Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

Hm, doesn't look like the wiki has the breeding window on its Halloween page. I don't deal with the wiki at all, but I think it might be nice if it listed the breeding window dates for newer users to easily look up.

So we should add this one to all the advantages that veterans have over newbies. Nice to know. NOT.

Thank you so much for providing the info, I'm grateful.

I don't think this is really an advantage. The Wiki is for everyone to use and benefit from.

Prince Xanthius is pointing out that many older players are going on an assumption that because past years' holiday festivities happened on a certain date, then this year's will too. The only thing we can really rely on is TJ's official post.

That being said, I have been playing for a while and I always feel like breeding should start on the 24th. But then it doesn't.

Hm, doesn't look like the wiki has the breeding window on its Halloween page. I don't deal with the wiki at all, but I think it might be nice if it listed the breeding window dates for newer users to easily look up.

So we should add this one to all the advantages that veterans have over newbies. Nice to know. NOT.

Thank you so much for providing the info, I'm grateful.

TJ usually announces this once breeding begins. A few times in the past, he's stated it beforehand, but that's usually only when the event starts at a weird time.

Sorry for being boring but how is a newbie supposed to know about the 168 hours and about Halloween breeding including the 31st? Is that information in the Encyclopedia or is that tribal knowledge so veterans know and newbies do not?

Never forget the wiki is NOT official. But as someone has said - OK it has started on 25th every time I have known it - but TJ could make it start on 30th if he liked. WE can ONLY know when he announces it.

Likewise, the 168 hours isn't written in stone - it has just been that way every time so far. If a newbie wants to look at old announcement threads in news, that can help, but things can always change at a moment's notice.

notbambi - I think I speak for most "older" players when I say we TRY to help with information. I did misunderstand what you meant by "tonight" - as I always do when TJ says midnight - I am sorry. But that's why we HAVE the TLQ thread - so people who don't know can ask and people who do know can answer.. It CAN backfire - if someone who read that post about failed bites not counting as kills, it could have been bad - but it usually works out OK.

I don't think this is really an advantage. The Wiki is for everyone to use and benefit from.

Prince Xanthius is pointing out that many older players are going on an assumption that because past years' holiday festivities happened on a certain date, then this year's will too. The only thing we can really rely on is TJ's official post.

That being said, I have been playing for a while and I always feel like breeding should start on the 24th. But then it doesn't.

I'm not blaming the Wiki. To the best of my knowledge the Wiki is doing everything is possible to keep everybody informed.

Personally I'm quite frustrated by the lack of information on events in DC. Yes, I know that some of you are doing their best to share and I'm so grateful for that. But to rely on that instead of "official" info is so annoying.

I'm not blaming the Wiki. To the best of my knowledge the Wiki is doing everything is possible to keep everybody informed.

Personally I'm quite frustrated by the lack of information on events in DC. Yes, I know that some of you are doing their best to share and I'm so grateful for that. But to rely on that instead of "official" info is so annoying.

You can go back through the calendar and see what the breeding windows were in previous years.

Edited by littleblackdog

You can go back through the calendar and see what the breeding windows were in previous years.

Or look back as far as you can through TJ's posts in the news forum. That has at least the last two years of Halloween event announcements.

It may be a bit frustrating, but it is just the way TJ operates. He likes to keep his cards hidden and his options open.

Edited by purplehaze

It may be a bit frustrating, but it is just the way TJ operates. He likes to keep his cards hidden and his options open.

Basically this, especially the part about keeping his cards hidden. He reveals next to nothing about the inner workings of DC.

Sigh. Double sigh. Here is the thing: there is a big difference between telling the newbie "this is what it is" and saying "we know as much as you do because we do not know if this will be repeated, just go check the News and identify the pattern". Sigh. Will do.

Edited by NotBambi

All us 'vets' can do ourselves is go by what has happened before and what patterns have always been established. Yes, TJ has absolute power as the God of DC, but even he likes order. He usually follows previous patterns, and if they are to change, he lets us know well before hand. The fact that we have had no word of changes in the last two weeks, means to me, it's business as usual.

I WILL be looking tonight to make sure, but at the very very most, in 25 hours or so, the event will begin.

Again, newbies, just ask. Most of us will be willing to share what we know, and if you get someone grumpy, just don't ask them again, and go to the next person.

Edited by Riverwillows

I am super confused about you guys arguing which day the Halloween breeding starts @_@

The 24th is exactly 1 week from Halloween (the 24th will be in roughly 30 mins from this post)

So should I be stalking the AP tonight or tomorrow for eggs?

I am super confused about you guys arguing which day the Halloween breeding starts @_@

The 24th is exactly 1 week from Halloween (the 24th will be in roughly 30 mins from this post)

The halloween breeding event is usually exactly 7 days INCLUDING halloween (the 31st). So therefore it starts at midnight between the 24th and 25th, so 24 hours from now

Just in case wasn't obvious enough... even people that are very active in the forum have no idea when important events start, how can the majority of users know?

The halloween breeding event is usually exactly 7 days INCLUDING halloween (the 31st). So therefore it starts at midnight between the 24th and 25th, so 24 hours from now

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just clarifying... So, what you are saying is that you are basing your assumption on "usually", not on specific information that newbies could have had a chance to gather.

Edited by NotBambi

Just in case wasn't obvious enough... even people that are very active in the forum have no idea when important events start, how can the majority of users know?

Yes, this is the point. Nobody knows for sure except TJ. Not a majority of users, not a minority of users, just TJ.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, just clarifying... So, what you are saying is that you are basing your assumption on "usually", not on specific information that newbies could have had a chance to gather.

Newbies do have a chance to gather "usually", though, the same way everyone else does - by looking at the old news posts or asking someone else. I sure as heck don't remember from one year to the next what day TJ enables breeding on. I know it's a week before the holiday, but I would've guessed the 24th over the 25th because I didn't remember breeding going through the 31st. *shrug*

I'm looking at my Halloween dragons that haven't been bred, and they all say "Last Bred: October 25, 2014" - so I'm assuming that the breeding for all Halloween dragons will start on the 25th, 24 hours from now smile.gif

Hope that helps!

Edit: fixed grammar error

Edited by LumosSeeker148

Yup. It's 24 hours from now. Ok then.

Yes, this is the point. Nobody knows for sure except TJ. Not a majority of users, not a minority of users, just TJ.

Newbies do have a chance to gather "usually", though, the same way everyone else does - by looking at the old news posts or asking someone else. I sure as heck don't remember from one year to the next what day TJ enables breeding on. I know it's a week before the holiday, but I would've guessed the 24th over the 25th because I didn't remember breeding going through the 31st. *shrug*

Exactly. My point is... please be nice when we newbies ask questions about stuff that you guys aren't so sure about either. We do not know so we ask. When we get contempt, we just want to go hide under the next rock.

I always try to be nice when correcting information, though relaying the correct tone on the internet can be pretty tricky. There's a very fine line between snippy and informational, and that's even trickier to stay on the right side of when one doesn't care for emotes. Left without a reply I'll edit some things for hours trying to sand out any potential rough edges. xd.png

I always try to be nice when correcting information, though relaying the correct tone on the internet can be pretty tricky. There's a very fine line between snippy and informational, and that's even trickier to stay on the right side of when one doesn't care for emotes. Left without a reply I'll edit some things for hours trying to sand out any potential rough edges. xd.png

Thanks for trying smile.gif

Considering that the biomes are on the "normal" side, I can forget the subject and go do something else out of DC.

Thanks for trying smile.gif

Considering that the biomes are on the "normal" side, I can forget the subject and go do something else out of DC.

Don't watch the biomes, watch the AP. The biomes will remain normal until the 31st, when the CB Halloween 2015s drop. The AP will be the hotspot of the cave once old Halloween breeding is enabled, as a ton of bred old Halloween breeds will end up there.

Oooohh yeah!! The AP will be so full of Halloween breedings for the next week, people will start to complain about it, lol. It's a great place to hunt down that low gen Halloween if you have not been able to make a deal elsewhere. There will be some low gen gems in the lot of messies, so just keep hunting.

Don't watch the biomes, watch the AP. The biomes will remain normal until the 31st, when the CB Halloween 2015s drop. The AP will be the hotspot of the cave once old Halloween breeding is enabled, as a ton of bred old Halloween breeds will end up there.

I was assuming that the biomes would be very quiet with all hunters in the AP. NP. Gimme time, I'll learn... if I don't get scared away...

Just to make sure I don't screw up:

If I incubate the first 7 Halloween eggs I grab, I can get how many more sets before the actual new eggs drop? I want a full 7 slots open for grabbing the eggs.

Just to make sure I don't screw up:

If I incubate the first 7 Halloween eggs I grab, I can get how many more sets before the actual new eggs drop? I want a full 7 slots open for grabbing the eggs.

If you have enough incubates you should be able to raise 3 sets. In reality I seldom get that many because I will be looking for certain pairings and won't fill up my 7 slots all at once.

Edit: That is, grab a set on the 25th that will hatch on the 27th. Grab another set on the 27th that will hatch on the 29th. Grab another set that will hatch on the 31st. Obviously you want that last set to hatch as early as possible on the 31st to give you lots of time to get your new Halloween eggs. Those are usually really easy to get, though, in spite of the fact that everyone can grab their full scroll limit rather than just 2 CBs like other holidays.

Edited by purplehaze

I was assuming that the biomes would be very quiet with all hunters in the AP. NP. Gimme time, I'll learn... if I don't get scared away...

Biomes will indeed be very quiet, but it's hard to distinguish from the typical lack of grabbing at night since the 5m shuffle and hourdrop will still occur as usual.

I have exactly 21 Incubates available at this moment.

I have a total of 34 adult reds, with most of the ones still on cool down coming off of it in ~2/3 days.

Would that be enough in time for Halloween?