TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

I'm excited to see horse's and nilia pygmy's dimorphism! smile.gif

Yay. New Holly and Silver Sprites! I love nice sprites and the Holly Dragon is one of my least fave dragon maybe I can warm up with tem when they get a decent update. Not that the current sprite is bad. I am also exited to see the new horse sprite!

Mostly I'm looking forward to the new sprites, but I am a little worried about the silvers, just because I love the current silver sprites. It's not that I doubt the talent of the spriters overall, just this particular case, to me, has a really high bar for them to surpass.

Will the player avatar of two silver dragons remain the same?

However, several existing dragons are going to be receiving sprite updates over the coming weeks, including (but not limited to):

Interesting... I wonder if there's more than what is listed then! biggrin.gif

Edited by FortyTwo

OMG - now I want Mint dimorphism. And it's YOUR fault, FortyTwo.

For me, it's not about the sprite itself. I am sure they will be lovely, possibly even more lovely than before. I am more worried about there being a drastic pose change or a shade change. Seeing some of the potential sprites, I saw a few that--while good art on their own--would definitely change checkers already in existence. One is much darker in colour and would definitely make some of my checkers look atrocious, one--though absolutely gorgeous would change the pose enough on the males that I am trepidatious about a few of my lineages. I am very picky about both colour and poses in my checkers. rolleyes.gif On the other hand, that one is so pretty that I would find it in my heart to forgive the change eventually. cool.gif

So it is really a wait and see. It's going to happen no matter what, obviously, so complaining is not much use. However, I can understand being nervous. blink.gif

This. I have a fairly expansive silver / silver lined collection because, even though the sprites are fairly ugly to look at in full view, they look great in lineages. So while I see the appeal of making one of the cave's rarest dragons look as beautiful as they ought to, and will be quite pleased if all goes well, I'm also quite worried about it not going so good. Lineages are a huge part of the game for me and seeing things you worked hard to collect suddenly change on you in a way you dislike isn't fun. sad.gif

That's why I have mixed feelings on adding dimorphism to the other two breeds. While I don't do much with either one, and am thus interested in seeing how things go, I feel bad for anyone who DOES work lineages with these breeds based on their current look and then ends up disappointed. Especially when dimorphism isn't a necessary change by any means.

Also, I see some comments about how people should wait and see before deciding, mostly coming from artists... That's all well and good (and makes me wonder if these updates were discussed in the artists forum) but it just highlights that maybe stuff like wholesale updates to sprites should be presented to the community at large to at least make sure that majority opinion is in favour before they're implemented. Especially when it comes to beloved rares like the Hollies and Silvers tbh. I'm pretty easy-going and adapt to change but this has me very wary.

The Silver update was a public thread where anyone could submit their versions of updates. There was lots of discussion and lots of sprites. And nothing is stopping anyone from making more threads about updates to other sprites.

And sometimes, an artist just wants to update their work. I see nothing wrong with that.

And this time there is even warning before any sprites are being updated. I don't what more you could ask of.

Either way, whether there be a public thread about the updates or it be in private, there will still be negativity. There will still be people who don't like it.

But I'm all for change, and bettering the site and the art. smile.gif

Add me to the list of people who are upset just about reading there's going to be a sprite update of the Silvers and Hollies, especially the Hollies.

In general, I understand that artists want to improve their work and that for newer and other users as well it may seem strange comparing newer, more detailed sprites next to older ones.

However, especially the Hollies have been special for me and I do feel like it won't be the same anymore.

Well, let's see. I'm surely looking forward to dimorphism and Halloween and I'm excited about more Encyclopedia entries =)

Hm.

I'll just wait with getting an actual opinion about the new sprites until I see them.

Still can decide then if I like them or not (As if the hollies could get any more neck breaking than they are right now)

Anyhow, WHOHO, changes to the mobile site! ^.^

Glad silvers are getting looked at! Hopefully I'll like the changes. smile.gif

And hollies too, they looked fairly dated.

Edited by Paprika

My Holly is one of my two most treasured dragons... and I am SO PSYCHED for the Holly update. In my opinion every single dragon update has been a substantial improvement-- the Val 09s, the horses, the golds are so much better now-- and I can't wait to see what they do with the beautiful but dated Holly artwork.

Very excited for the silvers too, and I can't wait to see the new horse pose!

Considering the uproar (and how many people still complain) over the Gold update, which IMO was desperately needed (I refused to have more than a token 2 on my scroll before the update)... I can say that regardless of how fantastic (or not) the new sprites are.... There will be mobs with pitchforks. I hope TJ and the spriter are wearing their pitchfork-proof vests! tongue.gif

And yes, this not even giving the sprites a CHANCE is extremely typical of the DC userbase. *gets popcorn bowl*. This should be interesting!

Though personally, I think it'll be interesting to see how it works out. Will the advanced notice give people a chance to work out Change: NOOOO!!!!!! anger *before* the new Silvers turn up, thereby lessening the hate directed at the new sprite (and spriter), or will it just give that crew a chance to build up an even bigger head of steam? *ponders* We shall see!

*is highly amused

Cheers!

C4.

My Holly is one of my two most treasured dragons... and I am SO PSYCHED for the Holly update. In my opinion every single dragon update has been a substantial improvement-- the Val 09s, the horses, the golds are so much better now-- and I can't wait to see what they do with the beautiful but dated Holly artwork.

Very excited for the silvers too, and I can't wait to see the new horse pose!

The '09 Vals were one of my favorite dragons - so chubby!

I know I'm going to eventually lose my beloved outdated Red sprites. They look so dragon-y, and medieval, and those horns, I mean, to die for. But they will probably be replaced by sleeker, shinier models at some point. And I will just deal w/it. It's kind of like when the new Dodge Charger came out. I'm an old MOPAR fan, and haven't been impressed w/new cars since the late 70s... and I thought the whole 'new' Charger thing was a horrible idea. But now, a few years later, I see a new Charger on the road & I'm like, "Huh... it's not sooo bad. In fact, it's one of the better-looking new models out there".

The '09 Vals were one of my favorite dragons - so chubby!

I know I'm going to eventually lose my beloved outdated Red sprites. They look so dragon-y, and medieval, and those horns, I mean, to die for. But they will probably be replaced by sleeker, shinier models at some point. And I will just deal w/it. It's kind of like when the new Dodge Charger came out. I'm an old MOPAR fan, and haven't been impressed w/new cars since the late 70s... and I thought the whole 'new' Charger thing was a horrible idea. But now, a few years later, I see a new Charger on the road & I'm like, "Huh... it's not sooo bad. In fact, it's one of the better-looking new models out there".

78 Dodge Aspen owner here. wink.gif Modern cars have zero character. They all look the same. Same colors. Mostly the same boxy shapes. Nothing sets them apart from each other anymore.

I still have hope that the reds don't change since Kila has said she is the only one who has been given the okay to do the update and she was only looking to do a little shading and tip them to standing flat, which wasn't a high priority for her. *fingers crossed*

C4, I have not seen anyone who is opposed to the update "hating" on the new sprites. Quite the opposite actually. All have seem to state that they are sure the sprites will be wonderful. The problem comes from the lost of nostalgia, personal meaning, and how they stand to effect lineages.

I find that the knee-jerk defensive reactions towards anxiety and nervousness over the upcoming updates is what's typical of DC Forums. People having emotions and opinions over things is nothing new, and should individuals want to air out their worries and excitement, let them be. Taking what a person says and trying to diminish what they're feeling as being pre-judgemental, or silly, or heaven forbid 'mean to spriters', is just inciting drama where there doesn't need to be any.

I'm not seeing people 'not giving the sprites a chance', as many have reiterated that they're sure they'll be just lovely. Discussing the loss of attachment, nostalgia, etc. is a possibility many are anticipating, with good reason, and comes with the knowledge of imminent change. You can't stop people from feeling what they do, even if you yourself may not agree or understand it. It's not like there's anywhere else for people to post about it. =p

78 Dodge Aspen owner here.  wink.gif Modern cars have zero character. They all look the same. Same colors. Mostly the same boxy shapes. Nothing sets them apart from each other anymore.

I still have hope that the reds don't change since Kila has said she is the only one who has been given the okay to do the update and she was only looking to do a little shading and tip them to standing flat, which wasn't a high priority for her. *fingers crossed*

C4, I have not seen anyone who is opposed to the update "hating" on the new sprites. Quite the opposite actually. All have seem to state that they are sure the sprites will be wonderful. The problem comes from the lost of nostalgia, personal meaning, and how they stand to effect lineages.

This, exactly. Also there IS the effect changes have on existing lineages. I was lucky I had so few golds, as those lineages were hugely changed when the sprite changed. I'm not "hating on the new sprites" without seeing them; what I said was that I DID hate almost all the proposed ones in the silver thread as updates to a loved sprite. They were all inyourface OTT, in my not even slightly humble opinion.

Modern cars are so BORING and have loads of silly stickyout bits to make them look DIFFERENT when the result is that they all just look like cars with silly stickyout bits. I want my 1997 Fiat Panda back. Even more I want our old Renault 4 from the 60s.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Thank you, Nine. You said that much better than I could have. I am really not seeing hate and outrage here or drama, either -- just people expressing honest anxiety about the changes. Nostalgia has more power for some of us than others. Please allow us to express how the prospect of change makes us feel. No one is trying to shut down the people who are going "Yay, new sprites!" so allow the same courtesy to those who don't feel that way. Our feelings are not "wrong" somehow and it is not bad for us to express them here. And those of us who really care about the appearance of our lineages may see updates much differently than those who just collect sprites on a scroll.

Edited by purplehaze

You will always get the dramatic users that say something like "Wow, I really hate this change. I'm going to quit DC, gg."

Unfortunately we tend to notice these people since they post about their thoughts, while many people who approve do not/are not as noticed.

You will always get the dramatic users that say something like "Wow, I really hate this change. I'm going to quit DC, gg."

Unfortunately we tend to notice these people since they post about their thoughts, while many people who approve do not/are not as noticed.

Please refer back to Nine's post. No one has said anything about quitting. There has been no drama.

Srsly, I feel unwanted here. I am not happy about update and suddenly my opinion is dramatic, knee-jerk and defensive. If I was over the moon about those changes my opinions and posts would be welcome, but when I am unsure about changes, I am a bad apple here.

It's a forum, right? An open public space, right?

I'm curious if TJ could post the sprite changes on the front page so people could actually see them before hand. I realize a lot of people are on a fence with this kind of thing until they can actually see the new sprite replacing the one they have known. Honestly change isn't always bad but neither is holding onto something you like, both opinions make a lot of sense.