TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

I'm curious if TJ could post the sprite changes on the front page so people could actually see them before hand. I realize a lot of people are on a fence with this kind of thing until they can actually see the new sprite replacing the one they have known. Honestly change isn't always bad but neither is holding onto something you like, both opinions make a lot of sense.

Spriters have tried doing this, in a sense, in the past and it did not go well.

If I remember right, the Seasonals spriter(s) made a thread to update the sprites, but the users were being really difficult, so progress was stopped.

And there's the issue where people who are displeased generally speak louder (or post more frequently) than those who are pleased. It would be really difficult to gauge whether or not the majority of the users like the updates. And then, just because the forum users like it, doesn't mean the non-forum users would like it too.

Just doing the sprite update without showing the sprites seems to be the less-painful way to go about it for TJ and the spriters.

Having seen the old threads with the options for the updates in them, I think they'll probably be fine. As far as silvers, luckily I have the lunars to fall back on now and never really had enough silvers to build from.

I have to admit I'm sort of hoping for the new silvers to be the ones I made, where I aimed specifically to find the middle ground between fixing them and having them look the same in lineages xd.png Probably not going to happen though, I'm guessing I would have had to sign something by now for that to happen. In any case I can't wait to see how they'll look, I'm generally completely in favour of sprite updates smile.gif

I'm curious if TJ could post the sprite changes on the front page so people could actually see them before hand. I realize a lot of people are on a fence with this kind of thing until they can actually see the new sprite replacing the one they have known. Honestly change isn't always bad but neither is holding onto something you like, both opinions make a lot of sense.

What would be the benefit of saying "behold your inevitable fate" in this way? People who dislike the thing will campaign loudly and desperately to stop it, and then when it goes through anyway they would complain just as much - if not more, for the sheer fact that they were given the illusion of some semblance of control over the outcome.

What would be the benefit of saying "behold your inevitable fate" in this way? People who dislike the thing will campaign loudly and desperately to stop it, and then when it goes through anyway they would complain just as much - if not more, for the sheer fact that they were given the illusion of some semblance of control over the outcome.

Pretty much this.

I'm quite impatient to see the new sprites now, though, xd.png

Srsly, I feel unwanted here. I am not happy about update and suddenly my opinion is dramatic, knee-jerk and defensive. If I was over the moon about those changes my opinions and posts would be welcome, but when I am unsure about changes, I am a bad apple here.

It's a forum, right? An open public space, right?

Sadly TJ can't please anyone.

So if you are unhappy about the update, I'm sorry that you feel that way.

But give the new sprites a chance, maybe you'll like them? I mean we haven't even seen them yet, and they'll probably grow on you ^.^

Just wait, anticipate and of course you can feel unsure, you can also feel dissapointed, if a beloved sprite does not look like it did before.

But also sometimes changes are necessary, and welcomed from the majority of the community.

(I doubt the spriters would 'ruin' the sprites, they do their best to make them look fitting the cave and the sprites we have in here right now.

And I sincerely hope you'll come to like the sprites. Just give them a chance, and at least wait until you see them before you say 'nay' to them ^.^)

What I posted earlier was mostly in response to people's worry over the hollies, when TJ specifically said "2007 Christmas Dragons (Small shading and anatomy tweaks)" - which to me means they'll essentially look the same except with 100% less broken necks.

People will worry over change to sprites they love. That's ok. I don't really see people freaking out too badly.

We don't know how extensive the changes to the silvers will be. I'm personally in favor of whatever, though I sympathize with people who want to maintain the pose and colors. I'm not opposed to a complete change but given events of the past I kind of doubt if it will be totally different. And enough time has gone by from the silver update thread's closing for the sprites to look nothing like what was worked on in that thread, so I don't think we have anything to really go by. Except to trust that TJ knows what he's doing.

Considering the uproar (and how many people still complain) over the Gold update, which IMO was desperately needed (I refused to have more than a token 2 on my scroll before the update)... I can say that regardless of how fantastic (or not) the new sprites are.... There will be mobs with pitchforks. I hope TJ and the spriter are wearing their pitchfork-proof vests! tongue.gif

And yes, this not even giving the sprites a CHANCE is extremely typical of the DC userbase. *gets popcorn bowl*. This should be interesting!

Though personally, I think it'll be interesting to see how it works out. Will the advanced notice give people a chance to work out Change: NOOOO!!!!!! anger *before* the new Silvers turn up, thereby lessening the hate directed at the new sprite (and spriter), or will it just give that crew a chance to build up an even bigger head of steam? *ponders* We shall see!

*is highly amused

Cheers!

C4.

*grabs Mountain Dew*

Should be amusing. biggrin.gif Encyclopedia Dramatica's version of DC's drama issues is always fun to read too. xd.png

I have to admit I'm sort of hoping for the new silvers to be the ones I made, where I aimed specifically to find the middle ground between fixing them and having them look the same in lineages xd.png Probably not going to happen though, I'm guessing I would have had to sign something by now for that to happen. In any case I can't wait to see how they'll look, I'm generally completely in favour of sprite updates smile.gif

Yours were - more OKer than some, but still - they - weren't silvers... sad.gif VERY pretty, but - not....

Still an' all - they were better than most biggrin.gif Some were downright clunky and others were just tarted up to make them SHINEEE. I like the old silver look of the current ones, see. I won't say which I liked BEST, though. NO point starting all that again !

*sigh*

Sadly TJ can't please anyone.

So if you are unhappy about the update, I'm sorry that you feel that way.

But give the new sprites a chance, maybe you'll like them? I mean we haven't even seen them yet, and they'll probably grow on you ^.^

Just wait, anticipate and of course you can feel unsure, you can also feel dissapointed, if a beloved sprite does not look like it did before.

But also sometimes changes are necessary, and welcomed from the majority of the community.

(I doubt the spriters would 'ruin' the sprites, they do their best to make them look fitting the cave and the sprites we have in here right now.

And I sincerely hope you'll come to like the sprites. Just give them a chance, and at least wait until you see them before you say 'nay' to them ^.^)

I didn't mean update- I am not super happy about it, but there is not much I can do and I just have to wait and see. What I meant is how plp react, it's like you cannot be worried/anxious, and if you are- you should stay quiet. So far those who like me fear this change are rather nice, noone said nasty things towards artists, they just share their thoughts. Maybe negative, but it is still legal and as long as you respect others you should be allowed to share your opinion. After few comments in this topic I feel like I should have stayed quiet. That's all.

I understand why some of you want to upgrade arts and game, to me DC is old school and that's what charmed me, but all I want to do was sharing my opinion in (naive maybe) hope that it matters. I do not want to upset artists nor other players, and I do not like the idea, that only positive, happy comments are welcome here.

Anyways, I do think that new spirits will be pretty, wish there was a way to leave old ones as well. Peace and love.

What I posted earlier was mostly in response to people's worry over the hollies, when TJ specifically said "2007 Christmas Dragons (Small shading and anatomy tweaks)" - which to me means they'll essentially look the same except with 100% less broken necks.

People will worry over change to sprites they love. That's ok. I don't really see people freaking out too badly.

We don't know how extensive the changes to the silvers will be. I'm personally in favor of whatever, though I sympathize with people who want to maintain the pose and colors. I'm not opposed to a complete change but given events of the past I kind of doubt if it will be totally different. And enough time has gone by from the silver update thread's closing for the sprites to look nothing like what was worked on in that thread, so I don't think we have anything to really go by. Except to trust that TJ knows what he's doing.

This. Thanks, Fiona BlueFire.

Let's see what happens smile.gif

I think I am the only one who is super-excited about Horses xd.png

I am so excited for the silver update. They are one of the ugliest dragons, but almost necessary to own due to their rarity. Where I have 22 CB golds (majority female because they are so beautiful), I only have 7 CB silvers. I've seen a lot of good update posts for them over the past couple years, and I just cannot wait. I feel like any update will improve them. I hope we don't have to wait for long! Also I love the horse dragons and I am thrilled, time to collect more!

I'm sure that once the sprites are out, people will show a little more love for Horses and Nilia pygmies. ^^

Or maybe we'll keep talking about silvers...

This. Thanks, Fiona BlueFire.

Let's see what happens smile.gif

No, actually, I am OK with them. Interested to see what they are like - I'm not sure I'd be OK wit a COLOUR change for the males as some have suggested (lineages and that) but....

I'm delighted about the Nilia - it needs dimorphism. Now perhaps the Crimson Flares too ? so that all pygmies have it ?

The Silver update was a public thread where anyone could submit their versions of updates. There was lots of discussion and lots of sprites. And nothing is stopping anyone from making more threads about updates to other sprites.

And sometimes, an artist just wants to update their work. I see nothing wrong with that.

And this time there is even warning before any sprites are being updated. I don't what more you could ask of.

Either way, whether there be a public thread about the updates or it be in private, there will still be negativity. There will still be people who don't like it.

But I'm all for change, and bettering the site and the art. smile.gif

That thread was two years ago, there's no guarantee that the silver sprites will come from that thread. Personally I'm not the type to get worked up over sprite updates, but I know that the community at large is - the golds are evidence of that - and I think when it comes to something like a beloved rare it might make more sense to get community opinion than not.

Mostly I was just irritated by some of the comments that I saw dismissing the anxiety and felt the need to respond.

That thread was two years ago, there's no guarantee that the silver sprites will come from that thread. Personally I'm not the type to get worked up over sprite updates, but I know that the community at large is - the golds are evidence of that - and I think when it comes to something like a beloved rare it might make more sense to get community opinion than not.

Mostly I was just irritated by some of the comments that I saw dismissing the anxiety and felt the need to respond.

To be fair, there is a distinct difference between expressing anxiety over a future change and assuming up front that whatever happens you won't like the outcome and therefore you might as well sell the farm and take up bicycle repair as soon as possible.

To be fair, there is a distinct difference between expressing anxiety over a future change and assuming up front that whatever happens you won't like the outcome and therefore you might as well sell the farm and take up bicycle repair as soon as possible.

Considering the reactions in the past, I actually think that this thread has been pretty reasonable. That's partly why the 'tut tut, wait until you see it' posts irritated me so much.

Considering the reactions in the past, I actually think that this thread has been pretty reasonable. That's partly why the 'tut tut, wait until you see it' posts irritated me so much.

Most people have been pretty reasonable, but having perused the thread since the beginning I think most of the "tut tuts" as you say were directed at the notable few who are already selling the farm, as it were.

The amount of dragons you need to raise / observe to unlock stuff for the Flamingos is rather ... ahm ... extensive, I'd say.

The amount of dragons you need to raise / observe to unlock stuff for the Flamingos is rather ... ahm ... extensive, I'd say.

Go check out the Holly Competiton thread - lots there.

Am I the only one a little peeved that this awesome Encyclopedia update *didn't* include entries for Lunars, Magelights, Hooktalons, and probably more that I'm forgetting? I mean, if we are going to get Encyclopedia updates, wouldn't it make sense to do all the updates at once? I'm.... Not understanding that.

The only ones you missed were Striped Rivers and Greater Spotted Drakes. I agree with you for the most part, the Lunar Heralds are new enough that I'm not concerned about their entry not being included, but the others were released before the Xenowyrms and Spirit Wards and even if their notes/information wasn't ready to be released yet, couldn't we at least have the sprites to unlock?

Meh I'm neutral on the sprite updates, to be honest. It's nice when things are improved but at the same time I'm fine with them the way they are now.