TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

9 minutes ago, Tini said:

Stunning prevents it from gaining any views and a view is required to hatch or grow. If you teleport it to someone and back* (after removing from hatcheries) it can get views and will grow. 

*only one required to allow views again but you need to do it fast to get it back to you before it grows. Hatchery removal is just to help stall for time. 

It’s actually grown up now, so I’m happy! But I had stunned it a couple of days ago, so it was merrily amassing views, but not growing up. And given that it had plenty of views, it just seemed a bit unusual to me. But all is good! And thanks for the suggestion. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Falorni said:

I know everyone is itching to get green Cantors but

PLEASE DO NOT EQ EGGS UNTIL THEYRE AT LEAST 24H OLD AND AT LEAST SLIGHTLY CRACKED

Based on research and trial runs by the unofficial Discord this is pretty much the first point where your eggs actually have a reasonable chance to live and hatch through the earthquake - save yourself the scroll space and heartbreak!!

The 2 fogged had large holes, all of them were over 6 days. Dispite what the wiki says they can live earlier, its just a lower chance (the bottom 2 also had zero views as i wasn't overly worried about losing them)

Screenshot_20210522-090540_Chrome.jpg

@DragonLady86 They definitely can live!  However it's a much bigger of a risk and could make or break the situation for those of us who are unlucky lol

35 minutes ago, Tini said:

People will grab blue eggs just to chuck them back for someone else.

Or just grabbing blue eggs that they don't like the lineage of, or grab blue eggs that they toss because they want to hunt something else, or get traded blue eggs that they don't need. There's a lot of potential pinks to go around.

I’ve been searching through this post and the Wiki, and we clearly know that pink Sapphires can be created by willing abandonment. But has it been fully explored as to whether they can be created by withholding views? I’ve just caught and fogged one to try, but will gently lay it in the AP for someone else if that method has been ruled out.

I just earthquaked an unincubated egg that would have hatched tomorrow, and it died.

Also, I know there's a bit of a to-do with the Florets, but I have four new hatchies now, and just a shadow in the encyclopaedia - no egg or hatchies showing. Anyone else got this?

5 hours ago, Seejey said:

Guys, I really think the new Florets can't be hybrids. They are just slightly different. What about the BSAs used on the eggs to see if they change colour? The Cantos, Electrics and Nilia alts are BSA based.

I've been thinking about that, too, but
* you can't stun an egg
* it would be weird and run sort of counter to gameplay if influencing for gender started changing dragon types

* I've tried Fertility, Ward, and Abandoning; none of them changed the egg. 

13 hours ago, Silverwatermist said:

This is the thing that stands out to me the most at the moment. I feel like, considering the past year or so, collectively we as people of the Earth are tired, brain-fogged, and brain-fried due to the pandemic and world events? Not everyone, I recognize that some have been very bored and looking for immersive distractions! But many of us are tired and a bit mentally off this past year, and have been turning to DC for what we've learned the game provides: a mostly solitary, somewhat calm experience, but with a little rush and thrill of a new release, or the curiousness of discovering a new mechanic or hybrid, sure, but one at a time. I wasn't expecting that would change so much this past year. We've still had normal releases too, and those have been lovely honestly, but the past year on here has included so many complicated releases with tons of biome varieties, alts, use of BSAs, and now an abandoning mechanic, and personally, I'm finding the sudden pattern to be too much.... This is the one year that me and an awful lot of other people probably could've used a mental break that the base game of DC was already providing us in years past, and instead, it feels like there has been an increase in complication for new releases ever since the pandemic got rolling. To me, it feels backwards to the spirit of this site and what I expect to find here? Timeline-wise, this seems like the exact wrong timing to ramp up the complication of DC's game play.

Now, I know some people are enjoying the challenge of the new mechanics! Awesome! And yes, I know we can play at our own pace to figure these out and just breed them when we can. But I'm brain-fogged and tired, in an over-arching sense, like millions of other people are everywhere right now. Even if I took a break from DC (which I don't feel the need to do? Some releases are great, and poking around on the trade hub and forums are fine and don't tire me out!) I am not going to come back refreshed and suddenly be able remember most of these mechanics later... not in the sense of "Hm, how does that work again? I forget!" but in the sense of, I am not going to even recall they exist, because of my brain this year. Old breeds I'd already memorized the mechanics for have changed, all at once alongside new alts appearing with their own complex mechanics, and it's too much for my mind to actually absorb and learn and add to my long-term memory when it's all introduced at the same time. I understand there are 15 new dragons/mechanics because of the 15th birthday, but my brain literally can't parse this as a mass, and that's not fun for me, which is a bummer.

I assume others are having the same problem, and that's why we're seeing many posts about this release being "overwhelming". I echo that sentiment. It's overwhelming to me too. And I hope that me writing this out might provide some clarity if any in-cave artists feel their work is being bashed or that people are being needlessly critical or unfair or are being grumpy buzzkills. Your art is beautiful, but a lot of us are tired, and have been optimistically looking forward to a birthday release we could joyfully participate without too much mental stress, or needing to allocate extra mental resources than DC typically asks of us in a big burst. At the moment, there are great compilation posts of how to get these dragons, but even that info is listed in extremely long chunks of text that take quite a while to read, simply because of how many dragons there are and how many experiments are going on. But in order to know what part of the birthday you want to participate in and start collecting/breeding right away, you pretty much have to read through those, then begin planning out the use of your egg slots since there are a dozen dragons available right now, then decide if and when to risk using Earthquake if at all because you already grabbed or bred eggs before realizing there was an Earthquake mechanic, then eventually try to re-plan all of your Copper and Sapphire and Gemshard lineages to figure out how to keep getting the colors you need, etc. The last one doesn't have to be done right away! But it's still a consideration that floods your mind when you look at all of this that's been released together, so when users are posting about this being "overwhelming" or not fun, they're not only talking about not caring for some of the mechanics, they also might be talking about how much micro-planning and understanding of BSAs this involves and the effort of mentally organizing it all when many of us already have exhausted brains. I hope that will be respected and understood.

Personally, I think future birthdays would benefit from limiting the complexity of mechanics that might overlap (wanting to start collecting/breeding the new dozen dragons, but also wanting to test out Earthquake), and by only changing so many old dragon mechanics at once so that we have the time to re-learn, and including quality of life updates or fun extra art from the artists as some of the 16, 17, etc. birthday items instead of purely dragons. This would lower the mental load that's hitting people all at once, and allow for both fun/complex mechanics while also still allowing some relaxation.

Sorry for how long this, and when adult dragons start showing up apart from that one yellow Sapphire that was posted here (gorgeous!) I'll gladly be posting my praises for the art. But for now, I felt this needed to be said. Thanks for reading.

^^ This.

Not criticizing the artists at all, but it is too much with the current situation for me too. I play solitarily, because one of my friends who brought me into this game had their scroll burnt because they were very social, and it suits me to play solitarily too.

This is just too much, and trades do not work, when one does not have rares to trade and/or the ability to catch rares in the cave. 

One thing I'm curious about actually, I wonder if we'll get an update to the Gemshard egg sprite in the future?  Nothing wrong with the art of it, but it'd be lovely to see a slight color update so the new color variants would be represented as well! :--D

Does someone already have both green and white Cantormaris dragons and knows how they sort by name in relation to each other?

10 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

Does someone already have both green and white Cantormaris dragons and knows how they sort by name in relation to each other?

Ward variant sorts below Iratus, EQ sorts below ward

Spoiler

SmartSelect_20210522-151411_Samsung_Internet.jpg

TY @Shadowdrake for the screencap

Edited by Falorni

Anybody with an adult new gemshard?

Since they could hatch the new colors on release day?

I really love the new colors on them!

Will have to buy onefrom the market next week when it's "teal day" again. :D

Managed to trade for a CB pink Sapphire and it's living the fogball life until it can grow up. I'll cry if it turns yellow. 😩

Some gorgeous looking alts so far, really curious about the white Canto and new Gemshards. That teal looks amazing!

I'm actually happy with this release aside from the sapphire thing. I'm just going to breed Cantos to EQ, Cantos aren't easy to get as CB and I don't want to spend shards to risk killing them, or the hatchies running away. 

Does anyone know if temporary view bombing the sapphires probably will turn them yellow? I was thinking of doing that with warding, then fogging. Then maybe waiting a day to throw more views on them. 

Still refusing to believe AP'ing the sapphire egg is the only way to get pink. I bought a market one I'm going to keep fogged til maybe 1 day left. Then I'm going to try keeping only a single sapphire egg on my scroll to grow (lonely?) and see what happens

24 minutes ago, Falorni said:

Ward variant sorts below Iratus, EQ sorts below ward

Reveal hidden contents

SmartSelect_20210522-151411_Samsung_Internet.jpg

TY @Shadowdrake for the screencap

Thanks a lot! I was working my way through the thread to find this info, to make some influencing decisions for the Release History project (we tend to order things released on the same day alphabetically). This helps. ❤️

Is it just me or is anyone else struggling to tell the difference between the 3 brown coppers? The verdigris looks fine but I just accidentally bred one of my livers thinking it was my rainbow :(

11 hours ago, KrazyKarp said:

I guess it's a matter of opinion on how big of an addition it is. New mechanics for only 7/280 breeds plus a new hybrid seems pretty small to me, especially given that they're all for commons/uncommons with the exception of Coppers.

This release has 7 NEW mechanics added to the ever growing list. That is my issue, Dragon Cave had this 'open world, play any way you want' feeling. Collect what you like, breed them into checkers, stairs, spirals, rainbow lineages, purebred...there was no wrong way to play. Now, there IS. Get an undesired result by breeding on the wrong day. Get an undesired result by breeding at the wrong time of the day. Get an undesired result by getting the wrong number of views. Get an undesired result by using the wrong BSA, or none of them. I cannot choose to not follow the new mechanics rules if I want to continue my lineages on these commons. I understand there are lots of people excited about these new puzzles and challenges to learn what needs to be done to find the new sprites and colors. I appreciate the detective work they are putting in to uncover the secrets. I am not telling them to stop it just because I don't enjoy it. All I am saying is this is disappointing to me and it makes me sad that my play is being diminished and compromised.

There are 15 'new' dragons in this birthday release. One was a cave drop, another a hybrid. The rest are available only through these newly posted mechanics. For players like me, this is an alarming sign that the cave will become more mired in intricate must-perform mechanics to collect new sprites. I feel almost totally left out of this release and I am afraid of being left out more and more in the future. This release also affected existing dragons and now I must play differently to keep my sapphires from turning yellow if I want to keep going with some of my breeding. Which existing dragons will be included in a mechanic next that once again forces me to change the way I want to play? 

I have managed to miss every. single. amethyst gemshard hatchling in the hatcheries. I guess my eyes just glossed over them while looking for colored sapphires. My encyclopedia entries for the amethyst ones are still grayed out, while the aqua ones are filled in.

I also have not seen any yellow sapphire eggs except TJ's. Because of the viewbombing required, I guess everybody was hiding them as soon as they turned.

I'm not sure it this has been confirmed, but the green Nilia alt hatchling remains green when traded.

Tested this morning with a friend.

I'm excited to puzzle over and complete these new dragons! It's fun to have new things to do, and I love the Florets and am excited to collect more of those. [=

Quick question -- does anyone have any good recommendations/tips for boosting UVs and/or overall views quickly for those sapphires?

9 minutes ago, Pourlemoment said:

I'm not sure it this has been confirmed, but the green Nilia alt hatchling remains green when traded.

Tested this morning with a friend.

Phew, that's good to know...I still don't understand what possible reason there is for them to change when abandoned but it is what it is. As long as we have some way of swapping them around at least.

3 minutes ago, Feathers said:

anyone have any good recommendations/tips for boosting UVs and/or overall views quickly for those sapphires

Put it in more than one hatchery. Different people prefer different hatcheries, so you get more UVs.

Edit: also, choose your day and time. Last night had much more activity as everybody ERd their new eggs. Tonight after midnight should see another surge as ppl try to hatch the new citrine gemshards.

Edited by Fyrebird
more info

Just now, Fyrebird said:

Put it in more than one hatchery. Different people prefer different hatcheries, so you get more UVs.

Thanks!