TJ09

2015-12-25 - Happy Holidays!

. . .

(I sat here for a bit thinking of what to type, but honestly, I'm speechless.)

This has got to be my favorite Christmas dragon, next to the Solstice, and next year I'm definitely grabbing more of these guys. Stunning and gorgeous, and so much fluff! <3

(Can I just have a hundred of them now for my scroll, please? xd.png)

Kudos to everyone involved in helping bring us this wonderful event and dragon for this year!

OH MY GOSH, they are BEAUTIFUL!!! Aegis dragons!!!!!

They are Holiday Drakes (traditonal)!!!! so pretty! I want more already!1!

I like how fluffy these are.

(Named mine Sir Fluffbutt and Fluff In All The Right Places)

Oh my goodness those are great names haha. I got Fluffy Timbers over here because of his code :3

While I personally insist on calling them the One True Name of "Fluffbutt," the spriters prefer the slightly-more-elegant sound of "Aegis Dragon" c:

laugh.gif

now you have me wanting to change both of my boy's names from Father Grumpus & Father Krumpus to something with Fluffybutt in it wub.gif

totally one of the many nicknames i have for my kitten wub.gif(one of the nicknames he tends to not like and snub his nose at lol)

edit - these are very nice. the S1 and S2 hatchies remind me a lot of the Avi's of Change wub.gif especially with their strong square chins

edit 2 - people keep calling these guys Drakes .... does that mean they'll only breed true with Drakes unsure.gif

Edited by Red2111

*chants* fluffbutt-fluffbutt-fluffbutt

(did anyone get the TFIOS reference)

Anyways, Odeen, Birdz, thank y'all so much <3

*winks* any tidbits of information for us?

edit 2 - people keep calling these guys Drakes .... does that mean they'll only breed true with Drakes unsure.gif

No, I don't think so. I think this is just drake in the sense of a wingless dragon.

Doesn't look like they have a name...

IT'S FREAKING MAJESTIC ANYWAYS

No, "drake" is a general term for a wingless Western-style dragon. The "DC drakes" are a species of their own. But it is super-confusing. o_0

I can't tell if I think he's jumping, grabbing for something, or slow-mo falling down

I suppose that he is either stepping on his own tail, which would be rather painful, or... he is flying. Maybe I'm wrong, but this pose seems to suggest that the dragon is floating in the air. Maybe Aegis Dragons are like Silver Dragons and are able to fly without wings...?

I named mine "Dagda Ruad Ro'Fhessa" ("Dagda the Lord of Vast Knowledge") and "Oghma Grian Aineach" ("Oghma of the Sunny Countenance") after two strong, but also benevolent Celtic gods. My two Mistletoes have druid-themed names. They'll look nicely with each other in the lineage I plan to make next year happy.gif

They are called Aegis dragons, according to the spriters.

Red, no, they'll breed with regular dragons. People refer to them as "drakes" because drake is a common name for wingless westerns like the magmas. These aren't DC drakes like Ochres.

None of the winter holiday dragons have "official" names. But somewhere I saw the spriters' name for these is Aegis.

ah *sigh of relief* thanks Fiona, Amazon and purplehaze xd.png

i was a bit concerned but also a bit excited. having a drake or two head holiday or prize dragon would be a bit nice and a change up from the normal flow of things xd.png

people would complain (which happens no matter what tongue.gifxd.png ), but drakes and two heads are just so neglected around this time of year happy.gif

ADULLLT!!

The name of the dragon is the Aegis Dragon!

We're super busy right now so we can't get to posting any more information on them until tomorrow, but that's their official name! biggrin.gif

Aegis dragons. HUM

Quoting since I went searching for this. =p

No, "drake" is a general term for a wingless Western-style dragon.  The "DC drakes" are a species of their own.  But it is super-confusing.  o_0

We've discussed this elsewhere, but drake really doesn't have a general meaning - it has several. Yes, DC's drakes are specific, but it's not like drake isn't confusing anyway.

~

Furry, arctic-y dragums. I like 'em. ^^

Not what I expected from the hatchies, lol.

Congrats, birdz and Odeen!

Thank you to the staff and artists. This is in my opinion the most interesting dragon I've seen thus far.

Red, no, they'll breed with regular dragons. People refer to them as "drakes" because drake is a common name for wingless westerns like the magmas. These aren't DC drakes like Ochres.

I think that the most fitting name for this group of dragon-like creatures exists in DnD system, where they are called "Landwyrms".

re - Drake discussion.

i've always separated Dragon classification on this site for True Dragons, Wyvrens, Drakes, ect from D&D (which is what i consider to be the leading source material on dragons tbh)

so when i see the term Drake applied on site to dragons here, i think of Glories or Glacious Dragons and restricted breeding combo's; not wingless babies xd.png hence my confusion laugh.gif

in D&D, the classification breaks down by intelligence, rather than physical

attributes (like Wings) though each subset of the above 3 has a size cap (ie: only True Dragons can go above Gargantuan)

True Dragon (ultra intelligent)

Wyvren (intelligent but more feral)

Drakes (about as smart as a smart dog)

this of course is leaving out dragon like creatures (ie: Kobolds, Dragonbord, ect), pseudo dragons and Faery Dragons wub.gif

ninja edit - @ Aurigena great minds xd.png

Edited by Red2111

I shall ride one of these into battle! Wow these are so majestic and proud looking, I love it. Thank you Odeen and Birdz! I'm still gonna call them snow lions.

The new Christmas dragon is glorious.

I love the color scheme, the fur, the horns, the changes in the thickness of his gold stripes, his lovely elfin ears, those brilliant shoulder diamonds... He looks physically powerful, with muscular legs and neck and opposable thumbs are a must for a properly sentient species.

Wow.

I just found my favorite sprite. Impressive! Can't wait for next year to add a bunch of them to my scroll.