ShadowRift

Trade/Gift Adults or Frozen Things

Should we be able to trade/gift adults and frozen things? If yes, what (if any) limits should be applied here?

Below are some basic quotes on suggested limits.

However, it would be a good idea to 'scroll lock' things like the Holiday Limited Edition caveborns and probably Zombie dragons (which I don't think can be traded anyway). Neglected eggs and hatchlings are tradeable, so I don't see any reason why adults shouldn't be either. The code is already available due to the GoNs, so it would just need to be applied to any other types as needed.

In general tho, I see no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to trade adults. Change can be good, and this would be something I would enjoy. Maybe it would make things more interesting and keep both new and old players active.

See, I think that *if* this were to happen, it'd be completely unfair to exclude any specific breeds. Just 'cause CB holidays are "special", why shouldn't they be able to be traded? I mean really, if a feature is going to completely change the way the game works *anyways*, why not change that too?

The only way I could *possibly* support trading adults is if there was some sort of "growing" time for them as well. And it could make sense RP-wise too: An adult dragon is forcibly removed from it's home and given to you, so you need to spend some time training/taming it. Maybe, just like eggs/hatchies can die if you don't take care of them, a traded adult can run away if you don't take care of it.

What can be traded tho, that's another story. Simply due to the complaints already voiced in this thread, there will have to be limits, otherwise it would never work. My suggested restricted types would be..

caveborn holidays

caveborn tinsels/shimmers

caveborn hybrids and ALTs that were given out as HM prizes

any type of zombie dragon

Guardians of Nature, which aren't tradeable even as eggs/hatchlings

Artist Sprites

YES but like Celly said, not prizes, but I think if you've had the dragon for 8 days + it can't be transferred.

Ok,

I was thinking that perhaps for one day of the year (or month or every 60 days), trading untradables could be possible. It would be a nice thing to do, and would be a very pleasant surprise if suddenly you had that 3rd Gen tinsel you were looking for one morning, or a frozen silver hatchie. I was thinking that this event could be around X-mas, and if it was, ALL of your dragons/eggs/frozen eggs and hatchlings/hatchies would have a link at the bottom of their actions page which says something like "'Gift' This action can be used 1 more time before _______". Once clicked, there could be this page which says "Enter Giftees Scroll Name:______, 'Gift'". But if they don't want the dragon, there could be a link at the bottom of the gifted dragon's page which says "Gift Back" or something. And especially since Christmas is about giving, it would be quite suitable to have a similar event. You may have a good friend on here, and your magma pair is refusing to breed so you send them an adult instead.

If the event isn't going to be near a holiday, then there could be an action similar to teleport which is available with a certain dragon (limited per scroll one), or can only be used once a month.

Just wondering, I have a couple of adults I wouldn't mind sending as a gift.

Your views?

Basic summary of common concerns/ideas in thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=8284826

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I would like that. Let's say someone decides not to play anymore, and has several of discontinued breeds. They could gift those, instead of staying on a scroll that will not be used again.

Just a thought smile.gif

I like the basis behind the idea but I think it really needs a ton of limits to work, otherwise it allows for very easy multi-scrolling (using a scroll as a new-be scroll, getting dragons from gifting threads then 'quiting' and sending the dragons to the older scroll. Rinse and Repeat.)

I think that if we had the limit of only giving away 5 dragons total or 5 dragons in total to each player this would seem more realistic.

I like the basis behind the idea but I think it really needs a ton of limits to work, otherwise it allows for very easy multi-scrolling (using a scroll as a new-be scroll, getting dragons from gifting threads then 'quiting' and sending the dragons to the older scroll. Rinse and Repeat.)

I think that if we had the limit of only giving away 5 dragons total or 5 dragons in total to each player this would seem more realistic.

Or simply a limit of receiving only X dragons per DC-Celebrated Holiday (Valentine's, Halloween, Christmas), and that way it's too time-consuming to use it as a cheat. (If it's implemented and limited this way, there should be an option on the recipient's end of "receive gift" so that if they don't want the dragon it won't count towards their limit).

This way also those who like to gift can do so as much as they like, and those who are leaving permanently can gift all their discontinued and other desirable dragons on one holiday - they'll just be forced to distribute them among multiple users.

I am sorry, but I do not like this idea. I do not choose to hide my scroll or scroll name, but I also do not want to have to deal with a flood of requests to give people my old pinks and frills.

Not terribly fond of this. The point of DC is to raise the dragons yourself--giving away frozens/adults kind of defeats that purpose.

I get that it'd be a nice way to give somebody something that's not available anymore if you were planning to quit, but still.

I was just thinking that you could only gift ONE dragon/frozen thing per year(maybe 5), or maybe more on Christmas/holidays, but all the dragons on your scroll would have the option to be gifted. As for the begging, there could be a rule not to beg maybe or if you do beg and it is reported, your scroll would be burnt/valuable dragons would be killed? And because of the limit of of dragons/frozen things you could send per however many months, it would be very pointless in owning more than one scroll.

@SolarCat- that is a good idea- only being able to accept a certain amount of dragons.

Edited by ShadowRift

I'm not really a fan. If nothing else, think of the RP implications. These are not dogs and cats that are tame and willing to accept any "master". These are intelligent dragons that are often times very vicious, only accepting the person who raised them. They're independent enough to be able to be just fine if they're sent to the wild to live on their own, and probably hunt for themselves even when "owned". Personally, I think a good many dragons would be more likely to eat their new "owner" rather than peacefully join the scroll.

But what about the frozen hatchlings/eggs? They aren't as vicious as the adults, and maybe it could be a Valentine dragon that will have the responsibility for making the dragon like their new owner?

Oh, and maybe the gifted dragons can't be killed, because that would spoil the whole idea of giving.

Trading adults makes for a better game with less stress. Trading eggs/hatchlings is a hurry up and wait frustrating mess, because you have a very limited timeframe in which to make your trades.

Example: Should I take this trade or wait on a better offer? You decide to wait and the hatchling grows up on your scroll.

Example 2: You make a trade with Player B and set up the proper teleport link. Player B has a RL issue and doesn't get back in time to make the trade. Again, the hatchling grows up on your scroll.

Trading adults make 100 times more sense and is pretty standard on other collecting games. And as long as DC has no currency system.. and trades are limited to a 4:1 max ratio.. there shouldn't be any problems with the general trading atmosphere.

The stress of trading with a time limit is the biggest reason I don't do much trading anymore. That would likely change should we be allowed to start trading adults.

Not terribly fond of this. The point of DC is to raise the dragons yourself--giving away frozens/adults kind of defeats that purpose.

I get that it'd be a nice way to give somebody something that's not available anymore if you were planning to quit, but still.

^this^

sad.gif

I think if we were meant to trade adults/frozen hatchlings we'd be able to do it by now.

I have no problems only teleporting growing things. A no from me. ^^

I'm leaning towards a no. Of course there are times when I'm trading that I think to myself 'it would be nice if we could trade/gift adults' but then I remember why that would be such a hassle, and I think the system is fine just the way it is.

SUPPORT! I would love this! Just recently I had two eggs hatch on me and had to send the teleport link again, and...ugh, it was a headache. This is the reason I don't like gifting so much and mostly gift via the AP.

Anyway, DC not having this mechanic is what sets it apart from most collectible games, and not in a good way. It frustrates me to no end. I'd definitely want this.

I don't like this. Imagine some older players trading away their bright pinks or frills or CB blacks or CB vines - which used to be incredibly common! - for inordinate prices... *shudder* Do not want. sad.gif

There is a limit in place to keep things reasonable. One trade can only contain 4 items per person. So the max anyone could ask for is 4 things, because there is no way to enforce asking for more.

Yes, there is. Just demand a payment of four hatchlings/adults before you accept a trade containing four more...

That's how trading economies get busted. Demanding more than a single trade allows is pure greed.. and agreeing to it shows either stupidity or desperation. That's the single biggest reason I refuse to trade... greed.

Sounds like a nice idea to me, even if it's just once a year on Christmas or some such.

That's how trading economies get busted. Demanding more than a single trade allows is pure greed.. and agreeing to it shows either stupidity or desperation. That's the single biggest reason I refuse to trade... greed.

True. But you know what some people charge for 2nd gen tinsels or hollies or whatever - and how many people were willing to pay. And there is no other reliable way to get a retired breed. Or a CB of older holidays. (I know you can win a frill for the Christmas whatever-it-will-be-this-year, but chances are less than slim.)

It's a no from me. DC, at it's core, is about raising dragons. You can breed, or name, or describe, but at it's core it's really about raising dragons. Suddenly being able to just have any adult dragon you want, and not even try to catch/raise it, just doesn't sound right.

well, welcome to the real world.

it's called supply and demand.

greed is a very negative word, showing you have no clue how economy works.

also, if I overpay for something I really want, I do not care.. because I really really wanted it. Or i have enough of that other stuff.

As long as there are limits and rules that come along with this, I see no real problem with it.

I've got more CB nebulae and thunders than I know what to do with...it'd be cool to be able to put some of them on a scroll that would appreciate them.

This is a no from me.

I could just imagine the amount of people after my Bright Pink and Frill. DX

Though, I do think something should be done about hatchlings growing up when in a trade. Someone tried to gift me an ER Pink hatchling a few days ago or so and it literally grew up as I was accepting the transfer. dry.gif