Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

I am told here is an ongoing discussion about the take an egg leave an egg board somewhere, but I can't find it sad.gif, so I'll just post here.

While I am really missing the take an egg leave an egg bord, I think the new tool TJ09 made ( http://dcrecords.tj09.net/leaveandtake )is quite awesome.

Two requests -

1) Is there an easy way to find it? If yes, can someone tell me where and if not could we get a sticky link or something? Right now I have to hunt up the closed Take an egg leave an egg thread, which might not be around much longer. I doubt new people will bother clicking that board at all.

2) I know the title of the board said take an egg leave an egg but it was common practise to offer hatchlings too not just eggs, but the new tool seems to forbid hatchlings for some reason (yes, I tried to offer one). Unless there is some compelling reason against it that I am not aware of I hope we can get hatchlings as an option.

And probably most important

Thanks for creating that tool TJ !!!

Edited by Laura-Lana

I think *this* is the place for said discussion.

Also, I just put this thing into my signature, but someone could possibly put it into the active fansites thread, too? Also, it should be linked on the dcrecords page itself, in the top menu, when it's been thoroughly beta-tested biggrin.gif

It is also quite easy to cheat the system, so don't get lulled into a false sense of security.

If I wasn't locked with breeding projects (holiday mates mostly) and a gift, I'd go there right now. The TBoss egg is so cool!

No there doesn't. That's the point. To just take, there's the departures thread.

You leave ONE egg every time you take ONE.

You may leave additional eggs as well.

By the above definitions, eggs will amass until they can only mature, because the amount of eggs will increase steadily.

If your gifted egg stays with you without anyone picking it up, it was taking without leaving. If you pick up 3 for 1, its basically the same as picking up 1 for 0 twice and one "fair" trade.

I think that, overall, the cases where an egg goes unclaimed will balance those cases where people gift without taking.

You leave ONE egg every time you take ONE.

You may leave additional eggs as well.

By the above definitions, eggs will amass until they can only mature, because the amount of eggs will increase steadily.

If your gifted egg stays with you without anyone picking it up, it was taking without leaving. If you pick up 3 for 1, its basically the same as picking up 1 for 0 twice and one "fair" trade.

So ? No problem if no-one wants the egg, surely ! It wouldn't be like taking without even trying to leave, as it was in the thread.

I can't gift hatchies with that new thing!m Which is sad because I'd loved to take the daydream egg and wanted to leave stripe hatchie. I can't leave an egg because that will lock me as all the eggs I have I need (or want) to keep ...

and which is of course sad because I can't gift hatchies if I like^^

but all in all - thank you very much, TJ smile.gif

Edited by Varnayrah

It does check a few things now, I like it! It rejects two-way-links, transfer links with more than one egg and transfer links with hatchies. smile.gif

May I suggest to link the egg images to the lineage page instead of the view page? Code and time left are displayed by the tool anyway, and if you click it you probably do so because you want to see the lineage. Additionally, freshly bred eggs might get sick if people who want to check the lineage go through the view page every time. I just realized the views and clicks handed out by clicking the image don't seem to register, that's neat!

To my understanding, the tool just administrates the transfer links, but can't stop you from posting a transfer link and cancelling it after you grabbed an egg, correct? So it still relies on people being honest. To make it 100% water-proof, it would probably need a holding scroll (with infinite egg slots and teleports) that immediately takes the egg off your scroll once you click the gogogo button and creates a new teleport to put in the list. On the other hand, if you have to hold the egg until someone wants it, that also serves as quality control, since you have to put up nice eggs if you don't want to hold them forever. And if the eggs get taken from your scroll immediately, it would be pretty much like the AP.

(Just some thoughts that came to my mind, I don't want to say anything in particular here)

Still love it, it's a lot of fun and much faster and easier than the tae lae thread.

I can't gift hatchies with that new thing!ich is sad because I'd loved to take the daydream egg and wanted to leave stripe hatchie. I can't llleave an egg because that will lock me as all the eggs I have I need (or want) to keep ...

I'm also not sure if I like it or not that it rejects hatchies, but if you can't breed a nice egg to leave because you're egg-locked, you can't accept an egg from there either! So I think that's a safety measure to make sure people don't leave a hatchie and then realize they can't accept the chosen egg because they are locked.

ETA: Wait, I think I got it now - you have 6 eggs you want to keep, so if you breed a nice one to leave you'll be locked and then won't be able to pick up the egg you chose, until someone chooses your egg. So you actually need 2 open slots to participate, because your "left" egg stays with you until someone picks it up.

Edited by Ha-Ki

I can't gift hatchies with that new thing!ich is sad because I'd loved to take the daydream egg and wanted to leave stripe hatchie. I can't llleave an egg because that will lock me as all the eggs I have I need (or want) to keep ...

It is to replace the TAE LAE thread ! Which only accepted eggs.

And TJ said the eggs in there don't get views till after we pick them up.

I wish it took eggs off your scroll when you put them up, too. I am now locked, and needn't have been biggrin.gif

And TJ said the eggs in there don't get views till after we pick them up.

I wish it took eggs off your scroll when you put them up, too. I am now locked, and needn't have been biggrin.gif

Ive seen bunches of hatchies on TeLe.

So thats not really true

That's strange. The first rule in that thread specifically mentions eggs AND hatchlings:

*When you take an egg or hatchling, leave something in return as soon as you can.

That's strange. The first rule in that thread specifically mentions eggs AND hatchlings:

OH OK - It said EGG in the header so I always thought....

I had given up on TAELAE a while back due to the issues already mentioned, but the new tool looks good. Gifted an egg to it that I hope someone will be happy with.

I made a thing: http://dcrecords.tj09.net/leaveandtake

You can leave an egg, or you can leave an egg and take one in return.

You are free to use it. You are also free to not use it.

Annnnd this is brilliant and embodies exactly what the TAE LAE thread should have been.

Yes, I missed it. I liked leaving and I liked taking. This fills the gap quite nicely.

It no longer gives out views to the eggs on the page.

Um - I'm afraid it does. The one I have up there is gaining views. Not fast, but it is.

EEK. Those actions have moved again ? I almost abandoned instead of named sad.gif

PLEASE make them standard for all stages.

While I'm here, and this is the correct thread, why does the forum not auto-subscribe you to a thread when you post in it?

How is one supposed to keep track of new posts if they forget to manually subscribe?

I can't see an auto subscribe action in the control panel. (Unless there is one, then I'm blind and I apologize)

Edited by This_Guy_001

I left a few nice eggs, and of those I think I saw only two messy eggs left in place of them (I had nothing else to do but stalk X3)

I loved the TAE LAE thread. It was awesome. I think it'd still be awesome if it came back since there's a lot of people who did like it, and I don't quite see how its existence hinders anyone who didn't like it or use it, but I do appreciate this substitute and will continue to make use of it.

Edited by andromedagalaxia

While I'm here, and this is the correct thread, why does the forum not auto-subscribe you to a thread when you post in it?

How is one supposed to keep track of new posts if they forget to manually subscribe?

I can't see an auto subscribe action in the control panel. (Unless there is one, then I'm blind and I apologize)

Time to apologise xd.png:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=02

Set it to email notification and bingo.

Enable 'Email Notification' by default?

Enabling this option will automatically subscribe you to any topic you start or reply to.

Hmmm. Okay, I'm confused a bit. I left an egg there about 8 hours ago. I can't see it there now, but it is still on my scroll and the transfer link is still active. Do they somehow get removed after a certain time? Is there a limit to the number of eggs shown there? It wasn't a junk egg. It was a second gen Stripe.

Hmmm. Okay, I'm confused a bit. I left an egg there about 8 hours ago. I can't see it there now, but it is still on my scroll and the transfer link is still active. Do they somehow get removed after a certain time? Is there a limit to the number of eggs shown there? It wasn't a junk egg. It was a second gen Stripe.

Dunno - one of mine is holding out too - but I can still see it....

I think I saw yours a while back... Maybe they rotate like in the AP ? OR - I suppose maybe if someone is holding while they grab an egg... is that possible... (I grabbed one when I saw the post about it, and was told I was locked (I hadn't realised it didn't trade at once) and the teleport link stayed open to me while I fixed it so I could accept it...)

There were some kinks in the system which TJ said he had worked out (I think). One of them was that people could somehow not claim an offered egg they chose, but that the egg would still be taken out of the system somehow. Just post it again as a gift.

Yours is still up there, purple - I just saw it !

olympe - they are all "gifts" - we have to post them as one way links.

Edited by fuzzbucket