ShadowRift

Trade/Gift Adults or Frozen Things

I actually feel this could SUBTRACT from the generosity on DC now.

My point is in breeding. Once someone has something, they need not fear they will loose it. No matter how much I beg and plead, I will never have a Frill or Bright Pink. But those who have them need not worry about being begged to 'gift' theirs.

But thanks to breeding, all the other species can be made and remade. Once you have a Gold, you can breed it for as many Golds as you want. Despite that it may literally take years.

Maybe this is a better way to show it: Say two kids each have an apple. One kid rarely gets apples. The kid loves apples, but they don't know if/when they'll ever be able to get one again. The other kid lives on an apple farm. They can get lots of apples. Who do you think would be more willing to give/trade you their apple?

Probably a bad example, but I'm trying.

Ahem...

This topic is about GIFTING the adults and frozen hatchlings/eggs. Of course you can report begging and if you do not want to gift anything then you wouldn't have to. I just thought it would be a nice thing to do at Christmas- giving joy to a player by giving them a dragon, be it inbred tinsel or 2nd gen magma. This isn't about trading the dragons, and of course there WILL have to be limits on however many dragons you can trade. The gifting can be totally anonymous, like the letters last Valentines. And if you don't want to pay anything for an adult/frozen, then you don't have to and you can go and look for another offer.

SO please go read the first post if you haven't already, because I believe many have just posted their opinions biased upon the last reply, and not really considered our free will on what we can and want to trade. Remember, you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. It's NOT a mandatory event.

Actually, I read through the whole thread, but my thinking isn't limited to the OP. Because there are many bright minds playing DC, we have to try to think like them. So, there are people who have literally dozens, if not hundreds, of CB frills. They used to be annoyingly common, cave-blockers par excellence. (Forgive me, Lyth?) But now, they're as good as impossible to get.

Now, player A has a hundred CB frills, but absolutely no rares. He might decide to just gift his frills to random people. Or he might decide to gift his frills to "random people" who have "gifted" him a couple of CB golds beforehand. Or an elusive Holly. A CB or 2nd gen Tinsel. Whatever. And, as long as there are not enough frills to go around and people are desperate enough, someone will agree to these terms. Which is why I'm totally opposed to adult giftin.

Also, the role-playing aspect of gifting adult dragons to someone else are iffy at best. The best way to explain this would be that your dragon decides to move to a different territory that just happens to belong to your friend, but even that might be stretching it.

Last, I think the reasoning of some people is faulty: It's been said at least once that people who aren't playing actively any more could gift away their precious dragons - but why would they if they're not even playing? blink.gif

Ok, think how many old pinks and frills there are.

*Christmas happens*

Now nearly everyone would have an old pink or frill.

Nah, I'm doing good without this (though I do have both discontinued breeds so I suppose that is why I feel this way!).

If you want a frill just do well in the christmas contest.

I like this as a once-every-so-often idea, purely because

1) It's a right pain trying to arrange a trade when you have to hurry to do it before it grows.

2) It gives a chance for Completionists such as myself to get dragons which are Discontinued (old pinks, frills) Which would otherwise be on the scrolls of some of the older players who don't use DC now.

EDIT: I just realised- There are bound to be Hollies on unused scrolls which, if gifted, could add to the gene pool.

Edited by dracocharky

I thought we couldn't get discontinued breeds in the christmas contest

Old Pinks, No

but you can request a Frill biggrin.gif

I'm not really for this--( even though, I could perhaps get my son and hubby who no longer play to give me their CB Golds- tongue.gif )

not really sure why ,but it just feels wrong--

Edited by dragonpuck

I just realised- There are bound to be Hollies on unused scrolls which, if gifted, could add to the gene pool.
I can only repeat: If the scroll is unused, the player is - obviously - not playing. So why should someone who has long since left DC come back to gift their adults to random strangers, even though they most likely don't even know that it's possible? If they've moved on, they've moved on. Most of them don't stay in the loop, much less demolish their scroll on a whim.

I can only repeat: If the scroll is unused, the player is - obviously - not playing. So why should someone who has long since left DC come back to gift their adults to random strangers, even though they most likely don't even know that it's possible? If they've moved on, they've moved on. Most of them don't stay in the loop, much less demolish their scroll on a whim.

There's this little thing called email.

There's this little thing called email.

And how do people who are after asking for their dragons make contact ? (Not that I support this... but that is something to think about. MOST players, I think, are NOT on forum.)

This thread was started with the nice, if naive, idea of gifting unobtainable dragons to others. But now all of a sudden we are trying to figure out how we can contact inactive players to ask them to give up the dragons on their scroll??? "Gimme your dragons, you aren't using them!"

I am still very much against this idea. It would just fundamentally change the game and I don't think that is a good thing!

And how do people who are after asking for their dragons make contact ? (Not that I support this... but that is something to think about. MOST players, I think, are NOT on forum.)

I meant like, an announcement email.

sort of,

"Hi, it's TJ, You can give away adult dragons now, so if you've quit you might want to do that, Kthxbye."

Edited by dracocharky

Sounds nice, but I'm going to vote no.

Trading adults allows people to breed them. I think only trading frozen eggs/hatchies would be a much better idea. You can't do anything with a frozen hatchie.

But people who haven't played in years likely don't use that email any more - remember when the idea about emailing people to warn them they would lose their names if they didn't log in ? We still get loads coming here and saying why did their names go - and they are even people who had been here within the last 6 months or so, and who were presumably sent an email....

This thread was started with the nice, if naive, idea of gifting unobtainable dragons to others. But now all of a sudden we are trying to figure out how we can contact inactive players to ask them to give up the dragons on their scroll??? "Gimme your dragons, you aren't using them!"

I am still very much against this idea. It would just fundamentally change the game and I don't think that is a good thing!

Not necessarily unobtainable. And I posted the idea of "inactive" players thinking about players that MIGHT be considering to quit the game, or they don't play anymore but have friends or relatives who still do, or somehow still keep in touch with the community.

In no way I meant to force anyone to gift their adults.

I already didn't like the idea of gifting adults. It does open up the possibility of those with impossible to get dragons being begged for their dragons, and any number of possible abuses. But, now we are talking about sending emails to beg people who have quit the game to come back to gift their desirable dragons!?!? So not in favor!

Adult dragons are released rather than abandoned for the very reason that they can and will care for themselves. Adult dragons do not need human "owners". That they have any measure of allegiance to their human at all is due to the close association from babyhood. No, no, a thousand times no.

But people who haven't played in years likely don't use that email any more - remember when the idea about emailing people to warn them they would lose their names if they didn't log in ? We still get loads coming here and saying why did their names go - and they are even people who had been here within the last 6 months or so, and who were presumably sent an email....

not necessarily, I've had the same email for about 10 years.

But, now we are talking about sending emails to beg people who have quit the game to come back to gift their desirable dragons!?!?

No.

We're notifying them in case they WANT to do that.

If they'd want to do that, they'd be playing actively. Then again, if you play actively, you might still be very attached to your dragons. Both are not good enough for me.

(Besides, DC doesn't send out emails like, "The holiday breeding season for your Christmas dragons has begun. Feel free to breed your holly now." Neither does DC send out emails to remind inactive players to breed their CB golds and silvers and whatnot.)

If they'd want to do that, they'd be playing actively. Then again, if you play actively, you might still be very attached to your dragons. Both are not good enough for me.

(Besides, DC doesn't send out emails like, "The holiday breeding season for your Christmas dragons has begun. Feel free to breed your holly now." Neither does DC send out emails to remind inactive players to breed their CB golds and silvers and whatnot.)

hatchies they would be. we're talking about adults. They wouldn't be active if they wanted to transfer adults, because you can't do it- hence the thread.

that's because holiday breeding

1) happens every year

and

2) that's breeding though, and breeding happens at regular intervals. if they wanted to breed their dragons, they would.

you seem to be missing the point.

This is a single, one-off email suggesting that if they don't want to play any more, they might want to donate their dragons to someone else using this brand new feature that didn't exist when they played!

This is a single, one-off email suggesting that if they don't want to play any more, they might want to donate their dragons to someone else using this brand new feature that didn't exist when they played!

by the same notion, you should be sending out emails for every change on this site.

so basically anything that would go into the news section would also go into a mass email.

Which hasn't happened in the past, so I think it's safe to say it's a way of running the site TJ does not want to venture into.

What about anonymous gifting? It could be an option in actions. The dragon would be randomly gifted to somebody who doesn't own the breed. Nobody could go begging around, since there wouldn't be anything to gain from that.

hatchies they would be. we're talking about adults. They wouldn't be active if they wanted to transfer adults, because you can't do it- hence the thread.

Why? There are many generous people here who might consider gifting their adults, too. But sending begging emails around... That's an entirely different matter, especially if you consider that DC has a rather strict no-begging policy.

that's because holiday breeding

1) happens every year

and

2) that's breeding though, and breeding happens at regular intervals. if they wanted to breed their dragons, they would.

Not necessarily. When vampires came out as the Halloween '08 dragon, they couldn't bite. (They couldn't breed, either.) The bite BSA was only implemented at Halloween '09, and nobody sent an email then. When the pumpkins came out, they couldn't breed, either. Their ability to breed with pygmies was only implemented after people suggested that here, on the forums. Nobody sent out emails about pumpkin breeding then. When the Sweetlings came out at Val '10, many of the first few eggs went missing, and got replaced by alt sweetling eggs when the owner reported the glitch. Yet, nobody got an email telling them to check their scrolls for missing holiday eggs. The actual breeding time for holiday dragons hasn't always been announced, and yet, there has never been an email telling people that the holiday breeding season has started.

Yes, if they wanted to breed, they would. And if they wanted to stay involved with DC, they would. If they chose not to, why would they want to gift their adults to random strangers? If they wanted to get rid of their adults, they would have released them ages ago.

This seems to be rich. unsure.gif

Once again, you are missing my point: Why would they want to do that?

There is a limit in place to keep things reasonable. One trade can only contain 4 items per person. So the max anyone could ask for is 4 things, because there is no way to enforce asking for more.

Ummmm...other than the fact that even though we can't mention IOUs in the forums, all someone would have to say is "PM to discuss" to ask for more than 4.

This. And I have 500+ emails from dc already, so how would I sift through my emails if they're all from dragon cave?

Once again, you are missing my point: Why would they want to do that?

If I ever quit a game, and then recieved a one-time email saying that I could choose to transfer my stuff over to people who I know will appreciate it much more than I am at that point, then I could spare a few minutes of my time to log back in and toss out some presents. And if they don't, hey--just delete it along with all the other unwanted mail everyone probably gets in any given day, case closed. smile.gif

I don't think a one-time email after a year of absence would hurt. It would be automated, so no one would know the person's email other than TJ (and thus there would be no begging), and it would be a one-time thing, so it could hardly be considered spam. And if people have changed emails, then oh well, you can't get in contact with them. But why miss out on everyone who has kept their email just because a few might've changed? I've had this same email account for over three years now, and I don't plan to change it any time soon... others might be the same.

It'd just be a simple little email mentioning that it was possible for players who had been absent for a long time to transfer their dragons to another player, if they so wished.

I don't really care about this a whole lot, as I've mentioned earlier, but I don't think anyone's come up with a good reason to be AGAINST the sending of emails. Being meh on it is one thing, being against it for reasons that I think are easily fixable is another. If you dislike trading adults that's a main thing, focus on that, it just seems silly to nitpick a little thing like email-sending when you don't even want the thing the emails would be sent about implemented. ^^;

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy