TJ09

2018-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

Strange... out of the eight Arcanas that I have and gendered, Only the Males have grown up to adults???  All four of the Females are still hatchlings???  And yet, when grabbed, they were mixed up, gender-wise, as I was getting them...courious...

4 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@PieMaster oh I know they don’t, otherwise I wouldn’t find so many messies. XD Still, any clean can breed a messy, but no messy can breed a clean, so I feel a wall of 2gs would’ve let people have their pie and eat it, too. People did seem to enjoy the meme it became, and I’m glad for them—I just think a wall of 2gs would’ve been more delightful. Ah well. XD

A messy-lined egg descended from a spriter alt is very different from a messy egg that's the direct child of a spriter alt. It's something that's not common, and I think it's cool that there are a bunch floating around now.

21 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I'm not sure the player base is getting smaller. But the number of Halloween dragons available to breed is growing by leaps and bounds. With no limit on CBs there are more of each breed in the breeding pool than there are for other holidays. I have well over 200 Halloween dragons that I could have bred this year and I know of others who have many more. I was only able to collect about 45 eggs to keep. I realize that some people could time things better and collect more than that, but no one at this point can collect as many as they can breed. With the effect of multi-clutches the disparity is even greater.

I suggested in one of threads dealing with the holiday AP wall, that it might be time to consider cutting back the multiclutching to a max of 3 eggs. I was roundly booed and shot down for that, but I still think it may come to that. If it gets much worse we will have holiday eggs dying behind the wall. That hasn't happened yet, but in a few more years?

You're right, I hadn't looked at it this way. I just based my assumption on how active the forum is.

2 minutes ago, blah said:

You're right, I hadn't looked at it this way. I just based my assumption on how active the forum is.

I think forum activity has gone down a measurable amount since the trading hub was introduced. A lot of people (me included) use the hub almost exclusively now, because it's easier and often faster. That means less forum-trading, and I know there are a number of people who only really used the forum for trading, or wouldn't come here simply for talk if they weren't trading here. 

Finally unlocked, let's dive back into the AP! Wheee!

My small army of cool-code Arcana dragons have started to grow up, muahaha.

6 minutes ago, TCA said:

My small army of cool-code Arcana dragons have started to grow up, muahaha.

Mwee-hee?

2 minutes ago, PieMaster said:

Mwee-hee?

You absolute dork.

Just now, TCA said:

You absolute dork.

But of course.

I am all for more Omen madness. I didn't get to grab as many this year, would love to focus on them more next time. Now that I've met my goal for my Caligene lineage project. :D

24 minutes ago, Tetelestai said:

Next year, more Omen madness? Or some other surprise? :D

I will happily add to the Omen madness with whatever glorious abomination of a lineage I can create. :D (and probably breed one to a Arancia for giggles)

edit: or just ya know breed one of my non holiday mess to a Arancia so I can have even more fun/tricks. :lol:

Edited by Lady Dragoon

5 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@PieMaster oh I know they don’t, otherwise I wouldn’t find so many messies. XD Still, any clean can breed a messy, but no messy can breed a clean, so I feel a wall of 2gs would’ve let people have their pie and eat it, too. People did seem to enjoy the meme it became, and I’m glad for them—I just think a wall of 2gs would’ve been more delightful. Ah well. XD

This, at least to me, feels like a massive backpedal on your previous statement, and juxtaposed with your prior condemnation of their playful mass breed, this comment is jarring. It would feel a lot better to me if maybe you acknowledged what spurred your change of heart, and it would seem more sincere if you didn’t append this message with a statement of your desires to the contrary. I love what Birdz and Pro did and I find their playful antics to be in the spirit of halloween. Do you disagree?

3 minutes ago, Lady Dragoon said:

I will happily add to the Omen madness with whatever glorious abomination of a lineage I can create. :D (and probably breed one to a Arancia for giggles)

I could get on board with this. I have my first Frill dragon from when I started, and he is a hot mess. It's SO on! :D

Hey um, thanks for the really quick addition of the Arcana encyclopedia entry, but why is it titled Arcana Dragons? Every other breed is singular (Albino Dragon, etc...) so it would be nice if it fit into the general template! (Nitpick over).

2 minutes ago, Tetelestai said:

I could get on board with this. I have my first Frill dragon from when I started, and he is a hot mess. It's SO on! :D

Alright! :D

I got plenty of non Holiday dragon messies to start combining my Holiday messies together. :D

15 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Honestly wonder if we should limit the multiclutch to 2 eggs, max of 4 seems unnecessary, and the site was laggy enough as is.

I didn't breed anything just for the AP, specifically because I'm concerned over how long the AP stays clogged afterwards.  Since you can't stop people from massbreeding, I agree the only solution is probably to restrict multiclutches to 2 (or perhaps allow 3-4, but only as extremely rare cases, like <5% of breedings).  I'm currently just picking up eggs, hatching them, and dumping the hatchlings back into the AP.  I can't freeze anything anymore, and I can't keep them if I want to cycle through more.  In good news, I'm seeing more people in the hatcheries than before, which is great!

I have just a couple of spectacular messies on my scroll, from early on.  I wish I had one of the trollomens to breed to them now.   This could be a great tradition!

As far as multiclutching goes-

I only just returned in time for Halloween this year, and so I'd not had experience with the cave these past few years.  I proceeded to breed, among other things, several of my cavern lurkers.  I now know that cavern lurkers are part of the common floods, and will probably not breed them next year unless I know there's demand for them.  Likewise, I'm now aware of the low quantities of witchlights, Omens, etc, so I'll be making sure to breed my Omen Wyrms (which I only got around to doing near the end this year).  Could the community get another year or two to try to stabilize before anything drastic happens?  (This is only the second year with the holiday cave, assuming I've not lost track of anything.)

5 minutes ago, Gryphonic said:

I have just a couple of spectacular messies on my scroll, from early on.  I wish I had one of the trollomens to breed to them now.   This could be a great tradition!

I will absolutely be breeding my trollomens next year so they are even messier, and I'm sure others who caught them will as well- hoprfully there's a chance to grab more next year!

I'm always game for more messies, especially holidays! I think it's generally harder to find messy holidays because so many people are actually aware of and/or mindful of lineages during holidays. 

I do agree that if the holiday-biome continues, multi-clutches could maybe benefit from a slight reduction. The AP wall is a bit much when it lasts 5 days after the end of breeding. But I also agree that we haven't really had the holiday biomes long enough to know for sure how it will effect things in the future; It's still fairly new and exciting so of course more people will be loading up on CBs, but it's possible the breeding/CB balance will even out after the excitement wears off.

Of course now the AP is flooded with my own lineages and I am unable to pick ANY of them up because I abandoned them myself and you cannot pick an egg you abandoned up until someone else has abandoned it afterwards. >__> Could someone please pick up a few of those Lurkers and reabandon them? :P 

Edit: Managed to snag one of my Lurker x Florets. Of course now I think that someone dropped it because it was precog'd to be the wrong gender. Aaaah! XD 

Edited by Imago

8 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm always game for more messies, especially holidays! I think it's generally harder to find messy holidays because so many people are actually aware of and/or mindful of lineages during holidays. 

I do agree that if the holiday-biome continues, multi-clutches could maybe benefit from a slight reduction. The AP wall is a bit much when it lasts 5 days after the end of breeding. But I also agree that we haven't really had the holiday biomes long enough to know for sure how it will effect things in the future; It's still fairly new and exciting so of course more people will be loading up on CBs, but it's possible the breeding/CB balance will even out after the excitement wears off.

It also could only be a problem with Halloween.

I probably going to spend most my time on AP on Christmas/Valentine, since I only need a CB of 2009 Christmas, though I might poke my head into the other biomes once awhile. (I think.... I got all the CB of the Valentine I can get.)

@Marrionetta by a statement to the contrary do you mean my wish that they’d done a 2g mass breed? Well, of course I wish they had—I collect 2gs. But my personal desires don’t mean I can’t be sincere in apologizing. 

I apologize for jumping to negative conclusions, and for being a sourpuss. I WAS bummed, and because of that I was more argumentative than the discussion called for. It’s certainly not the end of the world—and I am glad for all the people who liked the messies. Even if I STILL think they’re crazy. Can I trade you all some messy Golds for CBs? Call me. XD (half teasing here and half honestly clueless why people like messies, but again—just because I have different views doesn’t mean I can’t be sincere in what I’m saying :) )

And I am backpedaling because I did start out on a wrong assumption, which I am sorry for. I started off this Halloween with a PM about a Spriter’s Alt trade that was very poorly received, when I had 100% not expected it to be, so I was already kind of shaken. And then seeing all the intentional messies—I honestly did think it was an intentional nose-thumbing at people who collect pretty lines (goodness knows we pester spriters quite a bit, ahaha...), especially with all the lulz style memes, which are usually associated with trolling and not nice intent. So I was annoyed and spoke accordingly.

Then I found out it wasn’t the case. I was still pretty thrown off (and bummed) so I was overly vocal in arguing why I felt 2gs would have been better. I still think a straight hundred-deep 2g wall would’ve been awesome, and I’m not going to lie about thinking so. But people can do what they like, and I am glad that people enjoyed the chaos and the spriters got exactly the fun community reaction they were looking for. 

...Actually, I’m realizing now for the first time that the goofy reactions probably were what was aimed for, and that I was missing the point until now. So I tip my hat even more for being slow on that!

Anyway, my previous receding statements (and hopefully this) have been geared precisely at backpedaling exactly because 1) my first few posts were unduly and wrongly confrontational, and because 2) it’s really not worth bad feelings over and I don’t want to glut up the thread any more with such when everyone else is having a good time. 

So I leave here this apology and will let the festivities resume. :) 

33 minutes ago, Imago said:

Of course now the AP is flooded with my own lineages and I am unable to pick ANY of them up because I abandoned them myself and you cannot pick an egg you abandoned up until someone else has abandoned it afterwards. >__> Could someone please pick up a few of those Lurkers and reabandon them? :P 

Edit: Managed to snag one of my Lurker x Florets. Of course now I think that someone dropped it because it was precog'd to be the wrong gender. Aaaah! XD 

That was actually me who dropped it to accept a trade, oops! I was going to hatch it and toss it back into the AP but oh well XD

Once again, I keep more AP finds than I intended, but well, they're just so beautiful. 

I will certainly participate in mass breedind my two spriter's alt offsprings next year 😂

I am in favour of restricting multiclutches. I fear for those babies still waiting behind The Wall.