Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

IIRC, we actually only used to be able to store 50 PMs total. The new number is MUCH better. While I would always like to have more space... the increased space does mean I'm cleaning out/archiving far less often than I used to.

And yeah, it is true that however much space I have, I still want to hang on to more, and never feel like cleaning out. xd.png

Interesting read.

So it seems that since TJ only has to clean out his inbox once per week, he's content with the size limit.

I don't want to offend, but it seems as if he brushed off the idea and users who really need the added space with:

"If I have to clear it once a week, most peoples' boxes should fill up much slower.

If you have to clear it once a day, then you're getting too many PMs."

I would assume because he knows that a server/storage upgrade would be inevitable if the limits was increased.

With 64,814 members and growing, space will become a concern at some point.....

Personally, I understand your gripe (and agree with you) in more ways than one.

Since it's probably not going to change here, you could do what I do - I use a forum feature called a "Guild" on another site to store everything important. It has WAY more features than DC's forums, and far more flexibility. You could try and find something like that to store information without having to save it to your HD or email.

Another option of course is email. Most email providers allow for FAR more storage than anyone actually needs/uses, and many times what DC allows.

But let's be honest with ourselves here - when did you last look at the ones at the end of your list ? Why do we NEED to store so many ?

I have my reasons for keeping them that I don't think I need to explain. I don't want to archive them since that would take up space on my computer that I don't want happening or needing to use something off-site that I would never check.

However, I do agree with CNR. As much as I want more space, I don't think any "limit" would be enough!

But let's be honest with ourselves here - when did you last look at the ones at the end of your list ? Why do we NEED to store so many ?

The only really old message I kept was my letter saying I was added to the ARK list. Otherwise I delete everything as soon as the trade or whatever business way finished. Things that take awhile, or have multiple issues, I usually make a note on the buddies list to remind me.

I honestly do not understand how people can fill up the inbox and say it's all still relevant. I had a whole 15 messages from the massive trading spree I did with Halloweens before I cleaned them out. (now I have 4, the ark message above and 3 pending Christmas trades)

I keep any really important messages on Google Drive. Most of my PMs are from trading and are of no relevance later on. I don't really have any need for a larger inbox.

I honestly do not understand how people can fill up the inbox and say it's all still relevant.

Lots of private spriting projects on my end. I want to eventually move most conversations over to skype, though. I also keep my accepted and (sometimes) rejected dragon requests. I have certain other secret things in there, too. I usually try to keep only the relevant/otherwise important things and delete the rest.

I COULD move stuff to google drive or some such place but if it's out of sight, it's out of mind; I don't go there frequently enough or have any reason to go so I never remember. It wouldn't work for me. I don't particularly like using normal email; my main is cluttered and I still need to fix it, my school one is strictly for school, and I have a third that I pretty much never use because it requires logging out of my school one to get to, which I don't bother with doing because I use my school one far too frequently. I only have the third one for writing the occasional youtube comment, as since the comments update youtube refuses to let me do anything without having the whole google account junk. :\

And trust me, those secret projects are VERY relevant.

I take back all I have said.

I did not know I could download my PM's as an Excel worksheet.

That I like, so props to TJ for that, and apologies if I caused any offense.

I can live with 200 PM's since I now know I can download them. smile.gif

Lots of private spriting projects on my end. I want to eventually move most conversations over to skype, though. I also keep my accepted and (sometimes) rejected dragon requests. I have certain other secret things in there, too. I usually try to keep only the relevant/otherwise important things and delete the rest.

I COULD move stuff to google drive or some such place but if it's out of sight, it's out of mind; I don't go there frequently enough or have any reason to go so I never remember. It wouldn't work for me. I don't particularly like using normal email; my main is cluttered and I still need to fix it, my school one is strictly for school, and I have a third that I pretty much never use because it requires logging out of my school one to get to, which I don't bother with doing because I use my school one far too frequently. I only have the third one for writing the occasional youtube comment, as since the comments update youtube refuses to let me do anything without having the whole google account junk. :\

And trust me, those secret projects are VERY relevant.

What I try to do - and what helps a lot - is try to make sure messages and replies stay in one message kind of. That saves a LOT of space ! One message with to and fro stuff about a trade or an IOU - and delete all the earlier ones. I take your point about out of mind, but even so....

What I try to do - and what helps a lot - is try to make sure messages and replies stay in one message kind of. That saves a LOT of space ! One message with to and fro stuff about a trade or an IOU - and delete all the earlier ones. I take your point about out of mind, but even so....

While that's easier with trades, spriting has images, lots of crit, and general discussion that take up a LOT of space in a message to the point where the conversation gets ridiculous.

I delete anything repeated, though, even stuff out of the sent messages.

I would like to say again that I'm not really advocating for more space...just saying what my situation is and why I am running out of space very frequently.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Oh SPRITING. You win. xd.png

VERY secret. And very talkative.

Because my memory sucks, I've always preferred to keep messages from people who have gifted me and would like to gift back when I breed something potentially suitable, people to whom I've gifted from various lines or would like to gift, messages containing people's important personal details, etc., as well as much gifting/breeding/trading info.

If I can skim down messages with names/dates showing/available in my inbox, I'm much more likely to remember/find such details...

It has came to my attention that the subforums of Suggestions/Requests still have the "New Poll" function active, despite TJ's statement of preferring to read posts rather than the non-representative polls and the disabling of new polls on the main S/R board.

I believe they still serve purposes in Dragon Request (e.g. "which sketch/sprite should this concept go with"), but the BSA board is similar enough to the main S/R board in nature that it makes little sense to still have polls enabled.

It has came to my attention that the subforums of Suggestions/Requests still have the "New Poll" function active, despite TJ's statement of preferring to read posts rather than the non-representative polls and the disabling of new polls on the main S/R board.

I believe they still serve purposes in Dragon Request (e.g. "which sketch/sprite should this concept go with"), but the BSA board is similar enough to the main S/R board in nature that it makes little sense to still have polls enabled.

Yes, I have to agree that I see no need for them in any of the subforums, excluding DR. It's much much much easier using a poll to choose things in DR than having users post...as many people prefer not to post. I'm not sure why Merch even *needs* it (not like it gets enough traffic to make much difference), and BSAs seem very very similar to general suggestions.

I do have to say, though, that some polls in DR seem to just be "do you like this dragon" rather than actually choosing from certain choices about some aspect of the dragon.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

It's possible/probable that this has already been suggested, but I hope it will be understood that 166 pages is too many to scroll through.

A lot of long-time users have long hiatuses, then come back and would like folks to be aware of that. Currently, there is nowhere in the forums to post an "I'm back" thread without it being spam. While the potential for abuse of such threads definitely exists-- being gone for a week or a month is not comparable to being gone for over a year-- that sounds like a problem that's pretty easy to moderate. These threads should exist, and work just like introduction threads, minus the copy-pasted moderator welcome statement.

My request is that there be an official place for returning-user threads.

Since they are nearly identical to new-user threads, my suggestion is to have them in the Introduce Yourself subforum. Alternatively, since Introduce Yourself is pretty strictly regulated, a thread in Introduce Yourself or in Site Discussion where returning users can post and other users can welcome them back, pinned so that it won't get buried when there's a long stretch between returning users.

Edited by ArynChris

Why does it need comments and welcome backs ? I can get that for scared NEW users, but returners already know the place and don't REALLY (let's be honest) need to hear "great to see you again" except by PM.

Maybe a simple notification thread where you can simply post that you are back, and comments like welcome back rate as spam. Then everyone else can look quickly to see who's back, without all the individual threads being buried as fast as they are created ?

Another forum I am on actually has a thread for "where is x" and people find it very useful.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Why does it need comments and welcome backs ? I can get that for scared NEW users, but returners already know the place and don't REALLY (let's be honest) need to hear "great to see you again" except by PM.

Maybe a simple notification thread where you can simply post that you are back, and comments like welcome back rate as spam. Then everyone else can look quickly to see who's back, without all the individual threads being buried as fast as they are created ?

I agree 100% with this.

Also, if you return and become active again on the forum it really won't take too long before the people you had contact with before will notice you.

I also agree with this and see no need for a new thread. It just seems kind of self-serving. They were gone, now they're back. I'm glad, but let's not make a production out of it.

Forum feedback

Mods: I do not have anything negative to say. You do your job well for humans.

TJ: While I understand you have to keep some information as secret and keep your howshouldIsayit position as Bossman I wish you would post your opinion more often, especially in the S/R threads. Sometimes the users write and write and write & it goes forth and back and they never hear from you.

Community: Yo...there are some cool & friendly people here. I still like another small but amazing DC community more, sorry <3

Things I'd like to see if we ever get a new forum software

- "Block topic" button

- "Block user" button (as in, "do not display this user's posts" => if not blocking all posts, please consider giving us a block button for users in some forum areas! PLEASE)

- ability to upload let's say 3 own Avatars which are going to be saved instead of always having to upload a new one

- ability to post videos in signatures

- forum-chat (not IRC, I mean something like Facebook has)

Please not videos in sigs. Some sigs already make the page take an age to load and it is a shame to have to block all sigs to avoid videos. Sorry mondat, but...

Yes to the ignore user button, though! Unless it would mean an upgrade to invision 3 which is just too horrible!

Edited by fuzzbucket

- forum-chat (not IRC, I mean something like Facebook has)

Who would mod it... forum mods or chat mods? I'm not sure I would enjoy modding two locations. The IRC at least has years of practice getting it right. When people disagree with how things are done, we do at least revisit our rules and tweak them... and if it were to happen on the forums, it would be bound by forum rules in addition to our chat rules... I cant see that being anything more than sheer chaos.

Who would mod it... forum mods or chat mods? I'm not sure I would enjoy modding two locations. The IRC at least has years of practice getting it right. When people disagree with how things are done, we do at least revisit our rules and tweak them... and if it were to happen on the forums, it would be bound by forum rules in addition to our chat rules... I cant see that being anything more than sheer chaos.

If it'd need moderators I do not want it. To be more specific about what I mean: I am not talking about a chat room for all forum people - although this would be kinda nice too. I am talking about an "online/offline" icon under everybody's Avatar and the option to open a chat window and talk with 1 or more people at the same time. (I do admit, I have no idea if there's a forum software which supports something like this - as me not being such an internet animal - but one can dream laugh.gif )

While I understand we can use PMs and have no problem with cleaning up my inbox, I sometimes wish I could deal with things in a quicker and unlimited way. Make a post in "Departures" for instance and write: "I take breeding requests for 2Gs from holidays, chat me up".

If that's not possible, could we have an "online/offline" icon at least, please?

I am talking about an "online/offline" icon under everybody's Avatar and the option to open a chat window and talk with 1 or more people at the same time. (I do admit, I have no idea if there's a forum software which supports something like this - as me not being such an internet animal - but one can dream :lol: )

Can't you just use the IRC to have a private conversation? I think I would hate it if I had kept getting pop up boxes because someone wants to chat. :\

Besides, if people *do* want to chat, that's what the AIM links and such are for! If someone doesn't want people chatting, they have them disabled. You could even share contact information on Facebook if you want that Facebook-like feature.

And anyway I kind of doubt the forum software has anything like that, or even plans on implementing it.

There would have to be a way to disable it, I do all of my browsing almost exclusively over mobile and the forum is enough of a hassle for me to use (Its hardly mobile-friendly at all) without having chat boxes that I'm fairly certain would give me tons of issues just for mobile browsing popping up.

The idea is nice, though. I'm at least all for 'online' notices, it would make gifting eggs and such so much easier.

We had online/offline markers for a short time, but if I recall they caused some other glitchy problem and so they were removed.