Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

49 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Oooh! When did leetle trees become nameable?

Probably sometime in July, judging from this thread.

I hope this is an appropriate question for this thread...not sure where/who else to ask.

After one initial Green Spinel egg I am having absolutely no luck getting another Spinel egg from a pairing with Khusa. I even whined and got my brother to try his pairs and he had no luck either on 3 tries. Plenty of Khusa eggs being born. I get Green Spinels from pairings with other breeds. Anyone have any idea what the deal is? Is this just random bad luck?

Some time around 18th, I'd say. Breeding has in the past started on 19th....

3 hours ago, lanette said:

I hope this is an appropriate question for this thread...not sure where/who else to ask.

After one initial Green Spinel egg I am having absolutely no luck getting another Spinel egg from a pairing with Khusa. I even whined and got my brother to try his pairs and he had no luck either on 3 tries. Plenty of Khusa eggs being born. I get Green Spinels from pairings with other breeds. Anyone have any idea what the deal is? Is this just random bad luck?

Ratios. Everyone went for green Spinels (perceived rarity) but not many people bred Khusas yet (due to perceived commonness).

Since dragons have unique codes, why do their names also have to be unique? Something I've been wondering about.

1 hour ago, Lurhstaap said:

Since dragons have unique codes, why do their names also have to be unique? Something I've been wondering about.

Well I can think of several compelling reasons to maintain unique dragon names, but I don't think anyone but TJ could tell you why it is actually the case. 

Possible considerations: 

Logistics: Dragons can still be viewed using the old /view/n/NAME URLs, and developing a workaround for this feature (which continues to be useful even though the default URLS are code-based, when searching for a specific dragon or checking if a name is available) would be more trouble than it seems to be worth based on other considerations. Removing name-based URLs completely would be wildly impractical without the introduction of an in-site search function, which would raise a lot of logistical questions in and of itself. I do not build websites but this all sounds like a massive pile of work. 

Fraud: I don't know if current players care as much about specific notable dragons and their offspring as they  used to, but if anyone could have their own counterfeit (The Original) Midas Dorkface, or same-name clones of TJ's Thuweds, users would do it, maliciously, to take advantage of other people in trades. Names are memorable and sometimes iconic; randomly-generated codes are rarely either. 

Devaluation: Good names are a transferable commodity in this game, and making all names available to all users devalues the names themselves. Name trading is a thing, and people do place considerable value on good names in the economy of this game. Even back in the late 2000s it took a lot of luck or a lot of work to get really good dragon names. It wouldn't be fair to players who put in effort or made not-insubstantial trades to get the names they wanted if suddenly everyone could call their dragons exactly what they've been holding onto as something special. 

Confusion: Mistaken identity could easily become a huge problem even when malicious fraud is discounted. If names were reusable without restriction it would be very, very easy for a player to accidentally name two dragons identically and then misbreed them, for example.  Even if names were not reusable on an individual scroll (if the view/n/NAME URLs were replaced by something like (view/USERNAME/DRAGONNAME; that would require dragon names be unique within a scroll), dragons belonging to different users could be mistaken for each other and names could be repeated ad infinitum in lineages, making it difficult to manually check if dragons have been inbred. 

So as I said before, only TJ can really say why it is the way it is, but unique names have a lot going for them in practical terms if you think about it. Valkemare canon and dragon lore in general supports the use of unique names over commonly shared names as well - there's only one Smaug, after all.

On 12/5/2017 at 3:43 PM, anetofstars said:

Why does this show Valentine's Day info when it should be Christmas?

On the same note, Valentines day is blank... 

Possibly a glitch or something?

@Draconiusultamius You can probably blame the forum upgrade for that as well. Right after the upgrade, all those news posts were empty (because TJ used special coding in them that the upgrade dismissed), and later, TJ tried to restore that, apparently.

5 hours ago, tiktokism said:

Well I can think of several compelling reasons to maintain unique dragon names, but I don't think anyone but TJ could tell you why it is actually the case. 

Possible considerations: 

Logistics: Dragons can still be viewed using the old /view/n/NAME URLs, and developing a workaround for this feature (which continues to be useful even though the default URLS are code-based, when searching for a specific dragon or checking if a name is available) would be more trouble than it seems to be worth based on other considerations. Removing name-based URLs completely would be wildly impractical without the introduction of an in-site search function, which would raise a lot of logistical questions in and of itself. I do not build websites but this all sounds like a massive pile of work. 

Fraud: I don't know if current players care as much about specific notable dragons and their offspring as they  used to, but if anyone could have their own counterfeit (The Original) Midas Dorkface, or same-name clones of TJ's Thuweds, users would do it, maliciously, to take advantage of other people in trades. Names are memorable and sometimes iconic; randomly-generated codes are rarely either. 

Devaluation: Good names are a transferable commodity in this game, and making all names available to all users devalues the names themselves. Name trading is a thing, and people do place considerable value on good names in the economy of this game. Even back in the late 2000s it took a lot of luck or a lot of work to get really good dragon names. It wouldn't be fair to players who put in effort or made not-insubstantial trades to get the names they wanted if suddenly everyone could call their dragons exactly what they've been holding onto as something special. 

Confusion: Mistaken identity could easily become a huge problem even when malicious fraud is discounted. If names were reusable without restriction it would be very, very easy for a player to accidentally name two dragons identically and then misbreed them, for example.  Even if names were not reusable on an individual scroll (if the view/n/NAME URLs were replaced by something like (view/USERNAME/DRAGONNAME; that would require dragon names be unique within a scroll), dragons belonging to different users could be mistaken for each other and names could be repeated ad infinitum in lineages, making it difficult to manually check if dragons have been inbred. 

So as I said before, only TJ can really say why it is the way it is, but unique names have a lot going for them in practical terms if you think about it. Valkemare canon and dragon lore in general supports the use of unique names over commonly shared names as well - there's only one Smaug, after all.

All this. Unique names are something I really value and I would have it to change. And the /n/ feature is hugely useful.

I wasn't suggesting it should change. Just curious what the original rationale was. Clearly now it's way too important to the game to change. 

Is it possible to Neglect hatchlings? I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

Edit: spelling

Edited by The Dragoness

2 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

Possible yes - just way, waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy harder.

6 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

Can confirm what Herk said. I've actually done it. It was complete luck, though.

Is it just my luck, or are Thalassa Xenos more common then the other Xenos? I have 13 of those, and less then 10 of the others, and it seems I see that type a lot more often in the AP.

I think only TJ can answer that with any accuracy. :(

11 hours ago, Marie19R said:

Is it just my luck, or are Thalassa Xenos more common then the other Xenos? I have 13 of those, and less then 10 of the others, and it seems I see that type a lot more often in the AP.

I'd say it's just that someone else has an over-abundance of Astrapis, someone of Gaias, someone of Pyros etc. The overall numbers on DC are probably in close range to each other.

Maybe you should try a different biome (if you're cave hunting, that is). ;)

4 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

Can Holidays reject during their breeding season?

No, rejections are turned off. Even dragons that have rejected each other at other times of the year should breed during their holiday breeding season.

17 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

No, rejections are turned off. Even dragons that have rejected each other at other times of the year should breed during their holiday breeding season.

Thanks!