TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

2 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

So seriously--what Ruby Eyes said.  Are you saying green dragons won't breed the other colors?

they most likely mean in the WILD, green dragons are not allowed to breed purples. But when we get them, we can influence the color however we want it to be

over all, while their life in the wild sucks apparently for blues and greens, when hatched by us, we can give them equal care, greens can be treated just as good as purples

Edited by Sirithiliel

Just now, Sirithiliel said:

they most likely mean in the WILD, green dragons are not allowed to breed purples. But when we get them, we can influence the color however we want it to be

Yeah, I think I hate these.

Suddenly, all of you are optimists.

I'd prefer to know *before* starting to make lineage plans.

I went to bed and missed like 9 pages. What happened? xD

Now I imagine that Purples undercook their eggs so they develop poorly just to get a pretty color, yet they’re so maniacal and power thirsty that they stay in charge anyway, just like the old inbred European kings. Ha. 

Now I’m curious, what do people consider the baseline intelligence of DC dragons to be? I tend to think of typical dragons as Smaug like, ie naturally very intelligent, but I feel like a lot of the dragons shown as being “intelligent” here are thought of by their makers as “border collie” sort of intelligence. Although of course you have some notable exceptions.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

Suddenly, all of you are optimists.

I'd prefer to know *before* starting to make lineage plans.

because this is all lore lol, i doubt there is going to be a 'greens cannot possibly breed purples' situation, since Corteo mentioned earlier that this is a mechanic that will not ruin lineages and using multiple colors is part of making lineages

a dragon's lore is often separate from how it works in cave

Would be fun to breed a 3G from green to blue to purple. Generations increasing in social status! :D

@random_dragon_collector Pretty sure Corteo means that's how it works in the wild. I think you have more control over your Siyat eggs on your scroll than the Siyat dragons do. The egg-timing mechanic seems like it would be pretty pointless if it just applied to CBs. Edit: You hate them? Why? Because of the themes of oppression? o_O

@angelicdragonpuppy Yeah I was just wondering that, the only way to slow hatching seems to be to keep it cool, but development occurs more quickly with heat, baby animals generally hatch when they're developed enough to... So wouldn't they just hurt the hatchlings? XD And if I recall correctly, drakes generally have canine-level intelligence. I haven't read LOTR so I don't know much about Smaug, but I think of dragons as sort of human-level at base. With some being like wise, old wizards, and some more kooky and "wild."

Edited by cbussiere

Just now, Cjcrazy said:

I went to bed and missed like 9 pages. What happened? xD

A ton of drama lol drama dragons

4 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

we're probably stealing eggs from Green Mothers in the cave, becuase purples would jealously guard their own eggs. But we can hatch them however we want with out the tyrannical Purple Siyats telling us what to do, so we can make them wahtever color we feel like

i guess in that way, we're helping the Green mothers out by assisting their children to be better than they would be in the wild, beaten down by the purple nobles

It could even BE that dragons raised with humans have... less of those tendencies( thinking of fellfires here)

this is a mechanic that will not ruin lineages

There is nothing to ruin that doesn't exist yet, as opposed to the case of the dark Luminae.

Just now, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Now I imagine that Purples undercook their eggs so they develop poorly, yet they’re so maniacal and power thirsty that they stay in charge anyway, just like the old inbred European kings. Ha. 

Now I’m curious, what do people consider the baseline intelligence of DC dragons to be? I tend to think of typical dragons as Smaug like, ie naturally very intelligent, but I feel like a lot of the dragons shown as being “intelligent” here are “border collie” sort of intelligence. Although of course you have some notable exceptions.

hmm. Since a lot of breeds specifically state they're less intelligent, but in holiday events even the less intelligent dragons can speak and operate like a civilized being, i tend to think of dragons as human level intelligence, and all that involves. Which means, even in one breed, you're going to have smart dragons and less smart ones, just like in humans we're not all 100% the same in terms of knowledge or maturity

the breeds that specifically state they're more bestial and less intelligent are naturally like that to me xD

1 minute ago, cbussiere said:

Would be fun to breed a 3G from green to blue to purple. Generations increasing in social status! :D

@random_dragon_collector Pretty sure Corteo means that's how it works in the wild. I think you have more control over your Siyat eggs on your scroll than the Siyat dragons do. The egg-timing mechanic seems like it would be pretty pointless if it just applied to CBs.

I understand--I'm just saying that I don't like that behavior in the wild.  Depressing, not a dragon I plan to hoard.

oh i agree, but at least the dragons on our scrolls will be better off. I doubt i'll breed them much though, mostly because no real lineage ideas are popping out at me and there is no one dragon that screams 'make a lineage with me!' about them

What are you guys thinking if pairing them with? I think maybe nebulas or simply whites. Carina combos anyone?

Please. These are just pixel dragons and not something found in real life, there's no point in verbally massacring the Siyats. I'm sure they have a good reason to do what they do. But I know for sure I'll be collecting these. Those colors are just amazing. :wub:

EDIT: Definitely going to try green Siyat x green Gemshard and blue Siyat x female Blusang. Maybe I'll pair the purple Siyats with something like gold Lunar Heralds or other yellow-colored dragons.

Edited by Sazandora

5 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

Gotta say, though they're pretty, the Siyats might end up being my least favorite dragons.  What an utterly dreary "society" they seem to have.  The more I hear about them, the less I like them.

Ditto to this. I don't really like the concept of dragons having preferences within their own species when they're shown to be intelligent and sapient.

Like, something like "the males with the brightest feathers get the most females" reads entirely different than "dragons with this color are beat down in society and their offspring are forced to mature early because the dragons with the "better," color don't like them."

It just... Idk. Isn't pleasant even from a lore pov for me and I don't like it.

2 minutes ago, Sazandora said:

I'm sure they have a good reason to do what they do.

never an excuse for purposely taking away something's babies so that they hatch dumber and don't become a equal member of society xD

but anyways, they are just sprites, but the concept behind them is one for interesting conversation because such things do happen in real life (in terms of a higher social standing beating down lower social standing so that they can never rise up through the social ladder and improve their lives )

Edited by Sirithiliel

3 minutes ago, Nightwalkerkey said:

What are you guys thinking if pairing them with? I think maybe nebulas or simply whites. Carina combos anyone?

They look similar to female Dark Luminae in pose and obviously spriter style, I wonder if they will look good with them. Other upright poses like male Greys will probably also work well.

but anyways, they are just sprites, but the concept behind them is one for interesting conversation because such things do happen in real life 

Yup, that's why I don't dislike them. It's terrible, but it's interesting.

Edited by cbussiere

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

never an excuse for purposely taking away something's babies so that they hatch dumber and don't become a equal member of society xD

but anyways, they are just sprites, but the concept behind them is one for interesting conversation because such things do happen in real life

Agreed. While I don't like it, it appears in our real lives too often. 

I'll breed them, because I don't always keep up with every dragons lore and I like them sprite wise.

2 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

They look similar to female Dark Luminae in pose and obviously spriter style, I wonder if they will look good with them. Other upright poses like male Greys will probably also work well.

I like the way you think! I wish I saw more storms in long lineages/checkers

i definitely like vertical sprites with vertical sprites, i like to try and match over all pose and appearance as well as color (so sometimes it is very hard for me to come up with a lineage for a dragon >.O )

things like mints i just cannot find a mate for. Their style, their color..they're too simple of a sprite to go with much more detailed and elaborate sprites for my tastes

Edited by Sirithiliel

12 minutes ago, Nightwalkerkey said:

A ton of drama lol drama dragons

Ah, sounds like fun. (Maybe.) 

Closing thoughts on this release:

- Both very pretty sprites, love the little vampire poses of the pygmies and their cute snarlfaces and the colors on the others

- Green Siyat is my favorite color (NEW GREEN MASTER COLOR, MAKE IT HAPPEN); really wish the blues were the bright cyan they are on the egg. I love me some cyan.

- Not a fan of the lack of different poses in the Siyats. Pretty meh.

- Don't like the Siyat lore at all either. Dragons that pose as friendly happy social critters and then brutally take eggs away from lower ranking members, hmm. Mimics might be little murderous give-you-nightmares hellbat vampires, but at least they're CHEERFULLY HONEST about it!

- Lore alone won't stop me from using a breed, but the combo of lore + prolonged hatch time + like green best anyway probably will (NEW GREEN MASTER COLOR!!)

- Mimic x Dark Myst and Mimic x Pumpkin will be happening on my scroll at some point, STAY TUNED

....okay, don't get me wrong...the other breed is cool for being different colors depending on their location...but hearing the mimics and seeing their lore..and everything. well im glad i got egglocked with 5.