TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

Lol, I was looking through my unlocked info on Falconiforms, found this:

"They are an shy breed. It is hard to ge close to them if the wyvern isn’t already familiar."

xd.png

I like the current Silver sprites too, but I'm still looking forward to seeing them updated.

Maybe is love what you don't understand. There are many forms and ways to love something. I simply love the silvers the way they are and I'm heartbroken to see them replaced, no matter if the new sprite will be shinier and prettier. I love silvers. As they are.

I saved the sprites to my computer but it won't be the same.

I'm terribly heartbroken.

I will use the whiptail as an example. It is a sprite that was updated fairly recently, and I saw very few, if any, complaints about it. It is an example of a change that was almost universally was hailed as good.

Perhaps that's because the new Whiptail is the same as the old one except it's a little larger and a little straighter. On the other hand, look at what happened with the Golds. While the male is nice, the female looks like a dog being attacked by a giant moth, or bat, or something. It doesn't resemble the handsome male at all.

Like they say! of it ain't broke Don't fix it.. Why mess about with them now? i like them the way they are.. I will be so sad to have them changed now... sad.gif

I agree with Anniepimm on this. DC is an excellent game, why mess with the older things that made it that way? unsure.gif

Maybe is love what you don't understand. There are many forms and ways to love something. I simply love the silvers the way they are and I'm heartbroken to see them replaced, no matter if the new sprite will be shinier and prettier. I love silvers. As they are.

I saved the sprites to my computer but it won't be the same.

I'm terribly heartbroken.

To me it's like saying the new Pokémon just aren't the same as the old ones. Sure, a lot has changed since gen 1, but I love Pokémon just as much now as I did back then.

Now if you want to complain about the art after it comes out I'll not be so frustrated with it. It's just the hatred of change in general that baffles me.

Edited by Tehya Faye

The problem is the sprites kind of are "broke"

The neck on the male sprite is neigh impossible without breaking his vertebrae.

The kneecap on the female looks like it's popping out of skin.

The shading is really dull and looks more grey than silver

(No offense to the original spriter, but the sprites really are outdated)

They really need the update...

Hopefully, again, on the silver revamp thread, there were a lot of sprites submitted which captured the original look and pose of the sprites, but fixed the anatomy issues and helped make them more silver rather than grey.

Okay, I really get that some people are upset and are expressing their opinions, but do we really need all the whining? I doubt the silvers will be changed dramatically. I think they are just being updated anatomically and perhaps a bit with their shading. Even if they are being changed, being upset won't help. TJ could've released the new sprites without giving us time to get worked up over it :/

I'm really happy about the planned dimorphism for the nilias and horses. I wonder which gender the current nilia will be for. I just know that the horses will look fabulous as well! I'm happy in general about the updates, and the new mobile setup looks beautiful. I'm a bit disappointed that there won't be a release this month, but I guess we just have to hope that the new Halloweens will be amazing. I love that festive trick-or-treat spirit xd.png

To me it's like saying the new Pokémon just aren't the same as the old ones. Sure, a lot has changed since gen 1, but I love Pokémon just as much now as I did back then.

Now if you want to complain about the art after it comes out I'll not be so frustrated with it. It's just the hatred of change in general that baffles me.

The majority of human beings are resistant to change. It's part of human nature because only the known is safe. It's how we've survived. Basic psychology. We have to adapt to change.

Most of us have to deal with change on a daily basis, which makes an unnecessary change to something we deem as an escape from the real world more frustrating than exciting.

Niyaka, please refrain from the use of the term whining. It's argumentative and creates exactly what you're complaining when I have yet to see anyone "whine." People are expressing their concerns. The fact that they can't without being spoken down to is what I find wrong with this forum. Any opinion that differs from popular opinion is automatically devalued and creates hostility where there was none.

Edited by Sir Barton

The problem is that all the negativity is putting a damper on our excitement. We feel just as challenged as you are.

If you had a pet bird which had a crooked foot and you came back one day to find someone had replaced it with one with perfect feet - would you be thrilled ?

OK that may be a bit OTT. If you came home to find your parents had redecorated your room because of a crack in the wall that needed spackling, and had changed the colour - would you be delighted ?

If you have something you love, you don't want it changed. Then it ceases to be that which you loved. The whiptails barely changed. If I were sure the silvers would change that little - fine. But the golds still upset me, and if I had ever had any CB old pinks, that would have upset me too. I still WANT THEM.

If you had a pet bird which had a crooked foot and you came back one day to find someone had replaced it with one with perfect feet - would you be thrilled ?

OK that may be a bit OTT. If you came home to find your parents had redecorated your room because of a crack in the wall that needed spackling, and had changed the colour - would you be delighted ?

If you have something you love, you don't want it changed. Then it ceases to be that which you loved. The whiptails barely changed. If I were sure the silvers would change that little - fine. But the golds still upset me, and if I had ever had any CB old pinks, that would have upset me too. I still WANT THEM.

Depends on the color of the room. If it went from orange and pink polka dotted with a teddy bear motif to offwhite or a light shade of blue, I'd be delighted. ;p

OK that may be a bit OTT. If you came home to find your parents had redecorated your room because of a crack in the wall that needed spackling, and had changed the colour - would you be delighted

Yes, actually. I absolutely loved having my room rearranged and redecorated. To me it was just as exciting and awesome as getting a new game. It makes me actually notice my room rather than largely ignoring it out of familiarity. I don't really pay attention to things I'm used to because there's no reason to do so.

Edited by Tehya Faye

Niyaka, please refrain from the use of the term whining. It's argumentative and creates exactly what you're complaining when I have yet to see anyone "whine." People are expressing their concerns. The fact that they can't without being spoken down to is what I find wrong with this forum. Any opinion that differs from popular opinion is automatically devalued and creates hostility where there was none.

Yet you accuse me of complaining, which is essentially the same things as whining. And it seems to me that this is what a fair amount of people have been doing. I apologize, I was not trying to attack anyone. I'm just happy about the updates, and it grates on my nerves that some people here are—not whining—feeling the need to show their displeasure in ways that seem a bit rude and not that fun. I think that's what's wrong on the forum, not someone asking people to stop complaining. I think some of us are making sprite updates a bigger deal than they truly are. But all in all, I wish that it wouldn't make anyone unhappy. To everyone who doesn't want the change, I'm sorry. I hope you find that you like the updated sprites.

I will not pretend to be thrilled with this announcement when I am not just to make some members who can't stand different opinions to feel more comfortable. I am a member and an user like everyone else and I'm entitled to voice my opinion.

I am no thrilled with the announcement to update the silver sprite no matter how crooked or outdated some people think they are, I love them. I have 20 silvers and each one of them have a story wich makes them even more valuable to me.

I am upset with this announcement and I will keep saying this. I don't care if the new sprite will be better drawn and shinier, I love the current ones. In my opinion only small updates should happen. If someone makes an entire new dragon, then release that dragon as a new dragon, don't retire a beloved old dragon.

New things are not always better.

We don't know what this new thing looks like, though.

This is one of the things that you are not understanding: it doesn't matter. I like the current dragon, I don't want it replaced by a new one, no matter how this new one looks.

We don't know what this new thing looks like, though.

It looks like the end of the world, I assume.

Just because something isn't a big deal to you, it doesn't automatically mean that it can't be a big deal to someone else. Just agree to disagree without disrespecting them.

For me, I'm nervous that the change to the silvers will be more along the lines of the golds (where they're not really related to the originals at all) than the whiptails (refining without changing the overall look). I, for one, never minded the anatomy with them. I mean, dragons are mythical creatures, who says that their necks can't bend the way the male's does. smile.gif I didn't see the thread with the options for the update, so it's a huge uncertainty for me.

I am hoping that the sprite updates will still keep the spirit of the original ones (like the whiptails) and not go in a completely different direction (like the golds).

This is one of the things that you are not understanding: it doesn't matter. I like the current dragon, I don't want it replaced by a new one, no matter how this new one looks.

Well, yes, I don't understand why an objectively better sprite is considered worse simply because it's newer.

It looks like the end of the world, I assume.

I guess so!

Edit: I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but it's just baffling. I can totally get complaining about something after finding out what it looks like because then you're complaining about something tangible. But complaining about change itself? I just don't get that, and never will. D:

Edited by Tehya Faye

Before I say ANYTHING, I'm not accusing ANYONE of complaining

Yes everyone should be able to voice their opinion

But you can't change it unless TJ think it is absolutely necessary

But yes, tons of people love the current sprites and they mean so much to people

Everyone can each have their own separate opinions, but there is no need to be rude or passive aggressive to one another.

I'm stuck right in the middle, I'm curious to see what they can turn out to look like, but I'm also regretting the change because they are so pretty as they are.

I am personally nervous that because all the sprites are going to be updated that they might change a lot

But they could all be getting minor tweaks

Who knows?! I'm just going to wait and see and prove what I think when they come. smile.gif

*runs away and hides forever xd.png*

Edited by Clya

Before I say ANYTHING, I'm not accusing ANYONE of complaining

Yes everyone should be able to voice their opinion

But you can't change it unless TJ think it is absolutely necessary

But yes, tons of people love the current sprites and they mean so much to people

Everyone can each have their own separate opinions, but there is no need to be rude or passive aggressive to one another.

I'm stuck right in the middle, I'm curious to see what they can turn out to look like, but I'm also regretting the change because they are so pretty as they are.

I am personally nervous that because all the sprites are going to be updated that they might change a lot

But they could all be getting minor tweaks

Who knows?! I'm just going to wait and see and prove what I think when they come. smile.gif

*runs away and hides forever xd.png*

See, you don't bother me in the slightest. You're apprehensive about the change, which is perfectly fine and understandable. I'm just confused by those who hate the fact that change is happening at all. Not that they're worried about what the change will be, or if they'll dislike what it is, but that it is happening. No matter what the new sprites look like they will hate it. Even if they like the sprites they will hate them. I just don't get that.

Well, yes, I don't understand why an objectively better sprite is considered worse simply because it's newer.

Edit: I'm fine with agreeing to disagree, but it's just baffling. I can totally get complaining about something after finding out what it looks like because then you're complaining about something tangible. But complaining about change itself? I just don't get that, and never will. D:

Because you are losing the old one! It's a loss, not a gain, no matter how the new sprite looks like. We are losing the silver dragons! Some other dragon will be in its place and the beautiful silver dragon will be gone forever!

If you still don't understand, I have no idea what to say to clarify to you.

I think I am the only one who is super-excited about Horses xd.png

You are not the only one. I like dimorphism.

Also i cannot wait for the female Nilia Pymies.

And please do not say to all the users who politly express their feelings about the changing of a sprite that they will grown to the new sprite and should be quiet...

The sprites that i saw in the old thread for the silvers all are not my favourites.

*waiting for the be-not-whiny-comments*

I'll never understand nostalgia. >_>

TL;DR: birdz plays video games a lot, retro video games are great, remade/updated versions of those games are also greatff7 remake HYPE, fanbases expand/are renewed because the newer game brings in a new audience, yeah. New != bad.

Replace "video games" with "sprites" and you have DC.

Nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing. I still play and love FF7 partially because of nostalgia.

The issue is when nostalgia causes someone to look at everything old with rose-coloured glasses.

A great, ever-prevalent example of this is Pokemon "Genwunners" ("Everything after the first/second gen is terrible!" "The new games suck!" "The new Pokemon suck!" etc).

One of the most important things about loving something is to also be able to admit if the thing you love has faults. I absolutely love the Holly Dragon. It is, by far, my favourite "retro" dragon here on DC. It's simple, cute, pudgy, and has amazing tiny fwoop fwoop wings, and I could probably go on for another hour about how much I love them but I won't to spare everyone their sanity.

With all that said, however, I'm not going to sit here and say that the sprite can't be better. The sprite is dated and it has a multitude of issues. Seeing a Holly Dragon 2.0 is a welcome idea to me. (And really, "shading and anatomy tweaks" sounds more like a "Holly Dragon [patch 1.1]" than a full-blown 2.0, which is even better.)

I was beyond ecstatic when I got my own Holly. But I know that with today's standards, the Holly isn't exactly up to snuff. 2007 was a pretty long time ago in internet/technology years. DC gets new players every day. Most of those new people just don't have the same attachment to those older sprites the same way that older players do. It's not a bad thing. It's just how things go. Updating a sprite, much like remaking a game, opens up the possibility for a renewed and expanded fanbase. Which I honestly think is a really great thing.

It's like how Pokemon Red/Green got updated to Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green. Same game (mostly), updated graphics and assets and less-buggy coding. And it was made up to date (for its time, anyway). It widened the Gen1 fanbase, because the younger generation of gamers could pick up Fire Red and play it on their Gameboy Advance like I used to pick up Red Version and play it on my Gameboy Color. Or how the FF7 remake will let a younger/newer generation of gamers enjoy FF7 on their PS4 like I (thoroughly) enjoyed the original on my PS1.

I love remakes. I welcome them, because they help newer generations appreciate the same thing that I've appreciated since years before. And I will certainly not close my mind to the idea of something I love being remade or retouched simply because "it's old and I like it."

Again though, nostalgia isn't bad. It only gets bad if someone lets it blind them, causing them to fight against change and hating the idea of something new, and that anything new would ruin everything. That's just counterproductive.

Birdzy's post is beautiful and explains why I'm not bothered by this.

TL;DR: birdz plays video games a lot, retro video games are great, remade/updated versions of those games are also greatff7 remake HYPE, fanbases expand/are renewed because the newer game brings in a new audience, yeah. New != bad.

Replace "video games" with "sprites" and you have DC.

Nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing. I still play and love FF7 partially because of nostalgia.

The issue is when nostalgia causes someone to look at everything old with rose-coloured glasses.

A great, ever-prevalent example of this is Pokemon "Genwunners" ("Everything after the first/second gen is terrible!" "The new games suck!" "The new Pokemon suck!" etc).

One of the most important things about loving something is to also be able to admit if the thing you love has faults. I absolutely love the Holly Dragon. It is, by far, my favourite "retro" dragon here on DC. It's simple, cute, pudgy, and has amazing tiny fwoop fwoop wings, and I could probably go on for another hour about how much I love them but I won't to spare everyone their sanity.

With all that said, however, I'm not going to sit here and say that the sprite can't be better. The sprite is dated and it has a multitude of issues. Seeing a Holly Dragon 2.0 is a welcome idea to me. (And really, "shading and anatomy tweaks" sounds more like a "Holly Dragon [patch 1.1]" than a full-blown 2.0, which is even better.)

I was beyond ecstatic when I got my own Holly. But I know that with today's standards, the Holly isn't exactly up to snuff. 2007 was a pretty long time ago in internet/technology years. DC gets new players every day. Most of those new people just don't have the same attachment to those older sprites the same way that older players do. It's not a bad thing. It's just how things go. Updating a sprite, much like remaking a game, opens up the possibility for a renewed and expanded fanbase. Which I honestly think is a really great thing.

It's like how Pokemon Red/Green got updated to Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green. Same game (mostly), updated graphics and assets and less-buggy coding. And it was made up to date (for its time, anyway). It widened the Gen1 fanbase, because the younger generation of gamers could pick up Fire Red and play it on their Gameboy Advance like I used to pick up Red Version and play it on my Gameboy Color. Or how the FF7 remake will let a younger/newer generation of gamers enjoy FF7 on their PS4 like I (thoroughly) enjoyed the original on my PS1.

I love remakes. I welcome them, because they help newer generations appreciate the same thing that I've appreciated since years before. And I will certainly not close my mind to the idea of something I love being remade or retouched simply because "it's old and I like it."

Again though, nostalgia isn't bad. It only gets bad if someone lets it blind them, causing them to fight against change and hating the idea of something new, and that anything new would ruin everything. That's just counterproductive.

Oh, I'll agree that the old Red/Blue/Gold/Silver/Crystal have their old retro charm. I look at people playing them and look back fondly on those memories. That's the nostalgia I understand - remembering the good times you had playing that game back when you were younger.

At the same time, however, I can't go back to those old games. The gameplay is bad. The Red/Blue sprites are mostly awkward. Things I love about the new games are missing. I just can't go back to it myself, even if I do enjoy watching other people play it. HeartGold and SoulSilver are better games, and they still trigger those old happy feelings. HeartGold and SoulSilver are still Gold and Silver; they're just better versions of those old games. Changed, but still the same.

The same applies here - I'm not losing the old Silvers. The new sprite will still be the Silvers, most likely better than ever. I'll appreciate the charm of the old Silvers, but provided that I like the newer versions there's no way I could ever go back to them.

(FFVII is still playable for me, though. The gameplay aged okay. xd.png)

Edited by Tehya Faye