Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

There would have to be a way to disable it, I do all of my browsing almost exclusively over mobile and the forum is enough of a hassle for me to use (Its hardly mobile-friendly at all) without having chat boxes that I'm fairly certain would give me tons of issues just for mobile browsing popping up.

The idea is nice, though. I'm at least all for 'online' notices, it would make gifting eggs and such so much easier.

I am all for flexibility. I'd love to be able to browse the forum while having the chat function turned off. An option to have only some friends on some list being able to chat with you would be nice, too. Let´s get pampered by TJ xd.png

Can't you just use the IRC to have a private conversation?(...)

Besides, if people *do* want to chat, that's what the AIM links and such are for! If someone doesn't want people chatting, they have them disabled. You could even share contact information on Facebook if you want that Facebook-like feature.

I am not on IRC, do not have AIM and Facebook. But I do have a forum account. If you do not want me to bring up the same arguments people are bringing up at the "have the news on the main site because not everybody wants to visit the forum" we better stop right here, love. <3 (and no, I am not being sarcastic with you)

If I feel something would make things better for me on this forum, this is the thread for posting it.

I am not on IRC, do not have AIM and Facebook. But I do have a forum account. If you do not want me to bring up the same arguments people are bringing up at the "have the news on the main site because not everybody wants to visit the forum" we better stop right here, love. <3 (and no, I am not being sarcastic with you)

If I feel something would make things better for me on this forum, this is the thread for posting it.

Nope these are different arguments. Similar yes as it's asking for a feature off-site to be on-site so you don't have to go somewhere else, but there's a big difference that makes them very separate.

The news being on the main site allows players to not have to go anywhere else for valuable information. A messaging system like what you described is *not* necessary, as there are already ways to communicate on the forum itself. While not specifically the kind of messaging you would like, there are still options that don't require you to go off-site.

as far as I know the software for ipb allows for an embedded mibbit irc chat. It can be clickable via a link in the forum. given that we already have an irc chat and a link to it, the suggestion would be to tweak it so one doesn't have to travel to site discussion to access the link to irc. they can just click a link at the top of the page.

so both sides would be happy. smile.gif one side gets to have their chat linked on the forums, and the other half doesn't have to see it on the forums when they browse it on their phone.

Besides which there are android chat clients for irc.

Edited by bluebell_rose

IIRC, the problem with the online/offline marker was software related. Not sure if it was IPB itself or a 2nd party type of addon.

phpBB supports exactly the type of marker that has been asked for, but I don't remember what TJ's reasoning for not using phpBB is.

*shrug* Some folk like one type of software, others like something else. They all have advantages and disadvantages.. it's up to TJ to decide what is best for DC. And from my experience, he isn't much on taking advice from others.. especially if he's already decided differently.

Nope these are different arguments. Similar yes as it's asking for a feature off-site to be on-site so you don't have to go somewhere else, but there's a big difference that makes them very separate.

The news being on the main site allows players to not have to go anywhere else for valuable information. A messaging system like what you described is *not* necessary, as there are already ways to communicate on the forum itself. While not specifically the kind of messaging you would like, there are still options that don't require you to go off-site.

You see, our views differ greatly. I think having the news on the main site is not really necessary as people just have to click one link to reach the DC forum (which belongs to DC in my opinion) & the news post and think the arguments for it are rather "weak" because they address rather complicated situations.

You think a new chat function for this forum is not necessary because we have PMs - which I mentioned myself - but I still would love to have something like this.

I do not want to use IRC to receive special bred eggs by people who actually have forum accounts alot.png

I do not want to use other sites to chat with people who have forum accounts alot.png

Therefore I would like to have a forum chat function! alot.png

And there's nothing wrong with that alot.png

wink.gif

I never said there was anything wrong with that? I'm fine with the suggestion but I don't think it needs to be implemented, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Geez I'm not trying to attack you or your opinions on wanting that. I'm just saying I don't that. If it's implemented I want to hide my online status and hopefully there will be a setting to turn off the chat is all. I just don't know if the forum supports it (maybe it does? idk). I don't think it's necessary. While you don't think news on the main site is necessary, it's still valuable information about the game that I think should be on the main site.

That's all.

I never said there was anything wrong with that? I'm fine with the suggestion but I don't think it needs to be implemented, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Geez I'm not trying to attack you or your opinions on wanting that. I'm just saying I don't that. If it's implemented I want to hide my online status and hopefully there will be a setting to turn off the chat is all. I just don't know if the forum supports it (maybe it does? idk). I don't think it's necessary. While you don't think news on the main site is necessary, it's still valuable information about the game that I think should be on the main site.

That's all.

I never said that you said that there is anything wrong with me wanting it.

Really, guys, do not take everything so seriously!

(That's exactly why we need a new chat function tongue.gif . If you all knew me better, we would be best friends!)

IIRC, the problem with the online/offline marker was software related. Not sure if it was IPB itself or a 2nd party type of addon.

phpBB supports exactly the type of marker that has been asked for, but I don't remember what TJ's reasoning for not using phpBB is.

*shrug* Some folk like one type of software, others like something else. They all have advantages and disadvantages.. it's up to TJ to decide what is best for DC. And from my experience, he isn't much on taking advice from others.. especially if he's already decided differently.

I don't know what the reasoning is, but if we got it back, I would want the ability to disable it. There are often times when I want to check something here but have no time to be contacted, and don't want to appear rude by failing to respond - just for one thing. And - well, quite often I just want to be anon !

Momdat - it you don't want to use AIM etc - there is always chatzy. http://www.chatzy.com/

Set up a room there and when you want to talk to someone, invite them in.

But even I have AIM - though I don't choose to use it here. Too much scope for bombardment with messages - which would be the exact same problem as having a chatty thing here. I've had to block a few people from PMing me - not because they were offensive; just because they WOULD keep filling my PM box with chatty things about breakfast and work and so on. I come here for dragons; a FEW people here I do chat to by PM - but I don't want this to be a place for FB-style nattering about everything.

We DO have IRC, and we can have private chats there. I can't see why anything else is needed - and since you take the view that the forum is part of the game site (and you know I disagree, but... biggrin.gif) then so is IRC part of the game site - so what more do we need ?

I don't know what the reasoning is, but if we got it back, I would want the ability to disable it. There are often times when I want to check something here but have no time to be contacted, and don't want to appear rude by failing to respond - just for one thing. And - well, quite often I just want to be anon !

AFAIK the "Don't add me to the active users list" option worked with the online status marker, if memory still serves right.

AFAIK the "Don't add me to the active users list" option worked with the online status marker, if memory still serves right.

Indeed. Just want to make SURE it remains an option wink.gifninja.gif

Just occasionally these things get forgotten !

Momdat - it you don't want to use AIM etc - there is always chatzy. http://www.chatzy.com/

Set up a room there and when you want to talk to someone, invite them in.

But even I have AIM - though I don't choose to use it here. Too much scope for bombardment with messages - which would be the exact same problem as having a chatty thing here. I've had to block a few people from PMing me - not because they were offensive; just because they WOULD keep filling my PM box with chatty things about breakfast and work and so on. I come here for dragons; a FEW people here I do chat to by PM - but I don't want this to be a place for FB-style nattering about everything.

We DO have IRC, and we can have private chats there. I can't see why anything else is needed - and since you take the view that the forum is part of the game site (and you know I disagree, but... biggrin.gif) then so is IRC part of the game site - so what more do we need ?

(Great typo of my username there. Once I get pregnant I change my username to 'Momdat'!)

Fuzzbucket, I am Momdat & I won't be directed to other sites where it is required of me to set things up when I can have everything right here & when you yourself fight for people who do not want to visit the DC forum in another thread alot.png

We should work together and not against each other alot.png

Therefore I propose an idea of having a site with all things: Game, news, forum & chat - with creating one account only alot.png

Yeah, but you got me somewhat there. We do have a - to quote -"Official DC Chat Room (IRC)".

And yes, I did try to use it in the past to see what it is after seeing a few people mentioning it and hearing that some people breed eggs for taking there. But, and I am not afraid to admit it - since I am perfectly imperfect -, once I got to this page my reaction was "What is this? I do not understand anything blink.gif" which was followed by a grumpy "Uh." So many rules, things to learn first. Then I assigned my priorities and judged it is not worth of my time. My English is ok but for a person who´s English is poorer than mine it should be impossible to join I guess (if there are such people that managed to join it, despite language problem and lack of lessons in "How to do the internets": "RESPECT!").

But anyway, as I wrote in my first post, this is something for "if we ever get a new forum software" and I just wanted to throw in things I´d like to see.

To quote TJ (since I do not want quote him without proof I looked for that post):

As with other suggestions that represent a significant change to the forum software:

I don't think it's a valuable use of time (mine or anyone's) to build new features on top of the current forums. If the forums change/are upgraded in the future, I'll be open to such requests.

Note "If the forums change/are upgraded(..)". We do not know if there will be any changes anyway.

Fair enough enough mondat xd.png - irc is official and quite useful but it does take time. But to have a forum chat is one thing. I don't actually mind one way or the other about that. But I will continue to argue for the game itself to be separate and for the forum to be no part of that. For all the reasons set out in that thread. I feel very strongly that it should never be necessary to take part in a forum in order to play a game. A game is just a game. It doesn't need discussion and chat.

Sorry about typos. My tablet has a strange attitude to auto text!

Edited by fuzzbucket

A while ago, there was a suggestion about a dragon size reference sheet. I'd really love to revive the topic now that we have the encyclopaedia (which I guess is what TJ meant with "That said, there are projects underway to expand the "site lore" (so to speak). Thanks for this feedback; I'll keep this sort of thing in mind as those projects progress." back then?), but I'm not sure if it would be OK to create a topic about that, given the old one is closed. Would that be OK? If not, would it be OK to ask the mods to reopen the old thread for new discussion purposes? smile.gif

A while ago, there was a suggestion about a dragon size reference sheet. I'd really love to revive the topic now that we have the encyclopaedia (which I guess is what TJ meant with "That said, there are projects underway to expand the "site lore" (so to speak). Thanks for this feedback; I'll keep this sort of thing in mind as those projects progress." back then?), but I'm not sure if it would be OK to create a topic about that, given the old one is closed. Would that be OK? If not, would it be OK to ask the mods to reopen the old thread for new discussion purposes? smile.gif

Since the site has changed with the encyclopedia, I'd rather a new thread be created. However, the encyclopedia isn't that old and I do believe TJ has kept that in mind as work on the encyclopedia progressed. So I don't think a thread is quite necessary yet, but if TJ chimes in and says he'd like to hear new thoughts on it, that'd be fine.

Thanks for your answer. So you'd say you'd rather not allow discussion on an on-site dragon size sheet/reference at current? (Just making sure I understand you correctly.) In that case, I'll leave it alone. smile.gif

It's something that is likely to happen at some point anyways, so a thread isn't needed.

Awesome news. Thanks for weighing in! smile.gif

Please open up a Prize-Only Trading thread - ALL gens and don't allow them in other Trading threads - except Even. Maybe that way we'll get our Trading Forum back, it's been pirated by Prizes for too long.

That way, all the 'Haves' need not rub elbows with 'The Masses' or 'The Public', and need to be de-loused. rolleyes.gif

Please open up a Prize-Only Trading thread - ALL gens and don't allow them in other Trading threads - except Even. Maybe that way we'll get our Trading Forum back, it's been pirated by Prizes for too long.

That way, all the 'Haves' need not rub elbows with 'The Masses' or 'The Public', and need to be de-loused. rolleyes.gif

I'd recommend a thread being made for this so that the idea doesn't get buried.

edit: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=166164 zaverxi made a thread

Edited by rubyshoes

I'm not sure if this belongs to site feedback or here, but anyway:

I'm somewhat unhappy how reports about a glitch with something that's clearly on the site (the thuwed waiting list - I'm not talking about the breeding itself, mind you) are declared as a "suggestion/help" thread about something that would be not "an official feature of the site".

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...0entry8749977

I don't know how to phrase it well in English, but this feels like a mistreatment. Something on the site was clearly broken, and we reported it to make TJ aware of this brokenness (even though this part has apparently no big importance to him). Where else if not in Help would we do that? What if the bugs on that page had been just symptoms of something that could have caused more trouble later on important parts of the site?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I'm not sure if this belongs to site feedback or here, but anyway:

I'm somewhat unhappy how reports about a glitch with something that's clearly on the site (the thuwed waiting list - I'm not talking about the breeding itself, mind you) are declared as a "suggestion/help" thread about something that would be not "an official feature of the site".

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...0entry8749977

I don't know how to phrase it well in English, but this feels like a mistreatment. Something on the site was clearly broken, and we reported it to make TJ aware of this brokenness (even though this part has apparently no big importance to him). Where else if not in Help would we do that? What if the bugs on that page had been just symptoms of something that could have caused more trouble later on important parts of the site?

I have to agree. I did actually PM TJ when I was bumped for the third time, and he did respond very fast - and I thank him for that - - but there was clearly something weird going on, and the sudden closure did feel rather like "who cares".

Yes it's lovely that he breeds his dragons for us - but whatever it was could indeed have been a symptom of something worse about to happen... I'd have liked to see the closure worded differently really - I'm sure TJ was looking into what had happened - but saying "OK I am looking into it - thanks for the heads up; closing." would have felt less dismissive.

I have to agree. I did actually PM TJ when I was bumped for the third time, and he did respond very fast - and I thank him for that - - but there was clearly something weird going on, and the sudden closure did feel rather like "who cares".

Yes it's lovely that he breeds his dragons for us - but whatever it was could indeed have been a symptom of something worse about to happen... I'd have liked to see the closure worded differently really - I'm sure TJ was looking into what had happened - but saying "OK I am looking into it - thanks for the heads up; closing." would have felt less dismissive.

This sounds almost a little like an odd naming glitch I had after maintenance last night, where a page on which I'd previously named a dragon still showed as not having gone through, yet every time I went through it again, it wound up back at square one.

Going through another page, however, showed that the dragon did have the name, but I posted about it on the Tiny Little Questions Thread just in case it was a sign of something nasty - then it turns out that this was going on with the Thuwed breeding page...

So perhaps we were lucky that whatever happened wasn't even worse, despite how horrible this was and is for those experiencing being repeatedly bounced out of whichever Thuwed line they'd managed to get into, sometimes losing whatever they'd gained.

And that kinda makes me wonder if some wider problem was worsening and TJ maybe just caught it in time.

And also wonder when/if TJ sleeps, lol.

I got the impression that TJ's tone of finality/ending things quickly on that thread was geared more toward the idea of his sorting out who had been on the list at some point and gotten bumped, and compensating somehow for the effects of the glitch. (In the way that he would add extra time/revive eggs if site downtime threatened to kill things.) Essentially saying that, because it wasn't an official site feature, he wasn't going to spend time untangling that aspect and it was just the luck of the draw if you ended up on or off at the time it was fixed.

I do agree that it sounded rather abrupt and confusing, but... eh, humans. Can't always communicate well, and chances are he was in the middle of trying to fix whatever had gone wrong.

What I love:

- Message archiving ability

- When a message sending had failed, the message text is saved! The quote gets lost (if it was an addressed reply), but cutting the quote to size is nothing compared to re-typing all message wub.gif

- Minimalistic enough to load quickly

What's a bit annoying:

- Searching defaults to "show results as topics", while I'm usually searching for posts. Not that big a deal...

As for the social aspect, people here are rather nice; topics are generally helpful; even the great Archadministrator comes in once in a while*** - what else does one need?..

***more than "comes in once in a while", I know, TJ listens and figures out things like mad, answering things and all, being a real busy bee, but I'm usually in a different part of the forum and don't see it - it's just too long to say wink.gif

What I love:

- Message archiving ability

- When a message sending had failed, the message text is saved! The quote gets lost (if it was an addressed reply), but cutting the quote to size is nothing compared to re-typing all message wub.gif

- Minimalistic enough to load quickly

What's a bit annoying:

- Searching defaults to "show results as topics", while I'm usually searching for posts. Not that big a deal...

As for the social aspect, people here are rather nice; topics are generally helpful; even the great Archadministrator comes in once in a while*** - what else does one need?..

***more than "comes in once in a while", I know, TJ listens and figures out things like mad, answering things and all, being a real busy bee, but I'm usually in a different part of the forum and don't see it - it's just too long to say wink.gif

For the search function, there's a drop down box to set if you want to look for topics or posts. Presumably, the default is topics because more people search for them rather than individual posts. (I know I do).

Edited by DragonLady86