TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

5 minutes ago, JavaTigress said:

Here is the thing... less resources/less time doesn't necessarily mean that you are STARVING or sacrificing your health, per se.

It may mean you have to work harder to get things done, naturally, but it depends on what you mean by less resources.

My own parents made the sacrifice of taking money they could very EASILY have used in other ways to send me to private school ( and we weren't RICH by any means growing up) but we certainly never went HUNGRY because of it.

I would add, too that ADP's scenario is just one theory. We aren't given that much detail on it in the dragons' descrips.

yes but do dragons have the same resources as humans? =P or are dragons more of a primtiive society in terms of resources, so what they have is food and treasure? do they have clothes, money, and such supplies? 

I don't think it's really comparable 

i guess ultimately it depends on how you view dragons. I don't see dragons as a technologically advanced civilized society like humans have. I see more clans of species isolated from one another except for the few who lore states they socialize with other breeds, hoarding treasure for those that do that, and hunting for food when they're hungry. I don't see them as having human-like society and resources xD thus, when i saw a mother is starving herself for her children, it's because she is not hunting for food, or eating what stores of food she has, while she tries to make sure the egg hatches on time or late

my basic point is dragons are not humans and don't live in a human like society in the wild, and their resources are more what youd' expect of an animal, even an intelligent animal

Edited by Sirithiliel

Ahahaha. I think I can pull this off with the original 6 I picked up. Just have to play my cards right. Tricky, tricky math.

Wait, I'm a bit confused on the spotted hatching cycle. Do we get green if we incubate? Fog for purple, and normal hatching for blue? Is that correct or am I way off?

Just now, Wolfs_Bane said:

Wait, I'm a bit confused on the spotted hatching cycle. Do we get green if we incubate? Fog for purple, and normal hatching for blue? Is that correct or am I way off?

We'll need to wait a bit more to fully confirm purple, but that does seem to be the case.

1 minute ago, cbussiere said:

We'll need to wait a bit more to fully confirm purple, but that does seem to be the case.

That isn't so bad. At least it's fairly simple to actually get the other colors. XD

2 minutes ago, Wolfs_Bane said:

A bit off, I think

3 hours ago, Cinspawn said:

Okay, so I'm trying to make the info as simple and accessible as possible, so I made a little graphic:

EFwIHL8.png

Effectively, it seems just to be that, though. Incubate for green, leave for blue, fog for a day for purple.

If you just fog an egg you get for a day - that will NOT take it down to purple level.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If you just fog an egg you get for a day - that will NOT take it down to purple level.

Depends on your timing, as usual.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

should be specific--fog past 4 days.  Though we don't know yet, do we?  Fog past 3 days?

Finally caught up on the thread.... Thanks for the info about the murder chickens @Fiona! I like knowing what they are based on, that's cool. 

And thanks to @Cinspawn for that very convenient color graphic! That makes it a lot easier for me (people were posting stuff like '> 3 days' or whatever and I always have a hard time remember what the > and < symbols mean....).

The Siyats have an extremely hierarchical society so I imagine that the purples won’t let the green and blue mothers incubate the egg long enough and would forcibly remove them. 

Edited by Corteo

@Fuzzbucket Well yeah, "fog" is a simplification. Fogging by itself doesn't change hatching time. You could fog for a day, then unfog and incubate and probably get a green. We mean fog it so that it hatches a day later than normal (prospectively).

@HeatherMarie I was taught to think of them as alligator mouths. :lol: The alligator wants to eat the larger value, so x<y means that y is larger and x is smaller, and so on.

@Corteo WOW, that is way more brutal than I ever imagined. Forcibly keeping the less mentally capable dragons down, huh? Or is the hatch time = wisdom thing a false cultural concept? The greens and blues should just flee to form their own independent society where they can safely keep their eggs. o_o

Edited by cbussiere

37 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I think of it as, a mother never wants to leave her eggs, so she wants to hatch them within a timeframe that makes sense.

If you live in an area without much food, or many companions... every day spent on an egg is likely a day without food. If you leave them, you’ll likely be gone a very long time and something will get your eggs. So the stressed mothers have to hardcore incubate, even if it means raising the temperature beyond what’s best for the health of the egg.

Conversely, well off moms might only have to amble away from the nest for a few quick minutes to find a meal, or might have companions willing to hunt while they nest. Perhaps these eggs like lower temperatures over a longer amount of time. If you’re not starving, you can do that.

So the answer to why anyone would hatch a green egg despite the social bias is—it’s either that, or starve or likely lose your eggs. Plus as I mentioned above, I don’t think the hierarchy is THAT extreme; a green could still have a good life, just probably won’t be the next leader of the pack. Honestly since these are social dragons it’s probably not even the extreme life or death scenario I envisioned, more like a working mom versus a rich lady. Working class life isn’t pampered, but it’s hardly horrible either.

(Why yes, I DO love nerdy psuedo biology discussions, thank you for asking :D)

@Imzadi haha, I remember that too! XD

I would say I was looking at it more like ADP does.

I am by NO means saying the prejudice is JUST,mind you. ( And perhaps even some of the other dragons think it silly)

That said, having social stratification isn't the same thing as a full blown caste system.

Edited by JavaTigress

2 minutes ago, Corteo said:

The Siyats have an extremely hierarchical society so I imagine that the purples won’t let the green and blue mothers incubate the egg long enough and would forcibly remove them. 

Are you saying that green mothers cannot have purple children?

4 minutes ago, Corteo said:

...Oh, so they are meanies. 

:E

Like them a bit less now.

Gotta say, while I'm not a fan of complex breeding mechanics, I actually REALLY like the new Siyat mechanics, because it's 100% player controlled. No dumb luck, no one biome being infinitely more popular than another, no waiting for the clock or calendar (aside from the egg's own timer), no worrying about what biome or mana the parents adhere to. I am perfectly content with this.

(Also all of the new sprites are beautiful!)

Edited by LibbyLishly

Them's the breaks. I know the more I look at the green Siyat, the more I fall in love with its colors. :wub: And here I was, thinking I'd love the purple version the best, since it's my favorite color.

Makes me kinda wish there was a red variant for Siyats, too. I bet that'd look stunningly gorgeous. Haha.

7 minutes ago, Corteo said:

ahhh it is worse than i suspected!

4 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Well maybe in the wild, odds would be low. But we're humans raising eggs, so we shouldn't have to worry about what breeds what, it's all our time still

3 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Seems to be implying that they can, it's just that the purple dragons in power will not allow it, and will take the egg to force it to hatch sooner if a mother tries to incubate it for too long (incubate in the sense of caring for an egg here, not the BSA).

I wonder if purple parents ever accidentally kill their egg by trying to keep it cool enough to slow hatch time? But wouldn't that also slow development... hmm..

9 minutes ago, Corteo said:

So seriously--what Ruby Eyes said.  Are you saying green dragons won't breed the other colors?

we're probably stealing eggs from Green Mothers in the cave, becuase purples would jealously guard their own eggs. But we can hatch them however we want with out the tyrannical Purple Siyats telling us what to do, so we can make them wahtever color we feel like

i guess in that way, we're helping the Green mothers out by assisting their children to be better than they would be in the wild, beaten down by the purple nobles

Gotta say, though they're pretty, the Siyats might end up being my least favorite dragons.  What an utterly dreary "society" they seem to have.  The more I hear about them, the less I like them.

2 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

So seriously--what Ruby Eyes said.  Are you saying green dragons won't breed the other colors?

they most likely mean in the WILD, green dragons are not allowed to breed purples. But when we get them, we can influence the color however we want it to be

over all, while their life in the wild sucks apparently for blues and greens, when hatched by us, we can give them equal care, greens can be treated just as good as purples

Edited by Sirithiliel