ShadowRift

Trade/Gift Adults or Frozen Things

If I ever quit a game, and then recieved a one-time email saying that I could choose to transfer my stuff over to people who I know will appreciate it much more than I am at that point, then I could spare a few minutes of my time to log back in and toss out some presents. And if they don't, hey--just delete it along with all the other unwanted mail everyone probably gets in any given day, case closed. smile.gif

I don't think a one-time email after a year of absence would hurt. It would be automated, so no one would know the person's email other than TJ (and thus there would be no begging), and it would be a one-time thing, so it could hardly be considered spam. And if people have changed emails, then oh well, you can't get in contact with them. But why miss out on everyone who has kept their email just because a few might've changed? I've had this same email account for over three years now, and I don't plan to change it any time soon... others might be the same.

It'd just be a simple little email mentioning that it was possible for players who had been absent for a long time to transfer their dragons to another player, if they so wished.

I don't really care about this a whole lot, as I've mentioned earlier, but I don't think anyone's come up with a good reason to be AGAINST the sending of emails. Being meh on it is one thing, being against it for reasons that I think are easily fixable is another. If you dislike trading adults that's a main thing, focus on that, it just seems silly to nitpick a little thing like email-sending when you don't even want the thing the emails would be sent about implemented. ^^;

A very good point towards the e-mail sending.

Ahem...

This topic is about GIFTING the adults and frozen hatchlings/eggs. Of course you can report begging and if you do not want to gift anything then you wouldn't have to. I just thought it would be a nice thing to do at Christmas- giving joy to a player by giving them a dragon, be it inbred tinsel or 2nd gen magma. This isn't about trading the dragons, and of course there WILL have to be limits on however many dragons you can trade. The gifting can be totally anonymous, like the letters last Valentines. And if you don't want to pay anything for an adult/frozen, then you don't have to and you can go and look for another offer.

SO please go read the first post if you haven't already, because I believe many have just posted their opinions biased upon the last reply, and not really considered our free will on what we can and want to trade. Remember, you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. It's NOT a mandatory event.

That doesn't make sence.If I want to gift something like 2nd trios,I'll just breed them.It is not a hard thing to get them and we do NOT have to send our adults.Even if you insist this system is a gift system.it will be used as a trading system for sure.

And the most importand thing is:I only gift eggs,not hatchings.Because in my opinion,the one who doesn't want to take time to raise dragons is not worth to gift.

Gifting adults just makes someone lazy.

Edited by Mercury

That doesn't make sence.If I want to gift something like 2nd trios,I'll just breed them.It is not a hard thing to get them and we do NOT have to send our adults.Even if you insist this system is a gift system.it will be used as a trading system for sure.

And the most importand thing is:I only gift eggs,not hatchings.Because in my opinion,the one who doesn't want to take time to raise dragons is not worth to gift.

Gifting adults just makes someone lazy.

There could be checks put in place to keep it from turning into trading, if that was the only way it would be allowed. I mentioned earlier that one way to do it might be to allow one dragon to be gifted per month of absence--so yes, someone could still technically abuse that for trading privileges, but they'd have to give up a whole month of play time in order to do so. That's a pretty hefty payment to make for the sake of a trade, and so I imagine most people won't do it. smile.gif

I don't support trading of adults or frozens.

I do think, though, that having the ability to gift adults or frozens on Christmas (and maybe Valentines) would be awesome. But ONLY on those days, and ONLY gifting. And things like the snow angel/sweetling/spriter alt color-coding would still count (ex. if I gave a tricolor snow angel to someone whose scroll is coded for gold-winged snow angels, it would become gold-winged).

I have some CB/nicely-lined holidays that I'm most likely going to release for the sake of lineage projects, and it would be awesome to be able to randomly give one to someone with none for Christmas/Valentines instead of having to release - since those CB's will never be available again and my bright-pink-lineaged Yulebuck really is gorgeous. I wouldn't even be considering dropping them if not for scroll limits.

Even if it only applied to the gifting of the respective holidays' adults, it would be a nice Christmas/Valentine event (hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, PRETTY PLEASE?).

There could be checks put in place to keep it from turning into trading, if that was the only way it would be allowed. I mentioned earlier that one way to do it might be to allow one dragon to be gifted per month of absence--so yes, someone could still technically abuse that for trading privileges, but they'd have to give up a whole month of play time in order to do so. That's a pretty hefty payment to make for the sake of a trade, and so I imagine most people won't do it. smile.gif

What I am confused is that:As we can gift hatchings and eggs,why do we have to gift adults?

For something valuable as holly,you won't get it as a gift most of time,right?Then you won't get frill or bright pink as a gift.

For something not that valuable,we can always get it easily.Then we don't have to gift adults.

I don't see the point.

For the system,there's no way to check if it is a gift or trade.Even if I can only get one dragon in a year,I'd like to use that chance to get a cb holly if I can.I think there are many people who will do in the same way.

I don't know why I have to give up a whole month to play.I can still catch eggs and trade eggs and hatchings even if I recieve a adult,right?If for everyone who accepts such a gift,he can't catch or raise dragons for a month,I'd like to know who wants to accept a gift like a 2nd gen trio.

Edited by Mercury

I'm confused. What's the matter with using this system to trade? Must we have such tight control over people's gameplay? I thought you could do whatever you wanted with your dragons and multi-scrolling, using vulgar language, and view-bombing were the only things against the Cave Rules...

I'm confused. What's the matter with using this system to trade? Must we have such tight control over people's gameplay? I thought you could do whatever you wanted with your dragons and multi-scrolling, using vulgar language, and view-bombing were the only things against the Cave Rules...

Because that wil change DC to a very different game,and it will make DC's economy in a mess.There IS a game that can trade adults and I don't like that game at all.

If we can trade adults,then the cb holiday dragons are not that valuabla.

For DC,something that you have missed,you miss it forever.Just like frill.People will learn to be patient and treasure what they have now.That's DC.

In the BSA sub-forum, BSA-ideas have to "make sense for the breed".

Well, this doesn't really make sense, not to me. We raise these dragons, get them to trust us, even the aggressive and mean ones choose to stay with us once we raise them..... And then suddenly, *after* they are all grown up and used to us, we shove them away to be with someone else? Would the dragons really put up with that?

What's the matter with using this system to trade? Must we have such tight control over people's gameplay?

-Not allowing trading of adults will prevent people in trade threads posting "HAVE 10TH GEN INBRED BRONZE TINSEL EGG PLZ, WANT CB ADULT HOLLY PLZ, NO OTHER OFFERS PLZ."

-Not allowing trading of adults will prevent people in trade threads reposing "HAVE 10TH GEN INBRED BRONZE TINSEL ADULT PLZ, WANT CB GOLD CB SILVER CB HOLLY PLZ, NO OTHER OFFERS PLZ" every day for two years.

-Really, it makes sense in-game. For the most part the dragons are supposed to be sapient. You've raised them from eggs or hatchlings and as adults they will have bonded with you and your other dragons and probably come to respect you, especially if you've had them for several years. I can't see your average adult dragon being okay with you trading it away to some stranger (in fact, it would be quite insulting, as it insinuates that the dragon is a thing to be traded) for another dragon that's "better" than it.

On the other hand, "hey ribbon dancer, this person here is new to the island and has no ribbon dancers. You want to join their clan? It would make them happy," would be more likely to receive a warm response. Presumably, by the time you've sent off a gifting link to someone those "arrangements" would have already been made with the dragons being sent off.

If we can trade adults,then the cb holiday dragons are not that valuabla.

In this I think you are very mistaken! Think about it. I only have two CB Yulebucks. If I traded one away, then what are the chances of me ever being able to trade for another CB Yulebuck? Very, very slim--and as such, I would never do it, and those who do will ask a very high price. Just adding the possibility of trading them doesn't make them any less rare--it actually makes them MORE rare. You think a 2nd gen Holly goes for a lot? Just imagine how crazy the price would be if someone decided to trade a CB one!

@Marie19R: Lots of things on DC already don't make sense. Our super strong, super intelligent dragons allow us to feed their eggs to vampires or toss their babies into the wild to die on a daily basis. We can make them breed to dragons they hate (like Luminas to Turps), we can neglect their fellow dragons to death without them caring, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on. I think trading adults, in comparison, makes a lot more sense--I view the relationship between us and our dragons as more of an alliance than an ownership in many cases, as I don't see things like Marrows or Magis or even Pillows tolerating being treated as pets. Rather they're our companions, and respect us--and, as such, may be alright with it if we ask them to give their alliances to someone else. To make a fantasy-based comparison, it'd be like an old and well-respected monarch asking his most trusted soldier to go fight for an allied king, so that said king would send over some much-needed troops with different skills to serve their own kingdom. The soldier might not be eager to go, but he respects the king's opinion and figures things won't be so bad with the other king anyway.

@Angelkitty: People already post things like "have 7th gen Gold, want CB Silver" or "have 5th gen Ice, want a Neglected" in trades, and other similar silly trades. Allowing the trading of adults won't make trade offers any more or less dumb then they can already be. If someone has no sense of what something is worth, they'll continue to make crazy offers, whether it be of eggs, hatchlings, or adults. For my own part, I had someone offer me two CB common hatchies for my 5th gen Gold egg today, so... lP

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Remember, ADP: when a human touches an egg, it loses its scent and parent dragons can no longer identify the egg as theirs. Also, you raise the dragons, so they most likely look upon you as their parent. Trading adults wouldn't make sense. They have no bond with the new owner, so why not have a nice snack?

In this I think you are very mistaken! Think about it. I only have two CB Yulebucks. If I traded one away, then what are the chances of me ever being able to trade for another CB Yulebuck? Very, very slim--and as such, I would never do it, and those who do will ask a very high price. Just adding the possibility of trading them doesn't make them any less rare--it actually makes them MORE rare. You think a 2nd gen Holly goes for a lot? Just imagine how crazy the price would be if someone decided to trade a CB one!

@Marie19R: Lots of things on DC already don't make sense. Our super strong, super intelligent dragons allow us to feed their eggs to vampires or toss their babies into the wild to die on a daily basis. We can make them breed to dragons they hate (like Luminas to Turps), we can neglect their fellow dragons to death without them caring, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on. I think trading adults, in comparison, makes a lot of sense--I view the relationship between us and our dragons as more of an alliance than an ownership in many cases, as I don't see things like Marrows or Magis or even Pillows tolerating being treated as pets. Rather they're our companions, and respect us--and, as such, may be alright with it if we ask them to give their alliances to someone else.

@Angelkitty: People already post things like "have 7th gen Gold, want CB Silver" in trades, and other similar silly trades. Allowing the trading of adults won't make anything more or less dumb then it already is. If someone has no sense of what something is worth, they'll continue to make crazy offers, whether it be of eggs, hatchlings, or adults. For my own part, I had someone offer me two CB common hatchies for my 5th gen Gold egg today, so... tongue.gif

I am not talking about the price.

Things you can't get are the most valuable.

Once you miss this Christmas,you'll never be able to get cb Christmas of this year.Then that dragon will be treasured even if there are many in DC.Because that's special.

If we can trade adult I am sure there's someone who wants to trade their CB SW for a cb gold or so.Because they have many of them,but it is impossilbe to get a cb gold for them.

Edited by Mercury

Remember, ADP: when a human touches an egg, it loses its scent and parent dragons can no longer identify the egg as theirs. Also, you raise the dragons, so they most likely look upon you as their parent. Trading adults wouldn't make sense. They have no bond with the new owner, so why not have a nice snack?

See, I find what you just mentioned to be an example of silly cave logic in itself. Let's imagine a typical day on DC from an 'in-game' perspective; your White dragon lays an egg. You then take the egg. Your intelligent White, so wise that it knows powerful healing magic, then herpderps and doesn't care where its precious new egg might have went, and even if it does care, it is suddenly too dumb to guess that the White egg sitting five feet from it at the cave's entrance is its own because it smells like you. How does THAT make any sense? X'D

And again, even if a dragon didn't recognize an egg as its own, do you think a White dragon or gentle Valentine would really be ok watching its beloved owner let a vampire nom an egg, or stabbing a hatchie to perform revival rituals on it? I should think they'd find you a monster and rebel against you... but they don't!

So yes, I still think that dragons agreeing to serve someone else makes more sense than much of what happens in the cave. wink.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Whether it's trading or gifting, there are probably not so very many active players with bright pinks and/or frills as you might think. Many people who had them have gone inactive. The active players with them are probably pretty possessive of them. Anyone who thinks mine are going anywhere best have his or her head examined. biggrin.gif

Now say I was inactive, and I got some magical email telling me I could gift my rare/discontinued dragons. If I have lost interest in the game, why on earth would I choose to come back to the forum and spend who knows how much time looking thru who know how many scrolls for ones lacking said dragons so i could make them happy. If I bothered at all, I would probably just pick out the first names on the online list (thank you for giving me even more of them lol) or pick names at random...either way, there is a poor chance of people suddenly getting those rare critters. Most people who are inactive don't care..about the game or the people playing it. Thinking otherwise is not very realistic.

People could ask politely in this thread for almost everything except CB Metals or NDs and would get them within hours.

I've actually been gifted, I think it was 5 NDs, from one person. It was completely unsolicited too. I'll admit I helped them big time with a 3 way trade [they had something I wanted, I had something someone else wanted who had something the first person wanted] but I had already felt overpaid for my part in that trade [i think it was something like 7 CB metals that I ended up with, I gave two away]

So I agree in the sense that some people are waaaaaay generous. This same generousness is also a reason why I DON'T think trading/transferring adults is needed. In 99.999% of the situations it would be used for the gifter could just as easily give an egg or hatchling. In the TINY number of possible trades/transfers that involve discontinued dragons or dragons that can no longer be gotten as CB, is it really worth setting up a whole new system just so a few people can get something special?

I haven't been seeing anyone opposed to the trading of frozen hatchies, even if they're not unobtainable. Is it just because you can't continue lineages with them?

Well, this doesn't really make sense, not to me. We raise these dragons, get them to trust us, even the aggressive and mean ones choose to stay with us once we raise them..... And then suddenly, *after* they are all grown up and used to us, we shove them away to be with someone else? Would the dragons really put up with that?

I'm with ADP. Plus, think of it this way. You go to your dragon. You say, "I can't/don't want to run this scroll anymore. Rather than you being abandoned, I want to leave you in the care of another. Please be as good to them as you were to me."

I think that's an okay thing.

I'm with ADP. Plus, think of it this way. You go to your dragon. You say, "I can't/don't want to run this scroll anymore. Rather than you being abandoned, I want to leave you in the care of another. Please be as good to them as you were to me."

I think that's an okay thing.

But that would mean that this "gifting" would only be available to people who are abandoning their scroll, right? 'Cause that's completely different then what the OP was talking about.

Well, I guess you could change it to, 'I don't want to take care of you anymore.' Though that's kind of mean.

But that would mean that this "gifting" would only be available to people who are abandoning their scroll, right? 'Cause that's completely different then what the OP was talking about.

Everyone in this thread kind of has a different opinion of how this would work. Some people think adults should be able to be traded without any limits, others think only those who have 'quit' should be able to transfer them to other people, etc etc.

The problem is that adult dragons of rare/discontinued breeds would become some kind of inoffical DC currency. I kow that the effect is already there to some extent - just think of CB metals or NDs - but it would be much, much worse if adults could be traded because you could easily "save up" for a bigger goal.

because you could easily "save up" for a bigger goal.

And what's wrong with that? Isn't that what we do in the 'real world' if we want something we can't afford at the time?

Trading without a time limit (i.e. trading adults) makes so much more sense than trying to get an expensive trade together in only 7 days. It's been 7 months since I found a caveborn gold, and some folk ask for multiple golds for a single trade. That means I have to send things one at a time as I find them, and trust the other person for months and months hoping they won't back out at the last min, or just flat out ignore me. I'd much rather be able to collect the entire trade on MY scroll for the length of time it takes me, then send all at once with a single two way teleport.. because the trade can't be completed until the other person sends what they promised.

And yes, I'm not very trusting.. I've been ripped off too many times.

Edit to add: I know that a two way trade can be a rip off too, but if there is a rip off, there's a record of it that you can report to the Mods for TJ to investigate.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

Not terribly fond of this. The point of DC is to raise the dragons yourself--giving away frozens/adults kind of defeats that purpose.

This,

And what's wrong with that? Isn't that what we do in the 'real world' if we want something we can't afford at the time?

Trading without a time limit (i.e. trading adults) makes so much more sense than trying to get an expensive trade together in only 7 days. It's been 7 months since I found a caveborn gold, and some folk ask for multiple golds for a single trade. That means I have to send things one at a time as I find them, and trust the other person for months and months hoping they won't back out at the last min, or just flat out ignore me. I'd much rather be able to collect the entire trade on MY scroll for the length of time it takes me, then send all at once with a single two way teleport.. because the trade can't be completed until the other person sends what they promised.

And yes, I'm not very trusting.. I've been ripped off too many times.

Edit to add: I know that a two way trade can be a rip off too, but if there is a rip off, there's a record of it that you can report to the Mods for TJ to investigate.

The problem I see is that we'd get into a realm where our adult dragons serve as currency. Which is something I'd rather not see here.

In a way, they already are.. not by their growth stage, but by their breed. The most wanted, asked for dragons are cb golds, Neglecteds and/or low gen Hollies. So they set the standard, regardless of their growth stage.

Truth is, folk would actually have more and better things to trade if they could trade adults. Not to mention, being able to save up for things. Taking the rush out of trading eggs/hatchlings would allow a more relaxed and trusting trading atmosphere.