Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

And trees:

Unfortunately, that one is closed. But a new one had been created:

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I am looking at the trading page in the Cave and trying to use it for the first time. There is an egg of the breed I am looking for, offered as a 2g. However, when I looked at its lineage, it is actually 7th gen. The father is a cb but the mother is 6th gen.

Is this considered reportable as false advertising?

@dragongrrl I've read several times that things like this should not be reported (or if they are, it has no consequences), because it is our responsibility to check what we're offering on.

So it's best to assume everyone could be either lying or simply mistaken about what their eggs are, and always verify if it is what you're looking for.

(In this case one could even say it is a 2nd gen because it's the child of a CB... but of course it's not what most players mean when they say "2nd gen".)

8 hours ago, Moriaty said:

what exactly does "free for best offer" mean? I don't understand - best offer is best offer, free is free, how is something free for best offer...?

Different way of saying "will check back in a few hours and will be giving out the egg using an algorithm that isn't first-come-first-serve". In other words, it doesn't matter what you offer to be able to get the egg ("free"), but if someone else offers something that's subjectively better to them ("best offer") by the time they check back, they'll pick that.

8 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I've seen 'free for hatchlings' and 'free for cbs' and such. It's a meaningless term at this point. I just ignore those trades.

Eeh, it's not completely meaningless. "Free for CBs" (when used sincerely) is qualitatively different to "CB offers"; with the former, you can offer any breed of CB egg and have a good chance at getting the egg, with the latter, you can expect the trader to be more picky. Same with hatchlings.

That said, it might be easier (as in, easier to handle on their end and easier for people to interpret) for people to use the term "any" instead of "free for", e.g. "any CB" or "any hatchling". It would save them some space, even. :D

23 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

I am looking at the trading page in the Cave and trying to use it for the first time. There is an egg of the breed I am looking for, offered as a 2g. However, when I looked at its lineage, it is actually 7th gen. The father is a cb but the mother is 6th gen.

Is this considered reportable as false advertising?

Some people don't understand how generations are measured (despite the 'ruler' on the top of the lineage page) by the community and think something bred by CB Breed A x Lineaged Breed B popping out a Breed A makes the dragon a 2G. It's not necessarily malicious, just confusion (much like miscellaneous people in the Trading section routinely mistake widely available alternative sprite forms as spriter's alts - as annoying as that is, they often just don't know better!).

Thank you to Confused Cat and pinkgothic for your answers. I suspected the possibility that they are clueless about the error and wish there was some way to let them know they're not offering what they think.

Anyone else experiencing extreme lag and error messages on the forum?

"The forums are currently under heavy load. Try again in a few moments."

3 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I was having this issue last night, yes.

It seems to have resolved for the moment at least, but it was happening to me for a couple of hours this morning intermittently. And my forum notifications weren't working either. When I clicked on the bell the box dropped down with just an endlessly spinning circle inside and the notifications never did display!

Edit: And apparently I spoke too soon, because that last part about the notifications just started again. :(

Edited by purplehaze

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Yes. This morning and again now.

Is there a way to block someone's avatar? Nothing wrong with the image (in terms of messing with any rules), it's just a character that I personally hate and don't want to see. Obviously I can't and don't have the right to interfere with what others like to choose as their avatar, but is there a way to not see it on my screen?

Or if there's a way to blacklist the person and not see their posts at all I'll take that too (yea I hate that image that much)

1 hour ago, ValidEmotions said:

@Moriaty There's a way to block them from your view. You'll need to go to your Ignored Users list under Account Settings and add them to it. 

Ah that works. Thanks!

You can actually block a specific image. There's one in someone's sig I cannot bear, so I blocked just that.

@Fuzzbucket :'D I don't know how to block a specific image on the forums.

My question: is anyone else having trouble getting their notifications to show? I have a little indicator showing I have two, but the panel won't load for some reason and View All Notifications won't take me to the page; it just didn't stop loading. I also got hit with an error page saying the forums were overloaded and I??? There's like ten members online right now.

Edited by ValidEmotions

5 minutes ago, ValidEmotions said:

My question: is anyone else having trouble getting their notifications to show? I have a little indicator showing I have two, but the panel won't load for some reason and View All Notifications won't take me to the page; it just didn't stop loading. I also got hit with an error page saying the forums were overloaded and I??? There's like ten members online right now.

I've had that problem since yesterday morning, but no error message, just loading endlessly.

@ValidEmotions I've been dealing with that issue since yesterday. 😕 Sometimes it works fine, and then others (like now) it's endlessly loading and not letting me see my notifications. I have not gotten the error page, though.

3 hours ago, ValidEmotions said:

I have had that issue off and on since yesterday. Both with the notifications and the error message. I was shut out of the forums entirely for at least 20 minutes this morning because the page wouldn't load and I got that error message. I wonder if we should make a separate thread for the problem.

3 hours ago, ValidEmotions said:

I don't know what browser add-ons you have, but I right click on one and the option comes up.

when you use the breed sort to see which color a nebula will be, the hatchling/egg will show below the color group it sorts with, right? 

1 minute ago, InvaderAlexis said:

when you use the breed sort to see which color a nebula will be, the hatchling/egg will show below the color group it sorts with, right? 

Only the hatchling, even if ungendered.

But that dodge DOES work for pargulus eggs still ? (Geez I hope it does...)

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But that dodge DOES work for pargulus eggs still ? (Geez I hope it does...)

So far, it has been working for me, with Pargulus eggs.

I'm unsure about Alcedine eggs. So far, they *all* seem to be sorting between the blue and the red adults, for me.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

8 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Only the hatchling, even if ungendered.

hm thats weird, only the hatchling? o.o i mean, in this particular case, i have a hatchling, so it works out, but this trick doesnt work on eggs? strange.

15 minutes ago, InvaderAlexis said:

hm thats weird, only the hatchling? o.o i mean, in this particular case, i have a hatchling, so it works out, but this trick doesnt work on eggs? strange.

TJ nixed it working on eggs some time ago.