TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

Let me try to make it simple (in this case, my subjective way), this is similar to Minecraft.
Minecraft is plain boring to the average user, especially in creative mode; you're just placing and stacking blocks on top of one another.

But the combinations of blocks and the shapes that they can make, that is cool. But it is tedious.

You can't make a large dragon statue in Minecraft within a limited amount of time without experience, although that's what I really wished that I'm able to do so.

Now, the analogy with DC is not quite accurate because some of DC mechanics are luck based. What I'm comparing, is how people view the different things in life. I'm okay with annoying mechanics as I have gotten through lots of annoying situations too, but if it takes away the fun, take a break. This is not even considered a game to some people.

Edited by BlueLatios
editing

I thought about these spotted guys a lot while trying to fall asleep last night (well, technically this morning). It's still *possible* that the biome has some effect on what color they'll be, we only know that it's not *solely* biome-based. So, it could be something like, each color is more common in a specific biome, but it *also* depends on something time-based. I mean, that's probably not very likely, but it's still possible. 

Looking in hatcheries it seems everything is still hatching green, so.... I really hope it's not something as long-waiting as seasonal. Lunars are bad enough, Seasonals are worse. 

Just now, BlueLatios said:

Let me make it simple, this is similar to Minecraft.
Minecraft is plain boring to the average user, especially in creative mode; you're just placing and stacking blocks on top of one another.

But the combinations of blocks and the shapes that they can make, that is cool. But it is tedious.

You can't make a large dragon statue in Minecraft within a limited amount of time without experience, although that's what I really wished that I'm able to do so.

Now, the analogy with DC is not quite accurate because some of DC mechanics are luck based. What I'm comparing, is how people view the different things in life. I'm okay with annoying mechanics as I have gotten through lots of annoying situations too, but if it takes away the fun, take a break. This is not even considered a game to some people.

however, unlike minecraft, a lot of people do enjoy the basic premise of dragon cave. Which is collect dragons and breed pretty lineages of them. 

the problem with those annoying gimmicky mechanics is that some of them are needlessly complex for such a basic game. WHY do we have to know what phase the moon is in to continue a lineage? Why does a dragon's breeding mechanics have to be kept super secret so that, evne years later, we STILL can't figure it out and make lineages properly?

but the biggest thing is...if those of us dissatisfied with the way things are don't speak up, then things will continue this way. ANd i'd rather we get back to more simple and easy to follow mechanics like random alts that happen through breeding and biome-based colors, instead of ones that require you to make notes on a calendar =P

so if we dont talk about it and make ourselves known, then TJ and the spriters will think everyone loves the way things are and will do it more often

Well, two of my eggs hatched and I can add another couple of green babies to the pile!

Edited by JavaTigress

Another wild theory: what if it depends on the BSAs used on the eggs?

Use Incubate/Influence = green. (guessing those, as I just assume everyone reporting here used them on the first eggs?)

Use Ward = purple.

Use Precognition = blue.

Or something like that?

Would be very mean if one color required earthquake. 😨

Perhaps we should all divvy up our efforts?

Testable Theories:

1. Based on time left when hatched (ie 4d, 3d, 2d...)

2. Based on day when hatched (ie Mon, Tues, Wed...)

3. Based on day caught (ie Mon, Tues, Wed...)

4. Based on BSA use (incubate, influence...)

5. Based on amount of views / unique views (ie 600, 400, 200...)

6. Based on time spent fogged (1d, 12h, 1h...)

Wait-and-see:

A. Based on time of year (3x 4 month chunks)

B. Based on moon phases (ie Lunars)

<s>C. Breed-only</s>

If you would like to 'sign up' to try a particular theory, let me know.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

The spriter has said on the unofficial discord that we have that it's nothing like the mechanics of Dark Luminae (my paraphrase) and that... nevermind.

I'm not sure if I can include screenshots from it, but you can search for it on there.

8 minutes ago, Corteo said:

“DC has a different solar system” was taken out of context and has nothing to do with the dragon.  This is why I am so careful what I say. 

Edited by scalesofgrey

3 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Testable Theories:

Wait-and-see:

C. Breed-only

this list makes me sad =(

1 minute ago, scalesofgrey said:

The spriter has said on the unofficial discord that we have that it's nothing like the mechanics of Dark Luminae (my paraphrase) and that "dc has a different solar system" (direct quote).

I'm not sure if I can include screenshots from it, but you can search for it on there.

not very comforting when we still don't know how Dark Luminas work, exactly xD looks like i'm shoveling this breed into the back end of my scroll of things i never do anything with because they're too annoying

Edited by Sirithiliel

3 minutes ago, Shroomlet said:

Another wild theory: what if it depends on the BSAs used on the eggs?

Use Incubate/Influence = green. (guessing those, as I just assume everyone reporting here used them on the first eggs?)

Use Ward = purple.

Use Precognition = blue.

Or something like that?

Would be very mean if one color required earthquake. 😨

I used all of these on my first batch. They're green, not rainbow. :nyan:😁

3 minutes ago, scalesofgrey said:

"dc has a different solar system" (direct quote).

A different... solar system...

That's not obtuse at all. Sigh.

Now I'm thinking it's 4 month long "seasons," but who knows. Double full moon? Blue moon 12% and Gold moon 84%?? Something similarly needlessly complex?! Wait and See (TM)!

Maybe it'll be something super simple and not annoying and then I'll sound like a jerk, but I've been sour since dark luminas, and solstices, and spinels, and...

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Didn't someone already say that the artist has said (in Discord i'm assuming) that there's no glitch going on anymore, and all three colours can be obtained CB? Am I remembering that wrong?

I'd hate it if they were based on freaking BSAs. No thanks, I'm not going to waste a 2-week-cooldown BSA I otherwise would save for when I actually need it just to get a different colour dragon.

Just now, Crowned_Ladybug said:

Didn't someone already say that the artist has said (in Discord i'm assuming) that there's no glitch going on anymore, and all three colours can be obtained CB? Am I remembering that wrong?

I'd hate it if they were based on freaking BSAs. No thanks, I'm not going to waste a 2-week-cooldown BSA I otherwise would save for when I actually need it just to get a different colour dragon.

Cort said that all 3 of them are obtainable as CBs and once you get the other two, it's simple. The biggest problem is that people have 0 patience to see (me included)

4 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Testable Theories:

Wait-and-see:

C. Breed-only

That's a lot of theories for one draggo. o.o;

You can sign me up for the breeding theory. I have four Glowys so far. I can test one by color, one by holiday, *as we have three holiday dragon groups and three color Glowys here* Which actually adds another possible theory: Color change by breeding with a certain holiday. ex: Green with Christmas, blue with Halloween, purple with Valentines. It's a stretch, but I mean....you never know.

1 minute ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

A different... solar system...

That's not obtuse at all. Sigh.

Now I'm thinking it's 4 month long "seasons," but who knows.

yea...because cryptic and vague things that will take us years or more potentially to figure out is so much fun xD

i think i'm just going to resign and wait until its figured out before i even bother with this dragon. That's IF it gets figured out -.-

but, i can honestly say this has ruined my excitement for these dragons. Even the sprite's quality cannot redeem it, because what use is a nice adult sprite if you can never breed the thing properly? 

@Jazeki

Ah, darn, that would habe been awesome!   😆

Maybe it's alos more than one BSA = green. 1 BSA = blue. 0 BSA = purple.

@angelicdragonpuppy

Good idea, thanks for the list!

I'll definitely keep the testable theories in mind and report my results accordingly.

Got two spotties fogged now to hatch tomorrow. Can't test without BSA anymore, as all are already influenced and incubated...

My colleague will let his hatch without incubate (but he also used influence already...).

To everyone mourning the missing biome-connection: still good to have some from all three possible biomes, as we still have biome-sensitive breeders like the male Coppers, so at least those have a suitable match if you want certain Copper-colors!

“DC has a different solar system” was taken out of context and has nothing to do with the dragon.  This is why I am so careful what I say. 

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

yea...because cryptic and vague things that will take us years or more potentially to figure out is so much fun xD

i think i'm just going to resign and wait until its figured out before i even bother with this dragon. That's IF it gets figured out -.-

but, i can honestly say this has ruined my excitement for these dragons. Even the sprite's quality cannot redeem it, because what use is a nice adult sprite if you can never breed the thing properly? 

I'm also not going to collect any more until we know what's up. 

Again I'm going to feel like a massive whiner if it's something super simple, but as they say, once bitten twice shy.

Perhaps all hatchlings start out green, and we have to use a BSA on them to change their colour? Maybe these adults could have a colour change bsa that changes an adult/hatchling's colour to another colour?

nevermind that doesn't explain why TJ's hatched purple...

Edited by Dohaerys

3 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Cort said that all 3 of them are obtainable as CBs and once you get the other two, it's simple. The biggest problem is that people have 0 patience to see (me included)

So I did remember right! Great, thanks!

Speaking of patience...how about we wait to see if they hatch different tomorrow before we start crying about them being seasonal/The New Luminae?

1 minute ago, Corteo said:

You can be honest and just tell us that the colors are based on the position of the sun in our astrological charts. XD

1 minute ago, Corteo said:

I'll delete the part from my post. Sorry about the misquote! 

People. Eggs have been hatching for twelve hours. Isn’t that a little early to declare that you’re going to stop collecting a dragon? I’m sure the mechanic will be made clear within a couple days. Take a deep breath—it’s a game, so try to find the fun in figuring out the new features.

3 minutes ago, PieMaster said:

People. Eggs have been hatching for twelve hours. Isn’t that a little early to declare that you’re going to stop collecting a dragon? I’m sure the mechanic will be made clear within a couple days. Take a deep breath—it’s a game, so try to find the fun in figuring out the new features.

i gave up on finding fun in obscure mechanics with the Dark Luminas =P maybe if we at least had ever figured out a true way of breeding Luminas i'd feel better about this, but sorry. This game has introduced enough of these 'fun' vague features to make me dread it every time i see them

i dont' want another Dark Lumina breed, that isn't fun at all to me. And since these are made by the same spriter, and our hint is 'DC has a different solar system', I'm afraid that this is just going to be another useless breed

Edited by Sirithiliel

5 minutes ago, PieMaster said:

I just want to figure out how to get purple and be done with it

Two of mine have hatched, both green. A 3rd I've fogged to hatch tomorrow and depending on that eggs result I'll fog the 4th one to hatch the day after if the "Day theory" is correct. This puzzle has me curious. I originally thought it may have been different cycles of the day, splitting 24 hours into three ways and the color you get depends on what time they hatch, like Sunset-sunrise dragons. Or they could also have color changing scales like the Spirit Wards. I'd actually be really happy if it turned out that way. Sure they wouldn't always be purple or blue, etc, but it'd make for interesting lineages and wouldn't look so bad with breeds like gemshards.