TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

i'm just amused that the pygmy murder chicken hatchligns are bigger than the Setsong hatchie i have xD

91503d99f02538d2f0e98f947bd76c03.png

Oh my. My egg hasn’t hatched yet, and I didn’t realize they were THAT big. Oh boy.

3 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

That was probably me, I'm already tempted to re-do the lower half of this lineage! (But it took sooo long!)

"The One You Seek" I wonder why you named him that. xD

Just now, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Imagine these pygmies have a special ability to breed with chickens...

...and they make tiny, murderous cockatrices :P 

(bonus, roosters also appear in cave unannounced!)

Dragon chicken hybrid! Make it happen, please! XD

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

i'm just amused that the pygmy murder chicken hatchligns are bigger than the Setsong hatchie i have xD

They seriously look like they're about to gang up on that poor little hatchie. Also, I like the name "Murder Poultry."

14 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I agree the murder chickens might look awesome with dark mysts if they keep that coloration. And I will never, ever think of them as anything other then murder chickens, regardless of what their name turns out to be, lol. Some nicknames really stick! I kind of like that these seem 'too big' to be pygmies, a lot of the pygmies we have look really tiny and delicate, while these guys are still within general pygmy limits they look much more hardy and strong, I like that.

I am looking forward to breeding Halloween pygmies with my 'murder chickens' XD

8 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

some hatchlings are bigger than others. another example of tiny is ridgewings.

and gendered soulpeace hatchlings are as big as pygmie adults!

Edited by Vict
being nit-picky over punctiation

2 minutes ago, Vict said:

some hatchlings are bigger than others. another example of tiny is ridgewings

indeed, it's when Pygmy hatchlings are giants that i am amused =P

I adore the tiny hatchilngs. To be able to get such detail and adorableness in such a tiny sprite is a masterful feat

I highly doubt these dragons will have a really terrible mechanic to figure out. But I do loathe every time I hear a new breed has some different mechanic, because I'm truly expecting a Dark Luminae or Gemshard-esque mechanic. How many breeds now have weird mechanics? It is getting hard to keep track of them all. In a few years, are a third or more of the breeds going to have these weird mechanics? I don't really want to have to remember every single mechanic for dozens of breeds. I find Lunar Heralds to be a tad tedious; FireGems even more so. Good thing we have people willing to figure these things out, and aid the rest of us with the websites and threads. And despite being an at-home disabled mother who spends most of her life on DC, I still have difficulties with certain breeds. Time gets away from me a lot, so of course missing windows can frustrate me. I still work on them from time to time when I DO have the time, but that's rarely. One breed I have never done is Gemshards, because I'm not willing to clog up egg space and wait 3 days to figure out if this egg I just bred is the correct color to continue the lineage. I also haven't really bred Nebulas either due to waiting until the 2nd stage to figure out what color it is. Yeah, 50/50 chance is better, but that's still 5 days of my life scroll space wasted if it's the wrong one. I'm just recently tackling a lineage that incorporates both because I found it extremely beautiful—and NOT because of the challenge involved. I also don't want another breed where we can't figure it out for two years plus. There's even simple lineages out there that are already taking forever due to them throwing the wrong breed constantly, or never breeding at all. I'm currently working on a lineage that has taken me over a year with weekly breedings. Now some breeds we have to worry about time of day, the moon cycle, them possibly being the wrong color... Kudos to those who are willing to breed these lineages on a constant basis! For the most part, my butt is NOT! And that goes for a lot of others, too. These mechanics can equal a lot of people hating a certain breed and never touching them, depending on the mechanic. How popular are Gemshards versus a breed with zero mechanics what-so-ever? Gemshards are so pretty, but I barely touch them because of the mechanic. Why would anyone want a dragon hated/loathed/disliked/nevertouchedever because of how it bred? And only because of how it bred? I just... I don't understand why there's even a need for weird mechanics that frustrate so many people, myself included.

HI friends, a couple things...

1. I can confirm that luminae are influenced by the moon and it transitions in waves. Unfortunately, the ratios have been influencing the outcome to make it way less predictable than I had hoped. Maybe something to look into.  But for now you have “official” confirmation. 

2. I have learned from the Dark Lumina mistake.  I don’t play with a focus on lineages but I have learned not to break them. 

3. The mechinism for these is reliable and will not break lineages*. 

4. I love you all and let’s wait and see how it works before we set everything on fire. 

20 minutes ago, Aalbiel said:

I still think they're way too big to be a pygmy, but that's the only flaw I can find with them. Murder chickens 5eva ❤️

(from the ultimate guide)

SPRITE AND CONCEPT GUIDELINES, SIZES, AND OTHER NOTES

• Sprite size requirements are:
    • Preferable size is between 40-100 pixels in both dimensions.
      • If the sprite must be larger, it's preferred that it is only larger in one dimension. The absolute max is 120 pixels in one direction.
    • Sprites with close to square aspect ratios should be between 60-90 pixels. 
    • For small-sprite pygmies, a good size limit is 50x50 (or smaller). Non-square aspect ratios, a good size to aim for is 30x50. Pygmy sizes are very flexible, however.
    • Most hatchling sprites are around 40x40 pixels.

Note that no where does it say pygmy hatchlings have to be smaller than regular hatchlings. I'm sure there was a reason we picked that size. It couldn't have simply been a matter of "Oh shoot. Those are big babies. Oh well, it's too much of a pain in the patoot to make them smaller."

:P

It does seem strange how the gargoyle hatchies are as big as a regular adult pygmy sprite... Maybe they're brood parasites, and the dragons aren't actually pygmies, but they just lay their eggs in pygmy nests because it's less risky than potentially getting caught by a much bigger mother?

I have determined to make an experiment of hatching my spotties.

I hatched two today... findings? Two new green bebes to add to the green pile.

I hold to the theory that it is a different color each day. AND I determine to prove whether or not this is SO. Tomorrow I will hatch two more, and two more the day after that, and shall inform everyone of my findings. IF they are day influenced, well, tomorrow I should get a different color. I can't see that they are random OR we'd have purples and blues hatching out, too. AND clearly not biome related, as others have said OR again, blues and purples would be appearing already.  * Does mad dragon science laughter* NOW For the experiment to BEGIN!

ETA! I wonder IF that subject deserves its own thread, perhaps?

Edited by JavaTigress

3 minutes ago, Corteo said:

1. I can confirm that luminae are influenced by the moon and it transitions in waves. Unfortunately, the ratios have been influencing the outcome to make it way less predictable than I had hoped. Maybe something to look into.  But for now you have “official” confirmation. 

2. I have learned from the Dark Lumina mistake.  I don’t play with a focus on lineages but I have learned not to break them. 

4. I love you all and let’s wait and see how it works before we set everything on fire. 

Your post is most appreciated!

I love the fact that everyone is thinking of super clever names for their devilishly evil chicken draggos. I figured I'd share my own names.

765397396_DemonChickens.png.4e5e987ab61e0ba6f1e41af7ed1deb27.png

4 minutes ago, Corteo said:

Oh, nice. Thank you so much for letting us know! ^_^

4 minutes ago, Corteo said:

Thank you very much for this post!!  (and I totally laughed at 'before we set everything on fire'.)

2 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

@Predat0rs Fire Gems are more tedious than Lunar Heralds?? I'd much rather have to wait an hour or two than a few days.

I can personally attest that Fire Gems are much simpler than Lunar Heralds, lol! Lunars you have to go off site to see, but Fire Gems just take a little bit of memorization to get right.

Edited by Whirlaway

Side eyein' that * 😂 bless you tho Corteo. Super relieved they won't be anything like Lumina.

I dislike Nebula Dragons mechanism for the reason that you can only find out the color at S2. Definetly prefer Gemshard-esque breeds over Nebula-esque breeds.

I think that once TJ's adults grow up their name and descriptions will help us find how these work.

7 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

It does seem strange how the gargoyle hatchies are as big as a regular adult pygmy sprite... Maybe they're brood parasites, and the dragons aren't actually pygmies, but they just lay their eggs in pygmy nests because it's less risky than potentially getting caught by a much bigger mother?

That was my thought after I saw them hatched, but I'm unsure if we'd get anything like that on DC considering how complicated it could be to implement. How do you determine breeding group for something that is a parasite to pygmies but is too big to be a pygmy?

A really, really neat idea though.

ETA: Plus, if it was a parasite, I'd expect the egg description to reflect that. "This tiny egg looks oddly familiar." "This tiny egg is the biggest in a group of several." etc

Edited by Crowned_Ladybug

8 minutes ago, Corteo said:

Woo! Confirmation! And reassurances! And *!

Personally I don't mind the wait with Nebulas, but that might just be because I don't yet have my scroll-goals of any Nebula color (and I don't make lineages) so it doesn't matter too much to me. Lunars are the hardest for me because I always forget to check before breeding, or miss the window of the color I need by like a day, and it's not nearly as easy to wait as Fire Gems or such.

8 minutes ago, Corteo said:

Thanks for clarifying! Good to know we're not looking at another lumina, so that's cleared up. Hoping as well for the thread to still be in one piece by the time we figure out how these dragons work. XD Quick, hide the matches, before it's too late!

20 minutes ago, Whirlaway said:

I don't believe it is by biome. I've had Forest, Alpine and Coast all green hatched on the 31st. I believe the mechanic is based off hatch date.

yea, my forest and coast ones are green too