cyradis4

AP: 1 line of non-Holiday during Holidays

Ok, so 49 weeks out of the year the AP is filled with regular eggs. To me, that doesn't make much difference, that's still the vast majority of the time. I'd like holidays, all holidays, to stay what they're meant to be...a holiday. I get my fill looking at AP eggs all year long. For me, it's refreshing to see something different a measly 3 weeks out of the year. I like a break from all the endless commons I have to stare at 24/7 once and a blue moon.

I honestly don't see what the problem is. If I breed an egg and it doesn't get picked up and bites the dust, oh well. I can't imagine that anyone truly expects every single egg ever bred to be picked up and wanted...do they? If people are that concerned, why breed during a holiday in the first place when almost everyone is after more holiday eggs and will most likely ignore commons, etc? Unless I see a Gold, I'm personally not going to grab a single non holiday.

No. Please no. >_<

Personally? I have no problem with eggs biting the dust. Happens all the time. But some people do, apparently, have a problem with it. *shrug*

Mostly, my view is: Lets not favor any one play style over any other. Since adding 1 extra line would make several play styles happy without impacting the other play styles, I say lets do it.

Would I give non-Holiday eggs scroll space when there are Holidays to be had? Not a chance!

Cheers!

C4.

It's not a matter of people not wanting eggs. It's a matter of not being able to even see them. And apparently, there are quite a few people who do not share your play style.

This issue has not cropped up before Halloween 2014. Things like holiday limits are changing, so other things may need adaption, too. This is just one way - and an easy one at that - to fix a side effect of all these changes.

Agreed! Holiday eggs are flooding the AP, and while I love seeing walls of holidays to pick from (sometimes, anyway), other times it's nice to still have the option to pick up other eggs. Many of them have nice lineages and everything, and just aren't being seen.

As Holidays grow more and more prevalent, there's going to be more and more being bred and sitting in the AP. I think this is an easy solution to help make sure that all eggs are moving through the cave WITHOUT disrupting the holiday breedings and eggs that so many people do love.

Those suggesting this change are trying to come up with a simple solution that will not negatively impact those who enjoy collecting and breeding holidays. I mean, there are other ways that would allow the non-holiday eggs to be seen, of course! But nobody's suggesting to remove multi-clutching or reduce the breeding window or let them have refusals/failures to produce eggs or anything like that!

This is just about either reserving a line in the AP for non-holidays, or else adding an extra line for non-holidays when the AP is blocked with holidays. This shouldn't negatively impact the holiday hunting at all! smile.gif

Those suggesting this change are trying to come up with a simple solution that will not negatively impact those who enjoy collecting and breeding holidays.

A thread for non holidays for the holidays would be the most simple solution of all, imo.

I honestly don't want to see anyone's common, bred eggs during a holiday event. A thread made specifically for them would be, imo, ideal and satisfy everyone. If such a thread generated vast interest and non holidays were being snapped up left and right during holiday events, then add a line of non holiday eggs if there was that much interest. I just don't see a huge interest in them being the norm myself, and a specific thread for them would prove it one way or the other.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Worth repeating, imo.  A thread for only non holiday eggs during the holidays.  People could go in there and see everything that's available that's a non holiday since the only thing in there would be non holidays bred during the holidays.

This is an okay idea, but I'm gonna be honest and say that the thread will probably end up buried under all of the other trading/gifting threads that holidays and regular eggs can be posted in.

I know that if I'm going to pick up a non-holiday egg at all (which I probably will not do until after V-day), I'd rather do it from the AP than a forum thread. It's much easier to pick something up and throw it back if I don't want it than to peruse through a thread. And I know that I will certainly not be trading for any non-holiday eggs.

Edited by Jazeki

This is an okay idea, but I'm gonna be honest and say that the thread will probably end up buried under all of the other trading/gifting threads that holidays and regular eggs can be posted in.

Why would it? If there's a huge interest as some claim in non holiday eggs, that thread would be jumping with people in there trying to get them. People could simply put them on auto for anyone to grab, just like the AP, and if a large number of players wanted those eggs, that thread wouldn't get buried, it would stay on top. How could it get buried if people were in there grabbing/gifting all the non holiday eggs they say they want?

The only way such a thread wouldn't fly is if there wasn't as much interest as people claim there is. This, again, would prove that out. If all these non holiday eggs don't get grabbed in a thread where you can grab them on auto during a holiday, there's no need to have them in the AP sitting there ungrabbed.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Personally? I have no problem with eggs biting the dust. Happens all the time. But some people do, apparently, have a problem with it. *shrug*

Mostly, my view is: Lets not favor any one play style over any other. Since adding 1 extra line would make several play styles happy without impacting the other play styles, I say lets do it.

Would I give non-Holiday eggs scroll space when there are Holidays to be had? Not a chance!

Cheers!

C4.

BUT isn't the simple solution to 'no one is taking my non-holiday eggs over the holiday and I don't want them to die' to simply NOT breed those eggs dueing that time? For the most part I don't breed other stuff during the holiday breeding ( USUALLY too busy grabbing holidays and breeding them, myself, to do so). AS C4 said, i am not going to turn up my nose at Holidays in favor commons. IF there were a SHINY there that'd be different, but again, I suspect NOT many people are breeding shinies during holiday breeding.

How would a trading thread on the forums target the problem that eggs die in the AP that have been bred 2 days before holiday breeding even starts? rolleyes.gif

Also, a thread on the forums is not a solution for a problem on the site, since only a fraction of site users are registered on the forums.

Why would it? If there's a huge interest as some claim in non holiday eggs, that thread would be jumping with people in there trying to get them. People could simply put them on auto for anyone to grab, just like the AP, and if a large number of players wanted those eggs, that thread wouldn't get buried, it would stay on top. How could it get buried if people were in there grabbing all the non holiday eggs they say they want?

Actually, it probably wouldn't. People will more than likely post in any of the other threads that accepts both kinds of eggs (holiday and non-holiday) because it's easier than having to ferret out a non-holiday thread. And even if people post in that thread only, the ones that do accept both kinds of eggs will probably get more attention.Also, it takes more time to post (and uses teleports that people will probably be saving for holiday-related activities) than it does to pick from the AP.

I'm lazy. This thread's suggestion does more than help me, the lazy person, have a chance at ER eggs. The point is to do something about those eggs that are already in the AP. By the time that the eggs reach ER status, they have been sitting there for days and many people, even if they do hold an egg to give away, probably aren't going to hold it for that long during a holiday.

How would a trading thread on the forums target the problem that eggs die in the AP that have been bred 2 days before holiday breeding even starts?  rolleyes.gif

Start the thread a couple days before the holidays every year...this thread would be meant for eggs bred during the holidays and meant to be thrown in the AP. Instead of throwing them in the AP people throw them into the thread for people to grab, 2-3 days before an event starts. If people insist on breeding right before a holiday knowing holiday eggs are coming, a thread meant just for those people and those eggs would seem ideal to me. You breed your egg and it gets thrown in the thread. People can grab it immediately on auto a couple days before events start. It could be called 'Non Holiday Eggs for the Holiday!' And then we sit back and see just how many people do grab those eggs.

The point is to do something about those eggs that are already in the AP.

If there was a thread like this, they wouldn't go to the AP anymore. They'd go in the thread on Auto. Instant gratification.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I'm lazy. This thread's suggestion does more than help me, the lazy person, have a chance at ER eggs. The point is to do something about those eggs that are already in the AP. By the time that the eggs reach ER status, they have been sitting there for days and many people, even if they do hold an egg to give away, probably aren't going to hold it for that long during a holiday.

This. People who like common ER eggs could just grab and hatch them instead of letting them die in the backlog just because they can't be seen there. People with fast reflexes could grab the occasional shiny ER and get a shiny instant-hatchie. Eggs wouldn't die in masses. I can't really see the disadvantages. So the holiday wall will have 24 instead of 30 eggs. Is that really the only problem people have with this suggestion?

Edited by Ha-Ki

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. Yes, on day 3 ish there were normal eggs showing. By day 5, it was solid Holiday, and stayed that way well into day 8. Eggs *were* dieing, and people had the codes to prove it. On Halloween, it was far, far worse. That was a totally EPIC wall.

This Valentines I expect it to be much like this past Christmas. Next Christmas, however, I expect will be much closer to Halloween, with a huge Holiday wall that lasts for quite a while. Which I love! Don't get me wrong, I do totally love it!

But especially for future years, I think we do need 1 line of regular eggs. 

Cheers!

C4.

but you ignore my main point.

regardless of when they show up, the main reason why most non-holiday eggs die in the AP when holiday breeding season is open is because people are locking themselves (hatchie and egg limit lock) full of the Holiday dragons.

having one line or even 4 lines of non-holiday eggs in the AP during the holiday breeding season wont change that. majority (excluding the rares that go quickly anyways in the AP) will still die do to not being picked up until after the Holiday eggs stop dropping in the AP.

edit - i'm not against the idea, i just dont see where it will solve the issue.

Edited by Red2111

A thread for non holidays for the holidays would be the most simple solution of all, imo.

I honestly don't want to see anyone's common, bred eggs during a holiday event. A thread made specifically for them would be, imo, ideal and satisfy everyone. If such a thread generated vast interest and non holidays were being snapped up left and right during holiday events, then add a line of non holiday eggs if there was that much interest. I just don't see a huge interest in them being the norm myself, and a specific thread for them would prove it one way or the other.

It would do nothing to the vast majority of players, even if the thread doesn't get buried like the others suggested.

A small portion of the DC playerbase uses the forum, and of the forum userbase only a portion of them do trading. A thread in the trade section of this forum would be way too little.

Its success or failure would also prove nothing whatsoever for the same reason.

And outside of holiday craziness, there's no dying of eggs on the AP anyway - unless they do so from sickness.

THAT is the bit I am disagreeing with. They can and do die. I even followed one of mine that autod and I had hoped to get back - and it died before it hit the AP - there were just so many eggs they were all still at 5-6 days when it died. I know of others.

And Sock said they die, too.

And if holidays were mixed on (which I agree, dragongods forbid !) - they would be at risk too, as I am SURE people would mass breed to make sure of it.

Unless people desperately want to massbreed - why not just offer pretty non-holiday eggs up in the departures thread rather than APing then anyway?

That said - I am FINE with a single line of non holidays. Just so long as there is a nice wall to pick and choose from xd.png

A thread for non holiday trades does not change the fact that some people will want to hunt incuhatchable AP eggs while there is a wall of holiday eggs happening in the AP.

We're not talking about wanting to trade non holidays, we're talking about hunting the AP during holiday times when AP eggs tend to be at their lowest due to the fact that most users are busy trying to get all the holiday babies.

Yes users can hunt the AP any time of the Year as well as cave hunt any time of the year. But this is one of the few times of the year where AP eggs get ignored and they reach that perfect time to incuhatch them. No needing to wait any extra hours, just grab, incubate, hatch. Boom. A few minutes.

Its fun to AP hunt during that time and when there is a wall of eggs its not possible, especially if it lasts for hours x.x So yeah, one line out of the AP isnt gonna kill anyone if this is added.

but you ignore my main point.

regardless of when they show up, the main reason why most non-holiday eggs die in the AP when holiday breeding season is open is because people are locking themselves (hatchie and egg limit lock) full of the Holiday dragons.

having one line or even 4 lines of non-holiday eggs in the AP during the holiday breeding season wont change that.  majority (excluding the rares that go quickly anyways in the AP) will still die do to not being picked up until after the Holiday eggs stop dropping in the AP.

edit - i'm not against the idea, i just dont see where it will solve the issue.

I'm not ignoring your main point: I refuted it.

The reason people aren't catching the eggs before they die is because the eggs are not showing up to be grabbed.

By the time day 5 rolled around, the eggs in the backlog were nearly ER. That means they had 4 days left. And then they were hidden for over 4 days behind a wall of Holidays. They were running out of time. When the Holiday wall finally cleared at the end of Day 8 (I was watching it out of curiosity), the normal eggs behind it had less than an hour. That means there were eggs dieing in the backlog. Granted, given the timing, it probably wasn't a huge amount this past Christmas.

And remember: that extra day to make them 4 days? Is not added until the first time they show up in the AP. So those right behind eggs that were showing at 4 days when the wall formed had 3 days left until they died. Then they were hidden for 4 days. So a day's worth of eggs died.

At Halloween, it was much, much worse.

Eggs dieing isn't a big deal, but there are people who want those eggs. So since making it so they can get access to them doesn't affect the Holiday catchers, why not?

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

A thread for trading non-holiday dragons would be fine for those who want to do that, I don't mind it as I'll be buisy looking through the holiday eggs in the ap to grab shinies, but a forum-thread dosen't help clear out several hundres of other 'ordinary' eggs who either go dangerously low time or die in the AP.

We saw how many eggs were begin bred last halloween and with the limit to holiday dragons lifted, the amount of eggs will grow bigger over time. Much bigger. Keep in mind each existing holiday dragon have a potential of breeding 4 eggs which means the amount of holiday eggs/dragons each year in the AP can quadrouple. More eggs = bigger wall = longer time to clear out = more eggies risk dying.

Just thought I'd add another note on that tongue.gif

Also; no mixing the eggies around.

Edited by Phenri

Eggs dieing isn't a big deal, but there are people who want those eggs. So since making it so they can get access to them doesn't affect the Holiday catchers, why not?

Cheers!

C4.

Pretty much this.

This, very much.

I'm surprised that this is even up for debate. This suggestion *hurts no one*. It doesn't mix holidays with regulars, it doesn't make holidays any harder to catch. It's one simple line for people who *want* regulars in the AP. Like me. I would love to do that during holidays. And I'm unsure why this is a bad thing.

Such a thread was attempted and DID get buried.

Also, I'd suspect that people keep their teleports reserved for holiday eggs. A line of AP doesn't need any Magis.

This, very much.

I'm surprised that this is even up for debate. This suggestion *hurts no one*. It doesn't mix holidays with regulars, it doesn't make holidays any harder to catch. It's one simple line for people who *want* regulars in the AP. Like me. I would love to do that during holidays. And I'm unsure why this is a bad thing.

That's because it ISN'T a bad thing ! IT even leaves more of the holidays free for people like ME, who sift them like mad. xd.png

Such a thread was attempted and DID get buried.

Also, I'd suspect that people keep their teleports reserved for holiday eggs. A line of AP doesn't need any Magis.

Those of us with 30+ magis don't worry about such things smile.gif

This, very much.

My thoughts exactly. I don't really see how this negatively affects any of the holiday hunting and what not. Its still a win win for everyone so I don't see the issue with this suggestion.

IT even leaves more of the holidays free for people like ME, who sift them like mad. xd.png.png

Well, when you put it that way... I didn't think about it like that. Maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all. lol

That's because it ISN'T a bad thing ! IT even leaves more of the holidays free for people like ME, who sift them like mad. xd.png

As MM said... I didn't honestly think of it in this light, either.

I'd also be sifting those holidays like mad, I admit... though I might try to pounce if I say something shiny appear. wink.gif

THAT is the bit I am disagreeing with. They can and do die. I even followed one of mine that autod and I had hoped to get back - and it died before it hit the AP - there were just so many eggs they were all still at 5-6 days when it died. I know of others.

And Sock said they die, too.

Erm ... you seem to mix up what I've been saying. Or you mean something else by "mixed" than I do.

Of COURSE, with the past 2 holiday seasons, regular eggs died behind the holiday wall because there was NO row for them.

There has been no mixing at all during those 2 holidays, just a wall of holidays and nothing else.

And if holidays were mixed on (which I agree, dragongods forbid !) - they would be at risk too, as I am SURE people would mass breed to make sure of it.
No, they would NOT. They would *all* be sorted by timer, just like the regular AP. The lower their timer, the further they get to the front - be they holiday or regular eggs. Whatever people can massbreed, at some point, the remaining holiday eggs would show up before them because their timer is lower - and people would snag them up.

What you are saying is not actually true for a *mixed* AP, it would be true if holiday eggs were hidden *behind* regular eggs - and that would be even more horrible than a mixed AP blink.gif