cyradis4

AP: 1 line of non-Holiday during Holidays

The Hidden Cave option would take care of that issue easily... 1 cave for Holiday eggs, 1 cave for normal eggs.

I support the Hidden Cave option.. seems like the least intrusive and easiest option to code too.

Why not we could have been options like "hide holiday dragons"?

This seems like another option that would do well in its own thread as it is yet another suggestion that might work fine on computers, but might be hard to work with on mobile devices.

I'm using a tablet as we speak and couldn't agree more. Single line of regular eggs please.

Why not we could have been options like "hide holiday dragons"?

I said this about the hidden cave idea and I think it applies here as well: we can't really split the DC population into people who want holidays and people who want non-holidays; there will be people who will want both. Doing something like this, or like having a hidden cave, is certainly appealing to me - I get bored of the holiday wall pretty quickly and would love being able to just completely ignore it at times - but it feels too restrictive. Changing the bottom line of the AP to non-holidays when there's a wall would allow any type of hunting, rather than forcing a player to have to choose between holidays and non-holidays (or constantly flicking between the two). And, as others have stated, it wouldn't work as well for those on phones and tablets.

I said this about the hidden cave idea and I think it applies here as well: we can't really split the DC population into people who want holidays and people who want non-holidays; there will be people who will want both. Doing something like this, or like having a hidden cave, is certainly appealing to me - I get bored of the holiday wall pretty quickly and would love being able to just completely ignore it at times - but it feels too restrictive. Changing the bottom line of the AP to non-holidays when there's a wall would allow any type of hunting, rather than forcing a player to have to choose between holidays and non-holidays (or constantly flicking between the two). And, as others have stated, it wouldn't work as well for those on phones and tablets.

You is smart and I totally agree with you. smile.gif

Adding my voice for making a line that is just non-Holiday eggs. I'm garbage at planning and tend to have extra hatchling space during the Holidays - I wouldn't mind the chance to grab some incuhatchable commons (should they appear!).

No support. The holidays are the only time that the eggs are produced, it doesn't cost nothing to wait some days to keep hunting cave blockers until the holiday breeding ends.

This. No support

Agreed. A single line of normal eggs at the bottom accommodates everyone without being hard on mobile users, and... Honestly, it's not like there won't be plenty of Holidays to choose from anyway. Plus, I'd like the option to check out some lowtime eggs during the holiday breeding myself, even if I probably wouldn't keep them unless they were really nice.

The holidays are the only time that the eggs are produced, it doesn't cost nothing to wait some days to keep hunting cave blockers until the holiday breeding ends.
These lower-timed CB commons I'd much like to have? They will simply blip out of existence due to a massive wall of holidays, most of which I couldn't care less about... Eggs run out of time are forever lost due to that wall, so yes, it does cost. You're also making a fair share of the people unable to play the game for a period of time ... why exactly? The holidays would still be there and a line of normal eggs won't hurt you in any way.

As a sidenote - the holiday wall has just about been brought into existence. At times you can barely see a handful of normal eggs at the bottom, but I expect those to be gone soon.

Support. As yet I have nothing to add that was not already said, though I wish to also lend my support to the "Yes it does 'cost' - the deaths of the eggs trapped behind the wall" sentiment.

This, very much.

I'm surprised that this is even up for debate. This suggestion *hurts no one*. It doesn't mix holidays with regulars, it doesn't make holidays any harder to catch. It's one simple line for people who *want* regulars in the AP. Like me. I would love to do that during holidays. And I'm unsure why this is a bad thing.

That's what I've been wondering as I read through this whole thread. People seem(ed) to be acting as though it were a grave affront to their playing style during the period Holidays could be found in the AP.

As I explained, there is almost no time or space cost to saving at-risk eggs. I don't think it's a stretch to say you could find 10 to 20 people willing to catch, hatch, release, catch, hatch, release, and save all of those eggs. It's probably not a stretch to find ten times that who'd at least pick up enough to hatchie-lock themselves.

From reading this, I think - can't know until/unless it happens - that I would lend a hand to this, at least a little bit. And I would gladly freeze some of the 'ugly' lineages, just to have cute frozens on my scroll.

Edited by SkylerFarrier

Support. As yet I have nothing to add that was not already said, though I wish to also lend my support to the "Yes it does 'cost' - the deaths of the eggs trapped behind the wall" sentiment.

That's what I've been wondering as I read through this whole thread. People seem(ed) to be acting as though it were a grave affront to their playing style during the period Holidays could be found in the AP.

From reading this, I think - can't know until/unless it happens - that I would lend a hand to this, at least a little bit. And I would gladly freeze some of the 'ugly' lineages, just to have cute frozens on my scroll.

This. As wordy as I tend to be, I can't believe I skirted around this thought.

It seems to me that TJ has done SOMETHING ? There is mostly no holiday wall - but sometimes there is. And several eggs I bred today, for instance, have not been picked up and are not in the AP. I had a look, when I realised that all the eggs in there for the last 15 minutes had been non-holidays at 4 days and change... But when there ARE holidays, they are all at the top. Interesting...

I thought it was just people waiting for the actual holiday to come around for breeding... The time before christmas feels more holiday-like than the time before valentines, and valentines is also a bit of an exclusive holiday and nothing almost everyone celebrates. I had attributed it to that so far, but I absolutely can't remember what it was like last valentines, so it might just as well be an actual change. It's definitely different from the christmas wall.

I thought it was just people waiting for the actual holiday to come around for breeding... The time before christmas feels more holiday-like than the time before valentines, and valentines is also a bit of an exclusive holiday and nothing almost everyone celebrates. I had attributed it to that so far, but I absolutely can't remember what it was like last valentines, so it might just as well be an actual change. It's definitely different from the christmas wall.

All I know is that the eggs I bred TODAY about half of them have been picked up, and the ones that haven't have not made it to the wall. Which is - odd !

Waiting for the holiday - that's madness, surely; it's not about what we celebrate (I don't do it much myself !) - but anyone building lineages needs as much TIME as possible to breed loads - and then all the extras go to the AP, and where do they go ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

This is why we don't need this:

https://i.imgur.com/gHpD40q.png

Less than 2 days for valentine's and no val eggs in the AP. Where is the wall that desperately needs a line of caveblockers?

Edited by danicast

All I know is that the eggs I bred TODAY about half of them have been picked up, and the ones that haven't have not made it to the wall. Which is - odd !

Waiting for the holiday - that's madness, surely; it's not about what we celebrate (I don't do it much myself !) - but anyone building lineages needs as much TIME as possible to breed loads - and then all the extras go to the AP, and where do they go ?

Saame happened to some of my christmas dragons as well actually, they took some time to hit the ap

Less than 2 days for valentine's and no val eggs in the AP. Where is the wall that desperately needs a line of caveblockers?

That's probably because there aren't as many Valentines as the other Holidays.

This has my full support. It'll be needed in a year or two.

Edited by Myra the Sark

I am curious if this is still a problem after TJ lifted the limits on how many bred eggs we can grab. (problem being eggs dying) It seems like there are ebbs and flows. Everyone gets full, so there's a day or two of holiday walls. Then it clears and we get low timers, usually around prime time. Granted, I'd support this all the same but I think it might be a bit unnecessary.

I am curious if this is still a problem after TJ lifted the limits on how many bred eggs we can grab. (problem being eggs dying) It seems like there are ebbs and flows. Everyone gets full, so there's a day or two of holiday walls. Then it clears and we get low timers, usually around prime time. Granted, I'd support this all the same but I think it might be a bit unnecessary.

Valentines are less common than the other two. The wall at Halloween was epic! And the wall at Christmas was nice (lasted 2 / 3 days past the Holiday). This Valentines I don't expect we'll need it. But we will need something like this at Halloween and next Christmas.

Valentines also suffers from the problem that all of the eggs are *pink*. Now I have no problems with pink dragons. But there are only so many lineages you can do with dragons that are uniformly pink / red.

Cheers!

C4.

It seems to me that TJ has done SOMETHING ? There is mostly no holiday wall - but sometimes there is. And several eggs I bred today, for instance, have not been picked up and are not in the AP. I had a look, when I realised that all the eggs in there for the last 15 minutes had been non-holidays at 4 days and change... But when there ARE holidays, they are all at the top. Interesting...

To me it seems that TJ hasn't done anything in particular, everything seems like the past holidays I experienced (see my post on page 6 in this thread, Feb 4). But our views may differ just because we live in different timezones. I mostly hunt for more after midnight - early morning in DC's time while other people might be in bed.

If anything, danicast's screenshot does not differ much from what I can/could experience - almost every day there are phases where the holidays even do not fill the first line. Yesterday evening in my timezone it was 'terrible' for me as holiday hunter - especially when you try to collect Radiant Angels...

EDITED for grammar!

Edited by Mondat

user posted image Well, there's a wall now. It'll be worse in a few years.

It will last for just 2 days. People can't stop to hunt caveblockers for just 2 days? The green wall was completely filled with commons in the past 3 days and nobody was catching those.

The next complain will be about more lines of commons during the special events because people can't find rares in the AP during the festivities because "the only line of commons only have caveblockers that nobody wants".

Still no support. People can spend a couple of days in each event without hunt in the AP.

I was supporting this idea strongly... But then I went to the AP and saw there were lots of non-holiday eggs. I've encountered walls two or three times and non lasted for more than a minute .-. So I think this would not be necessary.

I was supporting because the way Christmas was. No-freaking-space-for-other-single-thing! xd.png

Valentine's always been less popular than Christmas. I think next year, there will be a LOT more Valentines around in the AP. And Valentines being not-impressive doesn't mean that Halloween and Christmas won't be an issue.

Cheers!

C4.

>_> Eggs did die during Christmas. Those eggs definitely would have been picked up eventually, once they became ER, but stayed behind the holiday wall and thus weren't seen, weren't picked up, and were wasted. The same thing has the potential to happen every year on every holiday. Something like this would only be in effect during the times it was actually needed; when the entire AP was a wall of holidays, one line would show the eggs with the lowest times, the way it normally does. It'd just offer a way of getting past the wall when the wall doesn't want you to see past it.

There are eggs that can be enjoyed by other people, but instead are bred only to die. I think that's a bit of a shame, especially when I know that I (and others!) would be more than happy to pick up low-time commons during the holidays.