Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

It no longer gives out views to the eggs on the page.

Can I just say: this is a fantastic little device, and TJ, you are FAST. Thank you for taking the time to make this!

(Of course I would like to see TaE-LaE come back, but holy cow, this is amazing. I always wished something like this existed.)

I don't see any duplicated transfers or duplicated eggs.

sorry I meant two-way transfers

some people are putting up two-way Transfers for their eggs

It is also quite easy to cheat the system, so don't get lulled into a false sense of security.

Thanks for this, TJ! It's not quite the community the thread was, but it's still something.

Hmmm… I entered the teleport link for the egg I left, chose the egg I wanted to take, and hit the go button. Then, when I clicked on the teleport link for the egg I chose, it said that another user had already claimed that transfer. Basically, I left and did not get to take. Has this happened to anyone else?

I made a thing: http://dcrecords.tj09.net/leaveandtake

You can leave an egg, or you can leave an egg and take one in return.

You are free to use it. You are also free to not use it.

I'm sorry, but I'm confused. Should you use a "trade" link or a "transfer" link? Or should you use a "trade" link if you are leaving/taking and a "transfer" link if you are just leaving?

I'm sorry, but I'm confused. Should you use a "trade" link or a "transfer" link? Or should you use a "trade" link if you are leaving/taking and a "transfer" link if you are just leaving?

I believe the idea is to use a transfer link. If you want an egg from this choose one, if not choose "no egg". smile.gif

Would it be possible to add a button to the top so you can get back to the trade center from the rest of DC records. Other than using the back button? Please and thank you.

I believe the idea is to use a transfer link. If you want an egg from this choose one, if not choose "no egg".

I thought that, but then it says "trade link" on the actual page and I was unsure. Maybe the only thing to do is try and see what works.

Thanks for this, TJ! It's not quite the community the thread was, but it's still something.

Yes. This. The TAE LAE thread was a community as well as a gifting thread. You can't compare it to the webpage TJ made. TJ's page is nice but it's not the same thing at all. It's like the difference between trading on the DC forums and trading using the Dragonmarket on EATW. The Dragonmarket and TJ's page are both nice ways to trade/gift, but you don't have that community feel or connection with other users that you get from the forums here.

sorry I meant two-way transfers

some people are putting up two-way Transfers for their eggs

Yes I'm sorry about that. dry.gif

I didn't realize that myself until I looked at the egg I put up, it was a two way transfer.

TJ, is there a way to remove the teleport link and have the system generate one when a user leaves an egg?

That would prevent people from leaving 2 way transfer eggs and taking the one way eggs for themselves.

I love the new tool!!! Just dropped off an egg in return for a pretty autumn :3

Thanks TJ!

I can see what people mean about their not being the same type of community with the tool, but I'm not sure there's a way to get around that, tbh.

Edit: Oh man, people are actually leaving two-way eggs? That's not so fun. The system itself already ensures that people leave an egg behind, so what's the point in that? If they want to trade, why not just trade on the forums?

Edited by kerrikins

Yes. This. The TAE LAE thread was a community as well as a gifting thread. You can't compare it to the webpage TJ made. TJ's page is nice but it's not the same thing at all. It's like the difference between trading on the DC forums and trading using the Dragonmarket on EATW. The Dragonmarket and TJ's page are both nice ways to trade/gift, but you don't have that community feel or connection with other users that you get from the forums here.

Right. I was a relative newcomer, but I saw the community that was in the thread. Folks would thank each other for eggs, coordinate things when they were locked/on cooldown, and I did tell folks who took my eggs to enjoy their new babies. I think what frustrated me slightly were two things:

~Folks who just took my egg(s) without a word (and with no scroll name visible). People can take whatever they want in a thread like that, but I wish they would have PM'ed me and asked if they could have one of my eggs. I have zillions, I don't mind giving a couple. But I felt like when people took eggs without notice and/or leaving an egg, that meant fewer for others.

~A minor nitpick about two-way transfers. I had a couple of these where I would offer on an egg, and the offer would just sit there. And sit there. And eventually, I would get frustrated and cancel my offer because it would sit there for a couple days and not be accepted. I know life happens and people can't be on 24/7, but it was a bit frustrating to have a dummy egg sit on an offer that wasn't being touched, when I could have used it on other offers.

Edit: Oh man, people are actually leaving two-way eggs? That's not so fun. The system itself already ensures that people leave an egg behind, so what's the point in that? If they want to trade, why not just trade on the forums?

I think it's mostly confusion with the new site. It does say trade link in one place rather than transfer. Others are likely experimenting to find out what works. And the post above you states they did it by accident, likely because they always check two way normally.

Hopefully, as people get used to it, everyone will switch to one ways.

I think it's mostly confusion with the new site. It does say trade link in one place rather than transfer. Others are likely experimenting to find out what works. And the post above you states they did it by accident, likely because they always check two way normally.

Hopefully, as people get used to it, everyone will switch to one ways.

Or if there was a way to convert the 2 way links into 1 way links, but that's not easy to do I would think :/

Oooooh now I have a reason to breed pretties again :D this is awesome TJ thank youu~

After my current eggs hatch if the site still exists ill throw some neat stuff on it :U

MORE GENERALLY, since my first post here was just TAE feedback:

In general, I enjoy the forums, but one thing I think could be improved is just... directing people to them?

It was probably months or even a year after I got a DC account that I started using the Forums, which opened up a whole world of stuff to me -- from "how do lineage projects get started" to "would anyone help me get a specific dragon I want?"

I'd like to see some kind of helpful pointer for newbies involved. Just a basic "welcome to DC, here's the help page for raising your dragons and navigating the site! If you'd like to connect with other players, check out the forums! It has trading threads, discussion, and even a place where you can sign up for a DC mentor to help you get started!" sort of thing.

There is actually now a new user slideshow that covers many of the basics - raising eggs and such. Not sure if it directs people to the forum. I think it's just cave based.

Hmmm… I entered the teleport link for the egg I left, chose the egg I wanted to take, and hit the go button. Then, when I clicked on the teleport link for the egg I chose, it said that another user had already claimed that transfer. Basically, I left and did not get to take. Has this happened to anyone else?

This happened to me as well earlier today... I was wondering whether it was a one-off glitch.

But overall this is a really neat tool! (Though I also miss the sense of community that TAE-LAE had -- it was actually the thread that got me to join the forums after ~6 years in the Cave, and remained my favorite -- and hope it can be reinstated also.

I loved TAELAE and never had these problems. I gifted many times, almost always nice metals on one-way links, and only ever had 2 eggs stolen. I thought it was fine (honestly I found all the arguments over the rules far more off-putting), but if the thread must die, the thread shall die. Oh well, it will join the graveyard of the other forum threads that I liked before they were closed. As surely as the spring comes after the cold of winter, someone else will think up an awesome thread for us to play in.

The new website is potentially something really cool. I counted how many of the eggs were messy versus nice, out of curiosity, and there was one really cool egg, 25% of them were messy, and the rest about what you would expect such as a CB Ridgewing (please note: this is from how the site was at one moment in time, this is not statistically significant!). I was a little disappointed with this at first, but I believe TAELAE had a similar ratio, so it is probably fine.

For people looking to receive random cool lineages, Breeding, Gifting did recently add that functionality. Just ask for breed "Mystery" and the breeders will surprise you! I wanted to update the thread on this recent rule change, as someone stated earlier that you have to be too specific to get a random cool egg from a lineage project there.

I like the new transfer station, but I'd still really love to have the TAE/LAE thread back as well. I got a few lovely eggs from the thread and it was fun to leave pretties for people and see others excited to grab them up.

I tended to use one-way transfers because it was just easier than having to check for offers. The one or two times I did use a two-way, I took the first offer, whatever was offered, and went about my day. I just went in knowing that if I listed an egg, it wasn't mine anymore. I don't do experiments (for neglected eggs, etc), try to keep breeding lines pretty, and name all of my dragons (if possible, in accordance with the parents' names), so I tended to follow any rules people wanted by default.

I guess I just liked the personal interaction that came with the transferring. It made it more fun for me.

That said, I'm going to leave an eggie in the Transfer Station anyway just to get the feel for it.

I wonder...

are people actually aware that with the possibility of only leaving an egg, there absolutely needs to be the possibility of only taking?

In the end, there always will be people who end up with the surplus.

In addition, TJs page shows very well a concern that I've always had: people tend to only put up new stuff when thrre's something they want, basically making it a trading center, just with the difference that you COULD offer sub-par stuff to get anything. I wonder how that's supposed to be a good thing.

No, thanks, I'll stick to easier threads that create less hostility and where people are STILL happy to just gift. If I want to gift, I gift. There's no need to object the giftee to some strange rules, forcing them to do stuff IF they want anything. It feels a lot like telling your kids to do things your way or "santa won't come this year". Yes, I know, bad parents use these techniques a lot.

Non-intrinsic motivation should be avoided. It robs the fun.

I kinda like the response from that thing when you ask for nothing laugh.gif

edit: It needs some working, I think. It still offers an egg I left that has already been taken (I didn't post the transfer link anywhere else).

edit edit: Now it's finally unlisted.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Like wow ! Thanks TJ. I don't know if I will use it - but it's ideal for those missing TAE LAE !

I wonder...

are people actually aware that with the possibility of only leaving an egg, there absolutely needs to be the possibility of only taking?

No there doesn't. That's the point. To just take, there's the departures thread.