Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

The ratio system itself isn't broken, it just needs an automatic and dynamic way to make the under-populated breeds more desirable.

The "kick CB eggs to the AP after x time" is one such way. The "bonus" points in a "store" is another way. Mossy eggs is another.

And even then, at the end of the day.... Golds will NOT be easy to get. They are rare, for a reason. But the Biomes at least should move again.

Cheers!

C4.

I rather agree with this. Ratios do get dull everywhere they exist, not just on DC. That doesn't mean they are broken.

Ratios wouldn't be so annoying if there were no other factors interfering, such as refusals. Plus, collecting supercommons could be made so much easier if the AP didn't add a day to them, for example. But those are already suggestions in their own threads ...

While I've no idea how to fix the cave ratios, I think the BREEDING ratios need a definite change. I'm working on a Spirit Ward x Royal Crimson / Ember project that has literally bred 115+ Spirits to 1 Crimson and 1 Ember. When you have commons refusing to produce even other commons (ok, Embers maybe are a bit uncommon, but CRIMSONS? Crimsons breed like bunnies normally!), it makes working with those commons super frustrating, leading to few people wanting them, making the problem all the worse. There are plenty of other examples of such horror stories happening with other common x common pairs as well.

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=166130

Now here I do agree. Bluebanded ruling every breeding with moonstones, colossi doing the same over mints and balloons trying never to be born - I have issues with all these sad.gif

Good point ... My breeding nemesis is the bendy Striped River ...

Decided to bump the thread rather than start another.

It's great having the links on the biome pages so you can refresh using them - saves my f5 key, and makes things so much easier on my tablet.

I'm nothing if not greedy - tj, could we please have a link like that on the AP page too? I was hunting there on my tablet and I missed it so much. I'll send cookies...

I would like to see alphabetical tabs in the dragon encyclopedia. So instead of all the sprites being show at once, there would be tabs that would have a letter on them. When a user clicks on the tab it would display all of the dragon breeds that start with that letter in alphabetical order. It would make finding dragon breeds easier and would make the encyclopedia page a lot more organized.

I think the option of having a "dark" sort of skin for the site would be quite useful. It would give my eyes some much-needed rest, as I prefer darker colors since they diminish eyestrain. I think maybe others might also find this helpful?

I think the option of having a "dark" sort of skin for the site would be quite useful. It would give my eyes some much-needed rest, as I prefer darker colors since they diminish eyestrain. I think maybe others might also find this helpful?

I believe the Portal 2 skin serves this purpose.

I believe the Portal 2 skin serves this purpose.

I was completely unaware this existed. Thanks!

I would like to see alphabetical tabs in the dragon encyclopedia. So instead of all the sprites being show at once, there would be tabs that would have a letter on them. When a user clicks on the tab it would display all of the dragon breeds that start with that letter in alphabetical order. It would make finding dragon breeds easier and would make the encyclopedia page a lot more organized.

I don't think separate pages per-letter are needed, but breaking up the list by letter wouldn't be terrible.

I don't know if this's been mentioned before but something I'd love to see implemented is some sort of way to execute an action in several eggs at the same time. For example, incubate a whole batch of eggs without having to click one red by one and enter the password 7 times.

I don't know how that could be done. Maybe selecting 7 reds from an available list and then 7 eggs, enter the password once and done.

It would be nice to have it. smile.gif

I don't think separate pages per-letter are needed, but breaking up the list by letter wouldn't be terrible.

I agree that separate pages aren't needed. What I was thinking of in my suggestion is one page with some tabs. When you click on a tab it would display the dragons under that category on the same page with the other tabs still visible. It would still be possible to view all of the dragon breeds at once; you would just have to click all of the tabs. The tabs are just a way to hide the breeds you're not looking for at the moment. That way if I was looking for a magma dragon, instead of scrolling through all of the breeds until I get to "M" I would click the tab that's labeled "M" to show all the "M" dragon breeds at once.

I don't know if this's been mentioned before but something I'd love to see implemented is some sort of way to execute an action in several eggs at the same time. For example, incubate a whole batch of eggs without having to click one red by one and enter the password 7 times.

I don't know how that could be done. Maybe selecting 7 reds from an available list and then 7 eggs, enter the password once and done.

It would be nice to have it. smile.gif

There is a suggestion for this, if you'd like to take a look: BSA use en masse

I am not sure the best place to report this but I have noticed an error with my scroll. My green and grey Lindwurms are not sorting correctly. My frozen female stage 2 hatchlings are appearing below my frozen stage 1 hatchlings. If this sorting error could be fixed, I would greatly appreciate it. Just for the record, I sort by dragon breed name and do not have any customized sorting active.

I am not sure the best place to report this but I have noticed an error with my scroll. My green and grey Lindwurms are not sorting correctly. My frozen female stage 2 hatchlings are appearing below my frozen stage 1 hatchlings. If this sorting error could be fixed, I would greatly appreciate it. Just for the record, I sort by dragon breed name and do not have any customized sorting active.

Please report bugs in the Help section.

Moving this here since the other (very good) thread was closed. It was particularly good because it was IN Site Discussions, which pulls in a VERY different set of users from Suggestions. This thread in Suggestions only gets the same ol users who always frequent Suggestions.... which is a much smaller sub-set. And of course, any BSA suggestion is pointless to discuss in the BSA section... because it promptly dies. Graveyard of Threads, that sub-forum is.

Maybe we could have a thread that's specifically in Site Discussions to list out, link to, and maybe discuss some suggestions and other things, to pull into the threads in Suggestions those different users.

Everything that was suggested in the closed thread for the Cave pretty much already has *existing suggestions* that have been thoroughly discussed... by the user-base, so there's no reason to make more for them. I probably should have linked to them all to show that, but every single suggestion in my post already exists.

Here's what I wrote in the other thread, with slight updates (and some links):

Anyone who knows of a thread I missed, please point it out! Also if you have any other broad type stuffs like this, lemme know!

Please note! Listing them here doesn't mean I support / don't support these threads, it just means I've seen them and they are aimed at addressing one of these problems / affect game play.

If someone walked up to me and said:

"what do you find most frustrating about DC? That might make you leave?"

My answer would be as follows:

1. Breeding commons

• There are multiple BSA, multiple suggestions, to deal with this problem. In a nut shell? When breeding common x common or blocker x blocker, one breed severely dominates the other. 30+ breedings resulting in 30+ Falconis before the first Sunrise? 35 Olives to get one Albino? And what was it...... 62 Black Teas to get a *Pebble?*
  • My preferred way to fix this issue is the BSA for Sunsongs, so you can affect the breeding you actually need to and let the normal ratios handle the rest. But anything that levels out the breedings of commons would help. Breeding and lineage building is a huge thing, and this issue caused major headaches. People don't breed commons because of it, so the commons get more common and turn into blockers.
  • BSA Thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=165303
  • Rework thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=166130

2. Stagnant Biomes

3. No normal releases from September to March

• Summer months are great, but that huge 6 month down-time can be a real biter.
  • The holiday releases are nice, but because of their limited nature only affect things for about two weeks and then they basically sit for the next year. Having even a breed released every month (especially if its a hybrid or other non-standard breed) would really, really help keep interest up over those dead months when most people have more time to play.
  • Thread?

4. Few substantive changes to game play

5. Frustrating trading

• I have my own reasons for breeding only my own dragons to my own, but sometimes that's not possible
  • The trading market is dominated by the ultra rare, and trade threads are hard to follow and can be real pains.
  • Most of my stuff trades best on EATW's trading forum, because its a lot easier for someone who doesn't want to scroll through tons of posts to spot what they want.
  • An in-game trading feature that doesn't require posts and such would be fantastic! Select the dragon you want to trade, select a dropdown of what you want, and boom! Especially if it had a filter / search feature. I honestly think a lot of the problems with trading is finding each other.
  • Thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=118085
  • Teleport notification, tells you when you have an offer (I think its NOT a BSA suggestion, myself): https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=117622
  • Accept just part of a trade: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=127194
  • I think there are others I'm not finding....

6. Scroll organization, including filters / sorts in many areas

If someone came along and asked me, "What additions would you think would really help the Cave?" I would say:

1. The Trader's Canyon (aka a quasi-store and its attached Ecology Management Agency)

• Gives you the chance to get common, uncommon, rare, Prizes, and old Holidays you can't currently get (or that are hiding from you)
  • The EMA provides extra reasons to collect blockers, which will help the site in general
  • Gets CB Prizes back in the game without the raffles
  • Gets old Holidays back in the game
  • Uses things you already do for points and its setup so no griding
  • Thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=165916

2. Higher Trophy levels (and the extra slots that come with them)

• The number of dragons has greatly increased, and hopefully will continue to increase. More slots would be a huge benefit
  • Gives people more goals
  • Thread? Can't seem to find it but I know it has one.

3. Egg / hatchie slots for length of time active

• Has huge support, because it gives another way for users who play differently to get other slots
  • Acts as a loyalty reward, the longer you play the more you get
  • Would suggest though that instead of just 1, that the first comes at the first year then another every 5 years after. Or 3 years.
  • Thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=163370

List isn't complete, but there ya go.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

I agree with everything you said C4--hopefully it's where it belongs, I'd hate to see your good points edited or partially erased for being off-topic.

Ha, just came here to suggest we implement more suggestions, and I've been very eloquently beaten to it! All hail Cyradis.

But seriously. I love DC, been here since '08, but at the same time the extremely slow addition of new features is frustrating. More accurate cooldown timers (your dragon can breed again on August 18th, 2016, at 5:17 PM or something versus the infuriating could be an hour, could be twenty three hours "one day left" message...) and heal are both really basic suggestions from YEARS ago that still, maddeningly, haven't been implemented yet.

There's also a whole gambit of other awesome suggestions out there that have sat for years without anything being done with them. Cyradis summarized a lot of the best of them excellently but to order my own thoughts I'll list a handful again. New BSAs (stargaze to influence nebula color, visualize to see what AP eggs you already picked up, harmonize and reconcile to reset refusals, storm to fog/unfog all your growing things at once, plus many other great BSAs I just can't recall atm), changes to the current teleport system so you can accept just part of a trade, the much hoped for 8th egg slot, better ways to sort and organize our dragons, a change to how breeding works (I spent months trying to do a spirit ward x Royal Crimson project that literally churned out over a hundred spirit wards to get one royal Crimson. Despite crimsons being common. And there are many similar horror stories of one common completely dominating another, giving people even MORE incentive to pay no attention to common breeds), an unfreeze function, kicking blockers to the AP, a limit of 4 CBs for Valentines/Christmases... the store... and I'd still really like to see dead dragons in lineages handled in a different way, so that someone can't trade me a dragon with a lovely line and then riddle it with random tombstones later on.

There's just a wealth of amazing year old suggestions that seem like they're never going to happen. We've had some great changes to the game over the years (the first BSAs, trophies, lifting bred holiday limits, GoN breeding, the return of Old Pinks and Frills woohoo!), but for the most part it feels like they come at a snail's pace. I'd happily forgo a month or two or even three of new dragon releases if it would mean seeing even half of the above projects launched. We got some nice updates with the old breeds returning and the zombies and what not for the 10th birthday, but I have to admit compared to what it could've been it was a bit underwhelming.

Now in the spirit of openness, TJ, if you read this, I know you have a real job now and DC is just a lovingly maintained side project. In which case I understand you might not have the time or financial incentive to prioritize updates like that. If that's the case, though, is there anything we can do to help? Could some type of forum rally for donations where X amount of donations = certain feature released within the year (like a baby Kickstarter, lol) be launched? Could we get an option to run a second line of ads if we choose to boost site revenue? Maybe the shop idea could be reexamined again? (Most of the art in the old store seemed rather hurriedly made, to my eyes, but there were some GORGEOUS art submissions of a realistic horse dragon and epic Sunsong in the shop thread that could definitely tempt me). I'm happy to give this game I've played so long some dough if that's what it needs to get more juice in it--but only if I know it'll actually get more juice in it, if you feel what I'm saying. If things continue as usual then I'll just keep looking at the ads instead.

Everything that was suggested in the closed thread for the Cave pretty much already has *existing suggestions* that have been thoroughly discussed... by the user-base, so there's no reason to make more for them. I probably should have linked to them all to show that, but every single suggestion in my post already exists.

Probably the best thing you can do to help any of these things happen is keep their threads active and moving. It's hard to tell if something is still an issue that needs addressing if its thread has been dead for months.

As an example, when someone claimed in the other thread that description changes weren't really enough, part of their response was that there was already a thread for what they wanted to see. But that thread was posted in 2011. I wouldn't expect that a thread from five years ago about changing descriptions is relevant even after descriptions have been recently changed.

Probably the best thing you can do to help any of these things happen is keep their threads active and moving. It's hard to tell if something is still an issue that needs addressing if its thread has been dead for months.

How active does a thread need to be?

Tabs, for example, was posted back in 2010 and is still garnering posts/interest six years later.

How active does a thread need to be?

Tabs, for example, was posted back in 2010 and is still garnering posts/interest six years later.

Tabs are an interesting situation, as I've mentioned elsewhere.

There's been a enough proposals regarding new ways to organize dragons that I know it's a problem that needs solving. But any solution needs to be easily usable in a wide variety of situations: The average user, with ~100 dragons, all the way up to 10000+ dragons; people reorganizing their dragons from scratch to incremental curation of new dragons as you get them; organizing for self vs organizing for others viewing your scroll.

If you look at a lot of other systems, they don't even bother allowing such a level of curation at that scale. Music playlists rely on some predetermined sort order and search; friends lists on social network do the same.

Maybe you could come up with a way to add some of the more common tags people would want automatically? The generation of the dragon and some of the more common lineage formats (even gen, stair, and spiral) seem like they would be pretty easy. I suspect people would want to tag each breed with their breed name (so they could filter by "hellfire" and "even gen" to get their even gen hellfires), and that shouldn't be hard to automatically generate either. That way people would only have to do unusual tags they want, like members of a specific breeding project. (and I mean automatically in the sense that the site would have a menu of automatic tags it can apply and the user tells the site which tags they want applied, not that all the possible automatic tags would already be applied)

Part of the problem is, people want tags so they can search their dragons for what they want. People have specific information about what makes a given dragon special, but they can't search on that information until they have a way to tell the site what it is.

And I know that the big collectors would have a lot of work to make tags for their dragons, but isn't it better to give them to option to undergo that task than to leave them wallowing in a sea of dragons that cannot be subdivided?

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Tabs are an interesting situation, as I've mentioned elsewhere.

There's been a enough proposals regarding new ways to organize dragons that I know it's a problem that needs solving. But any solution needs to be easily usable in a wide variety of situations: The average user, with ~100 dragons, all the way up to 10000+ dragons; people reorganizing their dragons from scratch to incremental curation of new dragons as you get them; organizing for self vs organizing for others viewing your scroll.

If you look at a lot of other systems, they don't even bother allowing such a level of curation at that scale. Music playlists rely on some predetermined sort order and search; friends lists on social network do the same.

Could you give us any more guidelines on how you would like an idea for tabs to be organized? I have over 7,000 dragons.... organization is horrible, and the various sorts are very buggy when you try to move more than a couple dragons. I think I speak for all of us with huge scrolls when I say I'd accept even a clunky interface... So long as I could sort out my dragons better.

Also, part of the problem with keeping threads active in Suggestions are the board rules. Constantly bumping is frowned on, posting saying "I like it!" without more substance is *strongly* frowned on (I think its against board rules now, in fact).... and once a suggestion is worked out... there's nothing more to discuss! Off-topic (or slightly tangent topic) talk is considered spam. So even the most highly wanted threads don't get attention once they are finished.... because no one can post in them other than the very occasional bump.

And don't get me *started* on the BSA sub-forum idea Graveyard. Can we please split it into "substance" and "fluff" already? There's a thread suggesting just that. Or put "fluff" ideas in their own forum and substantive ideas in the main Suggestions thread, including BSAs.

There are a ton of ideas deeply wanted out there in the BSA Forum Graveyard, but.... no one goes there because almost all the threads are "fluff" so the ones that could *really* help are ignored.

Cheers!

C4.

Also, part of the problem with keeping threads active in Suggestions are the board rules. Constantly bumping is frowned on, posting saying "I like it!" without more substance is *strongly* frowned on (I think its against board rules now, in fact).... and once a suggestion is worked out... there's nothing more to discuss!

It's allowed in Suggestions. It's not allowed in BSA.

And we don't mind bumping every few weeks, although it is kind to delete old bump posts so there aren't just pages of bumps.