TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

35 minutes ago, Falorni said:

OH HECK, GEMSHARD SPRITE UPDATE---

I like the irridescence along their sides (especially noticeable on the red). Was that there before? I have some gemshards from when they were first released, but never played around with breeding them.

wow you guys have been busy!  Can't wait to see what the adults look like or how to get some of these.  

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

Wait what? *double-checks*  Okay, what the heck, has it always been like that? Have I never noticed that or did I just forget? Different patterns on their tails! That's pretty cool. 

always been like that! :) its a very small thing to notice, but its been there i assure you :P 

1 minute ago, lexi_ said:

always been like that! :) its a very small thing to notice, but its been there i assure you :P 

Not the males, right? At least it was very hard to notice. Check the wiki.

7 hours ago, Shokomon said:
13 hours ago, Dinala1641882 said:

Found an orange/yellow Gemshard hatchie in a hatchery. It was laid on the 16th (Sunday) from Silver and Gemshard parents.

Do you mind if you can add it to the spreasheet? I can if you can't/ 

Added it right after I posted

7 hours ago, Shokomon said:
13 hours ago, Dinala1641882 said:

image.png.a5af729f5780aa58e0c285dc2e10ea40.png

Expand  

HOW'D YOU GET THESE???!!!

I stalked hatcheries and kept some of the ER hatchies open in tabs to check later just so I could get the images.

3 minutes ago, Seejey said:

Not the males, right? At least it was very hard to notice. Check the wiki.

yeah, youre right.. not on the males, but definitely for the females at the very least :) 

(pre-face this isn't about any of the 'sprite updates' that were the recent design overhaul of certain dragons)

I'm generally a fan of sprite updates and think most are warranted, they usually update really old sprites that no longer fit dc's standards, really tiny edits, and the few that have felt like they weren't absolutely needed I've still liked. But the coppers, which I prefer the old version of, and now the gemshards are making me a little .... o-o;;; apprehensions I guess? I just hope these 'tweakings' of sprites aren't going to become a common thing. I'm an artist and I know how annoying it can be to see old art and know what you'd change now to fix it, but I really don't want to see lots of sprites on dc get tweaked unnecessarily. Now I do actually like the new gemshards fine, I'm just hoping this doesn't become a trend? Cause there's been a lot of those not-really-needed updates recently. Even if you don't hate sprite updates, I don't think coppers or gemshards were at the top of anyone's 'I hope this gets updated' list. Hopefully just a coincidence. 

Edited by Murkydepths

27 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Thank you @Lagie.

Not sure if these guys changed... 

Hmm. I actually thought my first image was s1. Sorry about that! ;)

Uhhh. How far past 4,000 views do sapphire hatchlings have to be to turn yellow? I've just fogged mine because it's sick, but it's still blue. Its stats are currently this: 

Overall views:4,069

Unique views:610

Clicks:22

9 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

Uhhh. How far past 4,000 views do sapphire hatchlings have to be to turn yellow? I've just fogged mine because it's sick, but it's still blue. Its stats are currently this: 

Overall views:4,069

Unique views:610

Clicks:22

Mine switched after it received 4,103 Overall Views and 656 UVs

Edited by Nicola

I used to save old sprites before the Encyclopedia came out, and never deleted them. I'm only going to do one color.

Older on the left, newer on the right.

Manes (beards?) and mustache tassels are bushier.

Tail forks are thicker.

Antlers are less pointy.

Eyes are larger?

gs comp m.png

gs comp f.png

1 hour ago, Sarcastra said:

I can't be here every day. I can't keep track of which day something HAS to breed. Random color hatches was a known variable, from the start, like getting alts of other breeds. Needing to "go check the Wiki" is part of what I mean about the mechanics getting complicated and too numerous to keep track of without needing to consult a user's manual. The mechanics are not "stressing me out" and they are not going to change in a week. I already fully understand them and I am in zero hurry to get them. I fear that these extra steps and special combinations are taking over the game and becoming something that gets more attention in the planning for releases. There are several dragons I do not breed or collect because of the extra hoops and conditions attached to them (coppers, lunars, celestials, etc) and the list is getting longer and longer. It is my choice to not bother with them, I know others really enjoy these. I am not, and I never have, asked that new mechanics not be added. I am asking for balance in the future, before the mechanics stuff gets way out of hand and there won't be much of anything left for me--and those like me--to do here. This has been building up, over time--the tipping point was this massive release of nearly everything needing some mechanic to achieve. It's moved many of people like me, who had just shrugged in silence before, to finally speak up. Maybe our silence was why this huge mechanic dump came about--the devs did not know there was a sizeable segment of players who do not enjoy some of these special add-ons. So I want our voices to be heard and considered.

Not to mention that a notable number of players, myself included, have short-term memory problems. I often struggle to retain information when switching tabs. Checking the wiki is not a viable alternative for me, because on bad days my memory just doesn't last long enough.

This update and all the other various complex alts have just made DC increasingly unfriendly to disabled players.

e: hm. Not a fan of the new heads for gems, it totally changes their vibe in a way I don't care for.

Edited by Guillotine

Seeking opinions here. Thought I'd breed some sapphire eggs to throw into the AP.

I only have 3 cb sapphires.

Should I breed each of them with something else, for 3 potential mixed-breed eggs? Or breed one pb 2g and one mixed-breed, for only 2 potential eggs?

I have two other adult sapphires, both with pretty messy lines. Should I breed those just to potentially have more pinks available?

(Keeping in mind that the dragons may refuse to cooperate altogether and we get no eggs.)

I know I personally prefer pbs, but when it's something rare that I don't have, I don't care what the line is. I actually have a scroll goal to have at least one messy-lined adult of each. (The AP is a lot of help for this.)

Hold the phone. Goofy me was looking at my sunsets. I actually have 8 CB sapphires and 1 2nd gen mixed breed.

The question remains: pbs or mixed breed? Or both, since it turns out I have lots of cbs.

Edited by Fyrebird
I has the dumb. Better now.

1 minute ago, Fyrebird said:

Seeking opinions here. Thought I'd breed some sapphire eggs to throw into the AP.

Should I breed each of them with something else, for 3 potential mixed-breed eggs? Or breed one pb 2g and one mixed-breed, for only 2 potential eggs?

I have two other adult sapphires, both with pretty messy lines. Should I breed those just to potentially have more pinks available?

(Keeping in mind that the dragons may refuse to cooperate altogether and we get no eggs.)

I know I personally prefer pbs, but when it's something rare that I don't have, I don't care what the line is. I actually have a scroll goal to have at least one messy-lined adult of each. (The AP is a lot of help for this.)

I do think that you should breed your messies.  A lot of people are happy to to grab them for freezies, and there are players who like them as adults too.

3 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

Should I breed each of them with something else, for 3 potential mixed-breed eggs?

Id say just breed 3 potential mixed breed offspring and also breed the messies. If you have celestials available than even better!

26 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Mine switched after it received 4,103 Overall Views and 656 UVs

Thank you! I just unfogged, so I'll keep an eye on it. 

I just bred 5 Sapphires as mixes for more results. About to try and abandon them:

Results: Out of the 5 Sapphires I AP'd all 5 turned pink! So there's 5 more pinks up for grabs when they show up.

5 minutes ago, TsunamiFlame said:

If you have celestials available than even better!

I have to ask: what is the deal with the celestials? As I've mentioned before, I recently came back to DC, and I find the AP is almost always full of celestials.

12 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

I would try for a PB.

Edited by Seejey

Just now, Fyrebird said:

I have to ask: what is the deal with the celestials? As I've mentioned before, I recently came back to DC, and I find the AP is almost always full of celestials.

Celestials give multiclutches of up to 4 eggs at a time. So great for massbreeding

1 minute ago, Fyrebird said:

Celestials are the only non-holiday breed that can breed a multi-clutch, meaning more than one egg at once. I don't think there's any proof that it actually increases changes of getting a particular egg, but it helps for massbreeding and such.

9 minutes ago, TsunamiFlame said:

Id say just breed 3 potential mixed breed offspring and also breed the messies. If you have celestials available than even better!

Auto-abandonment doesn't turn them. Unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Seejey said:

Auto-abandonment doesn't turn them. Unfortunately.

But, it provides more sapphires that can be willfully re-abandoned for more pink sapphires.

3 minutes ago, Fyrebird said:

What the others have said is spot on. I bred an Obidar Xeno last week with one and got 1 Celestial and 3 Obidars in one clutch. 

People (including myself) breed their Xeno's with them as it help the chances of getting that Rare Stat Xeno. (The Flowing Queen of all Xenos.)

8 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

Thank you! I just unfogged, so I'll keep an eye on it. 

Welcome. Mine got sick for awhile right after it turned so def keep an eye on it. 🙂