Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

Not really. Sunday noon EST is just what for Australians? Considering that Australia is 13 to 15 hours ahead of DC time, it was already Monday for them when the drop started, not to mention in the middle of the night. Definitely a perfect time for a release - at least much, much better than 24 hours before then. /sarcasm

NO - I meant that whoever said Sunday was bad for them wasn't taking account of the fact that Saturday for THEIR convenience would have just stuck Australians with Sunday instead.

Nothing will suit everyone.

i dont support the limit on new releases. i also dont support making new releases drop like holidays (like others have said, it skews the ratios too much later on; so unless TJ doesn't count those eggs as part of the ratio, thats a no go for me).

i think the best thing to do is to go back to regularly scheduled releases.  every single release went so smooth last year with very little complaining.  i'd love to have that back tbh.

Weren't the coppers one of those ? I forget... people weren't too happy about that release either.

Edited by fuzzbucket

No, Coppers were one of the 7 dragons in 7 days birthday release which is why by the time they got released most of us didn't have room for more than one or two of them!

Like I've said in the release thread, if you release rares for 24 hours they'll be supersuperrares once the block stops because the ratios just can't do that. A more feasible solution to the problem you're seeing would be advanced warning of a day or two before the release and keeping releases to Saturdays.

There are solutions to that problem, including making ones dropped during X time not count toward ratios or altering the ratios to compensate for the huge drop. I think this has been brought up before in another thread, or maybe earlier in this one?

And I believe that while Coppers were scarce fairly quickly, they dropped for closer to five-six hours before mixing, and their mixing was more gradual.

And I believe that while Coppers were scarce fairly quickly, they dropped for closer to five-six hours before mixing, and their mixing was more gradual.

And by all reports these dropped for about 12 hours before mixing, although the mixing was apparently more sudden.

I couldn't say, since I wasn't there myself; I'd heard that they'd started mixing much earlier before nearly vanishing after the maintenance.

I certainly would *not* support a temp limit on new releases. And really, *every* new-release time is going to inconvenience *some* people. We will never, ever have a release that pleases every single user. That's just not going to happen. I would, however, really like things going back to a scheduled release.

There was apparently a glitch with these that's been fixed now.

Just wanted to say that the dropdown selection and search by code or name options for the fertility BSA are really nice. Thanks for this feature.

There are solutions to that problem, including making ones dropped during X time not count toward ratios or altering the ratios to compensate for the huge drop. I think this has been brought up before in another thread, or maybe earlier in this one?

I can recall suggesting that some years back and being told it wasn't possible/likely, but don't think TJ actually said anything regarding this himself?

Having rares not count toward the ratios through a certain period in the initial Flood would make perfect sense in that everyone present for that day could enjoy the Release without creating problems down the road.

Whatever anyone might say about people being able to get new eggs later, every Release is (or should be) a celebration in which everyone wants to participate - and members do like to be able to catch their own eggs without being left out of it.

Thread comments make it plain that Releases where people can catch quickly and easily and move out of the way to allow others to catch as well go smoothly and make virtually everyone happy, as well as preventing severe lag from having the whole Cave on continually refreshing and trying for eggs hour after hour - if not obliged to give up in order to go to work/school/sleep/do homework/house-work/shopping/banking/child-care or any of innumerable real-life responsibilities.

We've seen what happens when the game isn't much fun for for many members for too long, although hope often keeps people coming back for some time, even when their unhappiness has been stigmatized by being insultingly categorized as 'whining'.

But too many people now only check back to see if there are New Releases - and too many who rarely bother even to do that - so positive changes such as that could help make a huge difference in member attendance, especially if regular announced monthly Releases were to return...

While the initial suggestion of restricting initiial Release catching was based on circumstances now known to have been created by a glitch, I'd also like to add that slower catchers can often only hope to catch in-demand dragons during initial Floods, where they can hammer-click without locking themselves on fails.

So - apart from other reasons - restrictions on New Release catching would reduce the ability of slower catchers to obtain what might be their only chance of breeding pairs of rare dragons and the amount of gifting by faster catchers, while faster catchers would still be able to load up later, further increasing trade prices with the increased desperation of those with none or only a Refused pair and pricing new rares out of the dreams of many.

Also, such restrictions would immediately identify rare Releases as such, something which would actually raise the spectre of encouraging multi-scrolling, something I wouldn't ordinarily want controlling our potential, but which in this case would be a real and direct threat.

Edit: also, while Sat daytime might be a more busy time than Sunday day-time for many in timezones close to DC's, and while obviously people even in the same time-zone may be on different schedules than the once more-typical 9-5 work-week/school, etc, as has been pointed out, the Sunday afternoon Release does wind up being a Monday for a good portion of players, and would be less suitable than Saturdays as a standard.

However, I suspect that this may have been an unplanned Release kindly issued by TJ as a sort of last-minute thing, so this may be less an indication that a shift to Sundays is occurring, but that TJ is listening to the members and doing his best to give us a better player experience, which - glitches apart, lol - would be wonderful. smile.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

I certainly would *not* support a temp limit on new releases. And really, *every* new-release time is going to inconvenience *some* people. We will never, ever have a release that pleases every single user. That's just not going to happen. I would, however, really like things going back to a scheduled release.

Very much this.

Edited by fuzzbucket

And by all reports these dropped for about 12 hours before mixing, although the mixing was apparently more sudden.

see i think comparing a rare release to coppers is unfair, because the copper release was unique.

they were released in the middle of a 7 day release where each day brought a new bred, so imo coppers didn't have a chance to act normal (though they did start mixing with other dragons after 2 hours of their initial release iirc).

but coppers only had 1 day to acclimate into the cave, being forced to go into hibernation prematurely by two new breeds that came after them.

if people want to judge a recent rare release, go by how Blusangs or Prylasprites acted.

Why is everyone talking about these as if they're confirmed as rares? I don't see anything that indicates that they're going to be rare. Yes, there was a glitch which made them not drop as they should for awhile, which TJ fixed. (see the news post or search for posts by TJ) They were extremely easy to get Sunday evening, before the glitch. From what I've seen they're easy to get now that the glitch is fixed.

Why is everyone talking about these as if they're confirmed as rares? I don't see anything that indicates that they're going to be rare. Yes, there was a glitch which made them not drop as they should for awhile, which TJ fixed. (see the news post or search for posts by TJ) They were extremely easy to get Sunday evening, before the glitch. From what I've seen they're easy to get now that the glitch is fixed.

Yes indeed. The difficulty people had has really coloured this thread. I didn't know about the glitch when I posted - I shall go delete !

Just wanted to say that the dropdown selection and search by code or name options for the fertility BSA are really nice. Thanks for this feature.

I SO disagree. It takes an AGE for the page to load now. Much longer than it used to - and one could always use ctrl + f before.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Because, when people put up these posts, the new dragons acted like rares. Heck, on Monday, they were harder to catch than blusangs or coppers after the same amount of time, not to mention pyralspites. Because most often, there weren't even any new eggs after a new drop / 5 minute shuffle.

I SO disagree. It takes an AGE for the page to load now. Much longer than it used to - and one could always use ctrl + f before.
I have to side with Fuzz now. The old page loaded more quickly and was easier to navigate due to the tiles.

I have to side with Fuzz now. The old page loaded more quickly and was easier to navigate due to the tiles.

For what it's worth, I also really miss the tiles. There are a few blocks of dragons on my scroll that I like to keep fertilised; having to enter each of the individual dragon names, or having to use a scrollbar that only lets me see a few dragons at a time, has really made fertility a lot more tedious. I mean, I still do it, obviously. But I do wish we could have the tiles back. (Hadn't brought it up so far because from my understanding the tile-view vanished because the code for it broke and was subsequently unavailable...) :c

@Fuzz and Olympe- It only takes a bit to load at first for me, but then everything is fine. I was referring to the ease of finding what I needed rather than the loading time. I use the code search function. Load times are probably subjective.

Edited by Jazeki

@Fuzz and Olympe- It only takes a bit to load at first for me, but then everything is fine. I was referring to the ease of finding what I needed rather than the loading time. I use the code search function. Load times are probably subjective.

Sorry - but - lucky you. You can say that all you like, but for me and MANY others it takes forever. That dragon flapping its little wings while something comes up saying

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: http://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/aj….12.1/react...ddons.min.js:15

So I can only assume it is a script that is there now and wasn't before.

But wait... A brilliant thought has just occurred to me...

Oh. Well it WAS a happy thought. Tried disabling scripts and then I just get

Whoah there!

Looks like you have Javascript disabled. You’ll need to turn it on before you can use this.

So there is no way around it sad.gif

And ctrl + f worked brilliantly - it still does for breed - and PLEASE TJ don't do the same nasty page for breeding.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Fuzz, it can't be a problem for many people if only you and Olympe have mentioned it so far (PinkGothic mentioned she missed the look of the tiles, not a loading problem). Really, I had no idea that there were even any changes made until I went to use fertility for the first time last week. It did slow a bit when loading, but I attributed it to the amount of dragons that I have. I think that your issue deserves its own help topic if it really is a scripting concern.

Edited by Jazeki

I always have to reload the first fertility page because that dragon keeps flapping endlessly without any progress. Afterwards, it seems to load fine for a while - it seems to be session data which expires after some hours or so ...

Fuzz, it can't be a problem for many people if only you and Olympe have mentioned it so far (PinkGothic mentioned she missed the look of the tiles, not a loading problem). Really, I had no idea that there were even any changes made until I went to use fertility for the first time last week. It did slow a bit when loading, but I attributed it to the amount of dragons that I have. I think that your issue deserves its own help topic if it really is a scripting concern.

There are quite a few posts in other threads - not least among those concerning the new skin - as they happened around the same time.

For what it's worth, I don't use Fertility but I just checked it out because of these posts, and yes it loads WAY slow here. That poor dragon just flapping it's wings forever.

I have feedback!

user posted image

"Unavailable for maintenance": description ambiguous.

It can say, "Unavailable due to maintenance" or "Site down for maintenance" or even "Scheduled downtime".

I'll put my 2 cents in about the fertility page load times. I have time to play a hand of solitaire waiting for dragons to load. It's nice but really slow and if I am trying to get more than one dragon ready for breeding it is frustrating.

What I actually came over here to comment on pertains to the Leave an egg, Take an egg page. Periodically for some weeks now I have had the misfortune to run into someone who takes all the eggs down but never claims them.

Two eggs I posted right after maintenence are gone from the page a little over an hour after putting up but still on my scroll. One of the eggs was from a day ago and unclaimed and I put it back up again this evening (8 hours after I found it still on my scroll). It's like someone has an axe to grind about the page and doesn't want anyone to use it. It took me 3 days for one self bred egg to leave my scroll, was repeatedly posted, taken down but not claimed and it wasn't maintenance knocking the list down. I really doubt anything can be done but wanted to put this out where it was known.

Regarding the suggested addition of 2-headed metallics, since those would be unbreedable with most dragons, I would think that over the years those would very likely become at least somewhat less desired than the more generally breedable rares required for so many existing lines/lineages, as the fastest and best able to trade filled up with the 2-headed ones, so that is an interesting suggestion.
I wasn't suggesting two-headed metallics in earnest. As a matter of fact, I was going to call the metallic replacement breeds "gold2" and "silver2" for convenience - which prompted me to change the name slightly.

Lets use Harlequin as an example. She herself stated she already had enoug rares and as such was bored with them despite having a love for silvers. She has stated that she is no longer interested in trading for those or anything else since she has decent access to it and as such will focus on swaps over trades. The problem is traders have nothing else to offer other than the same old golds, same old silvers, etc. As desirable as they are even I'm kind of taking a step back in asking for things like Golds and silvers since I currently feel like I have enough. When there is no one to trade the only valuable dragons with what do you do about it? You amass more because hopefully more quantities of the same overly traded breed may look desirable.

Harlequin is exactly an example for not adding more rares. She has enough golds to last her a lifetime (or something close to that), so she won't be looking for them any more. That's one less very successful catcher out there to get golds. If a new rare breed was added, we'd have to compete against her for the new shinies again - new shinies which everyone would want.

I'll put my 2 cents in about the fertility page load times. I have time to play a hand of solitaire waiting for dragons to load. It's nice but really slow and if I am trying to get more than one dragon ready for breeding it is frustrating.

What I actually came over here to comment on pertains to the Leave an egg, Take an egg page. Periodically for some weeks now I have had the misfortune to run into someone who takes all the eggs down but never claims them.

Two eggs I posted right after maintenence are gone from the page a little over an hour after putting up but still on my scroll. One of the eggs was from a day ago and unclaimed and I put it back up again this evening (8 hours after I found it still on my scroll). It's like someone has an axe to grind about the page and doesn't want anyone to use it. It took me 3 days for one self bred egg to leave my scroll, was repeatedly posted, taken down but not claimed and it wasn't maintenance knocking the list down. I really doubt anything can be done but wanted to put this out where it was known.

SOMEONE said the page is cleaned out occasionally - it could be just that ? (I had the same thing AGES ago...)