Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

The only issue I see with this is that some people have different forum and scroll names for a reason. ^^

When you edit your profile there is a box where you are asked to enter your scroll name with the following message:

"Dragon Cave Username

The username you use to log into the main site. This will only be made visible to global moderators and administrators."

What if instead it looked something like:

"Dragon Cave Username

The username you use to log into the main site. This will be made visible to

*checkbox* Global moderators and administrators only

*checkbox* All DC moderators and administrators only

*checkbox* All DC moderators, administrators, and DC forum members only

and you would check which one of the three options you prefer. You would be required to choose one of the 3 options because, no matter what, global moderators and administrators will be allowed to see your scroll name.

Would something like this work? This way, those who don't want their scroll name visible to the general public are protected and those who would like to have their scroll name visibly linked to their forum account so any DC member can see it would be able to share this information.

Edited by F.ury

When you edit your profile there is a box where you are asked to enter your scroll name with the following message:

"Dragon Cave Username

The username you use to log into the main site. This will only be made visible to global moderators and administrators."

What if instead it looked something like:

"Dragon Cave Username

The username you use to log into the main site. This will be made visible to

*checkbox* Global moderators and administrators only

*checkbox* All DC moderators and administrators only

*checkbox* All DC moderators, administrators, and DC forum members only

and you would check which one of the three options you prefer

Would something like this work? This way, those who don't want their scroll name visible to the general public are protected and those who would like to have their scroll name visibly linked to their forum account so any DC member can see it would be able to share this information.

So they'd have to check one of those, right? Since I'm not okay with being able to hide it from the admin. I'd be fine with allowing/disallowing users to see the username, perhaps also if possible the option to change to the other in the future.

So they'd have to check one of those, right? Since I'm not okay with being able to hide it from the admin. I'd be fine with allowing/disallowing users to see the username, perhaps also if possible the option to change to the other in the future.

Yes, you'd be required to choose one of the three options. The global moderators and the admin will see your scroll name no matter what. In addition to these people, users would just have the options of allowing all other DC moderators (but not other members) to see their scroll name or they could choose to allow all forum members to see their scroll name.

There would be a very easy solution to the scroll name:

add another custom profile field called "public scrollname" - "if you enter your scrollname here, it will be publicly visible.

Then set it to display on profile and to the left of your post, and add http://dragcave.net/user/[scrollname] for better direct-linking.

(every board supports this in one way or another, so there's probably no actual work to be done on that kind of solution)

There would be a very easy solution to the scroll name:

add another custom profile field called "public scrollname" - "if you enter your scrollname here, it will be publicly visible.

Then set it to display on profile and to the left of your post, and add http://dragcave.net/user/[scrollname] for better direct-linking.

(every board supports this in one way or another, so there's probably no actual work to be done on that kind of solution)

And there we have, a simple solution without actually overthinking... I over thougth it and I should know I have had a board in the past.

Every member that signs up gets the message"Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts."

Does it help find thier scroll name? Yes, do members do it? No. It also does not provide an easy search solution.

Well, some people don't want their scroll to be seen, but as the others said, there COULD be an addictional option to make a scroll link visible.

Maybe under the General member information (under their avatar)

Group: [Group]

Member No.: [Number]

Scroll: (insert scroll Name which can be clicked and links to the scroll)?

Would that work? And only for those that actually click the option to show their scroll.

Would it be possible to search for the scroll name if it was inserted in this way? Because that's what the initial suggestion was about:

I would like the forum to have the ability to look up a person by scroll name.  Sometime I see a lineage that I LOVE and I see the scroll, but the name they've chosen here is different from what they've named their scroll.

Would it be possible to search for the scroll name if it was inserted in this way? Because that's what the initial suggestion was about:

directly? probably not. in the members menu (top right), the "search all available" function is broken. this is where I'd expect it to be, but that has not worked for me ever since on this forum.

but you can always Google for the scrollname like this:

".site:forums.dragcave.net user/patterns" (my scrollname is a little hard to find without additional user/, as it obviously is used heavily in breeding and lineage threads. smile.gif )

But none of that will help you find someone like me, who hides their scroll name on their dragons. I do it because I don't want people stalking my scroll if I catch something nice/rare in the Cave or AP or "helping" if I do an ND exp, but in some ways it's over-kill. It'd be great if I could hide my scroll name on my growing things, but show it on my adults/frozens. Then, if someone sees I bred a nice lineage they can PM me about it, but I don't have to worry as much about people stalking any rares I might catch.

directly? probably not. in the members menu (top right), the "search all available" function is broken. this is where I'd expect it to be, but that has not worked for me ever since on this forum.

Yeah, I have no idea what the "all available" field is for. You have to select one of the other options for results to narrow. The other options work fine.

I think it would be fine if the thread emphasized more the point of the game (which is to leave an egg if you take one) - and tbh I think it should - but I also don't think the thread is going to work unless users can accept that, although not everybody is going to play by the rules, most people are going to, and the generosity of those who give but don't take or those who give more than they take should even out those who don't take at all.

Unfortunately, there's nothing mods can do to punish those who don't give back to the thread, though. That's why trading can be so messy. Because it is one of the closest merges of site + forum and there's really not much mods are in charge of on the site. All we can do is mod descriptions, really.

For rules (as someone asked for my suggestions before I disappeared for the weekend), I do not think we are going to go back to allowing two-ways whatsoever. Call outs happened with and without callouts so we may as well avoid the trade demands and stick to gifting. Perhaps the thread might allow PMs for dragons again (which I see some users have suggested)?

Thank you for the clarification. smile.gif I think this was all we were looking for, a clear statement of what changes will and will not be allowed. And these restrictions sound very fair.

I wish there was an option to just display the month and day of your birth on our profiles. I want people to be able to see my birthday, but not birth year.

I wish there was an option to just display the month and day of your birth on our profiles. I want people to be able to see my birthday, but not birth year.

Just use 1900 for your birth year. Trust me, no-one would believe that you were.... xd.png

Yo what's with the super small PM inbox??

200 PM's.... I'd much rather leave PM's there to read later then delete them and forget important info :/

I have 3000 allowed on another forum, and I'm no mod there. Maybe I'm just spoiled? tongue.gif

That's really my only gripe about this forum.

It's all good everywhere else.

(Seriously, TJ, can we get a bigger inbox plz?)

Yo what's with the super small PM inbox??

200 PM's.... I'd much rather leave PM's there to read later then delete them and forget important info :/

I have 3000 allowed on another forum, and I'm no mod there. Maybe I'm just spoiled? tongue.gif

That's really my only gripe about this forum.

It's all good everywhere else.

(Seriously, TJ, can we get a bigger inbox plz?)

There's a closed thread about this here: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=57796 I believe no one ever had a convincing argument for TJ to implement. Around page for or so he posted a bit, so I believe/think the thread was probably closed because:

-People shouldn't have to be cleaning out that often (when TJ posted he managed a complete clear once a week and that was fine).

-People were arguing that an increased limit would help the problem of the inbox clearing up already, but people with increased sizes, such as mods, were also pointed out to have the same problem of the inbox getting full, which shows that increasing the limit doesn't solve the problem.

I think the best thing to do is just clean out chatter as you reply to it or make use of archiving messages. ^^

Ugh I would really like increased space ;n; Though it probably still wouldn't help, unfortunately! There are just some things that I'd like to keep track of, but I DON'T want to archive them. I don't want to clutter my computer with excel files or anything else, for that matter! It's cluttered enough and that's *after* I cleaned it out and try to keep it clean. So all I can do is try to delete unimportant PMs (and trust me, I try to do this a lot! I probably need to go through right now and get rid of some unimportant things again) but I can't do it forever. :\

200 still seems kind of small, though I suppose I've had that limit on lots of other sites. It's just annoyingly small imo. :U

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Ugh I would really like increased space ;n; Though it probably still wouldn't help, unfortunately! There are just some things that I'd like to keep track of, but I DON'T want to archive them. I don't want to clutter my computer with excel files or anything else, for that matter! It's cluttered enough and that's *after* I cleaned it out and try to keep it clean. So all I can do is try to delete unimportant PMs (and trust me, I try to do this a lot! I probably need to go through right now and get rid of some unimportant things again) but I can't do it forever. :\

200 still seems kind of small, though I suppose I've had that limit on lots of other sites. It's just annoyingly small imo. :U

Basically, this c:

There's a closed thread about this here: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=57796 I believe no one ever had a convincing argument for TJ to implement. Around page for or so he posted a bit, so I believe/think the thread was probably closed because:

-People shouldn't have to be cleaning out that often (when TJ posted he managed a complete clear once a week and that was fine).

-People were arguing that an increased limit would help the problem of the inbox clearing up already, but people with increased sizes, such as mods, were also pointed out to have the same problem of the inbox getting full, which shows that increasing the limit doesn't solve the problem.

I think the best thing to do is just clean out chatter as you reply to it or make use of archiving messages. ^^

Interesting read.

So it seems that since TJ only has to clean out his inbox once per week, he's content with the size limit.

I don't want to offend, but it seems as if he brushed off the idea and users who really need the added space with:

"If I have to clear it once a week, most peoples' boxes should fill up much slower.

If you have to clear it once a day, then you're getting too many PMs."

I would assume because he knows that a server/storage upgrade would be inevitable if the limits was increased.

With 64,814 members and growing, space will become a concern at some point.....

Just one FYI - if this could have anything to do with the software - if he updated invision - we couldn't archive messages at all. That, to me, would be a zillion times worse than a number limit.

But let's be honest with ourselves here - when did you last look at the ones at the end of your list ? Why do we NEED to store so many ?

Perhaps on some forums especially where you are wanting feedback on things and suggestions it might be good to have a "Like" button.

That way you know if a suggestion gets a LOT of likes that it's something folk really want.

Perhaps you could add some sort of poll function to things.

Anyway those are just my thoughts.

Once upon a time we had polls in suggestions. TJ disabled them as he said it was more effective for him to read threads; as he says, a tiny minority of players would actually be voting, so it wouldn't be representative.

I'd have thought if someone comes to a thread and likes a suggestion, they can post to show that they like it - and crucially, why. Like buttons tend to be knee jerk things,and I hate them, myself !

Does no one else remember that TJ did increase our PM box space? I think it was shortly after that discussion where he said if he didn't need it no one should. IIRC the number of messages we could have was doubled at that time. I used to fill up all the time before that, but the new limit means I am cleaning much less often.

Does no one else remember that TJ did increase our PM box space? I think it was shortly after that discussion where he said if he didn't need it no one should. IIRC the number of messages we could have was doubled at that time. I used to fill up all the time before that, but the new limit means I am cleaning much less often.

Now that you've mentioned it, I do recall that happening.

Regardless, from my own experience, the amount of available storage space of anything is inversely proportional to the motivation of cleaning up. At the end if you're not the type who cleans up regularly regardless of space, chances are doubling the current storage space will only end up with doubling the amount of PMs clogging your inbox.

Edited by CNR4806

Spot on. My SO built me a HUGE cupboard so I could put things in it and tidy out my study.

It all looked lovely. Cupboard only about 1/4 full, study neat as all get out. That was but a year ago. Cupboard is FULL and study as full of MORE stuff as ever.

I think it matters not how much space we are given, we will only complain that it isn't enough.

Edited by fuzzbucket