TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

50 minutes ago, lovecats99 said:

Also, DANGER NOODLES! i got bored, okay

2Wu21sp.png

This is truly a work of art. I'm dying laughing here. 👌👌💯

Wow, the Leodons are stunning, and I love the Slytherin Dragon, too! The Melismors would be nice if their shape and colouration didn't remind me of leeches... :unsure: I'll try to unsee that somehow.

Love the 

59 minutes ago, lovecats99 said:

The Leos are really big. XD I mean, look him in comparison to a mint!

HmVDKxQ.png  TGzfG8R.gif

Also, DANGER NOODLES! i got bored, okay

2Wu21sp.png

Danger noodles! Lol. Actually those burrowing dragons remind me of chipmunks... 

Hmm, for some reason I don't like the Razorcrests. The Melismor (ferrets) is okay and Leodon and Lacula are... fine, but I just can't seem to like the Razorcrests.

16 minutes ago, Whirlaway said:

The Melismor (ferrets)

Excuse you, they're Elongated Badgers ;p

Edited by Malcorium
emojis pls no

Nice dragons! Leos are hands down my favorites, such big gorgeous fiery hunks (but I'm a leo, maybe I'm biased :P), but they all have nice stuff. Love the descriptions on the Greens and Browns (cool hunting method and adorable family dynamics, respectively) and the sweet frillage on the Blues.

I was kind of skeptical about releasing (another) pop culture themed group, especially on DC's birthday, but these guys really do go quite far from their inspiration, which is nice! Honestly seeing how different they all came out and how they all had different spriters I almost wonder if they were really done as individual releases and just put together as a theme, but the coincidence is a littleee too strong to believe that. :P

(And nobody get me wrong, I LOVE Harry Potter, it's just for a game like this I prefer seeing more original stuff than reference-y stuff. Although again, these guys did a good job of being their own thing. Was just worried they wouldn't! :P)

These four look great ! Congratulations and many thanks, dear spriters !!

My favourites are the Leodon and the Melismor, but the Razorcrest is just a tad behind, and beautiful in its own way, and I even like the Lacula ! (Their main wings make all the difference for me, somehow. The "bare" snake wouldn't have drawn my attention, but with those wings the dragon as a whole looks great. I'll need time to get used to the little tail wings, though, they stand apart a little too much...)

My most favourite thing about this release are the personalities of the dragons involved ! I'm not that much of a HP fan, but I've read all the books, and I appreciate the really artfully executed references. But I always loved personalities rather than just animal behaviours for dragon breeds, and that's why I'm really happy with what we got !

Could someone help me with the Leodon's face ? For some reason I can't make out where the eyes are... (And even without having discovered that I still love the sprite !!)

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

1 minute ago, Lantean_Pegasus said:

Could someone help me with the Leodon's face ? For some reason I can't make out where the eyes are... (And even without having discovered that I still love the sprite !!)

http://prntscr.com/jm55ng

5 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I was kind of skeptical about releasing (another) pop culture themed group

(And nobody get me wrong, I LOVE Harry Potter, it's just for a game like this I prefer seeing more original stuff than reference-y stuff. Although again, these guys did a good job of being their own thing. Was just worried they wouldn't! :P)

Another? :0 What was the first??

Overall I really agree though. The idea was cute, but if something is to be referenced I’d kinda prefer it to be a little bit more subtle ^^;

During the egg and hatchie phases I really thought the Lacula would be my favourite (I am a Slytherin, after all), but now I think the Razorcrests are my favourite!

13 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Nice dragons! Leos are hands down my favorites, such big gorgeous fiery hunks (but I'm a leo, maybe I'm biased :P), but they all have nice stuff. Love the descriptions on the Greens and Browns (cool hunting method and adorable family dynamics, respectively) and the sweet frillage on the Blues.

I was kind of skeptical about releasing (another) pop culture themed group, especially on DC's birthday, but these guys really do go quite far from their inspiration, which is nice! Honestly seeing how different they all came out and how they all had different spriters I almost wonder if they were really done as individual releases and just put together as a theme, but the coincidence is a littleee too strong to believe that. :P

Yea, I kinda worry now that two sets have been added, I really don't want DC to turn into Fan-art dragon central since I prefer the concepts to be interesting on their own, once in a while it's okay but just once in a while.

They're like cheesecake, they're a sometimes-concept.

4 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Overall I really agree though. The idea was cute, but if something is to be referenced I’d kinda prefer it to be a little bit more subtle ^^;

During the egg and hatchie phases I really thought the Lacula would be my favourite (I am a Slytherin, after all), but now I think the Razorcrests are my favourite!

The GoN and the trio where lugia and the three elemental birds from Pokemon and the zyus are the power rangers.

Edited by blockEdragon

2 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Last year's Zyus are a Power Rangers reference.

1 minute ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

For last year's birthday, the Zyumorphs (Power Rangers reference) were released. But personally, as someone who doesn't know anything at all about Power Rangers, they didn't seem super referential. Likewise, I think people who don't know a lot about Harry Potter won't look at these an go "these obviously reference something". There are just little hints for those of us who are fans and I like that. All of these dragons certainly hold their own in the cave, in my opinion. ^_^

The adults looks stunning! The Leodon dragons are badass and the Melismor dragons are so cute ^^

Love that they represent Hogwarts houses :) 

There have been multiple pop culture references for a long time in DragCave, some of them recognizable and some others a bit more obscure. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing, considering there aren't very many of them, and the ones that do show up are artfully designed to have their own unique flavor that stands outside of whatever reference they make. Case in point, these dragons. Had they not been released as a set, I don't think the reference would have been as easily picked up on. 

28 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

The GoN and the trio where lugia and the three elemental birds from Pokemon and the zyus are the power rangers.

Wait, are the GoN and trio actually a Pokemon reference? 0_o I never made that connection.

Edit: v Wow, cool trivia! I never noticed since elemental groups and summonings both pretty common things, but come to think of it, fire/ice/lightning is a pretty unique triad.

Edited by cbussiere

5 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

Wait, are the GoN and trio actually a Pokemon reference? 0_o I never made that connection.

A distant one, but yes. Before the breed sort was tidied up to use the actual breed names, GoNs sorted as "Lugia." That's about as far as it goes though--I don't think the trios were based on Pokemon themselves. The GoN just played off their theme. :P 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

The fact that some people don't realise that certain dragons are references to different things just goes to show that these dragons all hold their own and have a strong identity on DC that is independent of whatever they might be referencing. I think that's certainly the case with the four that were released for this year's birthday. :) There's not a single dragon in the cave that I look at and think, "Oh, that's the [reference] dragon." The references are all secondary to their own, unique identities, in my opinion. I think the same will be true for these ones, once the initial excitement wears off and we get used to their actual names and personalities, rather than their subtle references to the Hogwarts houses. 

Either way, I love them all and think they're a fantastic addition to the cave. :D Thank you TJ and all the spriters involved! It has been a great 12th birthday celebration. 

Based on the hatchlings I thought I wasn't going to like the Leodons all that much, but they might actually be my favorite of the bunch. I'm torn between them and the Laculas.

Description wise, I think the Melismores are my favorite. I might be biased though, since I'm a Hufflepuff. I definitely didn't get sorted just because of this release.
They're also the cutest. Fuzzy badger noodles.

I like the Razorcrests the least, but by no means dislike them.

I'm not the biggest Harry Potter fan, but this has been my favorite fandom themed release so far. I like all four dragons both as references and as their own things.

36 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

{snip}

If you want to get technical, the dinos and chickens are probably the oldest references. (Yoshi and Harvest Moon, respectively, I think.)

Oh wow, the adults are BEAUTIFUL! Thank you, spriters!

My favourites are the Melismor Dragons. :wub:

Oh wow! They are SO beautiful! My favourites are Lacula and Leodon, I think

I LOVE THESE.

I'm gonna need a smol army of the yellow ones because I have so many hufflepuff names saved.

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

A distant one, but yes. Before the breed sort was tidied up to use the actual breed names, GoNs sorted as "Lugia." That's about as far as it goes though--I don't think the trios were based on Pokemon themselves. The GoN just played off their theme. :P 

Trio is Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres for Ice, Thunder and Magma respectively. That and the summon is also reference to the birds summoning Lugia.