Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

It took me about 3 or 4 months before I realized there was a forum (yeah.... looking at the menu buttons, right? biggrin.gif ) back in 2009.

I hadn't even thought it might be something worth looking for. And now I check it everyday.

Perhaps it's something which can be included in the joining mail? Do players (still) get that? I can't remember smile.gif

Why not just add a "Current News" section on the main cave? Something that would have TJ's news post, but nothing else. So those who don't check the forums / can't check the forums can see?

As for cave releases...... I dislike the random ones. But I lived for years with them in the cave, so its not like I'd leave if some were added.

However, let me second the call for a Cave Calendar. Either on the forums, or better yet, have it be a page in the main Cave, so everyone can see it.

Cheers!

C4.

If parents won't let children go onto a forum, why are they letting thme play a game about collecting dragons without giving them information first?

If TJ really wants the Help section to serve as that, then he should do that, and not focus so much on the forum-oriented aspects of the game. My whole point is saying that you need the forums to understand anything about the game -- if you don't have access to it, why are you playing DC? Aside from the basics, you can't access clicksites, killing your eggs. You can't play the game without the forum & clicksites (or you'll have an incredibly hard time trying).

If parents won't let children go onto a forum, why are they letting thme play a game about collecting dragons without giving them information first?

If TJ really wants the Help section to serve as that, then he should do that, and not focus so much on the forum-oriented aspects of the game. My whole point is saying that you need the forums to understand anything about the game -- if you don't have access to it, why are you playing DC? Aside from the basics, you can't access clicksites, killing your eggs. You can't play the game without the forum & clicksites (or you'll have an incredibly hard time trying).

He is expanding the help section and addressing problems brought up, so I'm not sure what you're point is in telling him to do something he's already doing?

Many parents help their kids eggs hatch. As well, you don't need the forum for fansites. Googling "dragcave clicksites" brings up the wiki as well as several clicksites.

~

I agree that I like adding news announcements to the cave, though.

That's not really true. You can easily play the game without being part of the forum. I use to, and many people still do raise their dragons using other forums. You can also use facebook and other social media, though I don't know how well that would work seeing as I do not use social media sites.

Why the bleep shouldn't children play a game about collecting dragons ? mad.gif

The forum, on the other hand, does have a lot of things on it that many parents would rather their children didn't read. Almost all you need to know you CAN find out on the scroll help pages. I played for a while before I signed up to the forum. I don't remember how I found about about fan sites - but I certainly used AOND and the long lamented Linked Scales before I came here. You certainly CAN do so, and you certainly do not "need the forums to understand anything about the game".

The game should not BE "forum-oriented" - and on the whole it isn't. News is a small issue, but the only really FORUM thing is trading. You can find hatcheries without the forums - given that the help page does mention them, google will find them. (I just tried and got loads of hits.)

Fuzzbucket said it perfectly.

DC is a simple GAME, that can and IS played 100% without the forums. I didn't participate in the forums when I first signed up; I raised my eggs just fine by posting them in my sig on two different forums I was already on (forums that are, I should add, kid-friendly). And that was loooong before the "Help" page that we have now, too. A simple egg-raising game shouldn't *need* complicated forum-navigation in order to play; IF DC was a forum-based game, it should *say* so on the front page, like many other online games do.

As it is, the oversights I've already mentioned are rather small. Annoying, but small. It's 100% possible to play EVERY aspect of DC with no forum account (even trading can be conducted through certain fansites).

As much as I *love* this forum, if I had a child I'd be *very* wary of letting them on here. This isn't *just* a forum about how to best play the game, there are many many topics in General Discussion that children really shouldn't have access to.

Edited by Marie19R

My biggest problem with the forum is all the drama.. and yes, I admit that I've caused a bit myself over the years. Lately tho, I've done my best to avoid the drama and the trouble it causes by limiting which forums I visit.

News.. only to read the OP of any new News post

BSA.. just to add my opinion to any new suggestions that come along

Suggestions.. ditto

Breeding.. for the lineages

Trading.. only on occasion when I catch or breed something really nice.

All other forums I avoid like the plague, especially the discussion forums. I tried being part of the Mentoring program, but my playstyle isn't popular and I don't have patience for kids or know-it-alls.

This is also one of the most unfriendly forums I've ever been a member of. There are way too many know-it-alls, TJ fanatics and other folk who'd rather argue than seek a compromise.

So it's a VERY GOOD thing if TJ is working on Help and Info for the game itself that does NOT include the forums. If News posts were also posted on the game site, I might just quit the forums alltogether.. because I could do without suggestions and lineages if I had to.

Why not just add a "Current News" section on the main cave? Something that would have TJ's news post, but nothing else. So those who don't check the forums / can't check the forums can see?

Oh wow, I think that's brilliant!

Oh, I like this ^^ idea!

As for cave releases...... I dislike the random ones. But I lived for years with them in the cave, so its not like I'd leave if some were added.
I agree smile.gif

However, let me second the call for a Cave Calendar. Either on the forums, or better yet, have it be a page in the main Cave, so everyone can see it.

Cheers!

C4.

There actually is a calendar right here on the forums although the only information in there is about past holiday events. The Valentines event isn't there yet, of course because TJ hasn't announced it yet biggrin.gif. But the scheduled releases from last year weren't included in the forum either......

I do agree it would be good to have a calendar in the Cave (too) so that people who don't/can't use the forum will be able to see what's (going to) happen(ing).

Oh wow, I think that's brilliant!

Couldn't agree more !

my biggest issue with the cave/forum right now is how scarce TJ actually replies to things and slowly news is put out.

theres always so many suggestions and he replies to like one thing every other day. this is his site he should be more interactive with the people on it.

i realize thats rude but really now. no news at all lately and i alkost never see him involved in threads. theres not enough interaction, most of the ideas put into this thread will go completely unnoticed.

I can see why he wouldn't keep replying to suggestions; he has said many times he likes to watch such threads to see what the feeling is. But at the moment, given that the site seems very shaky indeed, I;d rather he work on that. It just took me four attempts to influence, as i kept getting non existent pages and so on, and "dragons available for BSA" wouldn't load, and the like... And yesterday a slew of people couldn't even access their own scrolls.

Sure it would be nice to see more of TJ on the forum - but he does have a JOB, and I'd much rather he kept the cave and the actual GAME running than come in more often, just to say whether he likes this new BSA idea and so on...

Most on line games there is NO contact with those who run them.

LOADS of people don't collect 24/7/365.

One of the joys of dragcave is that you can come and go. Though it does take time to catch up sometimes.

I never said that you need to be very active - just that the game should not cater its releases to people who might or might not come back, but to the regulars.

Also, about raising on facebook: it almost killed the first egg i tried it with. rolleyes.gif

I never said that you need to be very active - just that the game should not cater its releases to people who might or might not come back, but to the regulars.

Also, about raising on facebook: it almost killed the first egg i tried it with. rolleyes.gif

I've always said facebook is a REALLY bad idea. This confirms it xd.png

I would never have put anything there, even if I ever went !

That's not really true. You can easily play the game without being part of the forum. I use to, and many people still do raise their dragons using other forums. You can also use facebook and other social media, though I don't know how well that would work seeing as I do not use social media sites.

Right. biggrin.gif

I loved to play DC without any Forum, for years. The only thing I really need are the Click - and View - Sides. It could be helpfully, to get the special dragons you need, when you play it together with your friends, in a comunity like this. And it's much more fun to raise some nice lineages or getting the informations quickly.

Btw, what about the Cave ~ Why did it work so slowly and with many fails? I can't name my dragons today and it's real hard work to influence the eggs. Of course the Views - Sides don't work well and the dragons grow a bit slower. blink.gif *sorry* I've founded the right theme

Oh, forgott this: the idea about a small info, like a calendar or a "Current News", is great.

I've thought about this at every event. Now, it seems not fair to me, for users without a forum-account. In the present, I've lost some new released dragons and I've learned to be warned, for each weekend, to get to some space and take a close look at the habitats. Most of the collecting games are proud to present their newest fun-actions. So I've wonderd why DC don't try to animate their players, with such tiny informations.

Edited by MyMelody

PMs are so tiny and hard to miss. What I think would be a great tweak is to somehow make that portion bigger and more noticeable, or even a way to put it on your scroll that you have new messages (only for the scroll owner to see). I don't know what kind of coding it would take to put that on everyone's scrolls, or what would be involved, but if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle, that would be really great!

PMs are so tiny and hard to miss. What I think would be a great tweak is to somehow make that portion bigger and more noticeable, or even a way to put it on your scroll that you have new messages (only for the scroll owner to see). I don't know what kind of coding it would take to put that on everyone's scrolls, or what would be involved, but if it wouldn't be too much of a hassle, that would be really great!

You can set your preferences to give you a pop up message when you get one....

You can set your preferences to give you a pop up message when you get one....

lol. I didn't know that, I always just make sure I have yahoo messenger open when I'm doing trades so I get the email notification that I received a message. that would be much simpler

I find that I really love the serendipity of the Alts and the breed only dragons (such as Soulpeace or Shallow Water).

Also, if the buzz on the forum is correct, there are lots of sprites that haven't been released.

So . . . Is there anyone else that would love to see:

• More Breed-only dragon types, especially made up of breeding common dragons.
  • The possibility of "lineage" children, for instance getting an egg that is like a grandparent or great grandparent egg.
  • Alts of some of the existing Common Eggs
  • or some breeds that have a same shape to both sexes, have a different shape for one of them.
  • Alts that are Different poses . . . so there could be several different positions for some sprites
  • Alts for some of the Pygmy dragons, and maybe make their sprites a little larger and more detailed.
  • Colored descendents (like the stripe, where breed only colors can occur.
  • More Alts for some of the existing versions . . . like seasonal Alts for the Dark Green Garden Dragons. For instance, they could have the possibility of looking like a holiday bush in winter or be a patch of tulips or some cactus with blooms.

How about a

• Typhoon Egg (Thunder and any Eastern Dragon, or any Water Dragon)
  • Hurricane Dragon (Thunder and a western Water dragon of some sort)
  • Special Alts that can occur with the children of Holiday dragons . . . that can only happen when it's NOT a holiday.
  • Color Wheel Dragons, Parents are primary colors, or CMYK colors and children are the combination colors. For instance, a Red and Blue dragon make a Purple one, A Green (made up of Blue and Yellow) can breed with a blue and make an Aqua one. There could be primary, secondary, and tertiary colors from the Color wheel. Maybe a tiny chance of getting the complimentary color.
  • Random Metallic Alts. . . it's children are Copper, Titanium, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Tin, etc.

A BSA that is "polinate and plant the tiny seedlike egg" that works sort of like bite. But this one has a possibility of creating a random type of Garden (dark green) dragon.

Anyone else have any ideas?

This would not in ANY way reduce the number of dragons waiting for release, which were created as dragons in their own right, not as sprites to be used for something else. You can't just take a dragon and say OK that will be a hybrid from this one and that one.

That said, I'd love more hybrids. Why don't you post an actual dragon request for one of these ?

Also, if the buzz on the forum is correct, there are lots of sprites that haven't been released. 

That would be the completed dragons list, located here: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=35579 Keep in mind that some sprites have been on this list for 5 years, and have not been released yet.

[*]The possibility of "lineage" children, for instance getting an egg that is like a grandparent or great grandparent egg.

Currently the only dragon that can do this, is the Ultraviolet.

Alts of some of the existing Common Eggs

You would need the spriter's consent to alter their work.

or some breeds that have a same shape to both sexes, have a different shape for one of them.

Not every species needs dimorphism. If this were to happen, you would need the consent of the spriter as well.

Alts that are Different poses . . . so there could be several different positions for some sprites

Again, see above. You would also need more sprites made, which does take time.

Alts for some of the Pygmy dragons, and maybe make their sprites a little larger and more detailed.

They are called Pygmies for a reason. Any larger and they would be normal dragons.

More Alts for some of the existing versions . . . like seasonal Alts for the Dark Green Garden Dragons.  For instance, they could have the possibility of looking like a holiday bush in winter or be a patch of tulips or some cactus with blooms.

This is up to the spriter, and will take time as well.

How about a

Typhoon Egg (Thunder and any Eastern Dragon, or any Water Dragon)

Hurricane Dragon (Thunder and a western Water dragon of some sort)

Special Alts that can occur with the children of Holiday dragons . . . that can only happen when it's NOT a holiday.

Color Wheel Dragons, Parents are primary colors, or CMYK colors and children are the combination colors.  For instance, a Red and Blue dragon make a Purple one, A Green (made up of Blue and Yellow) can breed with a blue and make an Aqua one.  There could be primary, secondary, and tertiary colors from the Color wheel.  Maybe a tiny chance of getting the complimentary color.

Random Metallic Alts. . . it's children are Copper, Titanium, Gold, Silver, Bronze, Tin, etc.

A BSA that is "polinate and plant the tiny seedlike egg" that works sort of like bite.  But this one has a possibility of creating a random type of Garden (dark green) dragon. 

Anyone else have any ideas?

For this part, you can make suggestions in the dragon requests section. Keep in mind you can have a max of 2 topics that are WIPs (works in progress). After one topic is completed, you can start another. You do not need to be an artist to bring your concept to life, that is what sketchers are for!

Edited by xeyla

Thank you for your replies, though I will be frank, I feel about 2 inches tall right now.

So . . .

It's absolutely NEVER a possibility that one of the "finished" dragons could be changed at all? Even with the permission of the spriter? Some of the dragons, On the list, there are some lovely dragons that could be very nice as a cross between a white and gray or a pink and green etc. I don't agree that there would have to be "new" projects. I can't imagine a spriter that wouldn't be happy to get their dragon in as a special hybrid.

So . . .

Every alt would have to be a totally new project, I find this confusing.

So . . .

Would the "permission of the spriter be so difficult to obtain? Are they perceived as being . . . inflexible or just plain cranky? Of course, I couldn't know this . . . I'm making suggestions that We've spent time on.

My daughter and I play this game together . . . most of these ideas are hers. She's a very enthusiastic and creative girl. A very special 12 year old.

Edited by Gladtobemom

This would not in ANY way reduce the number of dragons waiting for release, which were created as dragons in their own right, not as sprites to be used for something else. You can't just take a dragon and say OK that will be a hybrid from this one and that one.

That said, I'd love more hybrids. Why don't you post an actual dragon request for one of these ?

I'm confused about "not in ANY way"

When I look at the list of completed dragons, several of them are already listed as being hybrids.

For instance Amour Propre

If these were released, it would certainly reduce the number waiting for release.

Edited by Gladtobemom