myself, but it was great seeing them make people happy!

And even on a more serious sort of note, they're a nice reminder that spriter alts don't exist to throw out 2gs for everyone. They exist as a thanks to the spriters. Sure, I like a 2g just as much as everyone else, I have a couple myself. But the messies just made me think about how the true purpose of spriter alts is lost within their trading power of 2gs and 3g+ nice lineages, and I think that's rather sad to be honest.

This (I got a couple and I love them very much !)

But (((ADP))) too !

Hey, it's been so long since I've been in the trading/breeding forum. I dread that my bred eggs will hit the AP while I'm asleep or at work. Is there a forum I can list the parents and ask for a hand?

I feel that here is not a good spot.

29 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

I think people will self-limit as well. There are so many breeds now and if you have a lot of dragons, it's tiring to breed. At least for me, it is.

I certainly don't breed all my holidays anymore, partially because I'm more aware of lineages now and I know most people won't appreciate my ridiculously-messy lineages. And yeah, partially because there are too many now! I spent a good half hour breeding Halloweens this time and didn't even get through half of them (although, I was taking time to pick out specific mates for some of them, which I don't usually do).

I would *LOVE* a separate holiday AP, that would solve the wall issue very well I think. Those who want them will have no different of an experience, and those who don't want them can go back to hunting regularly as soon as they want. I've always supported a separate holiday AP, but it's been about options and choices in general, allowing people to play the way they want without the AP being blocked from regular eggs for almost two full weeks. Now, however, I have a personal hat in the issue because I've reached *all* my scroll-goals with Halloweens except for this year's breed. I have no idea what next Halloween will be like for me, lol.

27 minutes ago, Kegluneq said:

I would have loved to see some 2Gs as well. I think those messies were a waste of time and lost opportunities but those Alts are their stuff. If people liked what they did, fine...

Anyway, a hug to ADP ^_^

Eh, I'd have preferred a wave of 2G's, as well, honestly - tho I picked up a short-lined messy trololomen cuz it amused me.  Still sad to lose even the miniscule chance of gaining a 2G Alt Omen offspring mate for the Solstice I snagged @X-mas, even if I can fully appreciate the Halloween trick in among all the other treats ^_^.

Say, anyone know if we'll actually be able to clear the AP out?  We could try some calculations.

For estimation purposes, I'm hatching roughly thirty-five eggs per day, in five batches of seven.  (The "roughly" comes in via the batches; it's always seven eggs per batch.)  I didn't breed any appreciable number of eggs to the AP on Halloween.

Can anyone else help estimate the number of eggs bred on Halloween and the number of people working on hatching them?  Some other numbers for eggs hatched per day would be nice, also.

Eggs that are in the AP now were bred on 31st of October after 8 PM, which means we are almost at the end of wall of Halloweens. Only the eggs bred within last 3-4 hours of breeding window (and hatchies) left.

If my calculations are correct, at least

Edited by Verse

Oh, right.  It's possible to figure out when in the day an egg was laid.  *Facepalm*

Thanks.

@KrazyKarp while I understand what you’re saying—they are indeed a gift to the spriters, and we’re not owed their offspring—I’d like to say that many people view babies as things to gift, rather than use as currency and nothing else. Do I sometimes trade the 3g offspring I produce? Oh, absolutely—but for other pretty things so that I can then share more pretties in return. My lists are open free or very cheap in charge to anyone who wants them. And the lineage breeders here are the most generous and helpful users I know—one peek into the gifting and lineage threads and you’ll see people offering up all sorts of treasures. So people don’t just covet low gens as greed, they see them as things to share. This is one of the prettiest SA lines I can breed https://dragcave.net/lineage/TizpX and it wouldn’t have been makeable from messies. :) 

i'm still hatching as many eggs as i can, and sending the hatchies to the ap, though i keep being tempted to keep some pretties.  i'll be sad when the wall ends, but i know that many are just wanting it to go back to ordinary eggs. 

i didn't get around to breeding a lot of my halloweens, though i bred all my witchlights and a few very nice lineages. probably just as well. it's sad when they misgender. 

that's a gorgeous lineage, adp :)

i'm usually a collector of eg checkers and always looking for nice eg SA lineages, so i've always thought messies were a waste of time, though i do appreciate truly messy ones, and enjoyed the trolomens. i love the ones that were gifted to me, just because the whole thing amused me. i plan to breed some messies from them, which is a total change for me. meanwhile, i'm having a great time hunting pretty eg shadow lineages in the ap.

Edited by greycat

12 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@KrazyKarp while I understand what you’re saying—they are indeed a gift to the spriters, and we’re not owed their offspring—I’d like to say that many people view babies as things to gift, rather than use as currency and nothing else. 

I've gotten a lot of wonderful babies as gifts, very messy babies that I love very much. Someone even gifted me a few of those messy Omens! Low-gens and 'clean' lineages are not the only things giftable, or appreciated as gifts. I understand what you are saying, pretty lineage gifts are often very appreciated and fun to give and receive, but so are messies for some people. You wouldn't want to see the AP filled with all messies (I'm assuming), and I wouldn't want to see it filled with all 'pretty' stairsteps and such. Something for everyone is the best way to do it, imo, and there *were* some nice-lineaged SA offspring in the AP, I saw those.

Edited by HeatherMarie