cyradis4

AP: 1 line of non-Holiday during Holidays

Excuse me? I beg your pardon? Am I not the OP? You can take a look at my scroll. I AM a lineage builder / hoarder and I not only support this suggestion, I made it!

This is something that does not benefit me in any way shape or form, but I still view it as an improvement to the cave and am supporting and OP'ing the thread.

Time and again in this thread, the people most vocal for change for lineage building / hoarding have posted in support. The people who you are talking about are the same people who reject most changes, period, including the ones that the lineage builders most desire. I've tangled with almost all of them before.

DO NOT paint with such a broad brush.

As for TJ's comment, he's a sprite collector and NOT a lineage builder / hoarder, and he's the one you need to talk to, because he's the one that's saying there isn't a problem. And in fact, a sprite collector who's been around for a while might not even notice the wall. I assure you, any lineage builders / hoarder worth the name will assuredly notice that wall!

C4.

Calm down calm down, I think you took my statement the wrong way.

I'm not saying lineage builders are being nay sayers, I mentioned that this gameplay style you are helping others stick up for is just as important as lineage building, and it seems unfair that (like with lineage building) people are just being told to pipe down and deal with it in other ways.

I never meant to say its lineage builders fault. If you feel my post goes out of line or might point fingers, please feel free to PM me asking me if this is the case. I don't like being called out on misunderstandings ^w^

Simply put, I remember that many times lineage builders who cried out to how unfair it was that some users belittled their play style. If you look now, lineage building is such a prolifient and strong part of DC. The way people are treating this suggestion feels the same way. They belittle the AP hunting like "Oh pipe down and just go hunt the cave." You know what I mean? Its not fair to belittle play styles the way lineage building was belittled back when it was first a thing. Shooting down a suggestion because that play style is not important to you is not the way this should work. One has to consider all play styles and say, "Okay, this obviously affects this group of people. Why and is it really worth changing/does it affect the site negatively?"

Again, sorry if my original post was taken the wrong way. I will do my best to elaborate my posts more in the future to avoid confusion and wrongly placed frustration.

*offers C4 some chocolates* Please forgive me for my crappy writing? Happy valentines day by the way.

Edited by AnanoKimi

As you and AnanoKimi are most likely also talking about me when you speak of "people" I feel the need to reply to say again that I am not against this - I just do not actively support it because I do not think it's necessary. Which I mostly base on my own observations and tolerance.

If I imagine myself not being interested in holidays at all...

a. from my past holidays experiences I can tell that there are non-holiday AP eggs, every holiday breeding season since Halloween '13 I had "darn, where are the holiday eggs?" moments. I can also provide a screenshot from Feb 9 8:33 AM JST (= Feb 8 6:33 PM DC time, if I'm correct) where you can see only 3 Valentine eggs although it was the same day Valentine breeding started.

b. if there's a holiday wall I would just go hunting in the cave, take care of my breeding projects (there are options) or just wait until holiday breeding is over, it's temporary => as you know C4, I do not celebrate these holidays. But I like the events and the looks of the limited dragons, I even work on some holiday dragons which I hope to submit anytime. (Also love the present matchmaking event because it reminds of a suggestion for breeding I posted last year => maybe a bump is in order...). However I have to, can and will accept that there are some things in the game/mechanics that won't be changed just because of my personal situation/preferance.

I am not an evil person. I just do not support things just for the sake of supporting and/or "community feels" - not anymore.

So, instead of taking this onto a personal/emotional level it might be better to focus on the topic instead of "people" because assumptions and accusations can make things get really ugly fast?

Simply put, I remember that many times lineage builders who cried out to how unfair it was that some users belittled their play style. If you look now, lineage building is such a prolifient and strong part of DC. The way people are treating this suggestion feels the same way. They belittle the AP hunting like "Oh pipe down and just go hunt the cave." You know what I mean? Its not fair to belittle play styles the way lineage building was belittled back when it was first a thing. Shooting down a suggestion because that play style is not important to you is not the way this should work. One has to consider all play styles and say, "Okay, this obviously affects this group of people. Why and is it really worth changing/does it affect the site negatively?"

Yea, your post read as though it were the *lineage builders* who were against this.

Personally, the answer of "sit down and shut up and be glad you get what you get" is, to me, never an acceptable answer or solution. Its gotten me into the ill graces of certain site users. My view on that? I'm rather delighted by it. smile.gif I find that sort of thought repellent.

I have no explanation on why some people are against this. It causes no harm to anyone, and helps in a lot of ways. Indifference I can understand, but... being against it? However, given TJ's post on the previous page, we're going to have to convince him at Halloween. This Valentine's wall is.... really lame. No solid wall to speak of till now, and even then its only about 2 hrs so far.

Its easy to dismiss this as a problem with the current "evidence" not being very compelling. Its a shame no one took records of last Halloween's wall, and this past Christmas's, but... Oh well. The wall at the next Halloween will speak for us, when its far worst than the 2014 Halloween wall. It still won't convince some of the people against this, but it should hopefully get TJ's attention.

Cheers!

C4.

The wall in AP this year only happened today. The other days I saw at max 2 lines of valentines. I honestly like seeing a full wall in the AP at least on valentines/christmas day and I don't mind at all. But if one line is taken up with other eggs, I don't mind either, it doesn't hurt at all. I don't really have a reason to either want or not want this suggestion, whatever happens just doesn't bother me so... You get my +1

As you and AnanoKimi are most likely also talking about me when you speak of "people" I feel the need to reply to say again that I am not against this - I just do not actively support it because I do not think it's necessary. Which I mostly base on my own observations and tolerance.

If I imagine myself not being interested in holidays at all...

a. from my past holidays experiences I can tell that there are non-holiday AP eggs, every holiday breeding season since Halloween '13 I had "darn, where are the holiday eggs?" moments. I can also provide a screenshot from Feb 9 8:33 AM JST (= Feb 8 6:33 PM DC time, if I'm correct) where you can see only 3 Valentine eggs although it was the same day Valentine breeding started.

b. if there's a holiday wall I would just go hunting in the cave, take care of my breeding projects (there are options) or just wait until holiday breeding is over, it's temporary => as you know C4, I do not celebrate these holidays. But I like the events and the looks of the limited dragons, I even work on some holiday dragons which I hope to submit anytime. (Also love the present matchmaking event because it reminds of a suggestion for breeding I posted last year => maybe a bump is in order...). However I have to, can and will accept that there are some things in the game/mechanics that won't be changed just because of my personal situation/preferance.

I am not an evil person. I just do not support things just for the sake of supporting and/or "community feels" - not anymore.

So, instead of taking this onto a personal/emotional level it might be better to focus on the topic instead of "people" because assumptions and accusations can make things get really ugly fast?

Its not personal/emotional, its fact. The wals will continue getting bigger, and they will last longer, as last minute breeders get in and breed their babies for trade/gift/AP. With bred holiday limits lifted, this means more, and more, and more holidays will continue to drown the AP and the much coveted low time AP eggs that may be messy, may be CB, or may be amazing lineages.

The response of "pipe down and go hunt the cave" is along the lines of "Quit complaining, you didnt win and move on." I've supported ideas that allow prizes to remain as prize that can be earned through the normal yearly raffle and some sort of on site work, and all because I know that line of "Quit complaining" tends to get annoying and I hate being belittled or watching others get belittled.

In the end its not supporting for sh*ts and giggles, its supporting because it is an issue for some users who don't want to stare at a wall of pink and red eggs for hours or days. It gets old fast. As many have said, why the heck take an egg at 7 days, incubate, and wait three more; when I can get an egg that hatches in less that 24 hours and I can keep as freezing fodder or raise to continue its lineage if its nice enough. This is part of the way some people play the game. It isnt adult catching or scroll comments, or some random suggestion thats more for asthetics than actual game use or game play. This affects how people play and as such should be considered as something that be fixed or brainstormed rather than tossed aside as "Oh these people complaining about useless crap no one cares about again."

Edited by AnanoKimi

I don't think arguing that this shouldn't be a thing because there was no wall this time around is valid. Did ya'll not see the massive Halloween and Christmas walls? I was catching Halloweens from the AP two days after Halloween breeding had ended! I was actually SURPRISED to not see a wall this Holiday--it seems the exception rather than the norm. One I hope reverses eventually. <w<

That being said, I'm only down for this if that extra line is ADDED rather than the current bottom line being taken over. As is, I've picked up and thrown back quite a few VDays several times over. Having less to browse from would probably make that even worse. >___<

In the end its not supporting for sh*ts and giggles, its supporting because it is an issue for some users who don't want to stare at a wall of pink and red eggs for hours or days. It gets old fast.

Although I support this suggestion, there ARE people not bothered at all with AP holiday walls (like me). It's difficult to support a change if you have no problems with how it currently is. It's just the way it is. I only support it because either way it doesn't bother me or my way of playing and if it is a problem for some people, why not try it right?

But at least you're willing to give it a try. Its knowing that despite the fact that its not something you mind, its something others do and as such it wont hurt to try it out. There in lies the difference. Again, its not supporting just for the sake of it, its supporting because despite it not affecting you directly one way or another, its something that affects others and as such there is no harm in doing it.

Its not personal/emotional, its fact. The wals will continue getting bigger, and they will last longer, as last minute breeders get in and breed their babies for trade/gift/AP. With bred holiday limits lifted, this means more, and more, and more holidays will continue to drown the AP and the much coveted low time AP eggs that may be messy, may be CB, or may be amazing lineages.

The response of "pipe down and go hunt the cave" is along the lines of "Quit complaining, you didnt win and move on." I've supported ideas that allow prizes to remain as prize that can be earned through the normal yearly raffle and some sort of on site work, and all because I know that line of "Quit complaining" tends to get annoying and I hate being belittled or watching others get belittled.

In the end its not supporting for sh*ts and giggles, its supporting because it is an issue for some users who don't want to stare at a wall of pink and red eggs for hours or days. It gets old fast. As many have said, why the heck take an egg at 7 days, incubate, and wait three more; when I can get an egg that hatches in less that 24 hours and I can keep as freezing fodder or raise to continue its lineage if its nice enough. This is part of the way some people play the game. It isnt adult catching or scroll comments, or some random suggestion thats more for asthetics than actual game use or game play. This affects how people play and as such should be considered as something that be fixed or brainstormed rather than tossed aside as "Oh these people complaining about useless crap no one cares about again."

You misunderstood. You are making this personal/emotional when your focus is on the people in this discussion and not on "1 line of non-holidays during holidays".

I do not have more to add which might be productive for this thread. Holiday breeding is 3 times a year and if people can grab more holidays from the AP, I'll gladly let them. If TJ changes his mind, that's fine.

Edited by Mondat

I don't think arguing that this shouldn't be a thing because there was no wall this time around is valid. Did ya'll not see the massive Halloween and Christmas walls? I was catching Halloweens from the AP two days after Halloween breeding had ended! I was actually SURPRISED to not see a wall this Holiday--it seems the exception rather than the norm. One I hope reverses eventually.

There was a wall. At least since 3 PM cave time yesterday. Still going strong now.

b. if there's a holiday wall I would just go hunting in the cave, take care of my breeding projects (there are options) or just wait until holiday breeding is over, it's temporary => as you know C4, I do not celebrate these holidays.

Sorry, hunting what in the cave? The 2 CBs that I already got? And, there are different play styles. I am not a breeder. Should I just stay away for 3 days?

Edited by _Sin_

I do not have more to add which might be productive for this thread. Holiday breeding is 3 times a year and if people can grab more holidays from the AP, I'll gladly let them. If TJ changes his mind, that's fine.

The bolded is what I was trying to get at too. These events happen only three times a year and to have to add in coding for an extra line just for what last three weeks in all the entire year seems to much.

I am not trying to offend honestly I am just trying to see why three weeks of egg "blockage" seems to be disliked?

The bolded is what I was trying to get at too. These events happen only three times a year and to have to add in coding for an extra line just for what last three weeks in all the entire year seems to much.

I am not trying to offend honestly I am just trying to see why three weeks of egg "blockage" seems to be disliked?

Well did you ask yourself how you would feel being "blocked" three weeks from the cave? And consider that Xmas is when many of us (for example thanks to the "use it or loose it" vacations policy in many states or school/college breaks) can spend more time in DC.

Also as is obviously noted, low time eggs will always trump any full time eggs 99.9% unless they are holiday or certain special eggs. That being said, the AP is our low time cave we like to scour and the back log takes that away from many of us. Right now I don't want any more holidays. I got my fill of sweetlings and I got an extra here and there of what I already have. I'm not a huge hoarder of holidays and at this point just wanna hatch low time messies to freeze or a few cute lineages to raise. The backlog of holidays this year for val will only get worse, and worse. Its a pain and really if at least we can't get a line then make the regular AP have all the holidays and maybe make a new link on holiday seasons with the secret ave thing that allow users to circumvent the holiday wall and still hunt AP eggs.

Something honestly. For those of us who like DC for its AP during this time of year when it lets eggs get to that prime hatching time.

Excuse me? I beg your pardon? Am I not the OP? You can take a look at my scroll. I AM a lineage builder / hoarder and I not only support this suggestion, I made it!

This is something that does not benefit me in any way shape or form, but I still view it as an improvement to the cave and am supporting and OP'ing the thread.

Time and again in this thread, the people most vocal for change for lineage building / hoarding have posted in support. The people who you are talking about are the same people who reject most changes, period, including the ones that the lineage builders most desire. I've tangled with almost all of them before.

DO NOT paint with such a broad brush.

I too am a lineage builder, and I would probably ignore an extra line of regulars, and for ME I don't care, but I very much support this suggestion for those who are bored with holiday dragons. Because it would not affect me in the very slightest,and it would make others happy. Win-win xd.png

I too am a lineage builder, and I would probably ignore an extra line of regulars, and for ME I don't care, but I very much support this suggestion for those who are bored with holiday dragons. Because it would not affect me in the very slightest,and it would make others happy. Win-win xd.png

Ditto.

Besides, I somehow knew that the holiday wall was still going to happen. And it has been strong since yesterday, and will stay that way for about another day or two. I've been told that this is a tactical thing, because people who know how DC works want to preserve the wall for as long as possible so they can get another batch of holiday eggs for themselves.

In any case, I'm sure the wall will go down during the first 6 to 12 hours of the 16th. Which means that those players who want to grab as much freezing fodder as possible will have to do other stuff than that for 2.5 days. That's 2.5 days with nothing but self-bred eggs and holiday eggs.

I'm in support of this idea.

I can also understand a little of the resistance too, I guess, though I must admit I'm a bit confused by this;

I feel the need to reply to say again that I am not against this - I just do not actively support it because I do not think it's necessary. Which I mostly base on my own observations and tolerance.

This isn't an attack or anything, the point just is slightly baffling to me. No one is asking anyone to donate money or march in protest. There's nothing at stake, why NOT support it? That's like saying "I'm not cold at this temperature, so you don't need a jacket." to someone who is cold. Just because something might not affect one personally, nor negatively impact their preference, doesn't mean they cannot support change that would benefit others. Change that makes everything more palatable for everyone should be actively encouraged at all times, not just when it suits us.

Many folks seem to dislike the straight on wall of Holidays, and honestly, it gets boring even for a slightly(vastly) too excited collector like myself. I totally understand the annoyance of wanting something that should be simple to find and instead finding a wall of others.

Sure, it's great if you want holiday eggs, but it's absolutely terrible if you don't give a fig. The way I see it, don't shove Christmas down the throat of someone who wants to celebrate Kwanzaa, let everyone have their fun, it can't hurt.

That's just my two cents, ignore me.

Edited by Perspicacity

Ditto.

Besides, I somehow knew that the holiday wall was still going to happen. And it has been strong since yesterday, and will stay that way for about another day or two. I've been told that this is a tactical thing, because people who know how DC works want to preserve the wall for as long as possible so they can get another batch of holiday eggs for themselves.

*cough* This is true xd.png...

I have several free hatchling-slots and two egg slots. I have already gotten /more/ holiday eggs than I want, holiday eggs I picked up just because ... eh, why not if have the space anyway. I've been checking the abandoned page since I woke up in the morning, but the Wall is still there. The cave is all the new valentine, of which I already have the two I can get. The free space on my scroll taunts me. This is no fun, I tell you, no fun - and exactly why we need some normal eggs *somewhere* but the trading forum.

The year has 365 days. I refuse to believe that any person's game will be hurt if a person don't play for 2 or 3 days in 3 or 4 times a year.
It is the simple fact that you can't play when you want to play. For some, it may be the only time they can play - hey, I've been away due to work several months myself. Edited by Shienvien

I would support if that extra line of normal eggs was added in rather then lose one of the lines we already have. tongue.gif Sometimes it takes awhile to wade through for something you want and I would like to have all my choices made available.

I would support if that extra line of normal eggs was added in rather then lose one of the lines we already have. tongue.gif Sometimes it takes awhile to wade through for something you want and I would like to have all my choices made available.

Oh, I think we can afford to lose a line. An extra line would be impossible on mobile devices, too.

This.

The wall have 5 lines. I will only support this propostition if an extra 6th line is added.

And right at this moment, just 10 hours after the event finished there isn't one single val egg in the AP.

ETA: people are talking like if it was easy to hunt a holiday egg in the AP during the event.

IT IS NOT.

Most of time there are only 3 to 5 holiday eggs in the AP in each refresh. The wall of holidays usually only happens in the last day and don't last too much. The wall is awesome, it gives you an opportunity to try and hunt good lineages that are much harder to get when there is only few holiday eggs in the AP.

I still don't think it's such a painful sacrifice for those who like to hunt in the AP to wait a day or 2 till the AP is back to the normal blockers. The holiday events are special occasions, they only happen 3 times a year and since everybody can hunt more than 2 past holliday eggs it's hard to hunt in the AP.

I think people should be more considerate with those who enjoy the festivities.

Edited by danicast

If I had suggested this on November 1st, 2014 no one would be denying the wall and the need. Had I suggested this on November 3rd, no one would be denying the need. One look at the AP would have proven that!

Oh how short people's memories are! How could you have forgotten the glorious Halloweenyness that was the Halloween 2014 Wall?

YES, this Valentine's wall was pathetic. The one this past Christmas and Halloween were NOT. Next year's Valentine's is probably going to be less pathetic. Next year's Christmas and Halloween walls are likely to be FANTASTICALLY huge!!!! Can't wait.

But for those who don't want to go over-board on Holidays, those weeks will be horrible. Pure, utter horror.

My own preference would be for whichever is easier to code, in truth. I strongly suspect that would be the extra line, but whichever is easiest.

Cheers!

C4.

Holiday wall is all gone... just the occasional egg. I did hope for a couple to freeze... but do think of those who have to use mobiles - an added row simply will not work for them.

I REALLY cannot see how this will harm anyone.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Aaand it's gone...

that wonderful Valentine wall of joy and love...until next year then, dear pinks...

Just quoting someone from the val thread who I think it sums up very well how those who enjoy events feel.

Now the Ap is back to normal.

If I had suggested this on November 1st, 2014 no one would be denying the wall and the need. Had I suggested this on November 3rd, no one would be denying the need. One look at the AP would have proven that!

Oh how short people's memories are! How could you have forgotten the glorious Halloweenyness that was the Halloween 2014 Wall?

YES, this Valentine's wall was pathetic. The one this past Christmas and Halloween were NOT. Next year's Valentine's is probably going to be less pathetic. Next year's Christmas and Halloween walls are likely to be FANTASTICALLY huge!!!! Can't wait.

But for those who don't want to go over-board on Holidays, those weeks will be horrible. Pure, utter horror.

My own preference would be for whichever is easier to code, in truth. I strongly suspect that would be the extra line, but whichever is easiest.

Cheers!

C4.

This. I remember the Halloween wall last year.. It felt like it went on forever. This wall, yes, was small. I highly doubt this next Halloween's will be.

So.. Erm.. You dont support this because you are indifferent to the idea? (I'm gonna go back and read again, but.. If you dont care because either way won't affect you.. Why are you saying no support?)

Edit - correct me if I missed something, but from what I see, the people saying no support just see no need. Right? Well, we could also say we dont need more holidays.. Ok, OK, I know, but you see my point? IMHO, its a little odd to argue against something just cause you dont see a need for it when others do.. If you don't care and it wont affect you? (I still am genuinely confused on this part, guys... Why don't you support?)

This would help for Halloween. I still fully support, theres only so much I can holiday hunt.. And I was getting bored last Halloween seeing full time Halloween eggs there for days.

Telling us to hunt the cave... Isn't quite fair, I think, as some of us much prefer the AP. That would be like telling a lineage builder - oh, just take a messy, it doesnt matter. To them, it does, just as the AP matters to some of us. Does that make sense?

Edited by EscapistLore