cyradis4

AP: 1 line of non-Holiday during Holidays

Dani, none of these suggestions ruin the holidays for people with slow connections, disabilities, or lineage goals. They have at least seven days to hunt the AP. It might be a little hard in the first few days due to the eggs just starting to drop, but as the breeding wears on, more options are available. They can also go to the forums for help if they have an account or get help from another DC player by some other means (for example users on other gaming/ web sites that frequent a DC-specific thread or if they have real-life friends/family that play with them).

The only "ruin" that is associated with this suggestion is the low-time eggs that die behind the more frequent and longer lasting holiday walls. And the eggs that die are not just commons.

I already explained, I thought I was clear. I'm very disappointed because basically you guys refuses to see the point of view of those who enjoy the festivities and don't have high end computers and high speed connections. You guys prefer to sacrifice the other players than to spend a couple of days without hunt caveblockers. Who is selfish?

(Just read back a bit and, what with wandering off for coffee and being called away by the critters, I've been thoroughly ninja.gif ed, lol, but posting anyway, in support of various points people have made.

(DC is such a great and unique site in large part because it does take into consideration the many members with slower systems and various disabilities, these necessarily forming a large proportion of its global player-base under current economic and other conditions.)

I'd like to make the point that reducing a Holiday line does reduce the numbers of specific sprites showing, especially affecting those of us trying to limit our greedy selves to one or two sprites of specific lines for lineages we can only access foundation material for briefly, once a year.

When only the same few messy as well as unsuitable-for-our-purposes sprite types we're looking for keep showing because repeatedly tossed back, the few new eggs coming into view are often already snapped up before we can check through to even see whether these are repeat codes or not - taking away that extra line really limits everyone but the fastest because fewer Holiday eggs of whatever type any person may specifically be looking for can appear at once - this year's lack of solid walls already frequently ending scrambles for certain types instantly.

Also, that Holiday walls stay only because:

people loading up on Holiday eggs fill up and have to wait for eggs to hatch before they can try looking for more of what they want/need

and because messy eggs which tend to get repeatedly tossed back since very few people want them (except perhaps for Freezing by those who do that) are bred, probably in great part by accident, since we still can't access lineage pages from the breeding pages and horrible mistakes are too-often made and clutter up the Abandoned Page, slowing/preventing the advent of other eggs.

The un-messy eggs ARE wanted, and many members DO want to load up as much as possible in the brief period that such collection is available every year.

But those working on specific lineages have more specific needs, and 'just any sprite/line' won't do for a lot of people.

I'm not saying that I don't sympathize with those sometimes having difficulty hunting non-Holidays on Holidays - we all used to be unable to hunt at these times and many of us got pretty bored sometimes with the truly massive Holiday walls before TJ enabled us to collect bred Holidays.

Whereas now, of course, many are praying that the Holiday walls build and remain until after they unlock the next time, so that this year, they can, perhaps, finally find the dragons they need/want.

I'm not sure what form of compromise would work best while least spoiling the Holidays for anyone...

But there are also other factors to be considered as well - including the possibility that TJ may let us have that additional Time-Based egg-slot (with the accompanying 3 additional hatchy-spaces) he Suggested some time back.

We don't know what he may have planned at any point prior to the next Holiday.

Is the problem with an additional line on mobiles one of space?

Perhaps the alternate biome switch might be a better solution to try for, if the coding and potential lag isn't too big a pain?

Another thing - is this something essential enough that people would rather trade off whatever else TJ might have done instead to achieve this?

I already explained, I thought I was clear. I'm very disappointed because basically you guys refuses to see the point of view of those who enjoy the festivities and don't have high end computers and high speed connections. You guys prefer to sacrifice the other players than to spend a couple of days without hunt caveblockers. Who is selfish?

Danicast, I participated in one of the other Holiday Events on an old 3g phone connection. I had no trouble, especially once the wall formed.

The reason you had trouble THIS Valentine's is that the wall never formed. And it didn't do that because not enough people bred their Valentine's, period. I, personally, hardly ever hunted the AP this Valentines because almost all the time there were only a couple of eggs. So I focused on my lineages and trading for more breds.

At Christmass, we had days of a wall. It lasted at least 2 days past Christmas! At Halloween, the wall formed earlier and lasted longer.

Did you have a similar issue this past Halloween?

Cheers!

C4.

Danicast, I participated in one of the other Holiday Events on an old 3g phone connection. I had no trouble, especially once the wall formed.

The reason you had trouble THIS Valentine's is that the wall never formed. And it didn't do that because not enough people bred their Valentine's, period. I, personally, hardly ever hunted the AP this Valentines because almost all the time there were only a couple of eggs. So I focused on my lineages and trading for more breds.

At Christmass, we had days of a wall. It lasted at least 2 days past Christmas! At Halloween, the wall formed earlier and lasted longer.

Did you have a similar issue this past Halloween?

Cheers!

C4.

I was working in halloween, I had no time to hunt the AP, I only grabbed the new release and few eggs that friends gave to me. Same happened in Christmas, I only got some few eggs from friends and the new release. So I don't know if the wall is better in these occasions, I hope so. It was hard to hunt the val eggs, I'm glad I managed to do it because I really wanted those dragons and I hope the walls grow stronger in the next events, because they only happen a few days every year. For the first time I could hunt my own dragons and don't depend of my friends generosity and for someone with so many problems as I am, this is a victory. DC is not an easy game for me.

Do you know what I hunt on a lot of the time during holidays? My phone. Do you know that my computer has crappy,cheap Internet that cuts in and out every night and I still managed to get holiday eggs because I made arrangements/plans before the holiday festivities began.

I also have no problem helping disadvantaged/new players get their holiday eggs every year by just giving away holiday offspring.

I'm not sacrificing anyone's play style or being selfish. I'm just pointing out that the point of this suggestion is not to take away holidays from anyone, but to allow users access to non-holiday eggs.

Viable suggestions like an additional, separate cave or adding two lines of non-holiday eggs to the AP may pose a problem for people who play exclusively on mobile devices.

Viable suggestions like an additional, separate cave or adding two lines of non-holiday eggs to the AP may pose a problem for people who play exclusively on mobile devices.

Actually I think a separate cave is the best suggestion so far. It's just one link to click on computers or mobile, it's not so hard to do it.

@Jazeki: But you can only make plans if either you've got the ability to swap holiday dragons/breedings or have some valuable stuff to trade in for holidays. If danicast's join date on the forums is any indication, she hasn't had the chance to accumulate old (=valuable) holiday dragons, nor does she have the ability to hunt for rares. Which means, essentially, that she cannot make these arrangements you're talking about.

@Jazeki: But you can only make plans if either you've got the ability to swap holiday dragons/breedings or have some valuable stuff to trade in for holidays. If danicast's join date on the forums is any indication, she hasn't had the chance to accumulate old (=valuable) holiday dragons, nor does she have the ability to hunt for rares. Which means, essentially, that she cannot make these arrangements you're talking about.

Yes.

I do see dani's point, though unfortunately I can even more see the points others are making. I used to play on an incredibly bad dialup connection - not just slow, it routinely dropped out every 5 minutes or so. (If you think I am making that up - in the end I got 6 months FREE phone service while they tried to figure out what was wrong ! they failed to do so, but I now have a radio connection instead.)

But dani - I tell you one thing - if you PM me with a list of what you need, as far as I can, I will try and breed for you - and so will several of my friends. That's what some of us already do for others with similar problems.

I can't see a separate AP working, though...

Edited by fuzzbucket

I was working in halloween, I had no time to hunt the AP, I only grabbed the new release and few eggs that friends gave to me. Same happened in Christmas, I only got some few eggs from friends and the new release. So I don't know if the wall is better in these occasions, I hope so. It was hard to hunt the val eggs, I'm glad I managed to do it because I really wanted those dragons and I hope the walls grow stronger in the next events, because they only happen a few days every year. For the first time I could hunt my own dragons and don't depend of my friends generosity and for someone with so many problems as I am, this is a victory. DC is not an easy game for me.

Like I said, even this Valentine's with a super fast connection and good reflexes, I wasn't having a great deal of success which is why I focused so much on lineages I could breed / bloodswap, and only got a couple new lines. This suggestion would, again, not have changed that about this season. Even during the 1 day wall, all it would have done was allow those who didn't want Valentines something else to pick up.

Trust me, if you were able to catch eggs from the AP on the 14th, come Halloween it'll be a cakewalk. And if it isn't and you have trouble getting 2nd gens? if you need Shadow Walkers, Cavern Lurkers, Graves, or Desipises, just PM me. I have 8 Shadow Walkers and 20+ of the other three (yes I went way over-board with trading).

During Halloween, I breed most things for free, because I have so many of them that there is no premium on the 2nd gens. This past Christmas season also had good sized wall toward the end and it lasted into the 27th, if memory serves.

I have no concrete reason why this Valentine's wall never formed, the only guess I can give is that it really is just that less a popular Holiday. A lot of people are heartily sick of every dragon but Heartseeker being mostly pink. There's a lot more variety in color of Halloween and Christmas dragons.

Cheers!

C4.

I thank you all the offers but you guys are missing the point: the great fun that I have in playing this game is hunting dragons, in the cave mostly and in the AP during the events. I'm not quite a collector, the only type of dragon that I have a massive ammount (for my personal standards) are the shimmers, that I have 80 of all types. I have about 8 to 20 of each dragon species and not all species. Some dragons are more appealing than others to me. But the thrill is to hunt, I'll never forget the day that I caught my first brine CB in the cave, I felt awesome (and I gave the brine to my best friend because I love them). This valentine was really satisfying for me because I could hunt by myself the dragons that I wanted. I would like to be able to keep hunting what I like even with an old computer and a bad connection, special in the events because I only hunt dragons in events and releases, I don't play much the rest of the year.

I'm not "refusing" to see your point, I don't see a point at all. How is keeping four lines (4x6=24) of Holiday eggs going to harm your playstyle? It removes six Holidays (5x6-4x6=6), leaving 24 Holidays behind. And this only happens when there's a Wall.

fuzzbucket offered to breed for you, so there exists a way for you to obtain desired eggs. Heck, the last two Valentines I participated in, there were tons of people in the IRC DC chat who were willing to breed CB and other notables for free (got a lovely 2nd Gen Heartseeker that way for a stairstep).

There does not exist a workaround for people who want to hunt the AP for random eggs because trade/breeding threads center around rarer/high-demand eggs.

There is absolutely no workaround that would solve the "dead eggs" problem. And this is what irritates me about the "against" people; they will not contribute to a feasable method.

I don't have quotes, but TJ has said that coding a separate cave would be difficult.

I don't myself have high speed connection, or even a fancy computer. It took me forever to catch eggs at the beginning of the Holiday because it took so long for the images to load. And even then I was tossing many back because they were ugly lineaged (though, for my last batch, I purposely kept messy lineages to freeze). Due to the delay, my eggs will be able to hatch barely 4 hours before the new CB vanishes entirely (haven't claimed my two yet), and I am risking it in order to grab as many Valentines as possible.

We (those in support) have modified our suggestions to accommodate the "no support" and "against" people who have given valid reasons for their opinion - re-purposing the bottom line rather than adding a line (mobile), keeping that line at the bottom (Holiday eggs are the main focus and should be prominent during that time), keeping the two separated (prior years' request to make it easier to nab Holidays), etc.

I'm not "refusing" to see your point, I don't see a point at all. How is keeping four lines (4x6=24) of Holiday eggs going to harm your playstyle? It removes six Holidays (5x6-4x6=6), leaving 24 Holidays behind. And this only happens when there's a Wall.

fuzzbucket offered to breed for you, so there exists a way for you to obtain desired eggs. Heck, the last two Valentines I participated in, there were tons of people in the IRC DC chat who were willing to breed CB and other notables for free (got a lovely 2nd Gen Heartseeker that way for a stairstep).

There does not exist a workaround for people who want to hunt the AP for random eggs because trade/breeding threads center around rarer/high-demand eggs.

There is absolutely no workaround that would solve the "dead eggs" problem. And this is what irritates me about the "against" people; they will not contribute to a feasable method.

I don't have quotes, but TJ has said that coding a separate cave would be difficult.

I don't myself have high speed connection, or even a fancy computer. It took me forever to catch eggs at the beginning of the Holiday because it took so long for the images to load. And even then I was tossing many back because they were ugly lineaged (though, for my last batch, I purposely kept messy lineages to freeze). Due to the delay, my eggs will be able to hatch barely 4 hours before the new CB vanishes entirely (haven't claimed my two yet), and I am risking it in order to grab as many Valentines as possible.

We (those in support) have modified our suggestions to accommodate the "no support" and "against" people who have given valid reasons for their opinion - re-purposing the bottom line rather than adding a line (mobile), keeping that line at the bottom (Holiday eggs are the main focus and should be prominent during that time), keeping the two separated (prior years' request to make it easier to nab Holidays), etc.

I don't want people breeding for me, I have several friends who offered this before.

I want to hunt myself and I want that the AP during the holidays continue as it is because it allows me to do what I love most that is hunting despise my bad conditions to hunt.

As I said I think the best suggestion is to create a second Ap just for those who don't want to participate in festivities. This will make everybody happy.

Edited by danicast

There is a point for her - dani has a physical problem, not just a connection one.

In that, her position is rather different from those of us who are just arguing the toss. And she likes to hunt her own stuff. Don't blame her for that - so do I. The wall is a huge help to her specifically, as she can hit almost anything in it - with that extra row she has less space to work in. We are not in that unfortunate position. We are lucky.

I still reluctantly - because of dani and anyone else who may be in her position, support leaving one line of the five for regular eggs, rather than adding one and making play on mobile devices impossible.

There is a point for her - dani has a physical problem, not just a connection one.

In that, her position is rather different from those of us who are just arguing the toss. And she likes to hunt her own stuff. Don't blame her for that - so do I. The wall is a huge help to her specifically, as she can hit almost anything in it - with that extra row she has less space to work in. We are not in that unfortunate position. We are lucky.

I still reluctantly - because of dani and anyone else who may be in her position, support leaving one line of the five for regular eggs, rather than adding one and making play on mobile devices impossible.

Thank you.

ETA: Play in mobile is impossible to me, I tried once. I can't grab anything because my fingers don't cooperate in that small screen. (I barely can type in mobile, ask my best friend, they are the most patient person in this world because we keep chating in whatsapp and I'm really really slow typing)

Edited by danicast

I was referring to the plans/arrangements I made to get my dragons (having space, hunting at certain times). I only traded for four eggs this year. The rest of my arrangements involved working around gifting out offspring and catching my own eggs when I had space.

And there are quite a few members who give away their dragons for free (myself included), so having rares or swaps available to get the eggs that are wanted aren't always necessary.

Dani has indicated that she wants to hunt herself, so the options of getting dragons by some other means are not useful to her.

Regardless of how I or anyone else gets their holiday eggs, there should still be a way to deal with the low time eggs. And as the single line of non-holiday eggs is most accommodating, that is the one I support.

Ah, I get it now. I saw

...the point of view of those who enjoy the festivities and don't have high end computers and high speed connections.

and leaped to the assumption that it was an "I have an old computer and slow internet" issue.

But, along the same line, "hunt her own stuff", that's what people who want a line of non-Holiday eggs desire, since they are only able to breed when there is both an AP Wall and limited-release blocking the Biomes. And so I have been trying to summarize all stated opinions (assuming I can understand them, a problem in this case, sorry) and see if I can propose a solution that would satisfy everyone.

As such, a solution that would satisfy Dani and those of us arguing for it would be to add a line but that leaves out the mobile users, while satisfying both the computer- and mobile-using supporters leaves out players like Dani.

Regardless of how I or anyone else gets their holiday eggs, there should still be a way to deal with the low time eggs. And as the single line of non-holiday eggs is most accommodating, that is the one I support.

This is the issue that is a recurring theme in my posts to this thread - eggs are dying that would otherwise be highly desirable (Incuhatching freeze fodder). This suggestion seems to be the best so far, because it does not involve coding for a whole new cave, opens the door for people to continue with their preferred playstyle that are otherwise barred, and does the least amount of damage to the least number of playstyles (as far as other suggestions have gone).

Are you seeing what I'm getting at here?

Did I miss something? What is the best suggestion in your opinion?

I have another argument against the "replace one line with commons": one line means 6 eggs. If we have another wall of mass breeding of one kind like that one that appeared during the valentine's (picture here: https://i.imgur.com/gHpD40q.png (I took this screenshot) then one line will be useless and people won't be able to get all the other eggs in the backlog. It will be like the old days in the cave when the cave was blocked because nobody wanted those eggs.

I still think that the alternative to have an AP with commons only, separated from the holiday eggs is the best alternative.

Edited by danicast

I'm somewhat confused. The Holidays are only breedable 3 weeks a year, if we include all holidays-- why is it such a big deal if the holidays take up the AP for that time? The only time there seemed to be a wall this time was on the 14th (although obviously I have not been around for other holidays so I can assume that could be the exception) but still, I mean... DC is a slow paced game. Why would it be so bad for holiday eggs to take up the AP for a little while?

(Why not just have the holiday dragons be a little less fertile? I mean they're kicking out masses of eggs. Why not limit it to like 3 a clutch or something...)

The Holidays are only breedable 3 weeks a year, if we include all holidays-- why is it such a big deal if the holidays take up the AP for that time?

Because some people are bored during holidays and all those common eggs forced to languish behind the holiday walls are dying.

Dani, those eggs are not undesirable. I was picking up eggs and hatching them and giving them away in the departure thread. And then I couldn't pick them up because I was locked. Not because I didn't want them. The suggestion of this thread is one line of non-holiday eggs, not one line of commons. Commons just happen to be most prevalent. So, even if there was a separate cave of just low time commons, then all of the other low time eggs would just be left to die behind the walls.

Yerica, when you experience the other [more popular] holidays of Halloween and Christmas, you will probably see the extent of what holiday walls can do. Last year, holidays blocked up the cave for days and eggs behind those walls died.

Holiday dragons can each only breed once a year and new CB holidays are only available once a year for a very limited time. The eggs breed prolifically because they are trying to accommodate for a very small population of each breed. If their fertility was tinkered with, it would create a scarcity problem.

... I have no concrete reason why this Valentine's wall never formed, the only guess I can give is that it really is just that less a popular Holiday. A lot of people are heartily sick of every dragon but Heartseeker being mostly pink. There's a lot more variety in color of Halloween and Christmas dragons.

Cheers!

C4.

Hi, C4! smile.gif

Regarding this year's bred Valentine shortage, one factor might be a lack of suitable mates for at least some of us to have bred a number of last year's dragons.

I missed out on breeding I think about a dozen of mine for reasons including not having suitable 2nd gen Vals to make proper checkers, and having rather a lot of lines depending on Silver mates being produced on a scroll that don't wanna, plus difficulty blood-swapping for appropriate unrelated lines.

And I'm really not much more forward on what I needed for the line I most wanted to work on...

But if by any chance we get that Time Based Egg Slot TJ suggested, that would really help.

Then again, I had an incoming egg and breeding to do and wound up with 17 new Valentine dragons in total, 15 bred, several of them from some of my own breedings, so I managed to collect fewer from the AP than I might otherwise.

I know not everyone managed to come up with suitable mates for their Vals this year, so there should be some increase next year.

But I should think that the 7-day bred Holiday Walls are a thing of the past now.

Edit: and I must say that I love the ER and Incuhatchables in the AP following Holidays - stuffed myself silly on them through the day, having relatively few hatchies and 2 egg slots open, and by the time I was hatchy-locked, (have 10 still on my scroll) the last egg I picked up was no longer incuhatchable, being at 5D 9H, but which was OK because I was going to bed soon anyway.

They do go fast, once people have room after the Holidays. blink.gif

But the AP was accessible through most of the time I spent in there, which was forever (feels like it anyway, lol,) and often formed much, most or even all of the AP during much of the breeding week.

But because so many people want Holidays during this period, and want to save room for this brief chance at them, the AP still went ER by the end...

What does this indicate regarding the number of people willing to to sacrifice space to non-ER and non-Incuhatchable eggs during Holiday breeding when they can only hunt for the breds in the AP for a week every year?

If there continues to be access to non-Holidays through much of the Holiday breeding period, would it be feasible to have a line at bottom auto-reserved for regular AP use use only if a solid wall forms for more than... say, 10 minutes?

Might that split the difference between the times when there are only brief flashes of Holiday eggs and when only brief flashes of regular AP eggs?

Edited by Syphoneira

After paying very close attention to the AP during this holiday release, I have come to the conclusion that this idea is no longer necessary.

I believe that removing the 2 per scroll limit, and allowing everyone to grab as many bred v'days as wanted made all the difference. I was hunting the AP for most of this release and on very, very few occasions did I see a solid wall of v'day eggs. On many occasions there were no v'day eggs in the AP at all, which I found remarkable.

I believe now that the AP problem is solved, we should discuss the need for 3 solid days of new v'days in the cave. I think instead that it should be 1 day or 24hrs of new v'day eggs, then gradually reintroduce normal eggs. The new v'day egg should still be in the majority, but after the first day I would like to start seeing normal eggs again.

After paying very close attention to the AP during this holiday release, I have come to the conclusion that this idea is no longer necessary.

I believe that removing the 2 per scroll limit, and allowing everyone to grab as many bred v'days as wanted made all the difference. I was hunting the AP for most of this release and on very, very few occasions did I see a solid wall of v'day eggs. On many occasions there were no v'day eggs in the AP at all, which I found remarkable.

I believe now that the AP problem is solved, we should discuss the need for 3 solid days of new v'days in the cave. I think instead that it should be 1 day or 24hrs of new v'day eggs, then gradually reintroduce normal eggs. The new v'day egg should still be in the majority, but after the first day I would like to start seeing normal eggs again.

Cinnamin Draconna, did you participate in the 2014 Halloween event? And 2014 Christmas event?

Cheers!

C4.

We were able to grab as many as we wanted at Christmas. I thought the wall was wonderful. xd.png If they were mixed in like any other eggs, as you suggest, people like dani would be SEVERELY disadvantaged. It's not as if she can catch up on another day - the eggs aren't around for that long.

I don't think the HOLIDAY AP "problem" is solved at all. I do think a single line of regular eggs would go a long way towards doing that, though.

We were able to grab as many as we wanted at Christmas. I thought the wall was wonderful. xd.png If they were mixed in like any other eggs, as you suggest, people like dani would be SEVERELY disadvantaged. It's not as if she can catch up on another day - the eggs aren't around for that long.

I don't think the HOLIDAY AP "problem" is solved at all. I do think a single line of regular eggs would go a long way towards doing that, though.

Exactly. There were still people who missed out on new Valentine's Day eggs even with the 3-day drop. It's important to remember that many people cannot make it online during the actual holiday, so it is ideal to have the eggs drop solidly for three days to accommodate people with different schedules and time zones.

As people have noted, Valentine's seems to be the least popular holiday to work with and there are fewer dragon breeds available. There are only seven single-gender Valentine's breeds available as opposed to eight Christmas breeds (with one being able to produce both male and female) and six Halloween breeds that have "unlimited" availability in both genders from the moment they drop in the cave.