TJ09

2018-07-29 - July Dragon Release (Part 2)

35 minutes ago, Aalbiel said:

No, the CBs can't be based on biomes, as all eggs for now have hatched green, regardless of biome.

Interesting! I was hoping for it to turn out that way because of the egg's design - all the colours are on each egg (regardless of biome), which, to me, kind of implied that every biome has the potential to give us every colour.

23 minutes ago, Mangrit said:

"Here's some more eggs to make up for lost time."

Squints... what if it's affected by what age the egg is when it hatches... eg green is incubated, blue is normal hatch and purple is an egg that hatches late. 

I'm absolutely just throwing stuff at the wall right now. 

Edit: glanced in the discord to see the same idea bounced around, does that make it more right or more wrong lol

I wondered this too.  Deliberately left three spotty eggs un-incubated to test it.  Of course, that means they won't hatch until tomorrow.  😧

Just now, Amazon_warrior said:

I wondered this too.  Deliberately left three spotty eggs un-incubated to test it.  Of course, that means they won't hatch until tomorrow.  😧

And even then you won't know if THAT was it or it's just because they hatched a day later.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And even then you won't know if THAT was it or it's just because they hatched a day later.

Same difference, surely?  :)

ETA:  It'll be easier to test if/when abandoned eggs start showing up in the AP - if a "natural" 4d egg hatches not-green when put in ERs, but one that has been incubated to be 3d hatches green, we'll know it was the incubate that had the effect, not how old the egg was on hatching.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I'm not sure that will hold up.... They could hatch differently ONLY because of being incubated, and the day they hatch would have made no difference. I have some caught today; I HAVE incubated, so...

But one of my grandsons has a few and doesn't incubate, so I'll ask him to watch...

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'm with the idea that each hatchie colors depending on the day.  Since all the eggs that hatched so far are green, that might mean that Sunday is green. Monday could be blue and Tuesday purple or vice versa. Wednesday green, then Thursday and Friday.  And then on Saturday it's completely RANDOM!  😝

(all just speculation on my part!)

I caught & influenced/incubated another eight this morning from a different biome from the ones I caught on Sunday. Then I came here and I saw comments. So now don't really know what to do with them. Do I drop them & catch the Pygmies? Or hold onto them in the hope that I really like them and thus I would be collecting another eight anyway? Or hold onto them in the hope that it is still biome led, but they all hatch the same colour? Or . . . If it is a time related thing, then it will be pointless trying to trade them as everyone will be doing the same thing. Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.

I love mystery books, but I do really dislike this kind of 'mystery'.

17 minutes ago, jerzeeshadow said:

I'm with the idea that each hatchie colors depending on the day.  Since all the eggs that hatched so far are green, that might mean that Sunday is green. Monday could be blue and Tuesday purple or vice versa. Wednesday green, then Thursday and Friday.  And then on Saturday it's completely RANDOM!  😝

(all just speculation on my part!)

I think if it's based on days it's much more likely to have nothing to do with days of week, but just a rotation of Green (1st day) - Blue (2nd day) - Purple (3rd day) (or Green-Purple-Blue I guess ^^) over and over again. The good thing is it would be very easy to build a calendar, much like the LH calendar.

If these are based on the day tbh I give up. It's too much of a hassle to be like, ok today is the 24th day of the month lets look at the Spotty Calendar and see what I can catch, then have to go scouring the biomes for them - especially if they're rare/uncommon. I don't even bother with Firegems because I find them annoying; I got my adults, but I don't do lineages with them because frankly it's too much of an annoyance to have to check every time I want to catch or breed something.

I mean, time based is certainly better than something like a Dark Lumina, but that still doesn't make it worth it to mess around with imo.

I just hope that if they do rotate daily, it will be based on the time caught, not the time hatched. I don't want to have go catching/breeding thinking "okay, if i play this right it should hopefully hatch on the 22nd and alt blue". (And then get all my plans foiled by a stubborn ER)

Also that if they're indeed time based (I can't think of what else it could be at this point) some good folk will have a calendar/thread for it the same way there's already ones for Lunar Heralds and Luminae

3 hours ago, Niomedes said:

tbh, it would be nice for a bit of transparency on eggs with variants from the get go.

Thiiiiis.

ETA: I like green. I like variants. I just happen to like transparency more than a good old mystery mechanic.

Edited by Jazeki

2 hours ago, Niomedes said:

tbh, it would be nice for a bit of transparency on eggs with variants from the get go.

Hear. Hear.

Honestly, the lack of transparency DC has is unheard of ANYWHERE else...
Never expected a 2nd release, that's one, zero clue on how to get the other variants is another, not to mention all other things from the past that are still left with zero info (Lumina breeding system is STILL nothing but a theory:/)

I'm seriously tired of this.

Edited by VixenDra

I don't want to have to catch them on certain days just to get purple. I don't like green much and tbh, getting all the colours with codes is going to be a chore in itself now most likely.

I'm very interested in how the mystery of the color variation gets solved.

Honestly these little mysteries are a really fun thing on dc.

It can be really boring to know everything right from the start.

I have my first three at 3d23 now and I think they'll hatch green too.

Time will tell how to get the other variants. :D

tbh for a game where all you can do is collect sprites and breed them, i... expect to be able to catch whatever (non-holiday) sprites i want and breed them whenever I want.

I should not have to do research every time I want a certain dragon sprite or a certain pair to produce certain offspring. Random is fine - it is what it is. But making me jump through hoops/keep calendars and clocks just to try to get a bunch of pixels is silly. 

Ridgewings, Gemshards... I'm ok with random alt mechanics, or breed only alts. It's a chance. I can still breed them whenever I like to whatever I like and end up with the result I want eventually. I don't have to remember a million different nuanced things for them.

And now we will figure out if the color is determined by the hatch time in 8 hour intervals

3 minutes ago, Alrexwolf said:

tbh for a game where all you can do is collect sprites and breed them, i... expect to be able to catch whatever (non-holiday) sprites i want and breed them whenever I want.

But how boring would this really simple game be, if everything is known and follows the same, predictable rules? :)

Edited by Seriva Senkalora

Someone will have to make those little signature rotators like there are for LH and Fire Gems ^^

Difficult with various timing mechanics aside, what I'd really would be cute is if the order of the spots changed based on what would hatch.. So let's say, for simplicity's sake, that the timing goes 10 green then 10 blue then 10 days purple. I think it would be neat to have the color of whatever dragon is going to be hatching on top. So 10 days of "Green Blue Purple", then 10 days of Blue Purple Green" then 10 days of "Purple Green Blue". At least then we'd know right away what it's going to be. I know TJ's eggs didn't work like that but I'm hoping that was just more of an oddness of the release. I'd just like to know right away if I got the timing of the cycle wrong so that I can trade/abandon it without the 2 days hatching time.

99% of this game does follow the same, predictable rules. I've never heard someone complain that dang. You know, my favorite lineage is just too EASY to breed. I wish I had to check a calendar every time I had to breed my dragons! Dang, I WISH they could just have the wrong offspring and delay my breeding plans by another week. Such a shame. So boring to actually get what I want when I want it when I already have to wait a week to breed them and another week or more for the next generation to grow up. /s

15 minutes ago, Aalbiel said:

Someone will have to make those little signature rotators like there are for LH and Fire Gems ^^

Where do you get those?

Thank you, Aalbiel!

Edited by Vict

Noooooo, just saw a Spot hatch green in AoND >< This seems to ruin the 8h theory. I guess we're back to a day rotation theory.

(@Vict hang on I'm pretty sure I can find them for you:

Here's the Lunar Herald Rotator image (right now it's indigo but it automatically changes depending on what's dropping). You'll see some people (incl. on this page) have it in their sig. shoko.png

This is the Fire Gem rotator, same deal. firegem.png )

Edited by Aalbiel

3 minutes ago, Seriva Senkalora said:

But how boring would this really simple game be, if everything is known and follows the same, predictable rules? :)

Ok, honestly. This game is pretty boring even with unpredictable elements. I love DC. I'm happy whenever we get releases (even surprise ones). But at the end of the day, it exists for collecting sprites. Sure, you can breed and do other stuff, but all of the actions tie into collection. I'd rather it stay boring and easy. It's not fun for everyone to make calendars or monitor threads or whatever else.

I don't know. I think the surprise and mystery is part of the fun. I wish I could figure out how to get what I want right away, but we are mages in a world of dragons! And lore-wise, we are stealing a new breed of dragon from their mothers. We wouldn't know all the ins and outs of how they work right away. We have to research and study, record on our scrolls, work together. I wouldn't want TJ to just post a new release with a calendar like, "Here you guys go! This is how to get exactly what you want!" I mean we can figure this out. This community is super smart. I'm sure it won't be long till we put the pieces together and there will be multi-colored sprites for everyone. 

Don't let the mystery die. Surprise releases and puzzles are the only thing that gets my heart pumping anymore.