TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

6 hours ago, Carmelita Fox said:

My favorite release in ages. Can’t wait to breed these guys. Love the Melismor best, with their cute, frisky poses. Think I’ll try breeding one to my Tin.  

That will be an amazing pairing! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

6 hours ago, Velvet_paw said:

Wonderful Adults thank you. I find it amusing that the hufflepuff dragons are the only dimorphic dragons -all that extra work- oh yes hard work and persistence is a  house trait isn't it ? ^^

I love that theory!

2 hours ago, SamuelMaybird said:

Trio is Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres for Ice, Thunder and Magma respectively. That and the summon is also reference to the birds summoning Lugia.

What?! I never knew that! I love my Trios even more now. XD

I love all the adults. I'm still too stunned that they're Hogwarts-inspired to even think of breeding plans yet, but WELL DONE, SPRITERS!

Edited by MoonShark

What a frickin jaw-dropping release! They’re stunning! Love the Leodon - but not just because I’m a Leo and a Gryffindor...okay maybe I’m biased..

Edited by coo_

40 minutes ago, Shajana said:

Some extra Info and some Sketches from the Lacula Dragon:

The Name Lacula was @PieMaster's idea, it was derived from Jaculus which means Snake in Latin.

Not any snake; it derives from the verb 'iacere', to throw, so it's a snake that "throws itself" at its prey. Maybe this helps:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaculus

(and yes, I'm a Ravenclaw)

Leodon is my all time favorite...Im literally in love with it.

Leodon.png

1 hour ago, Herk said:

Is the Baikala colour determined by biome? I think I remember sth along those lines. And colour variants that are determined by biome aren't in the market as per word of god TJ

1 hour ago, Whirlaway said:

Yes. One color is in Coast (blue) and one in Jungle (green), which would explain why they are not yet in the Market.

That cleared it up! Thanks for telling me!

Edit: Also, It's still fairly easy to catch the new eggs. They are still dropping occasionally.

I wonder how quickly that will change with these beautiful adults.

Edited by Shokomon

1 hour ago, Ashywolf said:

@angelicdragonpuppy

@whitestar

Do you really think the new sprites feel that different to the extent that it ruins lineages? I only see anatomy tweaks -- the pose, colour, and composition is much the same. Here is an image that TCA linked.

image.png.77d58663bba3c49ee436155be7f81be1.png

Perhaps "ruined" is a bit strong, but... yes, the changes are subtle, but they are noticeable. Proper shading makes different colors pop, proper anatomy makes some dragons have less "bulk" in the frame, things like the greater opening of the female spring's wings and the addition of colored crests to the winters... when you have lineages you've been working on for years, even tiny changes can be a real eyesore. My biggest gripe is that the fall seasonals (my favorites!) no longer have that fluid, leaping, leaves-in-motion feel they had before, especially the male, and they lost that lovely thickness in the tail fringe that made it look like they were one big leaf. Also, but more minor, the tail curl and less wavy wing membrane of the male spring.

Again, a pretty tame update, and the sprites ARE lovely (I love the new female summer and male winter especially--I hardly even touched those sprites before!), but at the same time it's hard to keep seeing more of the sprites we love replaced every year.

@SamuelMaybird What I mean is, I don't think the varied spriters of the trios said "hey, I'm going to make an articuno/zapdos/moltres dragon!" I believe the pokemon connection came later when people said "oh hey, elemental trio, now let's add a Lugia with them!" But I don't think the ORIGINAL trios were based on the birds at all. :) (Also pretty funny how a Pokemon became the god of DC, of sorts! XD )

With the Seasonal update, I like the summer Seasonal updates, the male winter Seasonal update, the autumn male, but I do not like the female autumn anymore. The springs are okay, not my favorite though.

Just glad these guys still look good together: https://dragcave.net/lineage/fPMb7

Edited by Whirlaway

5 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

The fact that some people don't realise that certain dragons are references to different things just goes to show that these dragons all hold their own and have a strong identity on DC that is independent of whatever they might be referencing. I think that's certainly the case with the four that were released for this year's birthday. :) There's not a single dragon in the cave that I look at and think, "Oh, that's the [reference] dragon." The references are all secondary to their own, unique identities, in my opinion. I think the same will be true for these ones, once the initial excitement wears off and we get used to their actual names and personalities, rather than their subtle references to the Hogwarts houses. 

Either way, I love them all and think they're a fantastic addition to the cave. :D Thank you TJ and all the spriters involved! It has been a great 12th birthday celebration. 

I really wanted to quote this because this is exactly how I feel. While I can understand the concern about 'another' reference dragon, they aren't *just* reference dragons. No dragon on DC is *just* a reference dragon. They all have their own quirks and unique traits and such. As someone who has seen one (two?) HP movie and has way too many friends really into it, but not really a 'fan' myself, I definitely don't see these as 'HP House dragons'. I can see why the colors, especially all four released together like this, may seem like a fairly obvious reference, but beyond that it seems like they all very much have their own personalities. (And if you want to nitpick here, technically *all* the original DC dragons were 'reference' dragons since the sprites were literally just recolors of sprites from different games and such, and when those were replaced with unique sprites they still held a bit of that referencing.)

Wow!  These adult sprites are all fantastic!

Special cheers to my friend, Shajana - wooooo!!!  Congrats!  Your dragon is awesome!

I love the description for the Lacula dragon. Overall, I love the new releases! Initially, I felt the black/yellows were a little lack luster compared to the other new releases, but they're starting to grow on me. Especially the male sprite. 

3 hours ago, Herk said:

DC turns 12. In August I will have been here for ten years, and I don't think I'll stop enjoying this site any time soon. Still after all these years so many updates, new sprites, and game play changes and almost all of them for the better. 🎇

THANK YOU TJ, SPRITERS, AND MODS. Without you this place couldn't exist - here's to the next dozen years 🍸

Hear! Hear!

Ten years in October for me and I couldn't agree with you more.

4 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Hear! Hear!

I am  about a week 'older' than you and still going strong.  I don't see it changing any time soon. (sorry Mr Dylan)

Gotta say, I was worried about how the Malismor dragons would turn out as I thought the hatchlings weren’t cute. Glad to see the adults came out so cute and elegant, I love them!! And the names:  Leodon, Lacula, Malismor, and Razorcrest. They are all so cool!

6 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

Yea, I kinda worry now that two sets have been added, I really don't want DC to turn into Fan-art dragon central since I prefer the concepts to be interesting on their own, once in a while it's okay but just once in a while.

They're like cheesecake, they're a sometimes-concept.

The GoN and the trio where lugia and the three elemental birds from Pokemon and the zyus are the power rangers.

It's likely that Scripts were based on the witches from Umineko When They Cry, given their descriptions and the specific color of their hide-writing.

That's still just... 15ish? sprites out of over 200? Hardly taking over.

Late to posting this but, happy birthday DC! I really like the new public trading area (great for when I don't really feel like posting my trade on the forums, especially after EATW went down), and I absolutely love the market! Now I can actually someday get a CB Gold of my own! 😄

I like the new sprite updates, although they will take me some getting used to, especially the Reds. And these new Dragons are amazing! I think either the Leodons or the Lacula are my favorite, but I might be biased because I've always liked powerful-looking Dragons (plus I like the idea of a flightless Amphithere; very cool). Even so, the Melismors are very cute and I love the color scheme a lot (wonder how well they'd look with Turpentines, come to think of it), and I really like the design of the Razorcrests; the tattered-looking wings with the really spiky-looking tail frill looks very cool. All around a great release, and I'm always happy to see some of the more uncommon body types being used.

So thanks so much TJ for the great new features and the release, and to the spriters for the amazing new Dragons!

Wow, the adults look gorgeous! I'm not too keen on the HP reference (I don't like RL references in general), but the dragons are lovely and something really special.

Thank you so much, spriters, great job!

I forgot to say this in my last post, but happy birthday DC! 6 years since I joined, and enjoying it now more than ever.

I'm really surprised, I started off with my favorites being Lacula and Razorcrest, but now I can say for sure I adore Leodon and Melismor the most. Honestly I completely forget they're HP reference dragons, like people have said they're so unique and beautiful in their own ways they're just their own new cool breed of Dragon to me. I might have two favorites, but I still think they're all amazing.

Auuugh. The male Melismor dragons are really, really throwing me off - they look. Really uncomfortable.

I also have a hard time reading the Lacula's wings, and its tail is so skinny, but I guess that's just me... 

I am so impressed with the Razorcrest Wyverns and the female Melismor, though. I need a million. Congrats to Piemaster and NiramiTheRaven196 on these beautiues! The Leodon is also gorgeous but I'm not a fan of the breed's personality - I've never been much of a Gryffindor ^^;

Overall a fantastic release and I can't wait to collect a million of them. 

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

Hear! Hear!

Same for me - 10 years this October!

1 minute ago, Alrexwolf said:

Auuugh. The male Melismor dragons are really, really throwing me off - they look. Really uncomfortable.

How so? 

1 minute ago, Malcorium said:

How so? 

Please note that just because I find the pose uncomfortable by no means has anything to do with the quality of the sprite or the breed nor that I think they shouldn't be in cave or part of this release - I really love the breed in general and the sprite is well done. Crit on new releases seems to be met super harshly, so there's your disclaimer. I'm a Hufflepuff. I love Badgers. They are my children. Now that that's out of the way. 

However, the male's pose makes it look like it's jumping. But it's back half is in the wrong? Place? for that? Ferrets, when they jump, hunch their spines in the middle - the Melismor male's spine does like a... let me just demonstrate with a squiggle.

qAxvBPA.png

The black line is how I could expect a leaping animal's spine to work; the red is how I perceive the male's spine to run. It looks almost... too bendy? If that makes sense? I can't even actually find a ferret jumping in a position even similar to how he looks.

know it's probably just a space issue. I know it's not a problem. I believe the sprite looks good. It's just that anatomy wise, its back half looks like it has motion while its front half looks as if it's standing stationary. It literally looks like it's rump is about to collide with its head and its spine is going to do a huge Ω upsidedown omega and its head and bum will meet.

What an absolutely fantastic birthday this has been. I love the new release dragons, all of them! I loved the seasonal update right off, but the red update threw me a bit. After taking a few days to get over the shock, I really like it. And the new features will be fun to play with. Overall, just a really awesome update and release. So Happy Birthday Dragon Cave!

9 hours ago, Shokomon said:

MOD BATTLE!

Round 1

FIGHT!

833416828_ModFight.png.81f66cddecafa4290d2bda29570ebaa3.png

@StormWizard212 @purpledragonclaw @hazeh

XD

XD

*sneaks off with the Leodons while the other mods fight*

I feel so content with this update. So many things that I'd wanted all in one package.. =u=