TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

I'm so frustrated.

I bred all my copper to get the new version but no luck at all. :(

I bred so many florets to celestials and got no new version. After I was done, I read that it's not possible to receive the new versions yet. :(

So I bred some cantos and used eq. All dead. I bred some more cantos and used eq. All dead. :(

Last chance to safe the day is the trading hub where someone offered a ne copper for free... (Last egg-spot due to dead eggs.)

edit: Whoohoo I received the new copper ❤️

Edited by Maxii

1 hour ago, Darth Krande said:

I still have 20+ pages to read back, but I just tried the Nilias even while I'm egglocked. I took a Nilia and a non-nilia, fertilized both, and a BLUE egg auto-abandoned. Then I fertilized two Nilias, and again it's a normal blue egg that was auto-abandoned. 

https://dragcave.net/lineage/pZbI8

Https://dragcave.net/lineage/x309Y

They both look blue to me.....

(Edited to correct the second link)

All abandoned nila eggs, autoed or purposefully, revert to blue. I'm really hoping its not intended. Using two fertilities shouldn't get erased on abandon imo. They were still fertile when the egg was made, I don't get why it would revert. Buuut the longer it goes without anyone saying anything makes me nervous.

1 hour ago, Shokomon said:

Hatchies have to be able to turn. It's the only way we already have adult yellow Sapphires.

I know they currently can and are, i've watched it happen, i've helped it happen. I just don't know that its intended. And hope it isn't, cause 4k is pretty low for hatchies, makes blues too hard. But if you raise the view requirement the yellow egg will be a pain. Hopefully something will get tweaked to help protect blues.

Fortunately, you can still use Influence without changing the color...

For now...

Infi's said on discord that they for one do not intend to do an influence alt. A little too mean for lineages, and I don't think any other artist is itching to do it either.

6 minutes ago, Maxii said:

So I bred some cantos and used eq. All dead. I bred some more cantos and used eq. All dead. :(

Fresh eggs are weaker, its better to wait at least a full day before eqing. Just like fresh eggs get sick easier.

Edited by Tini

Filled myself up with the new Royal hybrid, one orange Floret and two of the Nilia alts.

Once that batch hatches tomorrow I'll breed the rest of my Nilias and maybe stalk the AP for a while.

Hshshdfshkdfjsd remind me to start spreadsheets so I keep track of what I already have and what I still need :D

Found an orange/yellow Gemshard hatchie in a hatchery. It was laid on the 16th (Sunday) from Silver and Gemshard parents.

I’m loving the new Electric hatchling variant so much! So bright and sparky. So now I’m dying to see the adult version, but my oldest hatchling doesn’t want to hatch. I’m not sure if it’s a glitch or not, but normally when I stun the extra day is visible on the time left (I’ve currently got an 8 day left hatchling). But I have an Electric that hatched on the 18th, showing 3 days 10 hours left, and plenty of views (4,587 OV, 819 UV, and 153 clicks), but it isn’t growing up. Have I missed something obvious? Am I absurdly impatient?

1 minute ago, oxoniensis said:

I’m loving the new Electric hatchling variant so much! So bright and sparky. So now I’m dying to see the adult version, but my oldest hatchling doesn’t want to hatch. I’m not sure if it’s a glitch or not, but normally when I stun the extra day is visible on the time left (I’ve currently got an 8 day left hatchling). But I have an Electric that hatched on the 18th, showing 3 days 10 hours left, and plenty of views (4,587 OV, 819 UV, and 153 clicks), but it isn’t growing up. Have I missed something obvious? Am I absurdly impatient?

image.png.a5af729f5780aa58e0c285dc2e10ea40.png

I'm impatient as all get-out so I just bought a couple of Cantos from the marketplace, so at least I'll be able to get a pair of the Ward variant! The EQ Cantos will have to wait until later, I'm not risking that with a full lot of new releases sitting here.

1 hour ago, Seejey said:

Thank you!

Oh, I get it. That'd be very cool, but I don't see it happening. Though it being a different dragon that wasn't released yet would be quite ironic giving the concensus of how overwhelming this mass release was.)

It could simply be a very different looking breed-only ALT floret... 

41 minutes ago, Tini said:

Fresh eggs are weaker, its better to wait at least a full day before eqing. Just like fresh eggs get sick easier.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, missy_ said:

Oh, I meant an ongoing thread for people to announce when they toss CB Blue Sapphires into the AP. :) They wouldn’t show up for a few days, anyway, but it would give more people the opportunity to nab them, either from the AP or in trade.  :)

That would be neat.

@Spiteful_Crow Yes, I meant the glitched one you were showing :) I was wondering which biome the celestial was from, just in case Florets may orient themselves on the partner's biome. But yeah, nvm, seems like a fluke anyway 😕

Turns out using eathquake on 5 freshly bought Cantomaris eggs wasn't that great of an idea 😂

obraz.png.517eb3efe955761d7825463795f4adfc.png

Good thing I left some slots free to reduce casualties in case of bad luck :d

2 hours ago, Seejey said:

Guys, I really think the new Florets can't be hybrids. They are just slightly different. What about the BSAs used on the eggs to see if they change colour? The Cantos, Electrics and Nilia alts are BSA based.

The thing is, we were told specifically (because of a glitch) that the new florets weren't possible yet. We figured that meant the new dragon had to mature to breed it.

And I just had a horrible, horrible thought. Somebody talk me down from the ledge. We've been concentrating on the floret simply because of the shared description. What if this is a hybrid between the old florets and the new royal purple hybrid... for the first double hybrid. 

I'm going to go cry into my omelette now. 

face-screaming-in-fear.png

I know everyone is itching to get green Cantors but

PLEASE DO NOT EQ EGGS UNTIL THEYRE AT LEAST 24H OLD AND AT LEAST SLIGHTLY CRACKED

Based on research and trial runs by the unofficial Discord this is pretty much the first point where your eggs actually have a reasonable chance to live and hatch through the earthquake - save yourself the scroll space and heartbreak!!

14 minutes ago, Lyncerta said:

Turns out using eathquake on 5 freshly bought Cantomaris eggs wasn't that great of an idea 😂

obraz.png.517eb3efe955761d7825463795f4adfc.png

Good thing I left some slots free to reduce casualties in case of bad luck :d

Let me know how long it is before your slots are freed up. A friend lost three two days ago and still shows as egg locked.

1 minute ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

https://dragcave.net/view/K6w7z

My sapphire has over 4,000 OVs and hasn't changed yet? Don't know if anyone has bought this up yet, this thread is long. 

Apparently there is a buffer zone of ~200 or so views on top of the 4k?  At least I recall seeing that here

Oh man... Time to catch new eggs.

It's awesome that we got new alts! We should give old dragons some love instead of just making only new ones!

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Let me know how long it is before your slots are freed up. A friend lost three two days ago and still shows as egg locked.

Ok, I will keep an eye out. Hopefully they free the slots up in one day

You and me both - I have three I was going to EQ myself, but I might ward them instead !

9 hours ago, Kaityn said:

I'm a bit disappointed about the alt Nilias reverting back to normal if abandoned or traded. One of the activities I got into over the holidays is helping people with lineages - either breeding things they are having trouble with or providing unrelated offspring. From that point of view, it feels a bit disheartening to think neither I nor anyone else can help with requests like that. 

Maybe if you hatch them and then trade/gift them?

@Shokomon

Screenshot_20210521-173737.thumb.png.0e4706eb35a075d8774e61153149df35.png

Edited by Lagie
Fixing image

3 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

"This release was worked on, lovingly by the artists, months in advance, with excitement in mind that these new mechanics would bring something fresh and fun to the game. If that's not the case, fine, we can learn from it - "

There are exceptions, but I feel a lot of artists for the game view / experience the game very differently from the user base. 

If you're someone who is super engaged at the higher levels of art creation, and has that emotionally deeper investment, I'm sure going out of the box for zany ways to get dragons is a great way to keep something dear to you fresh.

For users like myself, though, who see this as a slow paced click and wait game, mechanics like this require a lot of time investment and frustration that feels out of place with the core gameplay of "grab a thing, check on it in a few days." The counterpoint to that would be "well look, isn't this dazzling new mechanic a way to alleviate that feeling?", but I just don't feel it meshes well. I play active games to play actively and passive games to play passively. If the only way to get a new character in an action game was to sit around for hours waiting, I'd find it mildly irksome and pace breaking. The reverse is true for the introduction of active mechanics in a passive game.

The other trouble is that DC gameplay doesn't exist independently of other users, and that it's specially limited. It's not JUST actively trying to hunt for an abandoned Sapphire, it's 1) relying on other people to make them and 2) fighting with other people to then snag them. Earthquaking Cantos meanwhile doesn't exist independently from normal gameplay. To get them, you have to waste time and space grabbing a bunch of eggs just so that probably a bunch will die and you get nothing for it, all while you can't work on anything else in the meantime. It's NDs with less effort and risk, but also much less payoff.

While I thus already find the mechanics aggravating and unfun, that feeling is compounded even more by the fact that it's a birthday thing, which historically is a time to get brand new dragons with much less effort than this release is requiring to get not entirely new ones.

DC is just a game, and despite what my lengthy posts might suggest, it's not keeping me up at night when something I dislike happens here. But I do feel there's a disconnect between the general vibe of the user base and the general vibe of the content creators, with this release being a bigger misstep than most. Which isn't to disregard the effort put in and the oft lovely art made, all on a volunteer basis. It's just unfortunate that, again, there seems to sometimes be differing perspectives between players and creators on what the game should be and where it's going.

Agree with this entire thing, but that summary I BOLDED is the nail on the head for why everyone is so frustrated with this release.

I think most people wouldn't mind most of the mechanics, IF the cave had been flooded with those eggs for weeks (since there are sooo many variants released at once. We would really need the flood to continue for quite awhile.) AND if the EQ and willful abandon mechanic did not exist. You can have EQ, but you would need to make the success rate very high for at least canto eggs. Willful abandon is terrible and a step backward because its been years since we've been able to fish things out of the AP with the egg code. Even if I breed an egg and drop it, none of my friends will be able to find it in the AP because it will be a 7 day egg trapped behind a wall of 4 day eggs. Without organizing a mass-breed community day for these dragons, very few people will ever possess a pink egg. You've made them as rare as metal dragons.

2 hours ago, oxoniensis said:

Stunning prevents it from gaining any views and a view is required to hatch or grow. If you teleport it to someone and back* (after removing from hatcheries) it can get views and will grow. 

*only one required to allow views again but you need to do it fast to get it back to you before it grows. Hatchery removal is just to help stall for time. 

Edited by Tini

3 minutes ago, Arwen17 said:

Without organizing a mass-breed community day for these dragons, very few people will ever possess a pink egg. You've made them as rare as metal dragons.

Not a fan of the abandon requirement either but I hardly think this is a fair comparison considering pink Sapphire amounts can easily be influenced by the userbase (e.g. AP Massbreeds) vs a fixed rate at which metallics spawn in biomes lol

Pink sapphires are going to be everywhere in the ap soon enough. People will grab blue eggs just to chuck them back for someone else. Theyre just sparse right now cause nobody has the sapphires to toss, and most people that do have them are going yellow instead.