Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Thanks, Olympe. That may have been what happened. At any rate I found an egg this time that I wanted to trade for it, so that worked out better anyway. Now I just need someone to take that egg so I am not scroll locked. At least it is showing again. wink.gif

@Fuzz - I just put it back.

I took that nice 2nd gen stripe egg.. left a cb white for the page..

I like it, but I wish the egg you were gifting would leave your scroll right away.

I like it, but I wish the egg you were gifting would leave your scroll right away.

GOD yes smile.gif

I only have a minute or two of comp time this morning, but I just wanted to drop off a couple points about the Take an Egg-Leave an Egg thing. Enough people seem to be saying that they still miss it that I feel like it's still worth looking at and hopefully trying to revive.

This week I'm going to go over the old rules and see how I can strip them down to something very brief and very clear, keeping in mind all the feedback I've seen on this thread. (Mods, should I post that here for people to consider or discuss when it's finished, or someplace else?)

One of those new rules would be a very clear statement of 'thefts WILL happen, and calling people out or even complaining about it is zero-tolerance not-allowed. Use this thread at your own risk, especially one-way transfers.'

A PM I received from Pippyspot says she's bowing out on this one (I do not blame her one bit, I feel awful for putting it in her lap right before it blew up, I had no idea that this was coming), so I figured it's worth saying that I'm willing to help start it back up if the mods decide that's ever allowed. I would just be helping it get stable and, you know, existing again, it would definitely need other thread mods to do most/all of the permanent moderation. (I don't have that kind of internet time, which is why I was giving it to Pippy in the first place.)

I'd really like that. As much as I appreciate TJ's new leetle gizmo, I actually liked seeing where an egg goes. And the bit of chatter around it ("Thank you for this beautiful lineage!"; "Enjoy!"...) Plus, the option to leave now and take later is suddenly gone, which means that you have to have two open spots to participate: One for the egg you claim and another one for the egg you gift, since it might take a while before it is claimed by someone else.

I'd even volunteer to help with the modding. (But I'm sure I couldn't do it alone.)

ETA: @fuzz: The views your egg gets might be due to people clicking it on TJ's page in order to check the lineage (from the view page). I think changing the site to use lineage links instead of links to the view page might help with that.

Edited by olympe

ETA: @fuzz: The views your egg gets might be due to people clicking it on TJ's page in order to check the lineage (from the view page). I think changing the site to use lineage links instead of links to the view page might help with that.

I tested by viewing it in another browser. I'm afraid it DOES register....

But I wish it would go away biggrin.gif

I really want the Take Egg Leave Egg thread reopened. The two times its been closed, the first time, the thread had a part time mod at best. The second time it had only been open like a week with a new mod. I'm going to post something more later. But I think this should also be a factor and if its reopened,just require the mods of the thread are required to be active especially for this stuff.

Giving some 2nd gen Pyralspite eggs in TJ's new thingy. smile.gif

The message, when you take nothing in return, is funny. laugh.gif

Clever system. cool.gif

Last night before going to bed, I posted a 2 gen Hellfire Wyvern egg. It is still unclaimed though it is not on the TE LE page. I see that this happened to purplehaze and she regifted the egg and it was claimed. I would like to know for sure whether unclaimed eggs get dropped from the page or cycled through and if dropped how long does it take for an unclaimed egg to be dropped from the page?

I didn't think a 2 gen Hellfire Wyvern would be undesirable. I can gift it elsewhere if no one is going to want it, and if it has been dropped from the page.

The page is outside of the site (I made it via the API). It has no access to your account.

The page is outside of the site (I made it via the API). It has no access to your account.

Ah. That makes a lot of sense.... But eggs DO seem to gain views, though. No biggie.

So... There's an api for trades? Please include that in the official documentation!

Btw: still considering getting breed info out there one day?

If TAE LAE comes back, I would also very much like to help moderate the thread. biggrin.gif I still think one of the easiest solutions would be to give TAE LAE its own forum account so thread moderators can have more control over the thread.

So would it be possible to make it 'inside' of the site, so the egg(s) could go away?

If TAE LAE comes back, I would also very much like to help moderate the thread. biggrin.gif I still think one of the easiest solutions would be to give TAE LAE its own forum account so thread moderators can have more control over the thread.

You are suggesting to make a thread - not a forum section - but just 1 thread a separate forum and give its moderators forum moderator powers. I am not sure, but I believe that opens several other cans of worms - Does TJ want to give moderator powers to a small group for the purpose of handling 1 thread? - How much moderator responsibility do those agreeing to moderate this thread actually want? - Will TJ feel the need to have moderator applications and approvals for this? - and on and on.

If you want this thread to be a separate entity, perhaps one way would be to start a forum offsite for it and set it up as a fansite.

I'm not sure asking TJ to separate one thread from the rest of the forums is the way to go for what you want.

Just adding my agreement that I'd still love to see TAE LAE come back! It was my favorite "trading" thread and I also enjoyed the interactions and camaraderie and wasn't bothered by the occasional "issues"

You are suggesting to make a thread - not a forum section - but just 1 thread a separate forum and give its moderators forum moderator powers. I am not sure, but I believe that opens several other cans of worms - Does TJ want to give moderator powers to a small group for the purpose of handling 1 thread? - How much moderator responsibility do those agreeing to moderate this thread actually want? - Will TJ feel the need to have moderator applications and approvals for this? - and on and on.

If you want this thread to be a separate entity, perhaps one way would be to start a forum offsite for it and set it up as a fansite.

I'm not sure asking TJ to separate one thread from the rest of the forums is the way to go for what you want.

You know, it's possible to give people limited moderator powers. Like for only one section or subsection. So, if TAE/LAE was made into its own section, TJ could give some people modly powers in only that one section. Even without access to the mod section or whatever else there is that I don't know about.

Plus, as others have noted, TAE/LAE was really handy for gifting (or receiving) things with really interesting or unique lineages, etc. that often don't fit neatly into the categories required in the various gifting threads. 

The other awesome thing about it has also been said: at any given time there was something there to be claimed, and you got to select something!  Compared to the gifting threads I've seen, where it's done by connecting individuals, it's a lot more fun to play "let's go check out what people want to give!" instead of "sit around and wait till somebody PMs you about a list you wrote".

In short: yes, please, I love TAE/LAE and the unique features that make it far more fun than just a gifting thread or departure thread!

I agree with this.

I also miss the fun parts of TAE/LAE: Friendly comments about eggs/hatchlings, frequent postings of nice eggs (all of the coppers I have I got from people on TAE/LAE), the ability to take one and then leave one, or leave one then take one depending on what was going on with your own scroll, the fact that many people tried to leave nice dragons for the thread, and the encouragement to participate even if you didn't have the most awesome scroll to breed from. I loved the idea that you could make common dragons interesting by breeding an interesting lineage-- something that is much more doable for someone like me than catching or breeding rares.

I don't miss the complaining about 'theft', the users who posted with an absurd list of 'rules' for dragons they were gifting (the one that sent it over the top for me was when a few people started adding "don't mess up the lineage" to the list of 'don'ts').

TJ's new gifting app provides a lot of the functionality of TAE/LAE but doesn't capture the community spirit that made it fun. Frankly, I saved up egg slots just for TAE/LAE just because it was fun to try make a gift that someone might like. It was almost a self-created mini-game. I could set goals-- like raising a pack of BSA hatchlings and then give them to the thread & it was the interaction of the TAE/LAE thread that made that fun.

I do wonder if part of the problem with TAE/LAE stems from getting email updates about the thread. Since the email's include any links from the post, it is easy to just click on the link without reading any of the text or even fully realizing that the email is from TAE/LAE instead of (for example) the departures thread.

Would it be possible/helpful if emails from forums only provided active links back to the board? I know that when I get those emails, the part that jumps out at me is not the name of the thread, but the html links.

I would love for TAE/LAE to return & these would be my suggested thread 'rules' based on the types of interactions on the thread that made the thread worthwhile for me.

This is what I would like to see for rules if TAE/LAE came back:

0. This is a gifting thread and is not for trading.

1. Gifters cannot require what will happen to the egg once it is gifted. Gifts to the thread are just that and the recipient can do as they please with the egg or hatchling they receive.

2. Gifts must come from the gifter's scroll. Posting a gift on behalf of someone else is prohibited.

3. Offers must be posted in the spirit of generosity & the understanding that this is a public thread. Uncommon eggs and interestingly lineage common eggs should be posted using one way links. Common eggs listed in the first post should not be gifted using this thread.

4.Two way trades may only be used to allow rare or BSA egg gifters the opportunity to give the egg to someone who does not have a lot of dragons or could benefit from a specific dragon. Two way trades should be infrequent and dummy eggs should be commons from the AP.

5. Gift recipients are strongly encouraged to give back to the thread in a timely manner and in the spirit of this thread. However, no one is to try to track if gifts are being given in return. A compelled gift is no gift at all.

6. Any conversation on the thread should center around the gifted eggs and hatchlings and should remain positive. Gifters may not make up their own rules about what 'should' happen to dragons on the thread, call out other users for failing to give back, or comment on the outcome of gifts that they found disappointing. The tone of the thread should be welcoming, positive, and generous.

No, I was just suggesting that TAE LAE get its own account. Look at threads like TGT or The Goldenscale Lottery; they have their own account that they make posts from. The thread moderators make posts from the thread account and not posts from their own personal accounts. The thread accounts each have several moderators who can log into the thread account and make posts, edit rules posts, etc.

1. Gifters cannot require what will happen to the egg once it is gifted. Gifts to the thread are just that and the recipient can do as they please with the egg or hatchling they receive.

2. Gifts must come from the gifter's scroll. Posting a gift on behalf of someone else is prohibited.

3. Offers must be posted in the spirit of generosity & the understanding that this is a public thread. Uncommon eggs and interestingly lineage common eggs should be posted using one way links. Common eggs listed in the first post should not be gifted using this thread.

4.Two way trades may only be used to allow rare or BSA egg gifters the opportunity to give the egg to someone who does not have a lot of dragons or could benefit from a specific dragon. Two way trades should be infrequent and dummy eggs should be commons from the AP.

5. Gift recipients are strongly encouraged to give back to the thread in a timely manner and in the spirit of this thread. However, no one is to try to track if gifts are being given in return. A compelled gift is no gift at all.

6. Any conversation on the thread should center around the gifted eggs and hatchlings and should remain positive. Gifters may not make up their own rules about what 'should' happen to dragons on the thread, call out other users for failing to give back, or comment on the outcome of gifts that they found disappointing. The tone of the thread should be welcoming, positive, and generous.

I'm not too fond of most of these rules.

2: I've seen several people post gifts and take gifts on behalf of partners or children who don't have a forum account. From personal experience I can tell you that my daughter doesn't have an account, but a scroll (see signature). I don't think it's wrong to post for someone else if you link to that person's scroll or have a permanent link in your signature. Overall, I'd rather have a partner/parent post on behalf of their loved ones and keep the thread going with new gifts than keep these people out.

3: There was an exception about special lineages. I mean, I posted 4th gen geodes which were "offered" on pretty quickly once people caught on that they were Thuweds. So, allow for common eggs with special lineages that are hard to make (checkers, PB even-gen, thuweds, from frill/holly parents, low-gen prizefails...) or for common hatchies. Everybody likes hatchies, right?

4&5: If you use two-way trades only, rule #5 is obsolete. Because you can make sure something gets put up before you accept someone's "offer".

Rules 1 and 6 I agree with, though.

No, I was just suggesting that TAE LAE get its own account. Look at threads like TGT or The Goldenscale Lottery; they have their own account that they make posts from. The thread moderators make posts from the thread account and not posts from their own personal accounts. The thread accounts each have several moderators who can log into the thread account and make posts, edit rules posts, etc.

I'm not sure why it wasn't set up this way, but that is something the person who starts the thread sets up. I did it for The Mentoring Project. You just have to get moderator approval to set it up.

I agree with olympe about the rules...

I thought it was fine the way it was where it was up to the gifter whether to use a one-way or a two-way (I often posted hatchlings, and was egg-locked, so two-ways were a no-go for me) as long as everyone understands the implications of using either method.

Also, I don't like prohibiting certain kinds of gifts... that was another thing I liked about the thread, that anyone can participate with any level of egg. I don't want anybody to feel like maybe their egg isn't worthy, when there may be plenty of people that would love to have it. Everybody values different things and I loved all the crazy variety that was the TAE LAE thread. You just don't find that anymore on any of the other trading threads.

That sounds like the Departures thread, just with a lot more rules making it more complicated (which eggs you are allowed to gift, which type of teleport to use for which egg).

♡Use One-Ways at your Own Risk

♡If you take something nice, leave something nice

♡Set rules that the Adopter must follow

♡PM a Thread Moderator if you have a problem

♡If you take something, you must tell that user what you took (via PM/reply)

♡Have Thread Moderators to control problems

I honestly liked these rules posted a few pages back. However, a few I'd like to nitpick...

2nd rule: Eh, that's very subjective. I liked the rule the thread had about at least offering a common with a nice lineage (that is, with a pretty pattern like even gen, stairstep, spiral, whatever, not a messy one. Inbred could be fine if it was something cool and patterned, I suppose) or at least a CB or even a nice common hatchling.

3rd rule: Honestly, I'm fine with the gifter leaving a few guidelines, BUT they must be less of absolute rules and more like "I wish for the adopter to give it a name/not bite/not kill, but if they don't that's fine". If the adopter chooses not to follow these wishes, they don't have to and the gifter can't say anything about it.

...and that's all. XD I think these are simple rules and I like them. XD Though adding in a rule about it NOT being a trading thread would make it perfect.

So, here is my list, with the old rules I quoted touched up to what I would like to see, as well as tying in some other rules I've seen:

Use One-Ways at your Own Risk. If someone takes the egg and doesn't leave one in return, please do not call anyone out.

If you take something nice, leave something nice. "Nice" could be a pretty lineage that follows a pattern such as stairstep (example), even gen (example), etc if you leave a common/uncommon. Also applies to common/uncommon hatchlings. Most people generally like hatchlings of any sort.

The Gifter is allowed to set guidelines to follow, but these do NOT have to be carried out. It's usually nice to do so, but no one is obligated. No one may call out or otherwise harass another user if they don't follow the gifter's wishes.

If you take something, you must tell that user what you took (via PM/reply)

PM a Thread Moderator if you have a problem. If you see rule-breaking, please report it to us instead of spamming up the thread with more off-topic replies! Any harassment, either from gifters OR adopters is to be reported.

This is not a trading thread. While asking for a "dummy" (ex: a random egg/hatchling off the AP) for two-way transfers is fine, asking for specific dummies, even if they are common, is not okay. The two-way "transfer" becomes a trade at that point.

Any conversation on the thread should center around the gifted eggs and hatchlings and should remain positive. Gifters may not force their wishes for their eggs onto adopters, call out other users for failing to give back, or comment on the outcome of gifts that they found disappointing. The tone of the thread should be welcoming, positive, and generous.

Edited by edwardelricfreak