TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

27 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Things couldn't hatch before exactly midnight cave time, so everything that's hatched so far has still been on the same day (July 31st, cave time).

Those were all caught on the same day too, right? If it's date-based, it could go by either when the egg is laid or when it hatches. Though Suns also have the same egg and go by hatch time, whereas the existing time-variable breeds that go by laying/catching time have different eggs.

Huh.... all six of mine are green. Will wait for smarter people to figure this out, before I collect more.

4 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i dont' want another Dark Lumina breed, that isn't fun at all to me. And since these are made by the same spriter, and our hint is 'DC has a different solar system', I'm afraid that this is just going to be another useless breed

That is no hint. See also

11 minutes ago, Corteo said:

“DC has a different solar system” was taken out of context and has nothing to do with the dragon.  This is why I am so careful what I say. 

1 minute ago, Syiren said:

Two of mine have hatched, both green. A 3rd I've fogged to hatch tomorrow and depending on that eggs result I'll fog the 4th one to hatch the day after if the "Day theory" is correct. This puzzle has me curious. I originally thought it may have been different cycles of the day, splitting 24 hours into three ways and the color you get depends on what time they hatch, like Sunset-sunrise dragons. Or they could also have color changing scales like the Spirit Wards. I'd actually be really happy if it turned out that way. Sure they wouldn't always be purple or blue, etc, but it'd make for interesting lineages and wouldn't look so bad with breeds like gemshards.

except spirit wards didn't have specific hatchling and dragon sprites for each light stage, they had the same sprite and it just shifted, so i don't think that's the case =( these have individual sprites for each color

I just hope it's not going to be another thing like the spinels where it's impossible to get a color to breed true in a lineage because they only breed blues with dragons with water mana or from the coast biome or whatever. I really like the look of spinels but it is impossible to use them in a lot of lineages because of that. Colors varying by the day the egg was laid or something like that would be OK.

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

That is no hint. See also

ah i see. still, not much hope on my part

Dark Luminas have been out for 2...years. 2 years. 2 fricken years xD

and we cannot breed them true still, because we cannot figure out how they work. So sorry people, if i'm cynical and pessimistic =P but i play DC to collect dragons and breed lineages, and when you get a dragon that's like that, it really ruins any attempts to make lineages with them when they have some random lucky mechanic that throws every careful planned lineage out the window

i really really REALLY hope these are relatively simple to get, but my cynical mind is telling me they're just going to be another Dark LUmina, a mystery we'll never figure out and the spriter will never reveal to us, because that isn't 'fun'

2 minutes ago, tjekan said:

I just hope it's not going to be another thing like the spinels where it's impossible to get a color to breed true in a lineage because they only breed blues with dragons with water mana or from the coast biome or whatever. I really like the look of spinels but it is impossible to use them in a lot of lineages because of that. Colors varying by the day the egg was laid or something like that would be OK.

Spinelsl Purebreds are supposed to be 50/50 (even the artist backs this up) and TJ hasn't gotten around to fixing it

Just for stats: 4 eggs with glowing spots, all caught on July 29th in forest biome, all hatched green today.

Edited by suane_lightfurr

I don't have the patience to figure out the mechanics either. But we know the release was on the 29th and TJ's hatchies came out purple, which hatched on the 29th. Everyone else has had there's hatch on the 31st (three days in all) and they are green. Maybe it is a day for each, considering we have seen purple on the 29th and green on the 31st and, of TJ's hatchies, the purple is first, blue second and green third and last? Maybe blues would have hatched in that day between the purples that hatched for TJ and the greens that have hatched for everyone else on the 31st?

6 hours ago, Crowned_Ladybug said:

Got the names "Kentucky Die Chicken" and "Poultry of Death" for my murder chickens last night, as well as "The Plot Chickens" for an offspring (I'll decide based on adult sprites whether I'll breed them PB or checker)

TJ's hatchies still have so long until they grow up and I'm impatient

Name one of mine Dazzling Death Chicken because it had "Daz" in its code. 😛 All aboard the murder chicken train!

Welp. I was hoping to see by morning ecstatic claims of blue and purple hatchies, but shoot. This is definitely gonna take awhile to figure out.

I think @angelicdragonpuppy said it best some pages ago. Interesting twists on a dragon collecting seems cool in theory except for when it becomes tedious, and if things over-complicate, people will just get annoyed instead of excited.

8 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

except spirit wards didn't have specific hatchling and dragon sprites for each light stage, they had the same sprite and it just shifted, so i don't think that's the case =( these have individual sprites for each color

That's true, but the Spirit Wards also didn't have altered color variations either. Sure, their scales turned more bright and orange, but it wasn't like it offered anything other than going from dark purplish-black to glowy orange. 🤔

With these you get three very different colors, so it could really be anything. 

Edited by Syiren
typos are evil.

Yeah, complex mechanics aren't fun in the context of DC. Even extremely random breeds aren't fun; I have an inbred stripe line that gave wrong colors for ages, and that was just for two per gen! Gemshards I only have a line for because of a breeding project that's all about taking advantage of wrong-colors, because it's otherwise just too annoying.

I LIKE the Lunar Herald sprite. I do not build lines with them, because it's a pain. Fire Gems I like A Lot, but they're a pain, just to less of an extent than Lunar Heralds. Spinels have been broken for months. Celestials I don't breed because having to corporealize them beforehand is a pain.

12 minutes ago, PieMaster said:

People. Eggs have been hatching for twelve hours. Isn’t that a little early to declare that you’re going to stop collecting a dragon? I’m sure the mechanic will be made clear within a couple days. Take a deep breath—it’s a game, so try to find the fun in figuring out the new features.

I'm constantly going back and forth between feeling like that, and feeling like 'oh crap is this going to be another Dark Lumina??'. Yes, it's relatively early and giving up so soon is only going to hurt you in the long run, but we *do* have legit reasons to be concerned about a random variant mechanic. Dark Luminas. That's the biggest fear, that they will turn out to be like Dark Luminas, a breed we *still* don't fully understand the mechanics of after almost two full years in the cave. It is more likely that the mechanics here will be much simpler then that, but until we know for sure there is definite cause for concern. 

Psssttt...while all this is going on, there are some really nice-looking checkers in the AP, all of them under 4 days, awaiting ers...

1 hour ago, BlueLatios said:

~Removed~

except we dont' have to stop posting lol. Just because it's not all sunshine and rainbows and happy glowing compliments doens't mean we need to stop posting

we're FIGURING THIS OUT and talking about our frustration with vague mechanics at the same time

if you have a problem with what we are saying,t here is a very easy solution: Leave the thread or ignore us, and skip to the happy go lucky 'everything is FANTASTIC' posts lol

there is no rule that we cannot be upset over a mechanic that ruins any breeding plans and there is no rule we cannot talk about it, so no. I'm not going to stop posting 

it doens't matter how long we've played or what dragons we have. A lot of us play this game for the lineages we can breed, and when these 'fun' mechanics make it impossible to breed lineages, we have a right to be frustrated about it. Having fancy things on our scroll doesn't mean we lose our right to that

Edited by purpledragonclaw

I wish I'd thought to pick up some ap eggs, and hatch them before egg locking myself with more new release eggs

And my Spotted egg hatched, and *think* its green, I honestly cannot tell. I wanted purple. xD

@BlueLatios If the venting is upsetting you, you don't have to read this thread. But you don't get to tell people to stop posting just because you don't like what they are saying. I haven't yet seen anything posted here that actually breaks forum rules, so there is no reason to tell someone to stop posting. If you don't like what someone is saying don't read it. (I'm not trying to be mean here, I have literally had to step away from threads that upset me, but I've learned that that is *my* issue and has nothing to do with other people.)

I thought the mechanics of Luminae were already all but confirmed? It's definitely not a total mystery, folks.

Edited by scalesofgrey

I completely do not mind with un-fantastic posts.

I have a problem with you easily using the word "useless" and such.

And if you won't stop posting, I'm not going to leave the thread or ignore you guys either.

1 minute ago, Brekke said:

Psssttt...while all this is going on, there are some really nice-looking checkers in the AP, all of them under 4 days, awaiting ers...

*Throws self head-first into the AP*

1 minute ago, Cjcrazy said:

And my Spotted egg hatched, and *think* its green, I honestly cannot tell. I wanted purple. xD

Maybe the trick is that if we squint really hard we'll see purple or blue. :lol:

2 minutes ago, BlueLatios said:

but I need you guys to stop posting.

That's not really how the Internet works. If you "need" other people to stop talking on a forum not owned by yourself, you kind of have to close the browser window.

Lol, yes. My astigmatism and nearsightedness will make that easier. 

Just now, BlueLatios said:

I completely do not mind with un-fantastic posts.

I have a problem with you easily using the word "useless" and such.

And if you won't stop posting, I'm not going to leave the thread or ignore you guys either.

useless to ME. 

I breed for lineages. I make pretty checkers that i enjoy looking at and making bigger checkers with.

And if a dragon will not breed true, and there is no way to figure out HOW to breed it true, then TO ME it is useless, becuase it's just a fancy sprite sitting on my scroll that i cannot do anything with, and i dont' even get the little thrill of accomplishment at having caught it in the cave like i do with Cheeses or Papers

so..yes. TO ME, it will be a useless dragon if it has Dark Lumina breeding habits, because it is 0 use for lineages

3 hours ago, Seriva Senkalora said:

No one NEEDS to stay and play a game he/she dislikes. ;)

Honestly the most anooying thing on this game is the whining and complaining in the forums.

That's why I'm not really active here and spent most of my time reading instead of writing.

Think I'll go back to this and enjoy my dragons and the collecting.

🙌