ShadowRift

Trade/Gift Adults or Frozen Things

I'm confused as to how this, "This will break the game! People will be able to get adults without having to grab eggs!" logic works.

What are they going to trade for the adults in the first place if they aren't grabbing eggs?

Furthermore, plenty of other sites that involve catching and raising eggs have perfectly functioning trade systems that allow the trade of all stages of the creatures in question. What's so special about DC that the game would fall apart if something similar were implemented?

I'm not entirely sure but from what i've noticed a lot of those games have a money system involved in them too.

Edited by QAndais

I'm against this. If it was a one time thing or once a year (something very infrequent) then I might be ok with it, but even then it would be incredibly messy and create a lot of drama, I think.

The point of the game is to raise dragons, which is mainly why I'm against this. And I just can't see how it would work without a lot of people getting really worked up over it. It's a can of worms I think we'd be better off not opening.

The point of the game is to raise dragons, which is mainly why I'm against this. And I just can't see how it would work without a lot of people getting really worked up over it. It's a can of worms I think we'd be better off not opening.

^this^ I spend a lot of (too much) time taking care of my growing things. Many just wouldn't put the effort in that is supposed to be part of the game - the making sure they get the views and don't get sick, if they could just collect adults from people getting rid.

There is a fair sized contingent here who think that the introduction of FAN sites made the game too easy. This would make that FAR worse.

I wondered if there was a way we could implement this, I have some dragons I no longer want. But I don't feel right abandoning them either.

I like the idea in theory, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice? I mean, even assuming that things that can't be traded as hatchlings still can't be traded as adults, there would be probably be a pretty huge/sudden influx of dragons that can no longer be obtained normally (i.e., CB holidays, discontinueds, etc.) going for obscene prices...

If that could be mitigated I'd be okay with it, though. Just... Not sure how.

I didn't think of it that way, maybe restrictions on certain dragons?

Maybe if you need a different dragon to trade adults -perhaps an Imperial Magi - and they had a long cooldown time? Rares could possibly mean a longer cooldown, or there could bea limit to how many times you could trade adults in a month.

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before, and just ... no. We definitely don't need this. You want rid of your adults? Just release them or kill them. They're only pixels.

Isn't it game-breaking? DC is about RAISING dragons from eggs, after all <.< It's good as it is, thank you very much.

Probably with a scroll lock for the obvious like adult holidays, same as the GoNs are.

It's not always that a person doesn't want them. I'd gotten intended pairs for certain dragons that aren't easy to replace and they reject, which leaves me with a useless pairing I likely couldn't get again and often wish I could send them off to other scrolls to try their luck.

Isn't it game-breaking? DC is about RAISING dragons from eggs, after all <.< It's good as it is, thank you very much.

THIS, very much.

This is, I believe, a very game-breaking idea. And yes it's been suggested before. This entire game, no matter if you are a breeder or lineage-maker or cave-hunter or what, the CORE of this game is raising dragons. Raising them.

Being able to just poof a fully grown dragon onto your scroll, no raising or taking care of necessary, goes against the entire concept of this game.

Personally I actually don't see what could be wrong with trading adults (that much, anyway). But idk how it would really work, that is, for the game. Most sites that let you trade adult creatures usually don't have the same hatching/growing system that DC does. DC is rather unique, imo, in that regard, and if we trade adults it just goes beyond that.

If it could be implemented successfully somehow, I don't think I'd mind, though!

Personally I actually don't see what could be wrong with trading adults (that much, anyway).

Agreed.

I don't need this option and probably won't use it but I don't think people are going to stop breeding, catching and raising dragons if it is introduced. After all if you trade for a dragon you have to offer something in a swap smile.gif

The site is about raising dragons, not trading adults. Adults are much more set in their ways and are prone to resist changes while hatchlings adapt easily to new surroundings/owners.

Also, what if your scroll gets hit by a rare hack attack and the thief goes and steals your hard earned dragons?

Edited by Dolphinsong

THIS, very much.

This is, I believe, a very game-breaking idea. And yes it's been suggested before. This entire game, no matter if you are a breeder or lineage-maker or cave-hunter or what, the CORE of this game is raising dragons. Raising them.

Being able to just poof a fully grown dragon onto your scroll, no raising or taking care of necessary, goes against the entire concept of this game.

This. And as I have been being viewbombed today - the idea of a hacker getting into my scroll and going for the adults is just - NO-ish !

We really don't need this.

Trading adults works perfectly well on other games, and there is no reason it wouldn't work here either. Ignoring all the stupid RP reasons against it, it's just a matter of tweaking the code a bit. Trading is already coded in, so it's not like TJ would need to invent something.. just a little tweak.

However, it would be a good idea to 'scroll lock' things like the Holiday Limited Edition caveborns and probably Zombie dragons (which I don't think can be traded anyway). Neglected eggs and hatchlings are tradeable, so I don't see any reason why adults shouldn't be either. The code is already available due to the GoNs, so it would just need to be applied to any other types as needed.

In general tho, I see no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to trade adults. Change can be good, and this would be something I would enjoy. Maybe it would make things more interesting and keep both new and old players active.

As someone who usually endorses new suggestions, I'm kind of uncomfortable with this one. It's not that I think it would never work, or that it doesn't fit with the game... I just am uncomfortable with the game changing from the faster-paced raising and trading of growing dragons to trading ANY dragon.

If a new system were to be implemented, I'd certainly join in and try to get my mitts on a couple of retired breeds and some valuable CB Holidays. I'm more opposed to there being a restriction against trading only certain breeds since values are player-driven rather than game-driven, but the suggestion would probably work better all around if those restrictions were put in place.

So... I don't know. I guess I don't feel strongly enough about it to try to shout down the idea. Like Cinnamin Draconna said, change CAN be good and that's usually my rallying cry in the suggestion threads anyway. In the end, I basically don't care for the idea, but upon thinking it over I realize it's more because of my personal preference, not for any practical or RP reason.

The biggest problem I see with trading adults is the same problem plaguing trades right now, only with no time constraint posed by hatchlings growing up. While I'm sure there would be trades for common dragons and particularly nice lineages, the largest part of requests for adults would be the uber rares. You'd have people offering arms, legs and souls for CB bright pinks, frills... prizes. I don't know if spriter alts would retain their unique coloration if traded, but I can totally see some yahoo begging for one. The more unique and rare a dragon, the more people would pester the owners to trade it to them. I don't see that as a good thing for the DC trading economy.

There are reasons why we don't want adults to be traded. Yes a lot of the reasons are RP based but TJ has this lovely world pictured it doesn't make sense to keep some RP elements.

How would you like it if your parents suddenly decide to trade you for some other kid? I sure as heck wouldn't tolerate it! I doubt adult dragons would feel the same.

To my knowledge, its the scroll that's coded for the spriter alts, not the dragons themselves.

Edited by Dolphinsong

DS, if that were true then all my Shadow Walkers would be alts, and not just some of them. The ones that were on my scroll when TJ changed them are alts. The rest are not.

One of the biggest problems with adult-trading is that ever since trading-by-exploit (ie. AP trading) was discovered, well before trading was made an official part of the game, you can only trade growing things and this still applies now.

In other words, you are basically shaking the foundation of trading mechanics at the very least, and potentially the foundation of the entire game (since transferral of adults from one scroll to another has never been possible sans TJ intervention). Enabling adult trade is more than just switching it on, and I'm not talking about coding, but the balancing and potential side-effects of it.

Additionally, the security issues mentioned above makes me feel that unless an (optional) Steam Guard-like double-confirmation log in system is implemented, I strongly oppose this suggestion on the ground that it makes the potential damage of a security breach much higher than it is right now.

Edited by CNR4806

Trading adults works perfectly well on other games, and there is no reason it wouldn't work here either. Ignoring all the stupid RP reasons against it, it's just a matter of tweaking the code a bit. Trading is already coded in, so it's not like TJ would need to invent something.. just a little tweak.

However, it would be a good idea to 'scroll lock' things like the Holiday Limited Edition caveborns and probably Zombie dragons (which I don't think can be traded anyway). Neglected eggs and hatchlings are tradeable, so I don't see any reason why adults shouldn't be either. The code is already available due to the GoNs, so it would just need to be applied to any other types as needed.

In general tho, I see no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to trade adults. Change can be good, and this would be something I would enjoy. Maybe it would make things more interesting and keep both new and old players active.

So ^this^ is why I think it wouldn't be too outrageous an idea...

The biggest problem I see with trading adults is the same problem plaguing trades right now, only with no time constraint posed by hatchlings growing up. While I'm sure there would be trades for common dragons and particularly nice lineages, the largest part of requests for adults would be the uber rares. You'd have people offering arms, legs and souls for CB bright pinks, frills... prizes. I don't know if spriter alts would retain their unique coloration if traded, but I can totally see some yahoo begging for one. The more unique and rare a dragon, the more people would pester the owners to trade it to them. I don't see that as a good thing for the DC trading economy.

...and ^this^ is exactly why I feel like it won't work unless we figure out some kind of balance. I feel like retired dragons like Frills and BPs would be okay to trade, but CB holidays, prizes, and spriter alts are not okay to trade, because of the holiday/gift/specialness of them as opposed to later bred things (if that makes sense). Also GoNs but they're already untradeable as eggs and hatchlings.

More things would probably need to be done, but I think those would be good restrictions (to me). I wouldn't mind if Frills and BPs are also excluded, but personally I don't think they need to be, as that would be the only way to obtain any at this current time.

Also yes, I'm not sure what kinds of security measures there would need to be. Seems a little risky, but then again with so many other sites having something like this, I dunno why it would be a reason against the suggestion.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I don't support this suggestion for several reasons, one of which is that DC is based on raising dragons and giving people the possibility to get adults right away ruins that concept in my book.

Apart from that, such a feature can be a huge extra cause for harassment in case of CB Holidays, CB Discontinued dragons, CB Prizes, CB Metals et cetera. Even if some restrictions are implemented, there is still enough rare stuff players tend to be after. I don't want yet another reason to hide my scroll, people PM me about growing things as is and I get more than enough view-bombing as is - I'm sure a lot of other traders can relate.

It has always been a fact on DC that, if a dragon is an adult, it's off limits, it's locked to the scroll, it isn't going anywhere apart from the wilderness, so for other people it's useless to try to come up with ways to obtain it, it's only the possible future offsprings that may be tradeable.

Removing that limit may make trading a lot more complicated. I mean, let's imagine person A has 3 x [dragon 1] up for trade, and wants a valuable and cool [dragon 2] in exchange. Person B who has [dragon 2] looks at person A's scroll and sees that apart from those growing [dragon 1]'s they have fifteen more [dragon 1]'s as adults. And the trader thinks to themselves that it's just so unfair of person A to be offering only three when they have a whole bunch of them as adults. And why does it matter that it took person A a long while to get those fifteen, they are adults, they are already all there, "available", at least in the eyes of person B...

It's a two-sided issue, too. I'm actively looking for 2nd gen Prizes for my scroll goals, and I try to come up with offers as serious as possible in exchange. In the current situation on DC I am limited in what I can offer, I have 7/21 slots to use and I need to balance between quality and quantity when it comes to trading, my personal projects and so on and so forth that's happening on my scroll among growing things at any given moment.

But if I could trade adults, what would prevent me from simply picking trade items from my adult base? I mean, seriously, why not offer 17 CB Metals for something I really want/need? I'd never be able to keep that many growing ones at the same time, but with adults included it's manageable. How about 26?..

The whole thing may lead to prices rocketing even more for something that's already difficult to obtain. I don't think raising the challenge even more would be a positive thing: for people who actively compete at the market and/or can catch/breed very rare things it will serve as extra hassle to deal with, and for people who have less time/luck/etc. to obtain rare items it may only drive them away from their dream goals.

Messed up...

Personally, I don't see this working out for a number of reasons. Not to mention all the spam people would get asking "hey can I have ur rare dragon". Even if certain dragons become scroll-locked, their owners would be buried by the spam. We know how people react over 2G Prizes, imagine the insanity if the CB ones became tradable.

I've always felt that our dragons are attached to us because we raised them from babies. It doesn't seem like it would go well to suddenly drop a full-grown dragon somewhere he doesn't want to be.

Actual game-play issues:

-Named hatchlings can't be traded. Would this apply to adults too? Every single adult and frozen hatchling on my scroll is named, so if names scroll-lock them then this feature does not help me.

-Would frozen hatchlings be made tradable? They act like unbreedable adults in every other way.

-If frozen hatchlings do become tradable, then what about Leetle Trees?

-Can a dragon with a description be traded? Would the description get deleted?

And then there is a rather sizable list of dragons that may have to be coded to be scroll-locked. Prizes (actual Prize-dragons and the runner-ups), GoNs, Spriter's Alts, CB holidays, Frills, Bright Pinks. If they don't become scroll-locked, then people would start offering their entire scrolls for them. (I repeat, serious spammage for the owners of these)

Also, I think there would be a constant cycling of certain dragons. Example: Person 1 raises a CB Gold, breeds it a few times, then trades it off. Person 2 breeds it a few more times then trades it again. So forth and so on.

Also, some have mentioned that trading values could skyrocket. The idea of someone trading off a few dozen rare dragons for 1 or 2 dragons does seem like a reasonable concern.