TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

4 minutes ago, Brekke said:

Psssttt...while all this is going on, there are some really nice-looking checkers in the AP, all of them under 4 days, awaiting ers...

I've caught so many good things in the AP in the past two days, it's awesome! I don't want more than two of each new release until I see the adult sprite, so I've just been picking up CBs and some gorgeous lineages from the AP and hatching them within minutes, it's great. This is why I love releases with lots of new sprites - they push the AP time down a ton.

34 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Perhaps we should all divvy up our efforts?

Testable Theories:

1. Based on time left when hatched (ie 4d, 3d, 2d...)

2. Based on day when hatched (ie Mon, Tues, Wed...)

3. Based on day caught (ie Mon, Tues, Wed...)

4. Based on BSA use (incubate, influence...)

5. Based on amount of views / unique views (ie 600, 400, 200...)

6. Based on time spent fogged (1d, 12h, 1h...)

Wait-and-see:

A. Based on time of year (3x 4 month chunks)

B. Based on moon phases (ie Lunars)

<s>C. Breed-only</s>

If you would like to 'sign up' to try a particular theory, let me know.

I'm planning to test out theory #1 if they don't turn out to be day based in one way or another tomorrow. I will get myself a fourth glowy egg later in the evening just so I'll have eggs from all three days in any case. I also have two eggs from the 29th so even if they they are day based I can probably still do some testing with these two to see whether it is the catching or hatching date that matters.

I just wanna know. Lol. Maybe you're right, and it is one color a day and cycles in 3"s, based on TJ's and ours

7 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

ah i see. still, not much hope on my part

Dark Luminas have been out for 2...years. 2 years. 2 fricken years xD

and we cannot breed them true still, because we cannot figure out how they work.

[...]

Since those Dark Luminas seem to be your nightmare, maybe this could help a little:

"Summary: Based on data gathered, the Luminae Family Breeding Cycle is based on the Cirion Lunar Cycle, where Dark Luminae are most available during the Cirion new moon, and 'Light' Luminae are most available during the Cirion full moon. The ratio of Dark Luminae to Luminae on phases in-between the new and full moons is not entirely certain, but overall, the closer Cirion is to full moon phase, the easier it will be to obtain Luminae, and the closer Cirion is to new moon phase. the easier it will be to obtain Dark Luminae."

From the Dark Lumina breeding theories thread.

So when I need a Light Lumina , I breed on Cirion full moon, when I need a Dark Lumina, I breed on Cirion new moon. Since that one makes a complete cycle in 15 or 16 days, I can try every two weeks for the Lumina I need, with a near 100% chance to get the right colour.

Near 100% for the right colour every two weeks sounds a lot better than "never figured it out in two fricking years, so nothing can be done with them", no ?

Many thanks to all the great people in that thread ! :-)

6 minutes ago, scalesofgrey said:

I thought the mechanics of Luminae were already all but confirmed? It's definitely not a total mystery, folks.

The problem is that it's "all but confirmed." Meaning we're not sure because no one ever said yes or no.

Regarding spotties, I was hoping for the 12 hour colors. It might really be day-based.

Edited by Jazeki

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

I breed for lineages. I make pretty checkers that i enjoy looking at and making bigger checkers with.

And if a dragon will not breed true, and there is no way to figure out HOW to breed it true, then TO ME it is useless, becuase it's just a fancy sprite sitting on my scroll that i cannot do anything with, and i dont' even get the little thrill of accomplishment at having caught it in the cave like i do with Cheeses or Papers 

so..yes. TO ME, it will be a useless dragon if it has Dark Lumina breeding habits, because it is 0 use for lineages 

Jeez, and I thought these "random mechanics" perhaps would make a proper lineage very valuable .-.

Then wait and see if that's true. It's still more useful than not releasing any new dragons (or in your case, as useless).

4 minutes ago, BlueLatios said:

This. This ticked me off!

Please, if you don't like it, you can rant all over at TJ09, but I need you guys to stop posting. I'm actually not seeing a positive side here.

I stand on neutral ground and agree with both sides. Sure, complaining sucks and it's not fun for others to read when they can enjoy the mystery the new eggs present, but the 'vets' have a reason to express their annoyance. Not to mention many of us have jobs and busy lives and this game is something we do to pass the time and escape reality for a short while. 

Both sides have valid arguments, and trying to figure this mystery out can be fun and as more times goes by and I try to think of the possibilities, it's also a pain that we might have to wait to get the different colors and the possibility that their might not be a CB purple or blue and they're bred only. 

1 minute ago, Syiren said:

... it's also a pain that we might have to wait to get the different colors and the possibility that their might not be a CB purple or blue and they're bred only. 

I think a little while ago someone mentioned the spriter confirmed you can get all three colors as caveborns? Or did I read wrong? I did a lot of catching up. :wacko:

Just now, BlueLatios said:

Jeez, and I thought these "random mechanics" perhaps would make a proper lineage very valuable .-.

Then wait and see if that's true. It's still more useful than not releasing any new dragons (or in your case, as useless).

i don't breed things to trade for valuables. No one wants my checkers or my stairsteps or my spiral lineages. No one cares about my dragons but me lol, so the 'value' of a lineage doesn't matter becuase as far as i've been able to tell in 8 years on this site, people ONLY care about 2nd gen prizes and 2nd gen spriter alts, or very specific checkers that i don't have =P

sure, a dragon is useful in that it's a pretty sprite. How very lovely, it is indeed a pretty sprite. But if i can't make lineages, which is how i play this game, then i do tend to view it as less of a useful dragon than other breeds that i CAN make nice checkers out of

So all that said, we still haven't figured it out. Well, I for one grabbed another spotted egg and I'm hoping again. And waiting for my reds to get off Cooldown. I hate BSA Cooldown waits. :P

4 minutes ago, Syiren said:

I stand on neutral ground and agree with both sides. Sure, complaining sucks and it's not fun for others to read when they can enjoy the mystery the new eggs present, but the 'vets' have a reason to express their annoyance. Not to mention many of us have jobs and busy lives and this game is something we do to pass the time and escape reality for a short while. 

Both sides have valid arguments, and trying to figure this mystery out can be fun and as more times goes by and I try to think of the possibilities, it's also a pain that we might have to wait to get the different colors and the possibility that their might not be a CB purple or blue and they're bred only. 

Totally agreed, I'm pretty neutral and can see both sides, but honestly time will tell us. No point in getting too upset one wad or the other

7 minutes ago, Lantean_Pegasus said:

Since those Dark Luminas seem to be your nightmare, maybe this could help a little:

From the Dark Lumina breeding theories thread.

So when I need a Light Lumina , I breed on Cirion full moon, when I need a Dark Lumina, I breed on Cirion new moon. Since that one makes a complete cycle in 15 or 16 days, I can try every two weeks for the Lumina I need, with a near 100% chance to get the right colour.

Near 100% for the right colour every two weeks sounds a lot better than "never figured it out in two fricking years, so nothing can be done with them", no ?

Many thanks to all the great people in that thread ! 🙂

moon phases ._. that's all. I dont' want to deal with that. I'll just continue to leave the Dark Luminas stagnating at the bottom of my scroll. I'm not keeping track of moon phases to do a lineage, carefully checking a calender to make sure the date is exactly right for the egg i need lol

sorry for my pessimism. but these are made by the same spriter, they're very likely to have a similar, very tedious and annoying mechanic to them.

i hope i'm wrong

i'll stop offending peoples' sensitive feelings with my misgivings, frustrations, and worries about the future of this dragon breed, and indeed worry for the future of DC in general if this becomes a common thing since it's so much 'fun'

i didn't realize having a opinion and having some worries was such a bother to people =P 

Edited by Sirithiliel

After 9 years of playing, I'm probably also a 'vet', but not annoyed, merely curious.

I'm also kind of relieved that I was easily able to get more, so they may not even be too uncommon.

edit: for moon phases, a calendar isn't really needed. The site itself has a "time reference" in the Help section. I think on the default skin, it can also be reached by clicking the clock?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

10 minutes ago, BlueLatios said:

And you guys are still complaining? Wow, please, do make your own adoptables website.

You can all ignore me because I'm a new person, but veterans are just acting like they're Kings, aren't they? Sure I have not as much experience and troubles as you guys yet, but here's the thing:

Please, if you don't like it, you can rant all over at TJ09, but I need you guys to stop posting. I'm actually not seeing a positive side here.

Hey, if you're new I'm not going to hold that against you, but us vets have seen some really annoying (or at least disappointing) things:

- Second year of Solstice release, when they were first breedable, they all randomly went blue winged. After people had spent an entire year planning for a week long breeding period. Even when some were allowed to go rose winged, it was based on a not previously established mechanic and, again, many collecting plans a year in the making were dashed.

- When Spinels came out, people had oodles of awesome pairing ideas for both colors. Then we found out greens weren't just breed only, they were very specific breed onlys. Many specific lineages became impossible. Much sad.

- Gemshards. You have to spend 2 days to hatch an egg that has only a 1/3rd chance of being the right color. Again, not fun.

Now, mileage will vary--are you into lineages? If you aren't much of the above seems silly to you, I'd wager, buttt... I've been playing this game 10+ years. If I just wanted to collect any sprite, the game would've gone stale 9 years ago. Lineages are the reason I've stayed a decade--and the reason I get frustrated with overly complex mechanics.

Also, progress on this site in terms of simple updates is notoriously slow. Again, you're new, but I've sat here 3, 4, 5+ years waiting for simple things like a market, for groups to better sort dragons, for the return of bygone holidays. Simple things like showing what time exactly a dragon comes off cooldown rather than a vague "1 day" which could mean 5 minutes or 23 hours still haven't been changed, Prizes are still a hot mess in terms of how unobtainable and random they are to obtain and how much power they wield in trades, commons that are just a  little more common than other commons dominating them so badly in breeding results you won't see the normal common egg instead of the more common egg for a WHOLE YEAR...

So I've seen some things. I like DC. I'd have left if I didn't. I just see the potential for it to be so much more--as do many others. 

5 minutes ago, Toasttt said:

I think a little while ago someone mentioned the spriter confirmed you can get all three colors as caveborns? Or did I read wrong? I did a lot of catching up. :wacko:

Ah, I see. I did glance at that as I scrolled through, but I assumed they were talking about another breed. Whoops. Guess, that's what I get for assuming. ^_^; my bad.

6 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

The problem is that it's "all but confirmed." Meaning we're not sure because no one ever said yes or no.

Regarding spotties, I was hoping for the 12 hour colors. It might really be day-based.

The theory may not be confirmed, but it works. Whenever I needed a certain colour of Lumina, I went and bred/caught it in the time window I mentioned in my post above. Worked every time. So either I'M monstrously lucky (and others as well), or the theory is sound and applicable. I don't need anything official, I just need it to work. Which it seems to do.

About this guys:

I still like the idea that the Spotties will just cycle through their colours with time. Like the Nocturnal through the night/day form, only with longer intervals.

1 minute ago, Syiren said:

So, you're saying that vets have probably gone through a lot of mechanics for years and adding that to their busy lives, it got to the point where a new release made them unable to wait for clarification for a long time? I agree with whatever reason they have to express their annoyance. I just don't like people sounding like they're ungrateful (clarified already, the word useless is used subjectively), and the time of posting. Still around 3 days after posting. And like he said:

1 minute ago, Nightwalkerkey said:

Totally agreed, I'm pretty neutral and can see both sides, but honestly time will tell us. No point in getting too upset one wad or the other 

Time. So, can we just wait before making assumptions?

21 minutes ago, BlueLatios said:

Block them. It's what I do. I need to keep positive and happy for health reasons, so I block users that upset me. Personal I enjoy the chaos and speculation so I want to keep reading the thread. It's a good solution.

Edited by Carmelita Fox

Again, guys, I think everybody is leaping to conclusions way to early. We're not even a day into eggs hatching; take a breather and see if the mechanic becomes clear soon before freaking out. There is nothing at this point to suggest lineages with these new breeds will be impossible, outside of wild speculation.

The breed(s) with the longest interval would be the Seasonal.

Just wait until we get a breed that changes only once per year XD

Here's what I always think during these controversies--if folks would just let everybody vent who wants to without taking them to task, the threads would be half as long and the venters would feel better after awhile.  The drama comes from folks giving the venters a hard time.  Just let folks relieve their frustrations and bond with others over them, and things would calm down.  The "stop complaining" folks are fueling the fire just as much as the folks who are frustrated.

Just now, Carmelita Fox said:

Block them. It's what I do. I need to keep positive and happy for health reasons, so I block users that upset me. Personal I enjoy the chaos ans speculation so I want to keep reading the thread. It's a good solution.

a perfect solution. Everybody's happy.

Those of us that need to vent frustration can do so, and those that require only happy and positive things to read can do so

My method for dealing with all the Wow-Special-Breeding-Mechanisms dragons is that I have a bunch of extra luminas, firegems, lunar heralds, etc with junk lineages and whenever I want to breed my lineages I breed one of the extras with a Halloween dragon first to see if it comes out right or not before breeding the lineage I want. If not, I ignore it and try again some other day. I don't have time to keep a Dragon Cave ovulation calendar, and I can't be online every single day, so if I miss "peak lumina full moon day" that's just too bad. I have other lineages to work on. 🙂

@Lantean_Pegasus unfortunately, as a long time Lumina breeder, I can tell you that just breeding at the right moon time doesn't yield nearly 100% light luminas. Aside from the moon phases, it's also heavily ratio based, and for obvious reasons it skews towards darks right now (and probably will for the next ten years...). Even if it DID work as intended, that means lineages I could once work on throughout the month are now arbitrarily limited to half that.

@BlueLatios I'm a hugeeeee fan of pretty lineages, they take up the vast majority of my time here, but--as Sirithiel said, they ain't worth squat in trades. "Pretty" is a very objective thing to measure, so people only very rarely trade breeds with concrete worth for pretty lines, all other things being equal. Even trading among others who like pretty lineages can be tricky, as some people of course like different things, and it can be hard to find a match. That's why there's a really lovely active gifting community who share lineages with each other--but, again, that doesn't make the lineages practically worthwhile. Not to mention that if I have the choice between making two pretty lineages, and one has annoying mechanics to deal with and one doesn't, I'll always choose the latter. I once worked on a perfectly plain, no-weirdness-attached Spirit Ward x Ember lineage. It took me. A whole year. To breed the last ember I needed. ;___; Now imagine adding things like "you can only breed this when the moon is full" or "only 1 out of 3 eggs will be the right color" on top of that! I'd be trying to finish the lineage on my deathbed!