TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

7 minutes ago, Shinigami_Ryuuka said:

Imagine complaining that the site added 15 NEW dragons. Some of y'all are unbelievable :eyeroll:

People are allowed to have their opinions and even criticism. As long as they're respectful I don't see the issue. Mods, TJ and spriters should know by now that they have a vocal, passionate community. 

Because people be asking for lists:

If it helps any, I made a Masterlist of almost all the info about the dragons we know as well as some other notes, funny quotes, Glitch notes, and theories here:

On 5/22/2021 at 3:03 AM, Shokomon said:

{Snip}

Go here for the Master post of all the known mechanics and other stuff about the dragons.

As well as my spreadsheet (The DC Birthday 2021 Variant/Alt/Hybrid Tracking & Mechanism List)! Please help figure out the other mechanics!

I also made a spreadsheet that I would really appreciate assistance with, so we can figure out how to get the other "Florets," and the Gemshards. Though, with the Gemshards it looks like we have as substantial theory! I just need proof of Monday and Tuesday Gemshards. for documentation.

Now for responses and yoinking:

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Okay, I've read everything and looked at @Shokomon's wonderful spreadsheet, but I'm paranoid and looking for confirmation: A pink Sapphire picked up from the AP *won't* change to yellow even if it's views/uvs pass that threshold? I've kept my egg fogged down to ER-time because I'm nervous about it getting too many views. Will it be 'set' after it hatches? 

No one has mentioned a turning Pink egg, and someone took a screenshot of an egg past the 4000 OV threshold, so it seems unlikely.

2 hours ago, oxoniensis said:

I generally go for multiple hatcheries, after a safe period for the egg. But that will up the overall views greatly as well. If you’re trying for a high number of UVs while keeping the OVs reasonably low, it’s tricky, and you might want to move them in and out of hatcheries depending on how they’re doing (if you have the time and patience!)

I guess that's what I gotta do.

2 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Note: the following is sarcasm. I do not actually recommend this method.

Send private messages to 800 people asking them to click on your egg—but only once.

Lol, maybe that would work, but it would also anger a lot of people. lol

1 hour ago, Mystic_Halo said:

I have a Sapphire with these stats.  What do I need to do to turn it yellow?  I don't know how to get more clicks.  

• Overall views:3,522
  • Unique views:832
  • Clicks:7
1 hour ago, Mystic_Halo said:

Thank you, I had it in 6, and was sick and wasn't turning. 

I used the Auto-refresher suggested by Whirlaway, and it turned yellow at just over 4,000 views!

Welp, nevermind then. That goes against the 800 UV comment. @Mystic_Halo, Do you mind adding your egg to the Spreadsheet? I can if you are okay with it.

1 hour ago, White Fox said:

Im so confused and overwhelmed with all the new stuff. Is there by chance a single posting somewher with all the info everyone has accumulated....? 

Look at the top of my post. Hope it helps. 

1 hour ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

Can sapphires die of sickness or has TJ protected them for now? My sapphire egg got sick so I went to ward it but it says it's already protected? There is also no "thankfully it has a protective barrier to keep it safe" message after the sickness? 

Did you ward it previously? Or click too fast? I haven't heard of them being protected, and someone posted a dead pink egg with a lot of view. Check your Action long to see. 

If you picked it up from the AP, maybe the previous owner warded it?

1 hour ago, Wiz said:

Feel free :D

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Oddsoxdi said:

Just how hard is it to get an alt Nilia? I've bred and bred after using the Purple app and all I get are regular Nilias. Also, the Purples I've used for Fertility are STILL available to use again. What am I doing wrong?

If you fertilize both parents, it should be laid green. 

Just make sure you have slots. Abandoning it (whether on purpose or not) turns it blue.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

Do the Sapphires have to turn yellow as eggs? Or can they still turn once they have hatched? My dragons routinely get that many views before growing up, but do I have to risk making them sick as an egg, or can I just raise them as I normally do?

Hatchies can turn!

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Are the Jungle Florets the 'chonky' kind or does Incubate make them that way?

The "Florets" hatch 'chonky' as it were.

We think they are a different species, since they don't appear on the Floret encyclopedia page. 

30 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Yup.

@Shokomon, here's the s2 shot:

Hide contents

Screenshot_20210523-080115.thumb.png.5c9ec58c2d2f3b3532b7429c1d13b14b.png

Thanks!

Edit:

13 minutes ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

I'm currently viewbombing my own sapphire to see if I can turn it yellow with 4,200 ov and no uvs. It'll probably die but I just wanna see. 

Has anyone else done this? 

Tell us how it goes! And not that I know of!

4 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

FYI, I can basically rule out that this is the criterion. I've got an egg with 861 unique views (but <4000 overall views), which has not turned yellow.

Now I got two people where 800 UV didn't work.

Mind adding it to the doc? 

Edited by Shokomon

I am SO appreciative of all of the spriters and administrators who have spent their time creating such beautiful art and concepts for us at zero cost and constant criticism! It blows my mind how amazing this site is while staying free. 

I understand that change is often difficult to adjust to, but I personally find it a bit impractical to expect Dragon Cave to stay almost exactly the same 15 years after its inception. In fact, if it did, I'm sure most users would lament the absence of innovation in dragons, alts, overall functions, etc.!! Impossible to please everyone. I love the new challenges presented to us in this birthday celebration. I'm often a little bored when new releases are ~too~ easy to collect. These new dragons will be VERY fun to pursue over the next few weeks, in my opinion. I also loveeee the idea of the cuckoo bird. I'm excited to see the adults. 

I'm so overwhelmed with all the new releases. Does anyone know how to get the other colors of the florets?

I've been here on and off most of the day, camping out in Allure and Valley Sherwood, and still not seen one new pink or yellow egg.  Talk about bad timing.

19 minutes ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

Edit: It stopped gaining views at 1,350. Hmmmm. 

Overall views are capped at 15 * unique views. Once your dragon gets more than 90 unique views, you can continue giving it overall views. :)

7 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Mind adding it to the doc?

I'd be happy to. Can you link me? I've not been keeping up with the thread.

Edit: I guess you mean the spreadsheet. I added it.

Edited by pinkgothic

2 minutes ago, roxasxaxel said:

I'm so overwhelmed with all the new releases. Does anyone know how to get the other colors of the florets?

It's assumed that they'll come from breeding since one was successfully bred at the start of the release, but changed to a purple floret shortly after.

i really wish i could catch a single cantor or gemshard in the cave :( i have a fast connectin but even then i cant catch any of them at all. 

3 hours ago, Quinney said:

I've been here on and off most of the day, camping out in Allure and Valley Sherwood, and still not seen one new pink or yellow egg.  Talk about bad timing.

I've got a pink egg if you need it for your encyclopedia?

~eggspam removed~

Edited by Kaini

3 hours ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

I've got a pink egg if you need it for your encyclopedia?

~eggspam removed~

3 hours ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

Thank you so much!

Edited by Kaini

Awesome birthday! I love all the breed mechanics of dragon cave. It's what makes Dragon Cave interesting and exciting even after all these years. I am over the moon that we get more of them. *hugs TJ and all the spriters* You rock!

Edited by Laura-Lana

2 hours ago, Sarcastra said:

Thanks for proving my point that there are more and more mechanics creeping into the game and making it increasingly impossible to choose to avoid them. I choose to not bother with Lunar breeding schedules. I can choose to bite with a vampire. But I cannot choose to breed gemshards outside of the newly enforced mechanic. This change is, basically, a mandatory adjustment to the game for these dragons. Breeding stripes to get a specific color did not introduce a new mechanic: this was just more breeding to get what you wanted, nothing about having to remember the time of day, the day of the week or what BSA is required. I did not expect DC to stop trying out new things, but I hoped the new things were not so involved and complicated, and time consuming. Nor did I expect established dragons to be affected. Make all the new mechanics you want, experiment and expand, great--on newly released species. Then players like me can decide to engage in that new part of the game. I've already said I do not plan on bothering with many of these new mechanics, it is just too much bother for me. I don't begrudge anyone who is playing with the new mechanics, and I am happy they all are enjoying them. I just want the artists and devs to know my position, and hopefully they consider this moving forward. I am not the only one who feels this way, obviously.

I don't get how day-based breeding is complicated. If you have a Gemshard lineage in progress, just go check the wiki. You can even just pretend it's still random if you really want to - if you're going to breed on a random day of the week, it's effectively still random chance and you can pretend this never happened. Or just breed on Sunday if you really want to return to random. I don't understand how adding control over an alt mechanic is reducing game enjoyment? Like, you were still forced to play a certain way before (random alt). You couldn't choose to avoid that mechanic, any more than you can choose to avoid this mechanic. Outside of the Sapphires, there is literally nothing new here.

The alt and hybrid release is actually great for such a large release, because we aren't pressured to try and guess which eggs are going to be rare (and we should therefore prioritize in the cave before the flood ends). You have unlimited time to get each of them, you don't have to fight in the cave to grab the eggs, etc. Maybe just sit back a week and wait for the mechanics to be fully characterized if it's stressing you out. There is 0 need to try and collect all the alts and variants in the first three days after release.

Edited by High Lord November

9 minutes ago, roxasxaxel said:

Does anyone know how to get the other colors of the florets?

Short answer: not yet.

The shape grayed-out version in on the encyclopedia page matches the dark pink/"grape"/"raspberry" ones on the far left of that row on TJ's original post. Due to a glitch, we were informed (within a few hours of the event start) that egg is "not possible yet."

The "chonky" peach egg is in the Jungle in the cave. It is not really a floret, despite the matching description, because its shape is not on the floret encyclopedia page. Therefore, it is a new breed, but until we have adults we can't experiment to try to figure out how to get the new floret or the other 2 "chonky" colors.

20 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

Overall views are capped at 15 * unique views. Once your dragon gets more than 90 unique views, you can continue giving it overall views. :)

I'd be happy to. Can you link me? I've not been keeping up with the thread.

Edit: I guess you mean the spreadsheet. I added it.

Thank you! I did mean spreadsheet. My brain was just being dumb and substituting doc for sheet.

2 hours ago, Arionid said:

So were cantormaris and the others obtainable as cbs meant to be classified as uncommon still or? Unironically seen more xenos and unbreedables and not a single cantor or sapphire after hours of refreshing.

Not only is this a lot to release at once but it's for old breeds, which don't have that "common drops for a while" thing still going for them like it is for blazeback right now. Combine that with how inconsistent the ideal refresh time is when dc lags means it'll take months to get all cbs of the new variants.

I've been trying for weeks to get CB Cantors for a new pink pair. Every time I've seen one, 'The egg you are looking for is no longer available. Another person may have grabbed it already.'

They're not going to increase the drops, don't even bother asking. You get what you get. So maybe I'll have a chance to catch a CB Cantor by Christmas, maybe.

They're cheap in the market...

It's obvious Cantors are gonna fly off the cave like hot cakes at the moment - I do wish the swarm time was longer.  However, they're not rare and catastrophizing the situation and equating the EQ variants to Staterae is ridiculous considering they're, as @Fuzzbucket said, as cheap as can get in the market and EQing requires significantly less luck than trying to catch a metallic or a stat in cave.

ETA: from personal experience pre-bday they also haven't been that hard to get from the cave with a little bit of patience, and I assume they'll return to that in due time.

Edited by Falorni

I don't want Market Cantors.

I want to prove to myself I can catch one from the Cave by myself.

Now that's not going to happen until some holiday comes up and a lot less people are online.

I've never bought anything in the market too for some reason. Like some cave purist XD (I might give in when it comes to Staterae sooner or later tho)

I'm chill about the Cantors, sooner or later the rush will be over. There's no need to go after them immediately.

3 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Now that's not going to happen until some holiday comes up and a lot less people are online.

I see them decently frequently at the 5 minute drops. You could even trade for a CB, unless getting it yourself is the actual issue/goal here, in which case it will depend on your internet connection and catch speed, just like it does for all other popular and/or rare eggs. 

Edited by High Lord November

Honestly this same topic comes up every NR - heck, these same things were said during the original Cantor release and they still ended up being relatively easy to grab.  I sympathize with not being able to grab things you want (I've been in Gemshardless purgatory with this release lol) but things can and will get back to normal in a few weeks or so. :) 

1 minute ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I don't want market Cantors, either. Not to prove anything to myself -- I have caught some in the cave in the last week or so -- but because I know they are possible to get in the cave. I am saving all my shards for something I know I will never be able to catch in the cave or have enough to trade for -- Stats! I was never able to catch a CB Gold in the cave in all the 12+ years I have played. Every one I have was either a gift from some kind soul or purchased in the market. And Stats are so much beyond the Golds that they are totally out of reach -- at least for the foreseeable future.

I'm really enjoying this release, chaotic but fun! 

My fvourite so far has been the new dynamic for Gemshards, I can not express how much I love this. I like that there is also a chaos day for those who want a surprise. Not me though lol I like to plan.

Really, really hoping that some other way as well as abandon will surface for the pink Sapphires but that's because I'm a lineage freak and they are gorgeous. 

I'm really enjoying how this hasn't been a one and done birthday and that I still have stuff to do. I am in awe of the planning that must have gone into this for us and I'd like to thank everyone involved. Thank you.

I got 3 of the new florets, but I've never had florets before so I don't have anything to go off of. What do people mean by 'chonky?'

I bred 2 sapphire eggs and I'm gonna try to turn them yellow, can't see any pink eggs in the AP so I'm gonna wait until this dies down to start looking because I don't want to abandon my own

Got the new nilia egg! It looks p cute but I think all pygmy eggs look cute :P

Gonna wait until I have no eggs before breeding 6 cantors and earthquaking them, and I already have 2 white ones. They look so cute!

Still trying to figure out the Gemshard thing, I don't even have all the original colors yet lol