TJ09

2019-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

I like how these do NOT have the typical "halloweeny" colors. Interesting wing anatomy as well, is it inspired by pterosaurs by any chance...?

41 minutes ago, Orchi'dea said:

I like how these do NOT have the typical "halloweeny" colors. Interesting wing anatomy as well, is it inspired by pterosaurs by any chance...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azhdarchidae 

-based  on infi's post: 

3 hours ago, Infinis said:

Because drakes can’t be azhdarchid shaped 

well. I guess they could. Give em little T. rex arms. but that would be weird. |D

Glad y’all like them ;o;

3 hours ago, Infinis said:

Because drakes can’t be azhdarchid shaped 

well. I guess they could. Give em little T. rex arms. but that would be weird. |D

Glad y’all like them ;o;

AHHHHHHH! I knew something about these pinged familiar but now I know! Yes, those guys were TERRIFYING. 😧

1 hour ago, Orchi'dea said:

Yeah, same here. Maybe that's good for a change, compared to last year's Arcanas? 😉

Plus, Caligenes and Despises aren't that halloweeny-colored either.

Honestly I'm just happy whatever dragon they create xD and not so critical as a person.

But I think these go to my top 3 fave halloweens list. They are also somehow close to nature, I literally can feel the misty forest where they are lurking when I look at them. 

Thank you to TJ and the Spriters who have contributed to this year's Halloween party, lol...  I got a late start on the 'game', didn't understand it at first, but once I caught on, I enjoyed it.  I'm just sorry that we weren't able to see and/or keep our final 'game' shot.  I was most curious to see how my last attempt ended up...

I really like the female's pose. Not loving the antlers - really wish they were horns instead, and not in love with the colors, as I have to agree with others, they don't really give off a Halloween vibe. I don't need garish Halloween colors at all, but it'd be nice to have holiday dragons that are at least in the particular holiday's color palette so they stand out more and don't have a more generic release feel to them. This one makes me think of the dragon scroll itself more so than it makes me think of Halloween.

Wow, the adults look absolutely STUNNING!

They don't really look like the typical Halloween dragon, but they do give off a creepy vibe and the lore is scary, so that definitely makes up for it! Would have loved them even more if they had been a bit more... I don't know, swamp-y? Murkier? The art that was shared surely helps with the creepy vibe they have, though ^^

The Arcana's from last year are still my favorite Halloween dragon, but these might be in my top 3!

Thank you spriters!

5 hours ago, Niyaka said:

Well, now that we’ve seen the adults, I think this code is very fitting. 

that is an awesome code for these guys!

i'm almost tempted to freeze a hatchling at each stage because they're so heckin' cute, but i know i'll regret it if i do. next year!

9 hours ago, Sazandora said:

I vastly prefer the female sprite, the male sprite's pose is way too similar to the female Cavern Lurker sprite.

And that's a bad thing? I have seen several people mention this. I happen to love the female Lurker's pose. The dragon itself is quite different from the Lurker. We have many dragons in the cave with poses that are quite similar. I actually like to pair similar poses for breeding. So I really see no problem here.

The adults look awesome- very creepy! I would not want to run into one of these things. 

The female sprite is stunning and amazing. The male sprite is decent, but is pretty heavily outshined by that incredible female sprite. Wow. Gods. I might try and trade all but two males for more females.

20 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

And that's a bad thing? I have seen several people mention this. I happen to love the female Lurker's pose. The dragon itself is quite different from the Lurker. We have many dragons in the cave with poses that are quite similar. I actually like to pair similar poses for breeding. So I really see no problem here.

It feels like literally copy & pasting to get almost the same exact pose and it just seems lazy. I do like Cavern Lurkers too, but I do not consider it a plus towards these new dragons.

1 minute ago, Sazandora said:

It feels like literally copy & pasting to get almost the same exact pose and it just seems lazy. I do like Cavern Lurkers too, but I do not consider it a plus towards these new dragons.

Copying and pasting?  It didn't remind me of the cavern lurker at all.  Not at all.

9 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

Copying and pasting?  It didn't remind me of the cavern lurker at all.  Not at all.

I don't see lurkers, either, and I have a hundred or so of those to compare to. XD

Though my brain is computing these lovely new dragons as Christmas-y rather than Halloween-y. :blink:

It's mostly the wing position that reminds me of Lurkers when I look at these things. I definitely agree with the thought that these are not Halloween-y at all. It's those antlers on the female sprite, they strongly remind me of reindeer and when I think of reindeer I think of Christmas and Santa Claus. But... these definitely are not the worst things I've seen so far, they're quite alright. The colors are quite nice and I like the pose the female is doing.

Edited by Sazandora
eh

21 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

Okay so this edit is pretty bad (I don't know what I'm doing and I don't know how to work with transparency lol), but I can definitely see what Sazandora is getting at.

image.png.436dd8c74b4e003a1db278cc1019ec6d.png

I really like how skull-like those heads are, I'm having sort of a leshen vibes:) and therefore can't imagine them without antlers!

Also, high time to give myself a credit for my treat: 1579809744_owlhalloweentreat20162.png.f5bbb690db071bf292fae97cb3d483a8.png I originally made it for Halloween 2016 because there were way too few owl treats in my basket (apparently just 1 back then).

Even if poses are similar, they're good. Shame that pose isn't for male- I would use it to create funny lineages with similar posed parents ^.^

There are more and more dragons in the cave and it's getting harder and harder to avoid similar poses.

@VixenDra beautiful owl- one of my favorites! 

Edited by Cyberr

True, them having similar poses is not the absolute worst thing around, I just wanted to point that out. I'm quite neutral towards the new dragons (damn it, brain, stop being so forgetful about their names! :dry:) but I tend to feel that way about the vast majority of dragons in the game, anyway.

9 minutes ago, Sazandora said:

I understand how it might give that impression, but poses absolutely can turn out very similar. How such similar poses happen makes more sense when you think about the reason why the poses may have been chosen. In the case of the male Kohraki Dragon, the pose shows much of the dragon and also fits well into a square, which is ideal for Dragon Cave sprites because you can make full use of the space. Additionally, the pose nicely shows depth and expresses superiority, the angle from below dwarfs the viewer and the wings seem to trap the eye. The dragon moreover intimidates with eye contact and a roar. The diagonal alignment of the body and the fact that the neck changes direction to the right not only save space, they also grant the pose a more dynamic look. Hopefully this shows what I mean. Generally, there are a number of poses that can be considered conventional, but they are common for a reason. Vice versa, while it is nice to have variety, it isn't inexplicable why many poses are rarely used.

This is just to give some insight, as an artist. Similar poses don't have to mean that an artist was lazy, and when an artist has not even thought of the other pose, that can even have been a further cause of the resemblance. c:

I'm sorry, am I crazy, or did one of TJ's dragons revert to being a hatchling? :blink:

Edited by Aqub