Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

For the search function, there's a drop down box to set if you want to look for topics or posts.  Presumably, the default is topics because more people search for them rather than individual posts.  (I know I do).

Yep, I gathered it was a matter of choice for defaults. I was just hoping my way became more popular since the day the defaults were chosen. Egocentric, yeah wink.gif

The problem is, because of my different tastes I often meet flood control by going too fast - clicking "Search", remembering myself, going back, swapping the choice and "Search"-ing again. I wish it was possible for flood control to switch on for the third search in a row, rather than the second...

Two things I found today:

- It would be good to send a message to another folder from inside the message, not only from the folder it's currently in

- Archiving "All" messages doesn't work - neither "All and newer" nor "All and older" seem to find anything

Yep, I gathered it was a matter of choice for defaults. I was just hoping my way became more popular since the day the defaults were chosen. Egocentric, yeah wink.gif

The problem is, because of my different tastes I often meet flood control by going too fast - clicking "Search", remembering myself, going back, swapping the choice and "Search"-ing again. I wish it was possible for flood control to switch on for the third search in a row, rather than the second...

Two things I found today:

- It would be good to send a message to another folder from inside the message, not only from the folder it's currently in

- Archiving "All" messages doesn't work - neither "All and newer" nor "All and older" seem to find anything

These would both seem to be a matter of the forum software and TJ has said he isn't going to tinker with that any more.

But trust me, you don't want to upgrade to the current version - you can't archive messages at all in that sad.gif

Sorry if this comes across as a double post - but...

PLEASE can suggestions like being able to offer trades on more than one link and so on be shown in suggestions rather than relegated to BSAs.

I'd like to see the BSA area limited to NEW BSAs, and possible changes - like this

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=168199

and this

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=124811

listed in suggestions, where they will get the attention they deserve, and a better level of discussion and a wider range of contributions. I can't actually see either of these as "modifications of teleport" as such - and even if they were seen that way - they are completely separate issues from the actual BSA. Most people don't visit the BSA section a whole lot, and miss giving their opinions on these things - which are - to be honest - rather more important than collecting butterflies, cute though that is.

Please can this request be considered more seriously than it was last time it was made - by a number of people - when it was summarily dismissed as "all variations to BSAs have to go in BSAs" ?

TJ wants our views, doesn't he ? He would get more if ideas like these were more prominent.

edited for grammar... xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

I almost never go to the BSA thread at all. But, I do look at every new suggestion at least once to see if it warrants my opinion. The threads Fuzzbucket pointed out are new to me.

I almost never go to the BSA thread at all. But, I do look at every new suggestion at least once to see if it warrants my opinion. The threads Fuzzbucket pointed out are new to me.

Thank you for helping me make my point.

Thank you for helping me make my point.

It actually makes the point for keeping them there as well - to draw more attention to the BSA section.

It actually makes the point for keeping them there as well - to draw more attention to the BSA section.

But I don't believe it does. The ONLY reason I ever saw those threads was because they started out in suggestions and I followed them.

Sorry sock - but I could hardly disagree more. They AREN'T BSA suggestions, so no-one who doesn't religiously check out that section will ever see them or comment on them. And they ARE much needed.

I have to agree with Fuzz here. Moving these threads to the BSA section hasn't helped bring more attention to that area of the forum at all and, from what I've seen, has really only succeeded in hiding important discussions which need more attention. Honestly at this point when I see that a thread get moved to the BSA section because it's related to teleport, it becomes a lost cause at that point because I know next to no one will pay attention to it, and it will soon get buried by new BSA ideas and forgotten.

People could start discussing there, then, and hope their activity brings more, particularly if you are one who is noticing the threads are moved or posted in the BSA section.

Okay, so my Internet has been really awful as of late. I get the whole "Internal Server Error/Network Change/Webpage Not Available" message every time I try to do something.

On other sites, if I say...write a message (deviantART comes to mind, I've had to re-write sooo many Notes on dA), and then get that error thing, guess what? I either have to give up or re-write the thing. Here on the Forums, however, I can hit the back button and my post/PM is right there waiting for me to try again. This is incredibly helpful and saves a LOT of frustration. Thank you all for that.

Besides that, the Forum community is just an awesome thing.

People could start discussing there, then, and hope their activity brings more, particularly if you are one who is noticing the threads are moved or posted in the BSA section.

How are people supposed to know there's an important discussion going on in a place they never visit? Personally, I hardly ever visit the BSA section because I feel like it's a lost cause. There were only a very few actualyl useful BSAs suggested - Heal, Guard and some kind of hatchie-Incubate, the latter of which got vetoed to death. And the other two - despite having been fleshed out and agreed upon by quite a few players since the very beginning - aren't happening anytime soon anyway.

What's left is endless discussion about joke BSAs and other useless stuff with high risk of catastrophic failure (dead eggs), low chance of actually doig something and little reward on top of that. As I said, a lost cause.

However, suggestions about the abandon cooldown and teleport are something that not only concerns the Teleport BSA, but also general gameplay. The same goes for the ability to offer an egg on several trades (until one trade goes through), or even offer an egg in teleport on a trade. Trading has become such an important feature of DC that these topics need to be discussed where people actually see the discussion and can join it if they feel like it.

So I'd like to suggest the following: Rename the BSA section into "BSA requests", which is meant for discussing ideas for new BSAs. But keep discussion about already existing BSAs in the general Suggestions/Request area.

I agree with olympe's post.

Another point, not a huge one in itself, I don't think, but maybe makes a difference when combined with the other points: There is a difference between proposing a new BSA, with a specific dragon that will possibly need creator input and if not would probably have people arguing about the dragon's abilities to do the BSA, versus a tweak to something existing, where the focus, from what I've seen, isn't on a dragon's abilities but on whether or not the tweak will be good/desirable.

Why not have the two different types of conversations in two separate areas? I think people might get really tired of seeing new BSA ideas they'd like to have implemented, only to have discussions degenerate into the types of discussions that are common in the BSA section - so they just stay away. It's easy to say "if you want more discussion, discuss more" but like others have said I don't think it's working. I guess I don't see the harm in keeping discussion of tweaks to existing BSAs out of the subforum.

How are people supposed to know there's an important discussion going on in a place they never visit? Personally, I hardly ever visit the BSA section because I feel like it's a lost cause.

I agree with this. There are a few BSA's that are useful imo and those have already been fleshed out ages ago (and are now just sitting there with the occasional '+1' bump). So I never visit the BSA forum, but I *would* like to chime in on tweaks to existing BSA's.

How are people supposed to know there's an important discussion going on in a place they never visit? Personally, I hardly ever visit the BSA section because I feel like it's a lost cause. There were only a very few actualyl useful BSAs suggested - Heal, Guard and some kind of hatchie-Incubate, the latter of which got vetoed to death. And the other two - despite having been fleshed out and agreed upon by quite a few players since the very beginning - aren't happening anytime soon anyway.

What's left is endless discussion about joke BSAs and other useless stuff with high risk of catastrophic failure (dead eggs), low chance of actually doig something and little reward on top of that. As I said, a lost cause.

However, suggestions about the abandon cooldown and teleport are something that not only concerns the Teleport BSA, but also general gameplay. The same goes for the ability to offer an egg on several trades (until one trade goes through), or even offer an egg in teleport on a trade. Trading has become such an important feature of DC that these topics need to be discussed where people actually see the discussion and can join it if they feel like it.

So I'd like to suggest the following: Rename the BSA section into "BSA requests", which is meant for discussing ideas for new BSAs. But keep discussion about already existing BSAs in the general Suggestions/Request area.

This would work. Or even better "suggestions for NEW BSAs". Because - like Olympe - I couldn't care less about 90% of them - they're mostly cute but wouldn't actually contribute to PLAY, and many are plain deranged and would end up killing all your growing things.... The ones I mentioned about alterations to TRADING (which isn't in itself a BSA so why would ANYONE look for it there) - would really change play and make life easier. But just because we have to use teleport to trade - they get chucked in BSAs and lost.

There's another potentially really useful one in there which I agree is a new BSA - I wish I thought people would see it....

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=168258

Which makes me wonder why BSAs are separated out anyway ? They, too, are suggestions. I wonder how often TJ visits BSAs. I don't recall seeing him post in there much, and he does occasionally in suggestions.

Edited by fuzzbucket

The BSA subforum was created because the S&R forum was getting flooded in BSA ideas/request/discussions, if I remember correctly.

However, since the discussions in the BSA section usually end up on a one-way track to Nowheresville, I don't see any reason to visit that section.

The BSA subforum was created because the S&R forum was getting flooded in BSA ideas/request/discussions, if I remember correctly.

However, since the discussions in the BSA section usually end up on a one-way track to Nowheresville, I don't see any reason to visit that section.

Well, quite sad.gif

NEW BSA suggestions should go in the BSA subforum, but tweaks, updates, changes to OLD BSAs shoud remain in the main forum.

Plus, just because something could be a BSA, doesn't mean it should be. If the OP of a new suggestion isn't interested in making it a BSA, then it should stay in the main forum for discussion as well.

Because from my experience, once a thread is moved to the BSA sub-forum it dies because no one reads the BSA subforum on a regular basis. It is also my befief that mods move discussions to the BSA subforum because they want the topic to die. If I can find it, I'll post a link to just such a thread later (for now, I have a Dr's appt.).

We did. And the threads promptly died to any new discussion anyway. Moving threads there is the kiss of death!!!

Any suggestion regarding changes to trading ends up getting sent there and that is just wrong! We are not discussing the Teleport BSA -- we are discussing ways to improve the whole experience of trading. Just because trading depends on Teleport doesn't mean that every suggestion about trading should get moved to the BSA section.

Moving important threads there in the hope that they will generate more interest in the section in general is futile. And guarantees that most people will never see or involve themselves in those threads.

I have seen it happen too often and really plead to have this changed! I believe it may have been TJ who started the trend, so it may be TJ that we need to convince, but whoever -- please listen to what we are saying!!!

edited for typos and grammar

Edited by purplehaze

The ones I mentioned about alterations to TRADING (which isn't in itself a BSA so why would ANYONE look for it there)

[...] But just because we have to use teleport to trade

I'm... confused? http://dragcave.net/help/actions#bsa Trading is done via bsa, as it is a bsa on DC. o.o

So we have absolutely no chance of getting any substantive changes to the trading system, just because it depends on a BSA? Because that is the inevitable result of having to post such threads in the BSA section.

Edit: I really meant to phrase this a bit differently. What I meant to say was "we have absolutely no chance of getting any substantive discussion about changes to the trading system." And I think substantive discussion is necessary to have any chance of getting the changes approved. Therefore the insistence on moving threads is really a suggestion killer.

Edited by purplehaze

One thing that many don't seem to think about - I don't know about everyone else - but who hits "new posts" anyway ? It gets you MILES of game ones and the like (I just did, to see - there are a slew of "introduce yourself", several trading, a few GD, THIS thread ! - and Forum Games.)

So I never ever do that, since almost the first day I joined the forum. Because there is very unlikely to be anything I want to look at.

I go for new posts in suggestions, trading and breeding if I'm looking for something, and help.

The BSA bit at the top of suggestions usually has something like - yeah - right now, it's Frostbite (AND mine was the last post). So I won't bother. I think most people probably do the same. BSAs really is something of a dead end. Even the good ones (refusal reset, protection for eggs in a teleport for instance) don't ever HAPPEN; TJ doesn't say a word, discussion withers away in frustration and then - they just end up unnoticed.

Cross posting with Sock - glad I saw that.

YES trading is done via a BSA, sure. But it isn't a BSA in and of itself. We used to manage to do it (dangerously) via the AP.

The BSA is teleport. Which isn't only for trading. It's also used for people who need influences, people who ***d up their own influences, people begging for an urgent incuhatch. And probably other things I can't think of just now.

So we have absolutely no chance of getting any substantive changes to the trading system, just because it depends on a BSA? Because that is the inevitable result of having to post such threads in the BSA section.

Begins to look that way. sad.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm gonna agree with Fuzz here. Teleport explicitly says to "send" dragons ( and eggs), not necessarily trade them (going from the page that Sock linked). Transferred eggs aren't traded. Regardless, I think that discussions that do not propose a specific BSA themselves belong in the regular suggestions thread.

I do look at threads in the suggestions section that have the "moved notice" and I sometimes look at BSA suggestions if they show up in the most recent post area for the section due to intense discussion, but I really see no reason to be in the BSA section because I have no interest in it. And moving things to an area where very few people frequent (and I think the area is hidden to many members anyway) is not conducive to facilitating discussion.

Edited by Jazeki

Just had a look at a magi. I go for a teleport (which is the name of the action offered, not "trade" !) and it says

The following dragons are available to start a new transfer or trade:

and then you go for it and it says:

Transfer (One-way): Create a transfer that can be used to send up to four eggs or hatchlings to another user.

Trade (Two-way): Create a trade that can be used to safely exchange up to four eggs or hatchlings with another user.

Please select up to four eggs or hatchlings to be teleported.

One option specifically mentions just sending. NOT trading. The other says you can safely exchange. and then "please select up to four ... to be TELEPORTED." It is NOT just for trading, and teleport is NOT the same as trade. If it were the BSA would be called "trade". But it is used for so much more.

Sorry to get a bit heated here, but this is driving me nuts.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think some suggestion are moved to the BSA subforum in hopes that they die, these are two of the threads I was thinking of, but I'm pretty sure there are others..

"influenced male/female" information, elsewhere, not just in the action log

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=167499

Trading adult dragons?

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=161807

Those are NOT BSA suggestions. They are suggestions for NEW features/additions. The BSA is already available, nothing about the BSA needs to be fixed/changed, except to allow the new features to be used. Suggestions like these need to stay in the MAIN forum, not get sent to the BSA subforum to die.

I mostly use Teleports for gifting, myself...

But about the only time I ever go to the BSA section is when somebody posts a link - I just don't tend to think of it.