TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

Am I going to get rid of my original FF7 game? No.

I still have all my pokemon games. Every single one.

Ah, but what if you were told you had to give up the old in order to get the new?

That you had no other options?

I want my original silvers back. The ones from before the fog. tongue.gif The female with the cream underbelly was my favorite sprite back in the day.

Ah, but what if you were told you had to give up the old in order to get the new?

That you had no other options?

I'm not zaverxi, but my personal answer to that: Red/Blue/Gold/Silver/Crystal have that battery issue, and while the battery issue of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald isn't nearly so dire it's still not really a loss to give them up. Diamond/Pearl/Platinum have aged better, but they still have those long save times that presumably would not crop back up into the modern remakes. I would not mind giving those up to get the remakes, not in the slightest.

Edit: Oh, and Black/White/Black2/White2 had moving sprites which were nice, but still not quite as nice looking as our current 3D models. So presuming that the gameplay is still to my liking by the time we get to those remakes I'll be happy to replace those with the remade versions too.

Edited by Tehya Faye

I did a little happy dance about the new dimorphism sprites. =P

Also, I like the no release this month thing, actually... the last one was a bit of a doozy.

(Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome doozy! laugh.gif )

I'm kinda hoping we get a regular release in November, but I won't be upset if we don't. It'd just be nice. happy.gif

Okay, question, since this seems to have been floated a couple of times. If it was possible - unsupported and unsanctioned by TJ, perhaps buggy, but possible - to go back to the old adult sprites on a case-by-case basis - would you do it?

Looking forward to the dimorphism. I really like those. I don't have a silver to worry about changing, sadly. Haven't even seen one in the caves.

I like the idea someone brought up earlier as thinking of the updates as us getting better at our sketches and getting more accurate to the dragon's actual appearance, but I also understand nostalgia. Keeping with the FF/Poke ideas, I hated some of the major mechanics changes that definitely date me as a player. I despise cut scenes and I would love to just be able to trade over a Link Cable again instead of having to find people online. Some things people think are awesome are darn clunky and unbearable, whether it's the new or the old.

Personally, I'm hoping for an Albino change. They bug me. I don't know how new the White Dragon's update is, but it's one I would probably be the most nostalgic for of my older breeds.

Okay, question, since this seems to have been floated a couple of times. If it was possible - unsupported and unsanctioned by TJ, perhaps buggy, but possible - to go back to the old adult sprites on a case-by-case basis - would you do it?

I think the only time I would do that is if I picked up a checker in the AP that used the old sprites. I wouldn't turn any CBs back into the old art because I'd rather build projects that complement the new art rather than the old.

No not really.

I actually liked the old gold sprite for example but meh, the new one is good too!

While I'm a little wary of the mobile update - to me, personally, it's okay, - but I am really looking forward to the sprite updates, especially the Horse dimorphism.

I'd have the old gold sprites back in a heartbeat.

For Golds - no. I was never much of a fan of the old Gold sprite and I like the new version.

For Sunrise/Sunsets - Maybe? I'm not much of a fan of the m Sunrise/f Sunset sprites. I have them on my scroll as part of my collection, of course, but I try to avoid having them in lineages, which is a shame because their opposite genders are some of my favourite sprites. Also maybe Tangars; I wish they were still one sprite for both genders because I love the femme sprite but less the male sprite (although I admit the male sprite often looks better in lineage view).

I am a little anxious about the new sprites, but I view it as something that I will have to deal with when it happens. This is going to look different; I have my fingers crossed that it'll look better! rolleyes.gif I am slightly more bothered about the change to this, since I designed that lineage to have non-dimorphic sprites on the outside - it's part of a larger lineage that I haven't finished yet. Will I redo the Violet blocks (oh yes, I have two, 'cos mirrors) with a different non-dimorphic purple dragon (Nhios, step forward plz!) or leave it (assuming the colour of the male Horse sprite doesn't also change!) and accept that, sooner or later, the other blocks may have dimorphic outer breeds too? Hrmmm. But this is something I'm just waiting to see, and has no bearing on the sprite art itself - I'm quite curious and excited to see the changes for themselves. For the most part, I don't view my dragons as "people" or "pets" but as colour blocks to build up larger designs! xd.png

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Does anybody have a huge zoo of Lumina hatchlings to click through on? Raise 5 hatchlings will eventually get done, of course, but if there were an easy collection of 22 to click on, I would go do that now to get it "finished"…

Well, I'm very happy with the Encyclopedia update. Thanks TJ and all involved! I wish the missing breeds had been added, but I guess it will happen eventually.

Oh and I found two typos on the Water Walker page: bouyant should be buoyant and camoflage should be camouflage. Has this been mentionned before?

About the sprites, I'm really looking forward to dimorphism for the Horses and Nilia pygmies. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Silver update. While it might be nice to have a shiny new sprite, I really hope it won't wreck lineages. We'll see.

Edit: mpolo, you might want to try the Encyclopedia Helpers thread. smile.gif

Edited by Aleoleo

To get my old Golds back?? Could I?? Ohhh, yes.

So, I'm getting this on the Val '09 encyclopedia page:

http://i57.tinypic.com/919enc.png ~Linked for size~

huh.gif

I have reported the Val '09 issue and will go report the neglected issue.

Ah, thanks! I got quite confused about this, especially since there isn't any mentioning of Val '09s in these news otherwise!

Nope, i am not sure I would. Specially not if it was buggy.

I never owned any of the old golds, ( that I can recall), so I never REALLY got that attached to them. They look sort of stiff and 'statuey' to me( NO offense meant to those that like them). The new golds look more like living creatures, to my eyes and I like them better.( Specially the females which are SUPER pretty).

I wouldn't object to HAVING the option for those that WANTED it, but I doubt very much I would use it.

Edited by Silverswift

Why do vine dragons not have any adult info? D:

Because they are VICIOUS and BITE anyone who asks them about themselves xd.png

I think the only time I would do that is if I picked up a checker in the AP that used the old sprites. I wouldn't turn any CBs back into the old art because I'd rather build projects that complement the new art rather than the old.

This exactly. That is what I have been SAYING in effect. Changing a sprite retroactively changes the look of a carefully designed lineage.

I just thought of a real CLASSIC example.

I hope its owner won't mind but...

https://dragcave.net/lineage/Zi8Sm

If those sprites were altered, it might not have a fraction of the humour in there. As it is - it always makes me giggle helplessly (I am easily amused.)

And I would like the old golds back, too. Colour me weird. Alongside the new - like pinks - is fine, but even so. I love the new sprites - especially the female - but I loved the old ones too.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Oh, the mobile layout looks sooo sweet, it makes me want to use my Nook and do some cave hunting while out. biggrin.gif

I do not generally use my nook online very often. smile.gif

There is something to be said for retaining history alongside new things. Westminster Abbey is not exactly functionally ideal - but - well, wanna rebuild ?

This is how I feel about the Silver update. Why destroy the history of DC dragon sprites?

I love that old-school pixel art. I like the new style, too, but the old style has a clean, simple and charming look that is all its own. And the Silvers are a perfect embodiment of that style. I feel like the people who want to get rid of the old sprites don't appreciate the history. It reminds me of how people hate on the styles of the last decade or two... until it's time for it to be retro and cool again. But if we don't preserve the Silvers it will be too late for them.

Case by case as in each individual lineage, then yes. If it were by scroll then no. One of the things that bugged me about the change to the golds was the huge (to me) difference in color, going from a more brassy or bronze color to something much more yellow. I don't feel like they were interchangeable at all for most lineages. Which is one of the reasons I worry for the silvers. If the soft gray glow is changed to a hard metallic shine it will definitely affect the feel of some lineages.

This is how I feel about the Silver update. Why destroy the history of DC dragon sprites?

I love that old-school pixel art. I like the new style, too, but the old style has a clean, simple and charming look that is all its own. And the Silvers are a perfect embodiment of that style. I feel like the people who want to get rid of the old sprites don't appreciate the history. It reminds me of how people hate on the styles of the last decade or two... until it's time for it to be retro and cool again. But if we don't preserve the Silvers it will be too late for them.

This too - we can't get it back when it's gone. See under Big Yellow Taxi biggrin.gif

I hope the silvers don't look too different. I like their sprites the way they are. :/